Official LucasArts on Steam thread of point-and-click and womp rats

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I never really played through any point-and-click game myself (always got stuck in Indiana Jones and the last crusade and Discworld). I think Blade Runner is the only one I've ever actually beat.

I did, however, hang out with a friend way back who use to play these games a lot, so I'd sit there trying to help out with puzzles and whatnot when he played them. So although I didn't play 'em, I've seen a lot of hours of Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion and etc.

So I think I'm gonna pick up The Dig. I didn't see more than a few hours of that game and I think it seems interesting, although it might not be regarded as highly as a lot of those other games.
 

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, just bought Loom, Fate of Atlantis, Republic Commando and Armed and Dangerous, those were the games that I really wanted, the others not so much.
 
ItsInMyVeins said:
I never really played through any point-and-click game myself (always got stuck in Indiana Jones and the last crusade and Discworld). I think Blade Runner is the only one I've ever actually beat.

I did, however, hang out with a friend way back who use to play these games a lot, so I'd sit there trying to help out with puzzles and whatnot when he played them. So although I didn't play 'em, I've seen a lot of hours of Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion and etc.

So I think I'm gonna pick up The Dig. I didn't see more than a few hours of that game and I think it seems interesting, although it might not be regarded as highly as a lot of those other games.
I really love The Dig personally. It's one of my favourites of the genre :)
 

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll be honest, I don't understand thew love for The Dig, I thought it was little more then a dull Myst-Alike and that one god damn puzzle, oh god the pain.
 

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Don't know if this has been answered, but do the games work perfectly fine in XP, without having to go through ancient sound card configurations etc? Because that's what's keeping me from buying.
 
Darkflight said:
With the crystal? Yeah that one was annoying as hell.
Oh come on, that's piss easy, it gives you visual indicators that you're doing it right.

Only puzzle that pissed me off was the turtle skeleton.

Still my favourite Lucasarts adventure.
 

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
BluWacky said:
Oh come on, that's piss easy, it gives you visual indicators that you're doing it right.

Only puzzle that pissed me off was the turtle skeleton.

Still my favourite Lucasarts adventure.

That is the one, that damnable Turtle skeleton.
 
EviLore said:
So do we know yet how well these run compared to playing on scummvm? Anyone try?
What do you mean by run, the graphics quality? upsampling methods? speed? All the above?

scummvm provides perfect emulation of lucas arts games (no known issues anyway), and I'd hope so does whatever these are running under as well. I think even netbooks would be way too fast to test performance.
 
Please excuse my ignorance, planning on playing the Monkey Island games since I missed out on those. But are the new chapters a sequel to the original? As in, should I wait to play the original before playing the new ones?
 
ItsInMyVeins said:
So I think I'm gonna pick up The Dig. I didn't see more than a few hours of that game and I think it seems interesting, although it might not be regarded as highly as a lot of those other games.
Is The Dig not liked or something? I thought it was a rather exceptional adventure. Not funny like the other ones, but still had pretty awesome environments and writing - especially when you consider that it was being worked on for like ten years and changed development teams three or four times.
 

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Sqorgar said:
Is The Dig not liked or something? I thought it was a rather exceptional adventure. Not funny like the other ones, but still had pretty awesome environments and writing - especially when you consider that it was being worked on for like ten years and changed development teams three or four times.
I didn't mean to imply that it's not liked, but I don't know if I hear as much talk about that game in comparison to the others (Monkey Island, Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle etc).
 
MisterAnderson said:
Please excuse my ignorance, planning on playing the Monkey Island games since I missed out on those. But are the new chapters a sequel to the original? As in, should I wait to play the original before playing the new ones?
You really should play the originals first. The thing I would be concerned about with playing the new games first is that you'd have that problem where your internal image of the series and characters is kind of in the wronger order--it's like when you see the movie before reading the book, you can never develop the same untouched mental image you would have had if you had read the original work first.

I would very much recommend playing the first two games in their original form. If you pick up the Secret of Monkey Island remake, I would really, really, REALLY advise not using the remade graphics and voice acting. I know there are differences of opinion on this, but to me the new graphics and voice completely change the character of the game to the style that was established in Monkey Island 3, which is a great game but also VERY different to the first two. I think it would be a real shame to miss out on the unique tone and timbre of Gilbert/Schafer/Grossman's original games, which in my opinion has never been replicated in further titles in the series.
 
Kintaro said:
So what are the price points? I'm at work at the moment.
The Dig®
$4.99

Star Wars Starfighter™
$4.99

Star Wars Republic Commando™
$9.99

LEGO® Indiana Jones™: The Original Adventures
$19.99

LOOM™
$4.99

Armed and Dangerous®
$9.99

Star Wars Battlefront® II
$19.99

Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade™
$4.99

Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™
$4.99

Thrillville®: Off the Rails™
$19.99



Personally Battlefront II is $5-10 too high. The game is almost 4 years old.
 

