• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2012 (F1, MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDY_098

Yes, exactly. They had multi-channel radios in their cars and were able to switch to frequencies of non teammates.

Thanks. Were the teams allowed choose which other teams are allowed to do this, or can any team listen/talk on any other teams radio?

Scottify

Thanks. Were the teams allowed choose which other teams are allowed to do this, or can any team listen/talk on any other teams radio?

I believe some did. Before the race they would try to talk to non-teammates that they drafted well with in practice and get their frequencies.

Normally you can only communicate with your teammates so this was all new ground.

ANDY_098

I believe some did. Before the race they would try to talk to non-teammates that they drafted well with in practice and get their frequencies.

Normally you can only communicate with your teammates so this was all new ground.

Ok, that makes sense. I never realised that they could talk between teams until now.

Am I the only one who thinks of Marcus when they see Cyril?

irLm9LRN0Ial1.jpg

Nice. :D

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ford unveils 2012 WRC livery

uC8Ky.jpg

The all-new Ford Fiesta RS World Rally Car livery was revealed today when the company’s official team unveiled the new colours that will adorn the car in the 2012 FIA World Rally Championship.

Ford World Rally Team director Malcolm Wilson and Ford of Europe motorsport chief Gerard Quinn unveiled the livery for the eye-catching Fiesta RS WRC at the Autosport International Racing Car Show in Birmingham, motorsport’s traditional start-of-season showcase event.

The team will continue to be sponsored by Castrol EDGE. Branding for Castrol’s global range of best-in-class motor oils will feature prominently in the Fiesta RS WRC’s new livery for the upcoming season, as it did in 2011.

The Fiesta RS World Rally Car, with its four wheel-drive transmission and 1.6-litre EcoBoost-inspired engine will once again spearhead Ford’s challenge in the 2012 and 2013 championships. The car, based on the best-selling Fiesta road car, claimed a clean sweep of the podium in both the first and final rounds of its debut season last year.

Finland’s Jari-Matti Latvala and co-driver Miikka Anttila, who topped the world rankings for special stage victories in 2011 and won the final round of the championship in Rally GB last season, are confirmed as team leaders for 2012.

They will be partnered by former world champion Petter Solberg and Chris Patterson, who have signed a one-year agreement to drive the team’s second Fiesta RS WRC in all 13 rounds. The experienced Solberg won the world title in 2003 and the 37-year-old Norwegian has 13 world rally wins to his name. It will be his second stint with Ford, having launched his world rally career with the team in 1999.

Donald Smith, sponsorship manager, Castrol Global Marketing Unit

“Both Castrol and Ford have a long standing association with motorsport and have shared great past successes in rallying, a second placed finish in both the drivers’ and manufacturers’ championships in 2011 being the most recent highlight. The WRC is motorsport’s toughest competition for production-based cars, together we will continue to be able to call upon our vast experiences of developing, testing and optimising the combination of car and engine oil technologies in order to push boundaries and maximise performances.

“The strength of Castrol EDGE, helps to ensure maximum engine performance, and will help give Jari-Matti and Petter the freedom to demand that performance again and again, hundreds of times in a stage.”

Gerard Quinn, Ford of Europe’s senior manager for motorsport, said:

“We have a great partnership with M-Sport and its leader, Malcolm Wilson, and great technical partners in Castrol. Our strong driver line-up includes Jari-Matti Latvala, recognised as one of motorsport’s rising stars. Already regarded by many as the fastest driver in WRC, during 2011 he showed consistency and expertise on all surfaces. We believe he will flourish in his new role as team leader with the Ford World Rally Team, and look forward to seeing his pace light up the special stages around the world.

“The addition of Petter Solberg to the team brings one of the sport’s most experienced and flamboyant drivers back to the team where he started his top-level career. A drivers’ world title in 2003 and 13 world rally victories are testament to his abilities and his vast experience will be a great asset to our driver line-up.”

