• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Wii) Discussion Thread of "I'm back, bitches!"

beje

Banned
Looks like it will also be low price in Europe (39€ MSRP) so it will be fairly easy to find online at less than 25€

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
baka kitsune said:
Just popping in here with more updates and information.

Pub US - Klonoa (Wii)

Video advertisement showing what you do in Klonoa. They're clearly marketing this towards children which isn't really a bad thing I guess. I just hope it doesn't scare older gamers from playing it because it really would appeal to all ages.

Namco Bandai's Klonoa Page

There's no official website but at least they've got something up for the game now on their main website. I was getting a little worried there since the game is due in less than a month.
beautiful. somehow, i have full confidence i'll be enjoying this one quite a lot. btw, i never imagined a 'non-conventional' controls console could be such a platformer haven after all.

apropos, that commercial reminds me of dewy's ad campaign back in the day (well, whatever it was which one could metaphorically call 'a campaign') - judging by those commercials one'd say it was a kids' game. and many an insecure teenage gamer fell for that, which naturally, hurt the game's bottomline. hopefully, klonoa will escape this fate, by virtue of being a proven title.

Was that Mona Marshall who voiced the ad? And I assume that's Klonoa speaking?

If that's Klonoa, his speaking voice isn't so bad, not as old as the "wahoos" made him sound.

Hero of Legend said:
Was that Mona Marshall who voiced the ad? And I assume that's Klonoa speaking?

If that's Klonoa, his speaking voice isn't so bad, not as old as the "wahoos" made him sound.

I think the voice is Huepow (now Hewpoe according to the namco page). And yeah, it doesn't sound bad at all. I hope someone puts up some English videos of the cutscenes soon. I'm really curious to hear how they sound.

baka kitsune said:
I think the voice is Huepow (now Hewpoe according to the namco page). And yeah, it doesn't sound bad at all. I hope someone puts up some English videos of the cutscenes soon. I'm really curious to hear how they sound.

You can hear Hewpoe giggle when he (she?) pops out of the ring in the trailer, it's too high pitched to be the same as the voice in the trailer.

Edit: Also, Hewpoe's Japanese name Google Translates (put the arrow on the name) to "Hugh Poe" :)lol), so the "e" may be more accurate after all?

Davey Cakes

$30 for this game?

Wow, 2009 really is picking up the pace for Wii games. Not only are we getting good releases consistently, but more of them are releasing at favorable price points.

Yes Boss!

Volcynika said:
Hm, might cancel my Amazon order if their price doesn't reflect that.

If that is the new price Amazon will reflect it in a few days...and then will likely offer it for $26.99. Getting excited for this one, never ever played a Klonoa game.

Volcynika

Yes Boss! said:
If that is the new price Amazon will reflect it in a few days...and then will likely offer it for $26.99. Getting excited for this one, never ever played a Klonoa game.

Same! So I can't wait. :D

Would it be accurate to say that this is more a graphically redone port than a full-fledged remake? Going by videos on YouTube, the level design seems to be almost completely unchanged from the original PS1 game.

Nintendo Power reviewed this. They gave it a 9.0. That's a bit higher than I was expecting. My interest is increased. Also, if I'm interested in this, should I try to find the GBA games first/too?

cooljeanius said:
Nintendo Power reviewed this. They gave it a 9.0. That's a bit higher than I was expecting. My interest is increased. Also, if I'm interested in this, should I try to find the GBA games first/too?
The GBA games are good, but they're more puzzle/platformers than the main games, which are pretty much pure platforming goodness. I'd suggest hunting down Lunetea's Veil on PS2 before Empire of Dreams or Dream Champ Tournament on GBA. Ultimately all of them are worth a try though.
Father_Brain said:
Would it be accurate to say that this is more a graphically redone port than a full-fledged remake? Going by videos on YouTube, the level design seems to be almost completely unchanged from the original PS1 game.
I think there's always some confusion with these terms because they're so loosely defined. The level design is supposedly more or less the same, but I think you could call it as much a remake as a port because it's not using the same engine or assets as the original and they've made a bunch of minor gameplay tweaks. From what I've seen it looks like a very faithful remake rather than a complete "re-imagining".

