• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2008 NPD Thread - HW Shortages + Spectacular SW

SW Results are in:

[360 Burnout Paradise] 144.1K
[360 Call of Duty 4] 330.9K
[360 Rock Band] 183.8K
[WII Guitar Hero III] 239.6K
[WII Super Mario Galaxy] 172K
[360 Kingdom Under Fire: CoD] = 52K
[NDS Advance Wars: DoR] = 81K
[PS3 Burnout Paradise] = 83K
[PS3 Uncharted] = 54K
[WII No More Heroes] = 65K

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
MassiveAttack said:
bluraykill.gif
:lol

pulga said:
Holy crap! Thos Resident Evil 5 pics are scary! The guys at Capcom have outdone themselves again! Even the Wii version looks so lifelike!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sonycowboy said:
SW Results are in:

[360 Rock Band] 183.8K
[PS3 Uncharted] = 54K

Awesome. Thank you sc

Interesting NMH number. Still very good

AW should have done more

Loudninja

sonycowboy said:
SW Results are in:

[360 Rock Band] 183.8K
[PS3 Uncharted] = 54K

Thanks

sonycowboy said:
SW Results are in:

[360 Rock Band] 183.8K
[PS3 Uncharted] = 54K

23i9vnk.gif

Lightning

Banned
sonycowboy said:
SW Results are in:

[360 Rock Band] 183.8K
[PS3 Uncharted] = 54K

Not to bad. I would prefer Uncharted a little higher, but no matter, keep selling for many NPD's and I will be happy.

Bulla564

Banned
Toshiba semi-confirmation of conceded defeat will help the PS3 in February and March for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if PS3 keeps the momentum, even when the 360 alleviates the situation.

It will be interesting to see what GTAIV+Blu-ray vs GTAIV+exclusive DLC will mean for both consoles in terms of hardware push.

solid2snake said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol
Just right...

dolemite

sonycowboy said:
SW Results are in:

[360 Rock Band] 183.8K
[PS3 Uncharted] = 54K
Good man:D

dolemite

Also Microsoft stated that Halo 3 sold 127k for the month
After five months on the market, Halo 3 continues to make the top 10 best selling games list according to NPD with 127,000 additional units sold in January. (U.S. NPD, January)

Rur0ni

Spotless Mind said:
OMG i am literally in shivers. This is so AMAZING! I have been saying from the beginning that 2008 would be Sony's comeback year. I am so bloody giddy right now, omg Sony WINS. :D :D :D
I came here only to quote this post. I am in disbelief.

jett

D-Member
sonycowboy said:
SW Results are in:

[360 Rock Band] 183.8K
[PS3 Uncharted] = 54K

PS3 owners fail. Fail at life. I hope all the non-Uncharted-owning SOB's PS3s collectively brick.

DeadGzuz

Banned
[360 Burnout Paradise] = 144.1K

.144/9.3 = 1.6%
.083/3.5 = 2.4%

So I guess PS3 owners do buy games. Great game and it deserves more sales on both systems, better than COD4 IMO.

jett said:
PS3 owners fail. Fail at life. I hope all the non-Uncharted-owning SOB's PS3s collectively brick.
^^
may their days be filled with pot holes and speeding tickets and their nights with incontinence and mosquito bites.

Lightning

Banned
Shiggy said:
It came from the banned site and the result is why the site is banned. :lol

Bulla564 said:
Toshiba semi-confirmation of conceded defeat will help the PS3 in February and March for sure.
And Walmart said they are going BR exclusive from June. Only stocking BR players and movies. :D

Busaiku

That Advance Wars number looks good, how does it compare to the first one (for DS)?

Great numbers of No More Heroes. Even if it's not 100k, that's still a huge success for a Grasshopper game.

Tiktaalik

How are these sales compared to the sales of Advance Wars: Dual Strike? There are more DS's on the market now, so it should be better, but at the same time, I sort of felt like it was a stealth release.

ivysaur12

Banned
Marvelous gave us the numbers up to today, not just for January.

Still, great numbers for NMH. I'm still wondering what NiGHTS and Endless Ocean sold, though.

Busaiku

ivysaur12 said:
Marvelous gave us the numbers up to today, not just for January.

Still, great numbers for NMH. I'm still wondering what NiGHTS and Endless Ocean sold, though.
NiGHTS did 60k in December, I don't think it did very much at all this month.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
DeadGzuz said:
.144/9.3 = 1.6%
.083/3.5 = 2.4%

So I guess PS3 owners do buy games. Great game and it deserves more sales on both systems, better than COD4 IMO.

Can this flawed logic stop? Not the fact that games do in fact sell on the PS3, but the crap that ANY console is better because it is selling a game to X% of owners when the two consoles installed base are not the same.