Malcolm Wilson, team director and M-Sport managing director, said:

“It’s great to have Ford onboard as manufacturers again this season and you can see from the new livery how important Castrol EDGE will be again in 2012 as a technical partner. After such a strong performance last year we are really excited about where we can be at the end of the season. With the car and driving team we have, alongside the experience and expertise of our employees at Dovenby Hall, and our partners, I am confident we can challenge for world titles.”
Source

mHWSq.jpg

b0GZP.jpg

FdP8n.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Pikes Peak 2012 News - Liam Doran reveals Pikes Peak car

This rather mean-looking RS200 is the latest British attempt to conquer the mighty Pikes Peak hill climb. It's been launched at the Autosport International show at Birmingham's NEC today and is to be campaigned by Brit rallycross star Liam Doran.

If you haven't heard of Liam, he's the chap who trounced Travis Pastrana and co at the LA X Games last summer, putting a few Californian 'extreme' noses out of joint in the process. He also happens to be the son of rallycross legend (and 1992 European rallycross runner-up) Pat Doran.

The car itself, which was originally a German hill climb car and is the sister to Pat Doran's former steed, has been built with the help of Forge Motorsport.

It's a determinedly old-school effort, too, with a BDT engine like the original RS200 (albeit bored-out to 2.4-litres from 1.8) and an H-patter X-Trac five-speed transmission. There's nothing old-school about the power output, mind. This thing puts out 925hp and 700lb ft, enough for it to manage 0-60mph in 1.7secs and has a top speed of 160mph, limited (obviously) by some fairly hardcore spoiler-age.

Said aero package consists of a Forge-developed 'F1' carbon fibre rear wing, a flat carbon undertray, a beefy rear diffuser and a DTM-sourced front splitter, as well as a bespoke carbon fibre body. But even this isn't a hugely hi-tech job. We asked Alex Farrhy of Forge whether there's been much in the way of computer-based aero work, to be greeted with a vaguely apologetic grin and the response that "we're kind of planning to do that sort of thing in testing".
But Doran's attempt at Pikes Peak does have some proper backing - Monster Energy are behind the attack. "They were going to sponsor Nobuhiro Tajima [currently the only person to have managed a sub-10 minute run]", says Liam, "but I went to them and, basically, was cheaper. Plus I'm new and fresh-faced rather than an established talent, and that's what they were after."

So how does he rate his chances? "I'm hoping for a time around the 10-minute mark," he says, "but you've got to remember that it's an all-Tarmac event for the first time this year, so we expect the experienced guys to be aiming for the nine-minute mark. The only real advantage we have is that everybody else is facing a new challenge as well this year - plus this car really suits Tarmac, even if I'm personally faster over gravel."

That H-pattern gearbox shouldn't be too much of a hindrance either, Doran hopes "We reckon on losing about 10 seconds versus a sequential gearshift, but the big advantage is reliability - if you miss a gear on a sequential gearbox you blow up the transmission, but you can get away with it more on a traditional shift."
Source

4f8V5.jpg

9ECm4.jpg

AW9dM.jpg

That's one heck of a beast.

thefro

j2Xto.jpg

INDYCAR: Lotus Turns Its First Laps At Palm Beach Shakedown

NASCAR fans turned their attention towards Daytona Beach today as the first day of Sprint Cup testing got under way at the famed Daytona International Speedway, but approximately 200 miles south at the Palm Beach International Raceway complex, a bigger milestone was reached when the Lotus IndyCar engine turned its first laps.

With the first design work beginning last year in mid-February by John Judd’s Engine Developments Limited on behalf of Lotus, the 2.2-liter, twin-turbo V6 engine completed almost a dozen laps in the hands of HVM Racing’s Simona de Silvestro.

With members of Lotus and the EDL team looking on, the Lotus-powered Dallara DW12 met all of its objectives during the shakedown.

“I’d say, overall, things have gone very well,” Judd told SPEED.com. “The car fires up, goes round and round, changes gear…it brakes. In terms of all the major boxes we had to tick, we accomplished it today. For our first shakedown day, it has all gone very well, so far.”

The Lotus team will continue its maiden test on Friday, and Judd says he plans to keep the run plan relatively conservative for now.

“We’re being very cautious right now—slowly, one step at a time. We’re not running full revs or full boost right now. Everything is new, and not just the engine. The car is new, all the systems are new, the McLaren ECU is new to us, so we’re deliberately being conservative on the engine side.”