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The GBA games are good, but they're more puzzle/platformers than the main games, which are pretty much pure platforming goodness. I'd suggest hunting down Lunetea's Veil on PS2 before Empire of Dreams or Dream Champ Tournament on GBA. Ultimately all of them are worth a try though.
Well, considering I don't have a PS2, Lunetea's Veil is kind of out of the question... good to hear that the GBA games are good though.

Jiggy

$30? Awesome. At that kind of price I'll often buy games that I think I'll just remotely like, never mind something with actual acclaim behind it.

AniHawk

Excitebots, Klonoa, and Kororinpa 2 all coming in at $40 and under is fantastic. I was already gonna buy Klonoa. This just makes it sweeter.

GhaleonQ

cooljeanius said:

I really, really love puzzle-platformers, and they're fantastic. Plus, 1 of the people involved said that they'd love to make a new handheld one.

AniHawk

legend166 said:
This coming out on May 22 is perfect. Gives me a month to play Little King's Story. Awesome.
Curse you Europeans what with your socialized medicine and getting Little King's Story early. We saved
and kicked
your ass in World War II.

Mohonky

AniHawk said:
Curse you Europeans what with your socialized medicine and getting Little King's Story early. We saved
and kicked

God this shit gets old......

legend166

AniHawk said:
and kicked

Australia isn't in Europe. And if you didn't get to use Australia as a base of operations in the Pacific, Japan would have won.

WHAT NOW, HUH, HUH.

Anyway, you get ExciteBots and we don't :(

AniHawk

Mohonky said:
God this shit gets old......

I'm always referencing the Simpsons.
Moe: "Hey, we saved your ass in World War II"
Hugh: "Well we saved your ass in World War III"
Moe: "That's true."

Of course, that episode takes place in the year 2010, and World War III still hasn't happened yet. We should really get on that.

AniHawk

legend166 said:
Australia isn't in Europe. And if you didn't get to use Australia as a base of operations in the Pacific, Japan would have won.

WHAT NOW, HUH, HUH.

Anyway, you get ExciteBots and we don't :(

Aww, Australia's all right. But you and Canada really need to get your act together and cut all ties with England. We did, and things have only gotten better.

Volcynika said:
When does LKS come out in North America?

Mid to late May if I recall.

Yeah, the wait's getting irritating, but if the reviews has been of any indication (92, 90, and 80 IIRC), then it's been damn well worth it!

Volcynika

Hero of Legend said:
Mid to late May if I recall.

Yeah, the wait's getting irritating, but if the reviews has been of any indication (92, 90, and 80 IIRC), then it's been damn well worth it!

Yeah, I want it to hell and back, but I also have Excitebots, Klonoa, Punch Out, Devil Summoner 2, and Cross Edge altogether.........but I'll still order LKS! :D

Wait. What the Hell? Are they not using the fictional language that Klonoa 2 used? (I've only played Klonoa 2.) If so, that's pretty shitty.
It won't stop me from buying the game, but -- still.... :(

EDIT:

Oh, so they might include the original voice.

Volcynika said:
Yeah, I want it to hell and back, but I also have Excitebots, Klonoa, Punch Out, Devil Summoner 2, and Cross Edge altogether.........but I'll still order LKS! :D

Gulp, you may want to ignore my date estimate of LKS...

Make that near the end of June according to Amazon...

Ahem...

*SCREAMS AND EXPLODES*

Volcynika

Hero of Legend said:
Gulp, you may want to ignore my date estime of LKS...

Make that near the end of June according to Amazon...

Ahem...

*SCREAMS AND EXPLODES*

Noooooooooooooooooo, XSeed, why have you forsaken us!

:(

Volcynika

Hero of Legend said:
I also don't understand as it's coming out in EU on April 26. Why the delay?

Not sure, XSeed is working on that, Arc Rise, and Oboro, but I'm not sure of their schedule. I know Oboro isn't even hitting EU until early 2010....but still...nooooo.

U K Narayan said:
Wait. What the Hell? Are they not using the fictional language that Klonoa 2 used? (I've only played Klonoa 2.) If so, that's pretty shitty.
It won't stop me from buying the game, but -- still.... :(

EDIT:

Oh, so they might include the original voice.

Its been confirmed that the original Klonoa language is selectable.

The real news is that the Nintendo Power review mentions a mirror mode! (And that Namco is advertising the game on the back cover.

Volcynika

yoursisterspretty said:
Its been confirmed that the original Klonoa language is selectable.

The real news is that the Nintendo Power review mentions a mirror mode! (And that Namco is advertising the game on the back cover.

Damn, even more bang for my buck (which is a great price too!)

AniHawk

Volcynika said:

...You could probably sit Cross Edge out.

Yes Boss!

Volcynika said:
:lol

Amazon lowered their price, but just to $32.99

D:

I'll wait a little longer to see if the 29.99 thing happens.

They lowered the price to the official $29.99. My preorder still says $32.99 though, strange.

Expect it to hit $27.99 shortly.

Volcynika

Yes Boss! said:
They lowered the price to the official $29.99. My preorder still says $32.99 though, strange.

Expect it to hit $27.99 shortly.

Yeah, my order says the same as well. Let's get on the ball, Amazon!

It would be cool if the thread title got changed to reflect the price drop. The more people who know it's launching at budget price the better. Here's hoping the change pushes people sitting on the fence over the edge.

baka kitsune said:
http://klonoagame.com/

Official website is up. Apparently there's going to be some sort of contest.

That "Wahoo" at the beginning sounds absolutely terrible. I'm SO GLAD there's original voice option.

awesome stuff baka kitsune! thanks for the updates!

Damnit! Amazon.ca still doesn't have the game listed!!!

TL4E

$40 was too much for my hollow wallet, but this is great. :lol

Anyways NP gave a 9.0, saying:

• Classic controls with motion controls optional
  • Short and easy
  • Bonus modes make up for the 'short and easy'
  • "If you like platformers, buy this game"

So I just got to spend some time with the Japanese remake at a friends house last night. I brought over my PSone and original copy so that we could compare. Took a couple of comparison shots mostly of 1-2. I'm torn right now. I was such a fan of the original and this is mostly it, but they have changed things. I discovered a new egg, some gem placements are different...well its mostly minor stuff. Nothing deal breaking, but the game is gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous...and has an awesome draw distance. The Classic Controller's buttons are wrong (its b to shoot and a to jump, when it should be y and b respectively)...and the bomb shell, its not the original Klonoa speak. They have changed that also. I'm guessing they couldn't reuse the original voices, lost the masters? The PS1 ones have a really bad sound quality (listening to them now) and would be totally out of place if they just ripped them. The music sounds much better this time around also.

Well, the shots (not the greatest quality, iPhone camera, but they do the job):
01.JPG
02.JPG

04.JPG
03.JPG

06.JPG
05.JPG

10.JPG
07.JPG

09.JPG
08.JPG

This part of the stage originally had a rain/sunny cycle that has been completely taken out. It has the shadows from the clouds that move that is found elsewhere in the game though (cool effect).
11.JPG
12.JPG
14.JPG

13.JPG
15.JPG

17.JPG
16.JPG

18.JPG
19.JPG

20.JPG
21.JPG

22.JPG
29.JPG

23.JPG
32.JPG

24.JPG
30.JPG

25.JPG
31.JPG

26.JPG
33.JPG

27.JPG
34.JPG

No fireworks for saving all 6 people... :(
28.JPG
35.JPG

And finally...
Klonoa doesn't get mad. They even took his cat-like teeth away in the opening movie when he's exerting himself to pull the ring out of the ground. Its kind of sad because they killed off the slightly bad-ass side of him...he just looks determined, but not angry...
36.JPG

...but....

huepow_mad3.JPG
huepow_mad2.JPG
huepow_mad.JPG

Huepow is going to kill that mutherfucking Joker. Weird.

At first I was kind of upset that I didn't import it when I said I would, but after playing with it, I'm glad I didn't. Klonoa was a perfect game in my opinion and changing anything makes me go why? But for $30, I'm glad more people will be able to enjoy the game (instead of the $60+ it goes for now) and I get to play a much prettier version of it. I think I still prefer the PS1 original, but I only played up to 3-1 because I wanted to hold out for the soon to be released NA version.

Top Bottom