The higher ANY consoles installed base becomes, the lower % attach rate for X game becomes. Let's take Madden during the PS2 for example. Early on, it sold to ~15% of the PS2 owners. Now, that means it would have sold ~15M on the PS2 alone later on. Problem is, as the installed base grows, your attach % does NOT stay level. Game sales INCREASE, % attach DECREASES.

How does this flawed logic persist? Comparing the fact that a console with a much smaller installed base sold to a higher % of its installed base, is mildly retarded. What we be a much better comparison (that we will never have) is seeing the amount of ALL titles sold on each platform. Then, you could compare the % of owners that purchase software. Some people just will NOT purchase X game, but they'll buy Y. Therefore, the larger the installed base grows, the lower the % attach rate for X game will be, while having higher overall sales.

I hope this sinks in finally.

d+pad

Man, I hope a few more Wii owners pick up Endless Ocean. It deserves to be a hit, especially among the so-called casual crowd...

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
d+pad said:
Man, I hope a few more Wii owners pick up Endless Ocean. It deserves to be a hit, especially among the so-called casual crowd...

Agreed wholeheartedly. It's just that not a lot of people have a clue what it is.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
sonycowboy said:
SW Results are in:

[360 Rock Band] 183.8K

[PS3 Uncharted] = 54K

Thanks. That is a lot of software for Jan.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
squatingyeti said:
Can this flawed logic stop? Not the fact that games do in fact sell on the PS3, but the crap that ANY console is better because it is selling a game to X% of owners when the two consoles installed base are not the same.

The higher ANY consoles installed base becomes, the lower % attach rate for X game becomes. Let's take Madden during the PS2 for example. Early on, it sold to ~15% of the PS2 owners. Now, that means it would have sold ~15M on the PS2 alone later on. Problem is, as the installed base grows, your attach % does NOT stay level. Game sales INCREASE, % attach DECREASES.

How does this flawed logic persist? Comparing the fact that a console with a much smaller installed base sold to a higher % of its installed base, is mildly retarded. What we be a much better comparison (that we will never have) is seeing the amount of ALL titles sold on each platform. Then, you could compare the % of owners that purchase software. Some people just will NOT purchase X game, but they'll buy Y. Therefore, the larger the installed base grows, the lower the % attach rate for X game will be, while having higher overall sales.

I hope this sinks in finally.
This never sunk in when it applied to the 360, it'll never sink in when applied to the PS3.

Tiktaalik said:
How are these sales compared to the sales of Advance Wars: Dual Strike? There are more DS's on the market now, so it should be better, but at the same time, I sort of felt like it was a stealth release.

If I remember, Dual Strike sold about 45k in it's first month, but went on to over 200k.

Joe211

Shepherd said:
The 360 Software number is the real winner here.

360 839,000
PS3 140,000

try again kid :lol

DeadGzuz said:
From MS's PR.

Install bases in US

360 - ~9.31m
PS3 - ~3.52m

Math:

9.31/3.52 = 2.65

2.65 * $80m = $212m

So it seems these BD watching non-hardcore PS3 owners do buy games. Anyone care to spin this?

jett said:
Still with this talk? Common man, the game already did 1Mil and it'll probably continue to sell "poorly" up to 2Mil or close.

jett said:

54k in January for a game that's a few months old isn't bad. It might be the first sign of longevity.

Aside from that, though, Uncharted was excellent, but not so great as to deserve this kind of drama.

NMH is probably at 100k by now (Anyone who thinks Suda would get sales numbers from ******** and post them on the official site are morons. He probably posted more up to date numbers)

Absolutely amazing for a Grasshopper Suda game! It's by far his most successful game to date and it was done on the Wii (Where supposedly nothing but casual shovelware and Nintendo games sell and with no advertising to boot!)

Bravo Grasshopper, Bravo Suda :D

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Joe211 said:
try again kid :lol

Not that I agree with the poster you quoted, but see my post above. Using % of attach is mildly retarded. UNLESS the consoles only had a statistical noise difference in install base. However, for the millionth time, the larger your install base, the lower the % attach for X game. Happens with every console.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
squatingyeti said:
He didn't say the latter so why don't you come down off of the soapbox.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
squatingyeti said:
When did it apply to the 360? It's always been out longer than both the Wii and PS3.
It was being compared to the PS2 and retroactively to the Wii and PS3. In fact, the entire mantra of "360 is a beast" stemmed from a gross misunderstanding of how tie-ratios work and change over time.

Joe211

squatingyeti said:
Not that I agree with the poster you quoted, but see my post above. Using % of attach is mildly retarded. UNLESS the consoles only had a statistical noise difference in install base. However, for the millionth time, the larger your install base, the lower the % attach for X game. Happens with every console.

that's not the case here señor

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
kaching said:
He didn't say the latter so why don't you come down off of the soapbox.

Really, did you not see that math formula which required a difference between 360 and PS3 installed base. It doesn't matter if you're talking about % attach or anything else. You can't just say sales would increase by this much because the same % of people would pick up games if there was a larger installed base.

Top Bottom