• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Magazine: Cing - The Final Chapter (Tidbits)

242px-Cing_Logo.svg.png
1126629-rikasuzuki.gif

So the 100th Issue Special has an article about Cing/interview with Rika Suzuki by Matthew Castle (twitter) and I'm gonna paraphrase/post tidbits as an in remembrance to the company that created my favourite character and as a closure piece to Cing fans.

I recommend buying the magazine, which is out now (UK), for the full low down and informations.

First a reminder of Cing's more celebrated series/games:
Another Code (EU) /Trace Memory (US)

Hotel Dusk: Room 215/Last Window: The Secret of Cape West

Co-developed Little King Story

Again
Onto the article:
  • It has been three years since Cing has closed down, March 5th 2010
  • In her own words, Suzuki was "Vice President at Cing. It was mainly creative work, and I was in charge of game planning and scenarios."
  • She started up a company called Bellwood , which makes smartphone and web apps.
  • Bellwood also includes some personnels from Cing and Riverhillsoft she worked with.
  • "The reason [Cing went bankrupt] is that a game went into prolonged development and the costs went up, so we ran into cashflow problems"
  • The plotline to Last Window: The Secret of Cape West was thought to be similar to Cing's financial difficulties when fans played it. Suzuki explains: "That was just a coincidence." "A very sad coincidence" ='(
  • When they were in a pinch, they had many discussion with Nintendo but in the end Cing filed for bankruptcy.
    cwCLaOo.jpg
  • Nintendo relationship is remembered the most fondly due to Nintendo embracing narrative driven gaming.
  • Originally proposed a GBA game, someone at Nintendo had played a game she made at Riverhillsoft and asked her to propse a DS game, that game was Another Code/Trace Memory.
  • Asked if Nintendo and Cing's relationship had some tension. She says they shared the same concept of using touch screen and attracting new gamers except Nintendo was not too interested in games that can only be enjoyed once, that was the tension.
  • Had Cing continued developing games she admits Ashley's story would have continued: "Ashley's story continues to unfold inside me". She would have written a story starring a 19-year old Ashley that would "include an episode which Ashley was reunited with Matthew".
  • May have also a crossover story between Kyle Hyde and Ashley.
  • Emphasises to make Kyle Hyde's personality and history realistic they chose to use Los Angeles as the backdrop. Whilst Another Code was set on the West Coast of America but fictional lakeside town and city, was to reflect Ashley's unstable mental state; thus strange settings"
  • When asked if Cing survived would their world eventually collide: "That's right. The story of Kyle Hyde as an old man meeting Ashley would be extremely interesting I think."
  • She lists off some of her ideas for game stories she had at Cing.
  • Interview ends with her hoping the new hardwares will bring new types of adventure games.
  • "There is potential for the right games to be accepted in the west. If there is s constant stream of high-quality titles for smartphones and tablets, surely the fun will catch on."
  • Concluding remarks: "If Cing had not closed down, I think I would be planning an online mobile game that explores new kinds of mystery-solving."

I feel sorry for you American folks that never got a chance to play Last Window and Another Code: R =(

Best characters ever:
LWS-Kyle1.gif
LWS-Rachel.gif
LWS-Nicole2.gif

HLdg1.gif

If only...
ZgpdX.gif

I will always miss you Cing ='(
Source = Official Nintendo Magazine 100th Issue

Goli

While it saddens me that Cing doesn't exist anymore, I think it's really exciting that they're now a company that makes smartphone apps since I'd love a game like Hotel Dusk on iOS.
In fact, I'm sure that with a little marketing they could become very successful.
Also omg those little artbooks on the Bellwood website are wonderful.
EDIT: Also I'd like to remind everyone they also developed Again for the DS. Very underrated game in the vein of Hotel Dusk, but slightly darker.

oti

Banned
Another Code and Hotel Dusk. Just two reasons why the DS probably is my favourite console of all time.

Dascu

They will be missed. Imagine the puzzles they could've done on the 3DS or even WiiU, with the new gimmicks/controller.

I was always gutted that Nintendo never stepped in to save them. If there was one company I would have done anything to save, it was Cing. I adored both Kyle Hyde adventures, and Another Code R was one of the nicest games I've ever played. The part about how the two series would have continued is particularly bitter-sweet.

Kyle Hyde was such an ace character. Does anyone know who owns the IP now? I doubt I'd want another entry without the same team, but if the IP survived with Nintendo it is always possible that they'll allow ex-Cing people to take it out for a spin again. Or so I can dream.

I really hope that at some point her new company gets the chance to release another title in the west.

mantidor

:( Cing, how sad.