Turning Lotus’ new IndyCar engine from concept to reality in under 11 months required an aggressive approach by Judd’s EDL team, and with the intensive build program finally reach the test track, he had a laugh when recounting the anxious moments when de Silvestro pulled away from the pits for the first time.

“I have to say I was quite apprehensive…” he said. “I had a reasonable amount of confidence, having spent a lot of time on the dyno, but you never really know until the car drives off for the first time… There’s no complacency there. I was cautiously optimistic, but not overconfident. It’s all very, very new, so you want to manage expectations.”

Source

Scottify

I really like the new Indy Car chassis. I had hoped that they would allow the individual teams to create their own wings this year but I guess letting them get a season under their belts is a good idea. I continue to hope for steady growth for that series.

I'm also interested to see the new Grand AM DP cars. I know Corvette has a chassis but I haven't heard if any other manufacturers are updating theirs as well or if every DP team will be using the Corvette model.

TylerD

NASCAR bans multi-car radio communications

Oh boy. This should be fun at Daytona. I'm expecting it'll cull tandem racing ... and lead to a wreckfest.

This will be very interesting indeed. Good riddance to the tandem racing.

Regarding: Pikes Peak

Being an optimist, I am very excited to see the turnout and the different types of machines that will be running up the mountain now. That RS200 is SICK! So happy I went to see it before the course was fully paved.

Scottify

Nascar winter testing at Daytona, pack racing without radios.
http://youtu.be/ytEErU9YQag

From my very limited knowledge of Nascar it seems to bunch the pack up rather than creating pairs of cars.

That is their exact intention. Fans and even the track owners expressed concern of the tandem car racing at restrictor plate tracks. Citing it as boring, predictable. They wanted to see it how it used to be, with big packs of cars together. Sounds like that's what is happening, at least during testing.

mblitek

I'm uploading the Dubai 24hrs too! I'm still uploading the Dakar too! Also, a bunch of new magazines...PM me for details to my server.

ANDY_098

What are the best IndyCar and Nascar races to watch and when are they? I always end up catching the odd race and usually enjoy it, will try and make more of an effort this year.

Scottify

I think opinions vary, obviously. But for me, my top 5 are.

These are all NASCAR races below
1) Daytona 500 -- 26/2
2) Bristol Night -- 25/8
3) Talladega -- 6/5 or 7/10
4) Richmond -- 28/4 or 8/9
5) Martinsville -- 1/4 or 28/10

For IndyCar I like Infineon and Long Beach

Hope this helps.

Chris R

What are the best IndyCar and Nascar races to watch and when are they? I always end up catching the odd race and usually enjoy it, will try and make more of an effort this year.

I'd try to watch at least one race in each of the different "disciplines" for Nascar at bare minimum. One Super Speedway race (Daytona/Talladega), one Speedway race (tons of tracks to choose from, I like Texas), one short track race (Martinsville or Bristol), and one of the road course races (Infineon or Watkins Glen).

edit: I'd suggest these ones

Watkins Glen - 8/12
Bristol - 8/25
Talladega - 10/7
Texas - 11/4

ANDY_098

I think opinions vary, obviously. But for me, my top 5 are.

These are all NASCAR races below
1) Daytona 500 -- 26/2
2) Bristol Night -- 25/8
3) Talladega -- 6/5 or 7/10
4) Richmond -- 28/4 or 8/9
5) Martinsville -- 1/4 or 28/10

For IndyCar I like Infineon and Long Beach

Hope this helps.

I'd try to watch at least one race in each of the different "disciplines" for Nascar at bare minimum. One Super Speedway race (Daytona/Talladega), one Speedway race (tons of tracks to choose from, I like Texas), one short track race (Martinsville or Bristol), and one of the road course races (Infineon or Watkins Glen).

Thanks. Will keep an eye out for these.

B.K.

The Cup drivers have been in Daytona testing for just two days and I'm already sick of hearing about Danica Patrick. Waltrip and the other commentators can't go five minutes without mentioning her. There's nothing special about her. She's just another washed out open wheel driver who thinks anyone can drive a stock car and that she'll win every race she's in. I'll be glad when she washes out of NASCAR too so we never have to hear of her again.

