• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Metal Gear Solid 4 Gameplay Demonstration YES YES ALL OVER MY OCTOCAM

This is the real E3 as far as I'm concerned.

You have no idea how ****ing excited I am. Any new developments on trying to get the anniversary collection out stateside?

Yixian

Banned
Perhaps Metal Gear 1&2 remakes (PSN/XBLA?)? Perhaps Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3 up for download from the PSN in build up to MGS4?

Kojima made a point of saying MGS4 was his last foray into this universe - his last foray - so perhaps there is the possibility of another game from a different director in the Metal Gear or Metal Gear Solid series?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yixian said:
Perhaps Metal Gear 1&2 remakes (PSN/XBLA?)? Perhaps Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3 up for download from the PSN in build up to MGS4?

Kojima made a point of saying MGS4 was his last foray into this universe - his last foray - so perhaps there is the possibility of another game from a different director in the Metal Gear or Metal Gear Solid series?

It's like wondering if Nintendo would drop Mario after Miyamoto retirement.
Kojima already hinted at his successor:

murata.jpg

Shuyo Murata

Yixian

Banned
TTP said:
It's like wondering if Nintendo would drop Mario after Miyamoto retirement.
Kojima already hinted at his successor: Shuyo Murata

Oooh I didn't know this. Juicy.

My fingers are permanently crossed until I see MGS3 on the PSN. I have an Asian PS3 and no PS2, and I'm DYING to play this game.

robertsan21 said:
Novery, the twins demands the video of kojima playing MGS4 5 minutes after the party is over on tuesday 24th :D

Make it happen!

Ryan said on the last Kojima Podcast that the gameplay video would come sometime after the 24th but before August 20th (Leipzig).

KGKK

Banned
Oh yeah baby! Can't wait! There better be videos. Also, I'm feeling it, MG1 and MG2 remake on the PSN/PSP:D

KGKK said:
Oh yeah baby! Can't wait! There better be videos. Also, I'm feeling it, MG1 and MG2 remake on the PSN/PSP:D

Where'd that rumor come from? Ryan said there would be two new MGS-related products at the 20th Anniversary party, and I think those are MPO+ and Metal Gear Online.

Vyse The Legend said:
Where'd that rumor come from? Ryan said there would be two new MGS-related products at the 20th Anniversary party, and I think those are MPO+ and Metal Gear Online.
those are not new, we already know about them

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really wish MGO was included with mgs4....

Shane hinted it was being developed by Westerners!

o rly!

robertsan21 said:
those are not new, we already know about them

MGO hasn't been seen, at all. In fact, it's being debuted at the show next week. Also, MPO+'s announcement was made specifically for the 20th Anniversary, which is made clear by both its trailer and the fact it wasn't at E3.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sounds great! Good to know you'll cover the event on the report cause Japanese events other than the TGS often go under the radar outside Japan as news site just copy paste each other's info snippets.

On a not so related note, I remember reading that Kojima wanted to make a zombie game, where if you are killed by a zombie you automatically become one yourself and cannot change back to human form, you have to now play as a zombie.

Well, it reminded of something else Kojima did before: Snatcher. In Snatcher, the Snatchers kill their counter parts and take their places in society. So zombie game+Snatcher universe = Snatcher Outbreak Online (and of course with a single player campaign too):D

Y2Kev said:
I really wish MGO was included with mgs4....

Shane hinted it was being developed by Westerners!

o rly!

That's interesting!

Wow they really hate us.

Have you actually been to neoGAF? That place is a mess. It's filled with so many fanboy factions, immature comments and pretentious idiots who flaunt any little new information they found.

I'd like to join one of these fanboy factions.

Zenith

Banned
Damn those dudes over at the MGS TUS are Rtards.

I'll say. From one of their admins:

KP and Konami in the past has jerked us around and ****ed with us more than anyone knows or cares about. And yes they do own us something, after all the help and favors this site did for Konami & KP PRs in the past. Their general attitude and tone towards us is usually \"you guys are kids and we can brush you aside whenever we want.\" While in truth none of the Admins of this site are under 20 & have put quite a lot of time and money into the place. I can\'t count the amount of times Marc Franklin (head of Konami USA PR) threated us for stupid shit, and claim that they will pull the non existing support for the site if something is not done to their liking. Payton on other hand has a very nasty habit of ignoring our emails and only replying when it fits his interest or personal agenda. This is not how majority of the other gaming companies treat their hardcore fans who run fan sites. Square for example has a guy who\'s only job is to keep in touch with the top fansites and proved them with the same resources that big media sites get.

The vast majority of gaming companies won't even acknowledge their fanbase and only comunicate through the odd high profile interview. And none I know of would hang out with MGS cosplayers and people who make MGS lego. Newsflash, all those "help and favours" you did were actually favours from Konami. How many companies would include fansites on their press list or allow devs to give interviews with them? Any promotion you give their games is far outweighed by the promotion it gives your site and the satisfaction you get from them giving you new info on the series you like most.

Raist

Banned
Have you actually been to neoGAF? That place is a mess. It's filled with so many fanboy factions, immature comments and pretentious idiots who flaunt any little new information they found.

KP and Konami in the past has jerked us around and ****ed with us more than anyone knows or cares about. And yes they do own us something, after all the help and favors this site did for Konami & KP PRs in the past. Their general attitude and tone towards us is usually \"you guys are kids and we can brush you aside whenever we want.\" While in truth none of the Admins of this site are under 20 & have put quite a lot of time and money into the place. I can\'t count the amount of times Marc Franklin (head of Konami USA PR) threated us for stupid shit, and claim that they will pull the non existing support for the site if something is not done to their liking. Payton on other hand has a very nasty habit of ignoring our emails and only replying when it fits his interest or personal agenda. This is not how majority of the other gaming companies treat their hardcore fans who run fan sites. Square for example has a guy who\'s only job is to keep in touch with the top fansites and proved them with the same resources that big media sites get.

:lol

Chinner

Banned
TUS has always been up its own ass. The forum itself isn't that great, alot of 'forum drama' which is tiring. The actual MGS debate is pretty poor and fanboyish. I rememeber such great threads such as 'Why did Big Boss go bad?' and a very indepth thread trying to prove that Snake and Vamp where gay lovers on many occasions.

PnCIa

Chinner said:
TUS has always been up its own ass. The forum itself isn't that great, alot of 'forum drama' which is tiring. The actual MGS debate is pretty poor and fanboyish.
Sounds like GAF... ;)
There aren´t just MGS fanboys here though, so there is more variety.

Zenith

Banned
PnCIa said:
Sounds like GAF... ;)
There aren´t just MGS fanboys here though, so there is more variety.

Yes but when GAF calls itself "pre-eminent video gaming discussion forum" it's always been in an ironic, self-deprecationg sense. This is TUS's "about us" page:

Metal Gear Solid: The Unofficial Site is not just a name or just a site; it’s more of a figurative vessel for the love of a group of people part of post modernistic digital art, carrying the simple and the most complicated ideas at the same time and name - Metal Gear Solid.

"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing."
-- Hideo Kojima

This website is always stumbling to this thought and idea. Isn’t our past which we use to shape future, communicate with humans and make relations to build the future together? What will be point of our existence if the future does not know the past?

The Metal Gear games deserve to be passed on to the future. Remembered, loved, and relived by the future generations and the younger gamers.

"The 'I' is not just one person, but the sum of everything you love - your dog, your wife, your child, your computer, your doll. This led me to the conclusion that the self is empty. What is essential is this network of connections."
-- Mamoru Oshii

In this matter of speaking, we envision and hope Metal Gear Solid: The Unofficial Site to be loved by you and be part of your “self.”

It's just a website.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I want some ZOE 3 news tho, with online battles!

If not now then at TGS. Please>:|

EDIT: And about the MGS:TUS thing, NeoGAF is visited by more people. Plus, in the end most MGS fans don't even read gaming forums. The people I know at work that are also MGS fans never read GAF and have no idea what MGS:TUS is.

The internet's impact in the video game hype world is way overblown.

robertsan21 said:
I think MGS TUS just shot themselfs in the foot

no more new exclusive media for them ever hahhaha :lol

I didn't expect to hear such a laugh especially by you, but thanks anyway.

