• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Talamius

CivRev making an appearance, regardless of platform, makes me smile. How did the PS3 and DS versions do?

Also, for the last time: price is no longer a factor in Wii's dominance. The 360 demonstrates this. It is the console the mainstream audience simply wants more.

Bricfa

jacobs34 said:
I hate to play Devils advocate but one month of a 20K advantage does not make up for a whole year of 50-100K + advantages. I really care who wins the console "war," but there is no logic in this thread.
The Ps3 has been outselling the 360 for the majority of this year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wii Play two months away from passing GTAVC/GTASA and becoming best-selling single-SKU in the NPD full tracking era.

Wii Fit LTD: 1,430,000
Wii Play LTD: 6,409,000
Mario Kart LTD: 2,404,000 (Mario Kart GCN: 2,600,000--rounded because source material contains leaked data from pre-NPD ban; Mario Kart N64; 4,800,000 rounded same reason)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
YTD in US:

DS 3.795 mil
PSP 1.704 mil
360 1.546 mil
PS3 1.833 mil
Wii 4.038 mil

LTD in US:

DS 21.385 mil
PSP 12.216 mil
360 10.67 mil
PS3 5.081 mil
Wii 11.407 mil

nib95

Banned
e-gamer said:
Considering the difference between PS3 ans 360 sales, PS3 will problably match 360 in instaled base after 3-4 years.

:lol

US only or worldwide? WW it's catching up slowly but surely.

e-gamer

Well, those numbers are from July. We are in the middle of August...

We have to wait and see the real soul calubur 4 numbers and the real impact of the 360 price cut.

Mama Robotnik. I love you.

Civ Rev in the top 10... that sort of makes me feel happy and I don't know why. Probably reminiscing of the hundreds of hours I spent on Civ 2 and Civ 4.

No doubt the 20k gap between the 360 and PS3 will spawn more discussion than the 400k gap between the HD consoles and Wii but... hey, its gaf! Second place is all that matters now.

le.phat

e-gamer said:
Considering the difference between PS3 ans 360 sales, PS3 will problably match 360 in instaled base after 3-4 years.

:lol

:lol!!!!!!!!!

..anyway, what the fugnac is up with those psp numbers ?

Zihark

ICallItFutile said:
YTD in US:

DS 3.795 mil
PSP 1.704 mil
360 1.546 mil
PS3 1.833 mil
Wii 4.038 mil

LTD in US:

DS 21.385 mil
PSP 12.216 mil
360 10.67 mil
PS3 5.081 mil
Wii 11.407 mil
WII not far from catching PSP US LTD.

Frillen

e-gamer said:
Well, those numbers are from July. We are in the middle of August...

We have to wait and see the real soul calubur 4 numbers and the real impact of the 360 price cut.

:lol :lol :lol

Every month.

Struct09

Bricfa said:
The Ps3 has been outselling the 360 for the majority of this year.

Yeah, but not by much. While it's great for Sony that they're outselling their competition, Microsoft still has a 4 million+ unit lead in the US. If they continued at their current pace, it would take them ~17 years to catch the Xbox 360 in the US.

But anything can happen this gen. I've given up trying to predict things :p

Totally forgot today was NPD day!
Wow @ Sony
Bummer MGS 4 - although there was a lot of new software last month
Rock Band Wii, lol - who buys that crap :/
SCIV - solid numbers

PS3 has won 4 months compared to the X360's 3 months for sales this year.....too bad the PS3 is still behind 5+ mil, but just sayin'.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Mama Robotnik said:
gaftrek2.gif

You're awesome! I've been watching all of DS9 lately, make some DS9 ones pretty please?

gtj1092

Reaching back to last months NPDd...does NCAA selling better on PS360 than Wii mean mutliplatform titles sell better on HD consoles since lego indiana jones selling best on Wii last month somehow signaled that Wii was the king of multiplatform games?

Or maybe it just means certain games/genres sell better when in line with the demographics of the console they are selling the game on?

<---------------waits for the spin.

Sydle

Microsoft is not going to gain significant ground until they do a real fucking price drop. Enough of this "adding value" bullshit. It's obviously past the thresh hold.

However, in terms of profitability, this probably helps them stay on track. In any case, nothing's gonna change the fact that the 360 has a kickass lineup for the rest of the year.

Pasco

Banned
The issue for MS isn't whether they're being outsold by Sony, it's the fact that a $50 price drop (temporary, waiting on a new SKU, or whatever) did absolutely nothing for their numbers. This casts a dark shadow over the prospect of any future price cuts giving them an automatic "win" for a few months.

I'm not suggesting this is panic time over at Redmond or anything, just that this probably isn't what they hoped for, Sony be damned.

Also, let's have a big hand for Wii Play and Wii Fit, any bets on the first top 10 that won't include both of them in the future?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Surprised to see MGS4 drop off so quickly.

Those Mario Kart sales are too good. Brawl's the one that should be receiving those. :(

donny2112

How, exactly, is it a straight $200 difference between the 360 and PS3?

360:
Elite - $450
60GB - $350
20GB - $300 (on clearance)
Arcade - $280

PS3:
80GB/MGS4 - $500 (out of stock almost everywhere)
40GB - $400

If anything, the 360's got a higher price in stock that can be found than the PS3.

I don't care about which is higher on the month. I just find the claim that the PS3 is $200 more than a 360 to be completely disingenuous.

gtj1092 said:
Reaching back to last months NPDd...does NCAA selling better on PS360 than Wii mean mutliplatform titles sell better on HD consoles since lego indiana jones selling best on Wii last month somehow signaled that Wii was the king of multiplatform games?

Or maybe it just means certain games/genres sell better when in line with the demographics of the console they are selling the game on?

It means that sports games sell better on the HD consoles. OR, that they don't sell well on Nintendo consoles. (With a few exceptions, of course.)

h3ro

Are we ever going to get the break down of how many MGS4 bundles were sold? Also, any idea when the top 20 games will be up?

gtj1092 said:

Guitar Hero 3.

thuway

SNaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake was sold in a 80gb bundle :D.

I predict atleast 120k MGS4 games sold. (Including software and bundles. Thats reasonable.)

TwinsDad

FateBreaker said:
What the. How is PS3 still outselling 360?

Maybe the price drop rumor. I was set to finally get one. But I decided to play the cards to see if I can get the new MB version later at the same price.

Top Bottom