Chris R

The Cup drivers have been in Daytona testing for just two days and I'm already sick of hearing about Danica Patrick. Waltrip and the other commentators can't go five minutes without mentioning her. There's nothing special about her. She's just another washed out open wheel driver who thinks anyone can drive a stock car and that she'll win every race she's in. I'll be glad when she washes out of NASCAR too so we never have to hear of her again.
If she brings more viewers (and therefore more sponsorship money) I'm fine with her. Anything that improves the health of the sport.

Thanks. Will keep an eye out for these.

I'll add in Darlington (May 12) to that list, if only because it is so atypical compared to all the other speedway races. It still races almost the same as it did nearly 50 years ago.

At least I can watch IndyCar without DanicaWatch going on now. Maybe this will cut down on the number of "WHERE'S JUNIOR?!" questions I see in the Yahoo! Sports race chats.

ANDY_098

That's a great poster. Given you've said it's the first, is it safe to assume that there'll be others? That can be ordered?!?

It said it is the first on the Le Mans site, so there should be more.

There aren't any posters in the Le Mans shop online at the moment, they might put them up on the future though.

ANDY_098

mblitek

that actually "aired" on one of the sites I host, www.axisofoversteer.com . Jalopnik & Autoblog have stolen a lot of our stuff over the years and just regurgitated it. It is rather annoying…

anyhow, I'm about halfway done uploading both the last part of the Dubai 24 hour race as well as the Dakar race. I didn't bother uploading the Dubai 24 hour in 720p just because I'm so behind on uploading other stuff and the Dakar in 720p took way too long! Actually, I'm just uploading the last 950mb of the Dakar videos now. Once that's done I have a huge backlog to fill.

ANDY_098

Dakar photos are up at The Big Picture.
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/01/dakar_rally_2012.html

-----

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97047
Toyota's all-new 2012 Le Mans 24 Hours contender hit the track for the first time last week.

The Japanese manufacturer's petrol-electric hybrid LMP1 coupe was shaken down over three days at Paul Ricard, starting on Wednesday. No comment has been forthcoming from Toyota Motorsport GmbH about the test, but it is understood that the car completed several hundred kilometres of largely trouble-free running.

All three of the drivers who will race Toyota's solo entry at Le Mans and in selected rounds of the FIA World Endurance Championship this year were on hand at the test.

It is believed that Alex Wurz, whose team-mates are Nicolas Lapierre and Kazuki Nakajima, was at the wheel for the first laps and undertook the majority of the driving.

Further testing is scheduled at Ricard at the end of the month, when more official details of Toyota's progress should emerge.

The car, a name for which has yet to be announced, is expected to make its race debut in the Spa WEC round in May.

First news of the test I've seen, all seems to be going well.

ANDY_098

There was this drawing released a while ago:

WHmOW.jpg

There probably won't be any pictures until the official launch, which is supposed to be at the end of this month.

Ark

There was this drawing released a while ago:

http://i.imgur.com/WHmOW.jpg[IMG]

There probably won't be any pictures until the official launch, which is supposed to be at the end of this month.[/QUOTE]

I do remember seeing that, but I can't help but be more and more excited for Le Mans this year, it's just a shame that I can't go.

ANDY_098

2014 will be the next big year with Porsche coming in. Missing this year won't matter so much if you can make it in 2014.

Ark

2014 will be the next big year with Porsche coming in. Missing this year won't matter so much if you can make it in 2014.

I try not to think about Porsche, I don't want to get too excited before Le Mans 2012 has even happened.

mclaren777

I would just like to apologize for Robby Gordon's idiotic statements and behavior near the end of Dakar.

We're not all like that.

dubc35

Anyone know if there are any channels covering live stages of WRC Rallye Monte Carlo? Or all we all subject to the lifeless 30 minute highlight show Eurosport puts on?

dubc35

I figured that was the case. :( ES2 had live stage coverage of a couple days when the IRC was there 2(?) years ago. That was the first time I had ever seen live rally stages (I live in the US). It was so much more exciting than the highlight shows. After falling asleep during the highlight shows a couple times I haven't watched them in a year or so. The driver change up this season has me interested again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom