• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

gtj1092

sonycowboy said:
Many thanks to NPD for their support.

Industry up 28%, SW up 41% to $591.1M

HW
DS 608k
Wii 555k
Playstation 3 225k
PSP 222k
Xbox 360 205k
Playstation 2 155k

Top 10 SW
360 NCAA FOOTBALL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS JULY 2008 397.6K
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA MAY 2008 369.6K
NDS GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR ACTIVISION JUNE 2008 309.7K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 284K
PS3 NCAA FOOTBALL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS JULY 2008 242.5K
360 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA JULY 2008 218.9K
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA APRIL 2008 174.5K
WII ROCK BAND SPECIAL ED BUNDLE MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS JUNE 2008 165.8K
PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA JULY 2008 155.8K
360 SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION TAKE 2 INT. CORP. JULY 2008 147.6K

Surprised Ps3 topped 360 with essentially a $200 price difference . That pretty much I think wraps up any more thoughts of a price drop for Ps3 this fall.

Grecco

What a drop off for MGS4 Yikes.

Looks like Civ got the End of July Xbox needs a new game boost. Good for them

(Forgot it was NPD day)

CuznLarry

Banned
360 SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION TAKE 2 INT. CORP. JULY 2008 147.6K

Before this thread degenerates into it's usual dumbness, I'd just like to note how good it is that this game found an audience. Hope the PS3 version sales were just as fortunate.

Kusagari said:
How is 360 still behind PS3? Seriously, that's gotta be freaking MS out a little.

I doubt the 20,000 margin is keeping them up nights to be honest. To them I'm sure they see it as nothing insurmountable. They can wipeout this "win" in like one good month, presuming that they have one left in them.

botticus

Wow, I was pessimistic on the 360 price drop and it still did worse than I thought. As did PS3.

Unfortunate Rock Band Wii sales, and amazing GH DS.

Some musings:

MGS4 dropped out of the top 10
Similarly, MGSbump is over
360 sells more software, but PS3 is slightly outselling it with hardware
NCAA Wii nowhere to be found (in top 10)
Wii Rock Band looking to show some early Guitar Hero like legs.

Struct09

First time since it launched that GH3 isn't in the top ten?

I'm not too surprised to see Rock Band Wii doing moderately well, but hopefully Harmonix/MTV/Pi deliver a more fully featured game with Rock Band 2 for Wii. Not that I care too much since I'm getting the 360 version :p

Syntek

didn't Namco say they shipped around 2 million SCIV? NA numbers didn't even cross 400k, Japan looks like its sitting on 130k, that leaves like 1.5 million for the rest of the world? That can't be right...

mr stroke

BenjaminBirdie said:
I doubt the 20,000 margin is keeping them up nights to be honest. To them I'm sure they see it as nothing insurmountable. They can wipeout this "win" in like one good month, presuming that they have one left in them.

So does PS3 continue beat 360 every month until Gears 2? then PS3 win in Dec again?

BenjaminBirdie said:
I doubt the 20,000 margin is keeping them up nights to be honest. To them I'm sure they see it as nothing insurmountable.

It should when their system is $200 cheaper and they're still being outsold.

jacobs34

I hate to play Devils advocate but one month of a 20K advantage does not make up for a whole year of 50-100K + advantages. I really care who wins the console "war," but there is no logic in this thread.

goompapa

Oh, and Namdai shipped 2 million+ copy's of Soul Calibur ?!
Known results:
Japan ~ 150k
USA ~ 400k

Either Europe are eating them for lunch or we can expect pricedrops very soon.:lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Right, so Wii is still selling strong, with games like Wii Fit, MK Wii and RB Wii strong sellers, DS is...wrong, so very wrong, yet so right.

PS3 and Xbox 360 locked in an irrelevant battle for who can sell 20k more month by month, both doing pretty well software wise though, College football and hitting each other being the pick of the month (Oh, and Civ Rev...good stuff).

On to next month, should be fun.
Mama Robotnik said:
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd337/mappster56/gaftrek2.gif
Gaftrek, hahaha, good stuff.

Oh, I missed GH:On Tour, Fuck me, I expect OT2 (Guitar Hero OT: Iron Maiden to go, say this Acti and I will forgive you for your current sins) to be announced....about now I suppose

mr stroke said:
So does PS3 continue beat 360 every month until Gears 2? then PS3 win in Dec again?

I think there'll be a price drop before that, to be honest, and a pretty aggressive one after seeing this month.

Crisis

Banned
It's not terribly surprising to see the 360 not doing so well for July. Everybody and their mother knew about the price drop. It was all over the internet. The price drop went into effect about halfway through the month and they're not producing 20GB models anymore. I'm also not terribly surprised that Metal Gear isn't in the top 10 this month. There's five high-profile "new" releases on that list. (Soul Calibur, NCAA Football, and Civilization) The rest are the "usual suspects". Metal Gear will probably continue to sell very well for a while but perhaps won't make it to the top ten.

gtj1092

BenjaminBirdie said:

But still being outsold with basically a $200 price difference should.

beaten

TwinsDad

Bummer not as high as I thought on the 360.

I should have guessed NCAA was high in sales. they had advertised it every where.

Dante

jacobs34 said:
I hate to play Devils advocate but one month of a 20K advantage does not make up for a whole year of 50-100K + advantages. I really care who wins the console "war," but there is no logic in this thread.

Haven't been following NPD threads this year?

_leech_ said:
It should when their system is $200 cheaper and they're still being outsold.

Well, I'm sure it's not the 20,000 that's keeping them up then. It's the low performance of the Arcade, probably why they'd consider lowering the price to $199. It's not Sony outselling them by a margin that they could erase in a week, it's the ceiling that the console can't break through.

Elios83

LOL this just proves how anecdotal evidence is just worthless. Where are the reports of the 360s flying off the schelves because of the clearence sale?
Basically Sony and Microsoft switched places going from July 2007 to July 2008. Last year Sony was expected to beat MS with their 'price drop' but they failed, this year it's Microsoft's turn.
It's unfortunate MGS4 dropped like that but SC4 did really well for a first week.
Nintendo dominates as always.

Struct09

Syntek said:
didn't Namco say they shipped around 2 million SCIV? NA numbers didn't even cross 400k, Japan looks like its sitting on 130k, that leaves like 1.5 million for the rest of the world? That can't be right...

shipped vs sold

e-gamer

Considering the difference between PS3 ans 360 sales, PS3 will problably match 360 in instaled base after 3-4 years.

:lol

Top Bottom