• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo PR: 40 million downloads of Super Mario Run in 4 days

JoeM86

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2016/161221.html

iPhone & iPad向け『SUPER MARIO™ RUN』
App Store最速・配信開始より4日間で全世界4,000万ダウンロード突破のお知らせ

任天堂株式会社(本社:京都市南区、代表取締役社長:君島達己)は、2016年12月15日(太平洋標準時)に配信を開始した『Super Mario Run(スーパーマリオ ラン)』が、配信開始より4日間で全世界4,000万ダウンロードを突破したことをお知らせいたします。また、『Super Mario Run』は140の国と地域のApp Store無料ゲームランキングで1位となり、全世界100のApp Storeで収益を上げたゲームトップ10に入りました。

今回『Super Mario Run』が4,000万ダウンロードを突破したことについて、『Super Mario Run』の開発をリードした当社代表取締役クリエイティブフェローの宮本茂は、以下のように語っています。
「全世界の多くの方々に新しいマリオをお届けできたことを、大変嬉しく思っています。購入して得られる内容を十分に理解いただくには、もう少し時間が必要かもしれませんが、購入を決めていただいた方が徐々に増えていることを実感しています。今後はさらに多くの方に、片手で遊べるマリオの魅力を感じていただき、お子様にも安心して与えていただけるゲームとして、幅広く受け入れていただくことを目指したいと思います。」

また、米国Apple社ワールドワイドマーケティング・シニアバイスプレジデントであるフィル・シラー氏は以下のように語っています。
「『Super Mario Run』はこれまでのApp Storeの記録を打ち破り、僅か4日間で4,000万以上のダウンロードという信じられない記録を打ち立てました。私たちは任天堂の皆様と、キノコ王国を楽しんでいる何千万のiOSユーザーを祝福したいと思います。」

現在『Super Mario Run』は、150の国と地域のApp Storeからダウンロードが可能です。『Super Mario Run』にはゴールを目指す『ワールドツアー』、世界中のプレイヤーとスコアを競う『キノピオラリー』、自分だけの王国を作る『王国づくり』の3つのモードが搭載されており、9.99ドル(米国価格。ユーロ圏は9.99ユーロ、日本は1,200円)をお支払いいただければ、以後追加課金の心配なく全てのモードを好きなだけ遊んでいただける販売モデルを採用しております。

当社はこのマリオの新しいアクションゲームを、「当社IP(知的財産)に触れていただける方を拡大する」という目標のもとに、ビデオゲーム事業以上の幅広い国と地域の皆様に、お届けしております。

Will leave it to someone more well-versed for a specific translation, but there we have it. It's a record for the App Store

Starting my (rough) translation - very out of practice and I gave up being 100% accurate towards the last paragraph since I'm still at work:
Super Mario Run for iPhone & iPad
The fastest title on the App Store to break through 40 million downloads, doing so in less than 4 days.

Since having started distributing Super Mario Run on December 15th, Nintendo announced that the title had broken 40 million downloads globally in less than 4 days. Moreover, Super Mario Run is the top ranking free game download in 140 countries and regions, whilst also reaching the top ten lists for highest grossing titles across 100 App stores.

At this time, Super Mario Run’s Lead Developer, and Creative Director at Nintendo, Miyamoto, said the following regarding Super Mario Run having broken 40 million downloads:

“I’m overjoyed at having been able to deliver a new Mario game to so many people from all over the world. It’s perhaps necessary to have a little more time being having a sufficient understanding of the profits earned by the game as I feel that the numbers of people who decide to purchase the title will gradually increase. From now on, we are aiming at broadening the reach of the game so even more people come to experience the joys of playing Mario one handed as a game that even children can feel at ease playing.

Morever, Apple’s Worldwide Senior Vice President of Marketing, Phil Schiller, had the following to say:

“Super Mario Run breaking the current record of hitting 40m downloads within 40 days was not something that we thought could be done. We at Apple, alongside those from Nintendo and the Mushroom Kingdom are blessed to be able to share this experience with countless iOS users.

Right now, you can download Super Mario Run from the App Store across 150 countries and regions. Super Mario Run includes 3 game modes, a ‘World Tour’ where you aim to finish each stage, a mode where you battle other players and their scores, and one where you make your own Kingdom. The game’s payment model is one where after paying $9.99, you can play for as much as you want without having to pay any additional fees.

Regarding our new Mario action game, we’re looking to increase exposure to our existing IPs as a way to grow our video game business. Thanks everyone for your time.

mocoworm

TRANSLATION:

iPhone & iPad for "SUPER MARIO ™ RUN"
App Store's fastest-distribution start than in the four-day worldwide 40 million download breakthrough announcements

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Kyoto Minami-ku, President: Kimishima Tatsumi) is, 2016 We are pleased to inform you that "Super Mario Run (Super Mario Run)" which started distribution on December 15 (Pacific Standard Time) has exceeded 40 million downloads worldwide in 4 days from the start of distribution. In addition, "Super Mario Run" ranks first in the App Store free game ranking in 140 countries and regions, and has entered the top 10 games that earned money in 100 App Store worldwide.