That bit about Nintendo being interested in narrative in gaming is quite surprising, that what thet don't like is non replayable narrative gameplay is even more interesting.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I feel sorry for you American folks that never got a chance to play Last Window and Another Code: R =(

I just imported Last Window over the summer! Well worth it. Thanks for posting this my friend. Shame that we'll never get another Kyle Hyde adventure :/ I'll always have his suit in Animal Crossing to pay tribute I guess :p

OMG Aero

Had Cing continued developing games she admits Ashley's story would have continued: "Ashley's story continues to unfold inside me". She would have written a story starring a 19-year old Ashley that would "include an episode which Ashley was reunited with Matthew".
God damnit, I always thought Another Code R wrapped up some plot points in a really unsatisfying way (
Didn't they finish the story of Matthew's missing dad by just having the park ranger get a call saying they found him or something with no explanation?
) so it's incredibly disappointing to hear that they would have continued the series if they could.

I might play through that again soon. Another Code R has some really good presentation, and I remember some of the puzzles doing neat things with the Wii remote and system.

Daknight

I remember Hotel Dusk was THE game I played during my train commute. It actually made me hate arriving at my destination since I wanted to play some more. I was sad the sequel to it and Another R never made here (but Thank God the DS was region free and of course homebrew to enable region free gaming on Wii).

I was extremely sad when they went under and being trying to find there last game release here (Again), but have been unable to find (in stores that is) :( Ebay it is!

jonno394

The Kyle Hyde games are two of my favourite games full stop, not just on the DS. The character is charming, funny and likeable, traits many main characters fail miserably at.

I wish we could have a final act to the trilogy.

terrisus

Cing made some really great games, and definitely could have continued to make even more amazing games going forward.
It's really a shame that things had to end the way that they did.

daxgame

I was always gutted that Nintendo never stepped in to save them. If there was one company I would have done anything to save, it was Cing. I adored both Kyle Hyde adventures, and Another Code R was one of the nicest games I've ever played. The part about how the two series would have continued is particularly bitter-sweet.

Pretty sure Another Code R bombed hard, and Last Window too didn't do too well :(. I am also sad that they had to close but we don't know how bad the situation was.

Cess007

Man, when they told me Cing went bankrupt, i shed a tear. Hotel Dusk, Another Code, Another Code R and Last Window are one my all-time favorites games ever; i even enjoyed Again even with all it's flaws. I hate that neither Hotel Dusk, Another Code or Again won't ever see a proper ending for their stories :(

May have also a crossover story between Kyle Hyde and Ashley.

Goddammit! Now i'm angry!!! :mad:

javac

I've never played any of these games. I've heard good things about them. I'm guessing I should pick them up?

I imported Last Window. It's great.

I really, really liked Trace Memory and I was disappointed that the second game never made it here. :(

Westraid

Whenever someone brings up CiNG or the Kyle Hide games I get a little sad.
The Kyle Hyde games were my favourite DS games. If I could only play one more sequel to any videogame, it would be that one.
It's a shame that I can't erase that part of my memory so I can experience it all again.

I would recommend these games to anyone. It's sad that there'll probably won't be anymore, but you'll be missing out if you don't try them out.

tumblr_m2tsb4TZ7c1rs95bro1_400.gif

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ive played both Hotel Dusk-games, and the Another Code-game for DS, and while I think they might be a bit overrated, they are still pretty good and exactly the kind of games Nintendo should be funding to diversify their lineup, so its maddening that they let them go bankrupt. I also think its thanks to a ton of games like this that the DS especially will always be really fondly regarded, as there was just so much variety there. RIP Cing :(

oti

Banned
And now imagine having a DS Virtual Console on the 3DS. Would've bought both Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Another Code Doppelte Erinnerung (German title sounds cooler) immediately. Now I have to search eBay and Amazon. :(

Hotel Dusk and Another Code were some of my fondest memories on the DS, and I've been saving Last Window for the future because games like that are just so rare these days. I guess I'm part of the problem for not buying it day one.

Will take a gander at this if it is in WHSmiths. I remember Edge did a cool spread on Cing years ago and even illustrated all the staff in Hotel Dusk's sketchy style. Issue #202 if anyone has their back issues.

Davey Cakes

Gotta love that the DS Lite is region-free. Importing Last Window after enjoying Hotel Dusk so much was well worth it. A good sequel.

I lament the fact that more Kyle Hyde games won't happen.

Nice reminder that I need to get round to finally buying Again. Hotel Dusk is a great game, Last Window is God tier. Everything about it is fantastic, from the visual style to the atmosphere to the music. Highly recommended!

Cess007

I have Another Code and Hotel Dusk here, right beside me.

