• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LucasArts on Steam thread of point-and-click and womp rats

ekfecn.png

Fans have asked and LucasArts has delivered! Today the company announced a new initiative in its effort to revive its classic and beloved franchises by making its games available for the first time ever as digital downloads online.

In this first round of releases, ten fan-favorite LucasArts PC games will be made available Wednesday, July 8 on Steam®, Valve Corporation's delivery and management platform for the PC. Scheduled for release are classic adventure titles like LOOM and The Dig and hit action games including Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Republic Commando.

-------------------------------------------
Full press release announcing Steam as digital distribution platform for LucasArts titles
Follow the LucasArts Twitter for more information and future announcements of announcements.
http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames
Stiq of Joy interview discusses future plans for LucasArts and digital downloads:
http://www.*******.com/2009/07/06/breaking-lucasarts-classics-coming-to-steam-this-wednesday/#continued

Technology

The classic adventure games don't use SCUMMVM or DosBox, instead they all have self-running executables for Windows. (Twitter link)

The Games

Armed and Dangerous (2003)
First/Third Person Shooter
Steam release: July 8, 2009
Steam link
Price: $9.99
Wikipedia - Metacritic - GameFAQs

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1992)
Adventure
Steam version: Talkie (CD-ROM)
Steam link
Price: $4.99
Wikipedia - GameRankings - GameFAQs

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
Adventure
Steam version: Previously unreleased version w/extra bugfixes, includes Grail Diary .pdf
Steam link

Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (2008)
Action
Steam link
Price: $19.99

Loom (1990)
Adventure
Steam version: Talkie (CD-ROM), Book of Patterns included as .pdf
Steam link

Star Wars Battlefront II (2005)
Action/Shooter
Steam link

Star Wars Republic Commando (2005)
Tactical/First Person Shooter
Steam link

Star Wars Starfighter (2002)
Space Sim
Steam link

The Dig (1995)
Adventure
Steam version: Talkie (CD-ROM)
Steam link

Thrillville: Off the Rails (2007)
Theme Park/Rollercoaster Sim
Steam link
Wikipedia - Metacritic

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (2009)
Adventure
Steam release: July 15, 2009
Steam version: Enhanced remake of 1990's The Secret of Monkey Island. Adds new graphics and voice.
Steam link
Wikipedia - GameFAQs - NeoGAF Thread

Tales of Monkey Island: Complete Pack (2009)
Adventure
Steam release (first episode): July 7, 2009
Steam link
Price: $34.99
Wikipedia - Metacritic - GameFAQs - NeoGAF Thread

HUELEN10

The one thing I am wondering is will this be it, or are more releases confirmed to be planned? (I know it says first round, but still...)

Good starting lineup regardless though! :D

Volcynika

Aw, I was gonna make a thread. SHENANIGANS

But my title was kinda cool...

LucasArts jumps on the STEAMboat!

duckroll

HUELEN10 said:
The one thing I am wondering is will this be it, or are more releases planned?

Good starting lineup regardless though! :D

There are many more releases planned apparently. 10 titles this week and Monkey Island SE next week is just the beginning it seems. :eek:

HUELEN10

duckroll said:
There are many more releases planned apparently. 10 titles this week and Monkey Island SE next week is just the beginning it seems. :eek:
Then it is win and WIN!

Seriously though, give me the Infernal Machine and I will die happy!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Like I said on the other thread, I just hope the reason why Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion, Sam & Max and others are not on the release list is because they're waiting on The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition sales numbers to greenlight HD remakes of these games.

Oh God, please let that be true.

I don't think this is the big announcement:

Lucasarts Twitter said:
And this is just the beginning. We know how much you guys love our old games. This little announcement is just a start. #LECSteam

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Need prices!

Will buy Armed and Dangerous, Fate of Atlantis and Last Crusade.

Never played The Dig, but I hear good things about it.

Hopefully next batch will include Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, and Day of the Tentacle. Oh, and Sam & Max.

Also wasn't expecting Monkey Island SE this soon, and totally forgot new Monkey Island starts tomorrow :p

That's a lot of LucasArts, Batman!

RJT

Assuming the price is right, will definitely buy some games. From the Star Wars games to be released now, which is best?

Minsc

Gold Member
Can't wait for some of the better LucasArts titles to surface. Ebay/Amazon scalpers are screwed!

