• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Metal Gear Solid 4 Gameplay Demonstration YES YES ALL OVER MY OCTOCAM

SolidSnakex

Member
Jun 7, 2004
85,523
3
0
JB1981 said:


Holy shit! is this shot a playable camera perspective? Looks awesome and Snake's hair looks amazing. Very nice texture work, imo.
If the Babelfish translation is correct, then that is another playable perspective (the RE4 perspective).
 

J2 Cool

Member
Jun 9, 2004
15,460
0
0
FINALLY!


"We're going to E3!"


"AND PSE!"


"AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY!"


"... mmeeeYEEEAAEAAAAAAAHHH!!"
 

MiamiWesker

Member
Apr 26, 2006
19,611
1
1,180
That article states whats been said before, that Kojima says you can play the game in first person view for those FPS fans, and you can control the aim with sixaxis. It also says you can shoot using an RE4 style camera as well.
 

SolidSnakex

Member
Jun 7, 2004
85,523
3
0
MiamiWesker said:
That article states whats been said before, that Kojima says you can play the game in first person view for those FPS fans, and you can control the aim with sixaxis. It also says you can shoot using an RE4 style camera as well.
So they've basically gone and added each of the cameras fans have asked for.
 

MiamiWesker

Member
Apr 26, 2006
19,611
1
1,180
MiamiWesker said:
That article states whats been said before, that Kojima says you can play the game in first person view for those FPS fans, and you can control the aim with sixaxis. It also says you can shoot using an RE4 style camera as well.
Let me rephrase that. It says there is a behind the back view like RE4 you can play with, it doesn't mention the shooting.
 

gogogow

Member
Nov 10, 2004
8,464
0
0
MiamiWesker said:
That article states whats been said before, that Kojima says you can play the game in first person view for those FPS fans, and you can control the aim with sixaxis. It also says you can shoot using an RE4 style camera as well.
But will you be able to see your gun while in fpv, or is it like in the first MGS?

Cool if it plays exactly like a FPS, with gun and reloading animations.

Pics looks hot btw.
 

MiamiWesker

Member
Apr 26, 2006
19,611
1
1,180
You can quickly get out of camo by shaking the sixaxis, ok I guess, I hope they find better uses for the sixaxis though.
 

jett

D-Member
Jun 6, 2004
98,875
8
1,765
The other shot doesn't look like the "RE4 perspective" the article describes, Snake's covering too much of the screen area, looks to me like part of a cut-scene: the article describes the demo as starting with Snake looking at an impressive vista of the city.

And we'll see just how playable the alternate cameras are.
 

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
May 23, 2007
5,470
2
0
here another interesting bit from the article:

" Al utilizar camuflaje óptico, este pequeño Metal Gear será muy difícil de descubrir por parte de los enemigos. Además, hará también las funciones de canal de comunicación con Otacon. Para controlarlo, Snake utilizará en el juego una réplica del mando de PlayStation 3."

this translates to:

"when utilizing the optic camo, this small metal gear will be very dificult to spot. it also serves a the communications channel with otacon. To control it snake uses a replica of the ps3 controller. "

ps3 controller in game content only further proves system exclusivity perhaps?
 

JB1981

Member
May 12, 2006
30,991
0
1,395
Toms River, NJ
jett said:
The other shot doesn't look like the "RE4 perspective" the article describes, Snake's covering too much of the screen area, looks to me like part of a cut-scene: the article describes the demo as starting with Snake looking at an impressive vista of the city.

And we'll see just how playable the alternate cameras are.
It actually looks nothing like a cut scene. Particularly one from an MGS game.
 