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Grimm Fandango said:
The Dig®
$4.99

LOOM™
$4.99

Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade™
$4.99

Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™
$4.99
Nice. Is Armed and Dangerous any fun? I've never played it. Thank you for the list. :D
 
Kintaro said:
Nice. Is Armed and Dangerous any fun? I've never played it. Thank you for the list. :D
It's got some clever weapons, and some funny cutscenes, but the whole game kind of feels unfinished. It is surprisingly apparent that Planet Moon didn't have the whole thing shaped up on time, and LucasArts didn't want to extend the deadline. That really brings down the overall experience. It may be worth a shot for $10 though if you're a fan of the Planet Moon humor and aesthetic.
 
Kintaro said:
Nice. Is Armed and Dangerous any fun? I've never played it. Thank you for the list. :D
Along with what Chris Remo said, I'd say it's about $5 of fun but not $10 of fun. Also, as memory serves, the cutscenes are rendered at 320x240 or some terrible resolution and look like garbage.
 
Xater said:
So is Last Crusade also a talkie version?

I might bite for Fate because I don't own the talkie version.
Fate has talkie, Crusade nope. I don't think the original Crusade had talk either?

I bought four games, Dig, the two Joneses, and Loom. I am in adventure gaming bliss.
 
Eaten By A Grue said:
Fate has talkie, Crusade nope. I don't think the original Crusade had talk either?

I bought four games, Dig, the two Joneses, and Loom. I am in adventure gaming bliss.
Thanks the description for Crusade was kinda confusing. So how do these games run? Dosbox? SCUMMVM?
 
I am running all the games in Windows 7 with absolutely no problems. They are not using DOSbox or ScummVM, it appears they are all running natively. The games do not look bad filtered with whatever filter they are using.
 
Eaten By A Grue said:
I am running all the games in Windows 7 with absolutely no problems. They are not using DOSbox or ScummVM, it appears they are all running natively. The games do not look bad filtered with whatever filter they are using.
Filter? Can you disable it? I'd like to see some screenshots.
 
Xater said:
Filter? Can you disable it? I'd like to see some screenshots.
I've not got any screens, but I've seen screendumps of someone disabling the filter by right clicking on the title/header thingy in windowed mode.
 
Xater said:
Filter? Can you disable it? I'd like to see some screenshots.
Unfortunately I got off my PC, I'm on my laptop so no screenies until I turn it on again. Like the above said, I heard that it may be possible to turn off, I did not really take a good look at the options menu. I just basically loaded each game and made sure they worked, I am going to really play them later tonight.
 
Is the music working in Fate of Atlantis for those of you who have it?

Some people on the Steam forums are saying the speech is working just fine, but there is no music.
 
FatBaby said:
Is the music working in Fate of Atlantis for those of you who have it?

Some people on the Steam forums are saying the speech is working just fine, but there is no music.
The opening scene where he is going through the museum the music was playing. Not so sure once in game though.
 
Xater said:
Filter? Can you disable it? I'd like to see some screenshots.
Graphic Filter on


Graphic Filter off


Options


Both screenshots were taken with "Correct Aspect Ratio" and "Never Switch Resolutions" on for what it's worth.
 
Whilst I'd have it turned off, that filter looks better than I imagined. I guess it'd be better in something like CoMI, which has a bit more detail in the source material that it's smoothing. Though I know sod all about this stuff, so maybe I'm wrong...
 
Technosteve said:
they going to release grim fandango or full throttle next? i lost my cd of grim fandango and i never played full throttle =(.
Full Throttle is a straight-up SCUMM game so they could probably do that one with roughly the same amount of effort they did these (and I hope they do; it's my favorite adventure game ever and I want more people to play it). Grim Fandango would probably take more time and effort; it uses both 2D and real-time 3D, a different engine, and has some weird speed issues with modern CPUs. It would definitely be awesome to do though.
 
Omikaru said:
Whilst I'd have it turned off, that filter looks better than I imagined.
Honestly it looks better in person then looking at screenshots. I know some of the ScummVM filters are overkill, but whatever the filters they are using looks really good.
 
Will get:

Armed and Dangerous (2003)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1992) ***
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) ***
Loom (1990)***
Star Wars Battlefront II (2005)
Star Wars Republic Commando (2005)
The Dig (1995)
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (2009)***
Tales of Monkey Island: Complete Pack (2009)

***ed ones will be immediately.
 
man i'm soo (re) buying these classic adventure games. I still have my The Dig soundtrack. great game. Not as good as Lucas Arts others but still good never the less. Man with Tex Murphy on gog, and LucasArts on steam we've had a great influx of adventure games. Now its time for Sierra to really step up. I wan to see Gabriel Knight re-releases. The beast within was one of the few really good live action FMV games in existence!