Wonder what pricing will be like?

duckroll

drizzle said:
Like I said on the other thread, I just hope the reason why Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion, Sam & Max and others are not on the release list is because they're waiting on The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition sales numbers to greenlight HD remakes of these games.

I totally agree. I would kill for a Day of the Tentacle SE. :D

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
drizzle said:

Well, Lucasarts has gone on record about this, they will do it if Monkey Island: SE sells well.

RJT said:
Assuming the price is right, will definitely buy some games. From the Star Wars games to be released now, which is best?
I liked Republic Commando quite a bit (although I played it on Xbox). Battlefront II - meh, I'm not big into online multiplayer, Starfighter - mediocre.

Minsc

Gold Member
Shard said:
Well, Lucasarts has gone on record about this, they will do it if Monkey Island: SE sells well.

I wish they'd define sells well.
let us know how many dozens of copies to buy/gift

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Shard said:
They did? I didn't know about that. I was already going to buy it the moment it came out for PC, but now... now I really have to.

GitarooMan said:
I liked Republic Commando quite a bit (although I played it on Xbox). Battlefront II - meh, I'm not big into online multiplayer, Starfighter - mediocre.
I fucking LOVED Republic Commando. The squad tactics were awesome. Too bad the game has a awesome/horrible cliffhanger that won't ever be completed, from the look of things.

If the price is right, I *might* buy it.

Aegus

I'm hoping that a few of my guilty pleasure SW games make an appearance. Rebel Assault II and Supremacy/Rebellion mostly.

Umm what's the pricing? I already have most of the Lucasarts Classics games, which are 640x480. Will these run at a higher native resolution?

FoneBone

letsbereasonable said:
The first Tales of Monkey Island release and The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will join Steam on July 15.
I don't see this anywhere... Telltale has yet to put any of their series on Steam prior to their completion, and I doubt it'll change with ToMI.

Syril

I was always curious about LOOM, and I do like the idea of Republic Commando without dealing with eBay and installation processes.

But I really just want Full Throttle...

FoneBone said:
I don't see this anywhere... Telltale has yet to put any of their series on Steam prior to their completion, and I doubt it'll change with ToMI.

I could've sworn I read it in the barrage of posts in the old thread. I'll double check on it and edit accordingly.

epmode

No one seemed to care in the other thread, but is Loom the talkie version or the regular non-shitty release?

FoneBone

thewesker said:
Sam & Max says Hi.
Neither of those was released on Steam until the season was complete.

I was wrong about Wallace and Gromit, though... I haven't been paying much attention to the series. I'll get around to it eventually, though!

xsarien

daedsiluap
Someone with more patience than me should try and see if everything's kosher on a Mac running a Boot Camp session of Windows 7.

DMczaf

The press release calls this the "first round of releases" and Rodriguez promises us they've got more in store, including "some bundles that offer some extra value." Those bundles are Steam-only for now, though

:eek:

joesmokey

Definitely double dipping on Loom. I haven't played this one in a long time, hopefully it holds up at least a little as I used to love this game.

RPGCrazied

just steam? uh, what about xbla or psn? kinda disappointed

an no hd remake or anything? I mean classics yeah, but i wish it was higher res stuff.. some of them need it.

dasupremeone said:
took them long enough...

Yeah, I thought about naming this the Official LucasArts on Steam Thread of They Finally Want Our Money, but that seemed a little ungrateful.

I can't find the confirmation of TOMI on Steam, so I'll remove that from the OP for now.

Ethereal

Do we have any sort of confirmation that these games have been optimized for current gen PC's? I'd like to assume that they are but you can't be too sure these days... Also where are Tie Fighter and X-Wing? I would dig out the old Gravis Blackhawk joystick for those gems

CiSTM

Banned
I pretty much own all the classic LucasArts games but still it's nice to have an easy way to play them. I mean no hassling with dosbox or other shit. Gonna do double dip on every adventure game and on every star wars title... Also Outlaws.

edit: ooops, armed and dangerous was right on top of that list :) Great game. BUY IT ! Land sharks will eat you if you don't !!!

Ryu

I finally get a chance to play Republic Commando (Without shelling out 30+ for the Star Wars game pack on PC). Yay!

epmode

RPGCrazied said:
an no hd remake or anything? I mean classics yeah, but i wish it was higher res stuff.. some of them need it.
Maybe the 3D stuff needs it (god, I'd love a hires TIE Fighter) but stay the hell away from the 2D stuff unless you do it RIGHT.

Top Bottom