Such good games. I shed a tear when they closed down. :(

Hold them, hold them tight! For some reason i can't comprehend right now, i sold them both :(

Nice reminder that I need to get round to finally buying Again. Hotel Dusk is a great game, Last Window is God tier. Everything about it is fantastic, from the visual style to the atmosphere to the music. Highly recommended!

Just a warning, Again ain't as good as Kyle Hyde games (Hotel Dusk, Last Window) nor Another Code. It's a good but flawed game. Regardless i enjoyed it and the ending left me wanting more (just as almost every single Cing game)

daydream

Banned
Changed my avatar to Iris yesterday, what a coincidence.

Cing gave us some great games, no way they'll be forgotten.

Daknight

Man, if they could had lasted till this time. There games could be eshop releases cutting down on retail loses (yes I know, we all love retail, but if it let's them keep afloat easier and generate income, I welcome that). They could had also done Kickstart campaing for there games.

m0t0k1

One of the reasons why Wii and DS where my favorite consoles this gen where thanks to CING little king story and Another Code are in my top 5 wii games and hotel dusk and another code in my favorites list on DS i never got the chance to play Last window maybe need to track that down. because i loved hotel but never saw it in stores so never bothered to buy.

Man, if they could had lasted till this time. There games could be eshop releases cutting down on retail loses (yes I know, we all love retail, but if it let's them keep afloat easier and generate income, I welcome that). They could had also done Kickstart campaing for there games.
Crossed my mind, too but doesn't Kickstarter keep the cash until the project is complete? Still a cash flow problem potentially.

Where did these guys end up afterwards anyway?

Someone tell them to make a kickstarter for the Hotel Dusk finale and I'll give them all of my money :(
ALL OF IT

Last Window was no where near as good as Hotel Dusk but it was still enjoyable. Never got to play Another Code R. Hopefully virtual console some time in the future. That'd be nice. But saying if Cing was still around they'd be making mobile games means they'd be doing the same thing her company is doing now so meh.

Tohsaka

How does Again compare to the Hotel Dusk/Another code games? I loved both entries in the HD/Another Code series and have been meaning to play Again forever, but have never gotten around to it.

So sad to read. I have thoroughly enjoyed every game Cing did and I can only say that about a few developers. I even imported Last Window and Another Code R. It's a shame that we'll probably never see either series continue.

I also enjoyed Again quite a bit and I think it gets a lot of undeserved hate.

How does Again compare to the Hotel Dusk/Another code games? I loved both entries in the HD/Another Code series and have been meaning to play Again forever, but have never gotten around to it.

It's certainly not as good but does have an interesting story and characters. It doesn't have as much exploration as the other two but it has a neat mechanic that allows you to see the past of certain locations to help solve puzzles, which I really liked.

Sadist

Hmmm... guess I'll pick up that Another Code R for € 5,99 here in Holland.

I really liked Last Window btw. It was a bit slow, but I enjoyed the graphical style and all of the mysteries around the appartement. Great stuff.

Daknight

Crossed my mind, too but doesn't Kickstarter keep the cash until the project is complete? Still a cash flow problem potentially.

I don't think so, or no current kickstart project would be done. We wouldn't heard problems of people 'stealing' the money and never delivering things either.

I believe there is a rule that an offer reward must be giving or you have to refund the money. Otherwise when your goal is reach, you get the money to work on the project right away (minus the Kickstart fee that is).

Oh man, Hotel Dusk, loved this game so much. First game I got with my DS Lite, I'll never forget this little gem. It's a shame what happened, I would love to see more stuff with Kyle Hyde.

Edit: Had to change my avatar. Them feels came right up.

grumpy

Loved both Hotel Dusk games and I'm pretty fucking pissed that there's (probably?) never going to be a sequel/spinoff/whatever.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Sucks :( you can buy last window though for the DS since the DS isnt region lock, was planning on buying the series.

Etzer

I loved their games and it pains me that we most likely won't see any more of them. While not perfect, Trace Memory/Another Code has to my favorite game of all time. :(

I'd buy the magazine if I were in UK

Man I have always wanted to play Trace Memory/Another Code 2. I mean I can import Last Window but I have no options for that game. I always thought like it looked like the best of the bunch too.

Plus I'm still bitter at NoA that they went several months without releasing any first party Wii games when an already english version of this game existed and they wouldn't be bothered to print some discs. It's shit like this I don't have a WiiU.

Tenki

What does she refer to with this?

When they were in a pinch, they had many discussion with Nintendo but in the end Cing filed for bankruptcy.

There were negotiations between Cing and Nintendo so the latter could buy the former?

Top Bottom