Oh and for the record, I have written a few times with Payton and I think the guy wont ignore the website for just a few comments.

Yes, of course I would have loved to see more attention from Konami to the fan community etc. but it's not just up to Ryan.

Ether_Snake said:
I want some ZOE 3 news tho, with online battles!

If not now then at TGS. Please>:|

Better hope for that, then, because there's no way in hell they are going to announce a non-MGS game at a MGS Party. :lol

Nervous Hamster said:

Oh and for the record, I have written a few times with Payton and I think the guy wont ignore the website for just a few comments.

Yes, of course I would have loved to see more attention from Konami to the fan community etc. but it's not just up to Ryan.

You run MGS:TUS? If so, didn't you get an early copy of MGS3: Snake Eater, which means you'll probably get the same treatment with MGS4? Stop being spoiled. That's more than most fan sites get.

Vyse The Legend said:
You run MGS:TUS? If so, didn't you get an early copy of MGS3: Snake Eater, which means you'll probably get the same treatment with MGS4? Stop being spoiled. That's more than most fan sites get.

We got an early copy yes, but not by Konami of America and to be honest, we had a TON of problems with the review we posted back then. We were hosted by GameSpy at the time and they took down the article, cause we weren't allowed to have it up before IGN.

So... no.

But please guys, let's get back to the topic Ryan made and create the hype for the upcoming MGS party just like you did for Killzone 2 :)

Twix

there is a possibility for MGO being a first person view only game, kojima himself hinted at that years ago in a interview ( sorry i can’t find it ) , he said that some of his team members are big fans of Counter Strike and they play it almost daily.

Nervous Hamster said:

well I am not the one complaining that I aint getting any attention, I got the twins to take care of me :lol

anyway I really hope you guys get some attention soon as MGS TUS staff seem desperate.

but I do agree that we should stay on topic, lets keep this awesome thread going and pray that it reaches 100pages, the 24th is just around the corner so prepare youselfs for awesome news and videos!!!!!!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Twix said:
there is a possibility for MGO being a first person view only game, kojima himself hinted at that years ago in a interview ( sorry i can’t find it ) , he said that some of his team members are big fans of Counter Strike and they play it almost daily.
but he wouldnt do that ;___;

what would be the point anyway? there are fps franchises that would probably do a fps online a lil better.

besides the first mgo had gameplay that hasnt been replicated anywhere. fans of the orginal could use something thats at least somewhat similar in mgo2.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Twix said:

Yeah this is what I want (to some extent). I would hope that it would be more realistic than Counter Strike, more like Battlefield 2, more focus with rank based on professionalism and team work. Having to move from one location to another as a team, a bit a la Rainbow Six, to stay true to the MGS universe and how the units move (which is based on real-life tactics). That is what I would put emphasis on.

Then add commander-controlled Gekkous and the likes (which you can deploy to specific locations a bit like how in Battlefield you can drop artillery or supplies at specific locations in a map). UAVs=Bio-organic flying Gekkous as reported in the MGS4 gameplay demonstration. Etc.

Basically a game like BF2 could really be modded to make an excellent MGS4-style online game. I was actually thinking of working on such a mod recently. The Gekkou integration would have been the most complex aspect, so we put it aside and are waiting for UT3 so see if it could be implemented properly with the Unreal engine, but BF2 on its own would be easier to start from as it's closer to what we have planned (and we could test quickly by using city-maps).

Anyway MGO could be excellent.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ether_Snake said:
Yeah this is what I want (to some extent). I would hope that it would be more realistic than Counter Strike, more like Battlefield 2, more focus with rank based on professionalism and team work. Having to move from one location to another as a team, a bit a la Rainbow Six, to stay true to the MGS universe and how the units move (which is based on real-life tactics). That is what I would put emphasis on.

Then add commander-controlled Gekkous and the likes (which you can deploy to specific locations a bit like how in Battlefield you can drop artillery or supplies at specific locations in a map). UAVs=Bio-organic flying Gekkous as reported in the MGS4 gameplay demonstration. Etc.