JB1981

Member
May 12, 2006
30,991
0
1,395
Toms River, NJ
MickeyKnox said:
Regardless of what it is Jett enjoys playing the ass in order to ruffle feathers, don't let it get to you.
Well, I think at this point, he's more interested in his bold predictions about the game (dated gameplay lol) being true than anything else.
 

dabig2

Member
May 15, 2007
9,221
0
0
hype alley
otake said:
here another interesting bit from the article:

" Al utilizar camuflaje óptico, este pequeño Metal Gear será muy difícil de descubrir por parte de los enemigos. Además, hará también las funciones de canal de comunicación con Otacon. Para controlarlo, Snake utilizará en el juego una réplica del mando de PlayStation 3."

this translates to:

"when utilizing the optic camo, this small metal gear will be very dificult to spot. it also serves a the communications channel with otacon. To control it snake uses a replica of the ps3 controller. "

ps3 controller in game content only further proves system exclusivity perhaps?

haha, that's awesome
 

jett

D-Member
Jun 6, 2004
98,875
8
1,765
JB1981 said:
It actually looks nothing like a cut scene. Particularly one from an MGS game.
It could be many things, but like I said Snake's covering like 70% of the freaking screen. :p Maybe the camera was in the process of changing into first-person view when the shot was taken.
 

MickeyKnox

Member
Jul 21, 2006
11,816
1
1,040
New York City
www.inkandpressure.com
jett said:
It could be many things, but like I said Snake's covering like 70% of the freaking screen. :p Maybe the camera was in the process of changing into first-person view when the shot was taken.
Or there's also that pretty sizable chunk of the screen cropped off by the framing of the shot, we're not in the 4:3 era anymore.
 

rollingstart

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
38,762
1
0
eviloreisarapist
jett said:
It could be many things, but like I said Snake's covering like 70% of the freaking screen. :p Maybe the camera was in the process of changing into first-person view when the shot was taken.
we dont know that he is taking up 70% of the screen, we only see a part of the screen, it could be bigger than we think.

actually, if you look at the picture where you see two people from a far away view point, that is around where Snake would be standing, so it is kinda like the RE4 cam.
 

tanod

when is my burrito
Dec 15, 2006
11,704
1
1,230
Iowa
Vyse The Legend said:
Shane implied that it's being developed by Western developers, and it will be out this Fall/Winter.
This is just speculation on MGS but:
Is it at all significant that Mikami and Suda were on the Insomniac podcast last week? Since Suda and Mikami and Kojima were all in that roundtable, it makes me wonder if it was possible that Kojima was also there or travelled there before E3? They said they were checking out Western development techniques.

Insomniac developing MGS: Online MP would be a huge megaton.
 

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
May 23, 2007
5,470
2
0
tanod said:
This is just speculation on MGS but:
Is it at all significant that Mikami and Suda were on the Insomniac podcast last week? Since Suda and Mikami and Kojima were all in that roundtable, it makes me wonder if it was possible that Kojima was also there or travelled there before E3? They said they were checking out Western development techniques.

Insomniac developing MGS: Online MP would be a huge megaton.

makes too much sense. won't happen.
 

MickeyKnox

Member
Jul 21, 2006
11,816
1
1,040
New York City
www.inkandpressure.com
tanod said:
This is just speculation on MGS but:
Is it at all significant that Mikami and Suda were on the Insomniac podcast last week? Since Suda and Mikami and Kojima were all in that roundtable, it makes me wonder if it was possible that Kojima was also there or travelled there before E3? They said they were checking out Western development techniques.

Insomniac developing MGS: Online MP would be a huge megaton.
No way in hell is insomniac developing anything other than Ratchet and Resistance 2 atm. However maybe one of the Insomniac devs is who RP was hinting at being on the next KP report.
 

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jul 6, 2005
91,410
0
0
32
If you assume that shot is widescreen (and you should), then Snake is in perfect position.

Shots from Famitsu before TGS showed an RE4 cam, I'm not sure why people are so doubtful.

oh wait its jett :p
 

karasu

Member
Jun 7, 2004
17,469
125
1,560
VA
www.twitch.tv
jett said:
It could be many things, but like I said Snake's covering like 70% of the freaking screen. :p Maybe the camera was in the process of changing into first-person view when the shot was taken.

Maybe he just rotated the camera so it would be behind Snake?