• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Metal Gear Solid 4 Gameplay Demonstration YES YES ALL OVER MY OCTOCAM

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Frog said:
MGO doesn't work because it's too "Metal Gear?" I don't think there's much point in making a multiplayer mode if it doesn't have anything in common with the single-player mode. You might as well make a completely different game, and not bother calling it "Metal Gear." IMO the clean slate should wait until MGS5 (or whatever it will be called) after Kojima leaves and finishes the current story.

I did mention what it would have in common, which is exactly as much as what Halo Wars has in common with Halo. And there are other games that have done a great job in that regard. Final Fantasy Tactics comes to mind. Or all those Nintendo games, ahem.

MGS5 could not start from a clean slate. The only thing that could be rebooted is the story, but gameplay-wise it would have to remain rather close to the MGS games. I would be extremely surprised if MGS5 could grow the fanbase significantly. Especially if many jump out at the conclusion of the MGS story in MGS4. Kojima said that he has basically shown how to make an MGS game over the years, and now he can move on and leave other people use that foundation to make theirs, a lot like how James Bond movies are produced (his words).

MGO is the perfect opportunity in my opinion.

icarus-daedelus said:
So basically, Ether Snake, you want a Battlefield 2 mod and not an MGO game?

Then make the damn BF2 mod yourself and let Metal Gear stay Metal Gear.
MGO was fun in the beginning and a great first effort but as a standalone MP experience it didn't work. Gameplay and balance issues plagued it, so as soon as people got slightly familiar with it the whole thing fell apart.

I'm one of the biggest MGS fans here and the idea of Kojima outsourcing MGO to a western dev sounds like a great plan. His gameplay concepts can be relayed to the studio so that the game still has that MG feel to it, it allows KP to focus on what they do best and dedicate 100% of their resources to finishing MGS4 while letting MGO be focused on by another studio that has more experience in the online space.

A MGO game that is a truly great stand alone MP experience can open up the series to people who've had no interest in it before and the more MGS love there is out there the better.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MickeyKnox said:
MGO was fun in the beginning and a great first effort but as a standalone MP experience it didn't work. Gameplay and balance issues plagued it, so as soon as people got slightly familiar with it the whole thing fell apart.

I'm one of the biggest MGS fans here and the idea of Kojima outsourcing MGO to a western dev sounds like a great plan. His gameplay concepts can be relayed to the studio so that the game still has that MG feel to it, it allows KP to focus on what they do best and dedicate 100% of their resources to finishing MGS4 while letting MGO be focused on by another studio that has more experience in the online space.

A MGO game that is a truly great stand alone MP experience can open up the series to people who've had no interest in it before and the more MGS love there is out there the better.

I wanted to find a picture of people who hold each other's fingers with their... fingers, and can't find one cause I don't know how you say that in english. Anyway, jinx! (or something?)

Frog

Ether_Snake said:
I did mention what it would have in common, which is exactly as much as what Halo Wars has in common with Halo.

Wouldn't the better analogy be MGS:MGO::Halo:Halo multiplayer? In other words, just the multiplayer mode of the game, rather than a different game. Or are you thinking of MGO more like a spinoff of MGS like Halo Wars is to Halo? It would just be really weird to me to buy a game where the gameplay of the multi-player mode had nothing in common with the gameplay of the single-player mode. I guess we'll have to wait until the 24th to find out for sure whether MGO comes with MGS4 or if it is separate.

ThirdEye

MickeyKnox said:

I don't want yet another generic FPS #2612 kthxbye.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I had a (sad) little private MG party of my own the other week when I went downtown to visit Federal Hall. I work near Wall street but I had never been there...

fh.jpg

gw.jpg

The best part was that there was construction a few blocks north of the landmark and I couldn't help but be amused by the name of the construction company doing the job:

arse.jpg

:lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Linkzg said:
this talk about whats 'metal gear' and whats not 'metal gear' reminds me of that 1up show episode where they were talking about the MGS3 online mode.

that episode still up? can you remember vaguely which # it was?

no offense to them but they really judged it too soon going by egm, but im curious none the less.

140.85 said:
The best part was that there was construction a few blocks north of the landmark and I couldn't help but be amused by the name of the construction company doing the job:

arse.jpg

:lol

:lol :lol :lol

Ironic, isn't it?

Just like the tanker, which sinked on the same day this year, as in MGS2 :)
I am scared of the World War in MGS4 and the events to come...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
momolicious said:
so on tuesday we will see new awesome videos and new media right?

No, there is the Metal Gear 20th Anniversary, and footage is being prepared or will be at the show and will be released later, most likely before Leipzig (according to Ryan on the latest KP report, #49).

Ether_Snake said:
No, there is the Metal Gear 20th Anniversary, and footage is being prepared or will be at the show and will be released later, most likely before Leipzig (according to Ryan on the latest KP report, #49).
1up said they'd have their coverage up by Tuesday morning.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MickeyKnox said:
1up said they'd have their coverage up by Tuesday morning.

Yeah but I doubt this means footage. We'll see:p

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ether_Snake said:

he meant footage of the press event demo

dabig2

I think the reason we didn't see footage of the Playstation Premier Event was because they wanted to show it off more at their own party here. I'm positive we'll see all sorts of new footage as soon as the guys can get it to us.
This is a pretty big press event as well, right?

Laurent

dabig2 said:
I think the reason we didn't see footage of the Playstation Premier Event was because they wanted to show it off more at their own party here. I'm positive we'll see all sorts of new footage as soon as the guys can get it to us.
This is a pretty big press event as well, right?
I'm pretty sure we'll see pictures and stuff from the press (GameSpot, 1UP, IGN and what not) that were taken at the Sony event as soon as the embargo is taken off, which I guess make it July 24th... Don't you guys agree?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I would actually prefer to see a video made up by KP rather than filming some display in a room. Like the good MGS3 trailer that featured a lot of actual gameplay with camo patterns flashing on screen and silhouettes of snakes, dogs, weapons, etc. It was an excellent trailer and felt very action packed.

Ah I can't wait for this.

Hopefully they announce the 20th Anniversary Set coming to North America (unless I missed the announcement as I was avoiding the internet until HP 7 came out).

Laurent

Ether_Snake said:
I would actually prefer to see a video made up by KP rather than filming some display in a room. Like the good MGS3 trailer that featured a lot of actual gameplay with camo patterns flashing on screen and silhouettes of snakes, dogs, weapons, etc. It was an excellent trailer and felt very action packed.
Of course, but what if it takes a day or two before getting direct feed stuff and GameSpot or 1UP already published a crappier version. Would you wait?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That is fine if it is separate. Why would it have to be part of the game anyway? It gives them a better chance to focus on their game and market it differently.

So, without sounding like a trouble maker, it's not my intention, but do you guys think it'll also be released on the 360 since there were much bigger rumours surrounding a Metal Gear game that's not MGS4 that should be heading for the 360.

I mean, with it's close to 10 million users on Xbox Live, this could be something. And since it's a Western development company that's doing it, supposedly, it's got more chance of being a good online experience compared to it being done by a Japanese one since they're not big on that.

Top Bottom