Basically a game like BF2 could really be modded to make an excellent MGS4-style online game. I was actually thinking of working on such a mod recently. The Gekkou integration would have been the most complex aspect, so we put it aside and are waiting for UT3 so see if it could be implemented properly with the Unreal engine, but BF2 on its own would be easier to start from as it's closer to what we have planned (and we could test quickly by using city-maps).

Anyway MGO could be excellent.
ugh

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
-COOLIO- said:

"ugh" if Konami is going to make another MGO just for MGS fans, which means limiting the potential market for it and basically selling another MGS game to a small proportion of MGS fans.

"Woot" if Konami is going to make an MGO game that anyone could get into, even if they have never played MGS games.

You can't keep making MGS games for the established fan base. After so many sequels you either drop the series as a whole or open it up to people who never played it.

If you didn't play MGS1, you don't play MGS2, if you didn't play MGS2, you don't play MGS3, and by the time MGS4 is out you don't want to play MGS1, 2, and 3, to understand what the heck is going on in 4.

If the MGS series is to survive it has to open up and start from a clean slate, and make that obvious.

Edit: BTW new Kojima Productions Report http://mp.i-revo.jp/user.php/kp-ryan/entry/105.html

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ether_Snake said:
"ugh" if Konami is going to make another MGO just for MGS fans, which means limiting the potential market for it and basically selling another MGS game to a small proportion of MGS fans.

"Woot" if Konami is going to make an MGO game that anyone could get into, even if they have never played MGS games.

You can't keep making MGS games for the established fan base. After so many sequels you either drop the series as a whole or open it up to people who never played it.

If you didn't play MGS1, you don't play MGS2, if you didn't play MGS2, you don't play MGS3, and by the time MGS4 is out you don't want to play MGS1, 2, and 3, to understand what the heck is going on in 4.

If the MGS series is to survive it has to open up and start from a clean slate, and make that obvious.

Edit: BTW new Kojima Productions Report http://mp.i-revo.jp/user.php/kp-ryan/entry/105.html

what does the story have to do with gameplay?

anyway, mgo has only been around for one game. if the single player gets overhauled, fine, but after just a year of mgo, id still like more of the same.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
-COOLIO- said:
what does the story have to do with gameplay?

anyway, mgo has only been around for one game. if the single player gets overhauled, fine but after just a year of mgo, id still like more of the same.

The problem with the previous MGO is that it is still too "Metal Gear". It's fine for SOME MGS fans (not for me, I like the single player mode). MGS isn't the biggest series in the world, and so far it has been supported by very hard core fans. Everytime Konami releases something MGS-related it only sells to the existing MGS fanbase. Look at RE4, there was very little about it that related to the previous RE games. This opened the game up to a whole new audience. Now look at DMC4, I know I won't play it cause I played the first one, only a bit of the second one, and never played the third one. Just by looking at it I know it's the same.

If the next MGO looks like the previous one, or looks like an MGS game (same camera, etc.) then people who are not into the series will immediately get the impression that it is not a game for them. Yet if MGO is in first person view, it sends a clear signal that this is something new, something different. For example a lot of people who are not Halo fans will get Halo Wars because they are in RTS games and just by looking at a screenshot or video of it they can tell it's a game for them.

This is what I think the MGS series needs. If it just continues along its current path the fanbase will only shrink over time. It's very difficult to grow a fanbase through sequels, you just end up losing those that got tired of the series and attract very few newcomers.

All the next MGO game needs to keep from the MGS series is the style (example the Gekkous/Metal Gears, the special units/mercs, and the type of equipment).

Frog

MGO doesn't work because it's too "Metal Gear?" I don't think there's much point in making a multiplayer mode if it doesn't have anything in common with the single-player mode. You might as well make a completely different game, and not bother calling it "Metal Gear." IMO the clean slate should wait until MGS5 (or whatever it will be called) after Kojima leaves and finishes the current story.

this talk about whats 'metal gear' and whats not 'metal gear' reminds me of that 1up show episode where they were talking about the MGS3 online mode.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So yea, we got a press invite to this event but we can't go :( !!!

Anyone want to lend us a time machine/private jet?

Peter Moore?

Top Bottom