Shigeru Miyamoto of our company creative fellow, who led the development of "Super Mario Run" on this time "Super Mario Run" exceeded 40 million downloads, says as follows.
"I am delighted that I was able to deliver a new Mario to many people in the whole world.It may need a little more time to fully understand the content obtained by purchasing, I realize that people who have decided to gradually increase the number of people in the future We hope that more people will feel the charm of Mario which can be played with one hand and accept widely as a game which children can give with confidence I would like to aim I am. "

in addition, the United States Phil Schiller is Apple's worldwide marketing senior vice president says as follows.
"Super Mario Run broke through the record of the previous App Store and set up an incredible record of more than 40 million downloads in just 4 days.We are enjoying the Northern Kingdom with the people of Nintendo I would like to congratulate the tens of millions of iOS users. "

current" Super Mario Run "is available for download from the App Store in 150 countries and regions. "Super Mario Run" has three modes, "World Tour" aiming at the goal, "Kinopion Rally" competing with players around the world, "Kingdom making" making your own kingdom, and 9.99 If you pay dollar (US price, euro area 9.99 euro, Japan 1200 yen), we will adopt a sales model that you can play as much as you like all the modes without worrying about additional billing later.

We will deliver this new action game of Mario to everyone in a wide range of countries and regions over the video game business with the goal of "expanding those who can touch our IP (Intellectual Property)" We are.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Jesus christ. Must have smashed the previous record by a near order magnitude and still hasn't released on android.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great launch perfomance - should doing very well over the Holidays with a lot of iTunes gift cards being sold. Next year the Android version should do quite well too.

I expect them to add in extra levels (for both versions) at the same time they drop the Android version.

Quonny

Need number of people that paid. The number of people that download a demo isn't a worthless number, but it really is only part of the picture.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus christ. Must have smashed the previous record by a near order magnitude and still hasn't released on android.

Absolutely.

For example this chart is based off of RUN reaching 25m downloads today vs 40m.

super-mario-run-25-million-downloads-800x497.jpg

Which is already crushing everything, so I can only imagine how the graph would look updated to reflect the 40m number.

Great figures, but conversion rates will be interesting to see. Anecdotally, my stepdaughter downloaded this for her son to play and was frustrated to realise there was a charge to purchase the full game and that it was an autorunner. I think there needs to be a clearer upfront explanation regarding the charge, as I think it's causing at least a little confusion and hurting WoM a bit.

Oregano

More than twice as many people downloaded Super Mario Run in four days as bought the Wii U in four years.

Might be more people than will buy Switch too

JoeM86

Great figures, but conversion rates will be interesting to see. Anecdotally, my stepdaughter downloaded this for her son to play and was frustrated to realise there was a charge to purchase the full game and that it was an autorunner. I think there needs to be a clearer upfront explanation regarding the charge, as I think it's causing at least a little confusion and hurting WoM a bit.

It makes me sad that people get frustrated because companies request payment for their services :/

JoeM86

Free to play Minecraft, next Pokemon mobile game?

Just because it's Pokémon doesn't mean it'll do well.

Countless Pokémon apps/games have had services discontinued because they just weren't doing well.

The other active Pokémon games on mobile, Pokémon Shuffle and Pokémon Comaster have had 15 million and 1 million downloads respectively.

Name isn't all there is to success.

Griss

For years I was absolutely convinced that

a) Nintendo games would smash records on iOS. And...
b) Nintendo games would do very very well on the playstation / xbox ecosystems.

I'm surprised how many people disagreed with both statements on GAF and elsewhere. First one appears to have been true, anyway.

Congrats Nintendo. Your IP is your astonishing strength.

test_account

XP-39C²
An amazing number! Curious to see the download:purchase ratio. Guess we'll never know for sure, but we might get to know purchase numbers if they hit certain milestones.

Matbtz

More than twice as many people downloaded Super Mario Run in four days as bought the Wii U in four years.

Might be more people than will buy Switch too

That's a meaningless comparison, we could make the same regarding X1 or soon with the PS4 but ok.

It makes me sad that people get frustrated because companies request payment for their services :/

You're misunderstanding - it was that she hadn't been clear upfront that it was a taster with the full game behind a paywall, and went in expecting something more like the ad-supported free autorunners her son has played before. I knew about the game from announcement (or from the first hints of it from people like Serkan Toto) and knew what to expect in terms of pricing and content etc., but she stumbled over it in the app store and downloaded it not realising what the payment structure was like.

Not everyone will do even cursory research before downloading - let alone what we might do in terms of finding out about a game and keeping up with news - so I think absolute clarity is best for this kind of payment structure, and my impression is that there has been at least a little bit of confusion over it here.

oti

Banned
That's normal. What I don't get is people here on GAF and game journalists being genuinely disappointed Nintendo didn't go down the F2P money grabbing route. If you're not an analyst or investor, what's wrong with you?

Alpha_eX

What good is people walking into a store and leaving without buying anything? Of course, everyone will take a look but most are leaving with a bad experience and won't bother with the next.

Curious to see downloads vs purchases, official figures.

oti

Banned
What good is people walking into a store and leaving without buying anything? Of course, everyone will take a look but most are leaving with a bad experience and won't bother with the next.

Curious to see downloads vs purchases, official figures.

That comparison makes little sense.

More downloads -> higher ranking -> more downloads -> higher ranking

Top Bottom