• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo PR: 40 million downloads of Super Mario Run in 4 days

Well, honestly, title should read "40 million people downloaded the demo" by that standard.

If people aren't already reading it that way, I'd say they aren't seeing the full picture. I really get the sense (Hell, I know this is the case, even in the games media)| that people don't understand the business model for Mario Run.

It's a lot of downloads, and there's a worth to that for Nintendo's brand awareness and IP; hard to measure, but it means something. Beyond that though, the actual conversion to paying customers hasn't been touted a whole lot, and it's an open question as to whether or not people are putting money into this thing in anything that amounts to a meaningful way.

Does it really matter how many people downloaded a demo?

Glad the game seems to be doing well though—that top grossing spot is great. Nintendo deserves every penny IMO, I usually hate mobile games but I've been playing this one non stop.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
If people aren't already reading it that way, I'd say they aren't seeing the full picture. I really get the sense (Hell, I know this is the case, even in the games media)| that people don't understand the business model for Mario Run.

It's a lot of downloads, and there's a worth to that for Nintendo's brand awareness and IP; hard to measure, but it means something. Beyond that though, the actual conversion to paying customers hasn't been touted a whole lot, and it's an open question as to whether or not people are putting money into this thing in anything that amounts to a meaningful way.

Yep, and also worth noting that every one of those 40m made a MyNintendo account.

I am one of those 40 million, but deleted it when the paywall showed itself....

Seems like people post this stuff and feel like they deserve a fucking award or something. Uh, congrats, for missing out on a great game because you think everything should be free? If you were having fun with the demo, why would you not at least considering buying the full game? Not sure why it's something to be so proud of, like you're making some kind of statement.

la_briola

I'm wondering, has any product or item ever (that has been available to download) been downloaded as many times as that in history?? Music, games, software, operating systems?

gmail on android for example: Installs 1,000,000,000 - 5,000,000,000
whatsapp on android too: Installs 1,000,000,000 - 5,000,000,000

the list goes on.

Yep, and also worth noting that every one of those 40m made a MyNintendo account.

This isn't something I was considering, but very true. I imagine those accounts are all going to get hit with Switch announcement e-mails in the not too distant future. (I'm sure in-game advertising is an option too.)

Not necessarily, the download still counts even if you say "screw that" at the account screen. Also, multiple devices, redownloads etc....

Event assuming something crazy like 1/2 of the people who downloaded it fell into your categories, that still multiplies the account userbase by several times.

Mihos

Gold Member
Seems like people post this stuff and feel like they deserve a fucking award or something. Uh, congrats, for missing out on a great game because you think everything should be free? If you were having fun with the demo, why would you not at least considering buying the full game? Not sure why it's something to be so proud of, like you're making some kind of statement.

I wouldn't go that far, I hate phone gaming in almost all cases, but I downloaded it out of curiosity. I don't spend money on phone games because I hate it as a platform, nothing to do with the game or developer at all. I just assume he was coming from that perspective

I wouldn't go that far, I hate phone gaming in almost all cases, but I downloaded it out of curiosity. I don't spend money on phone games because I hate it as a platform, nothing to do with the game or developer at all. I just assume he was coming from that perspective

Your assumption is kind.

There is a substantial contingent of people who seem to believe paying more than a dollar for a game on a phone is an insane proposition. The race to the bottom that's occurred on that platform is terribly damaging to how "value" is perceived on that platform. I'd venture to guess that part of the reason you dislike the platform is due to the many f2p mechanics that have become second nature its games as an end-around to still getting people to pay for your product. (Plenty of other reasons to dislike it too, I'm sure.)

Seik

Banned
It isn'[t that complicated.

We have first party talent inside NIntendo being moved to mobile development, massive success will hasten that. Then you have to wonder how long before some franchises transition. For example, the next Animal Crossing game could be f2p mobile with micro-transactions as that would make so much more money than a console version. For some, that would be really sad news. Do you understand now?

It might never happen of course, but NInty is a business and it would be bad business not to allocate your talent and resources into the most profitable areas.

I might be wrong, but wasn't it DeNa who handled SMR's development?

Sure it was supervised by Nintendo, but I think their main first party talents are on the Switch currently.

It might never happen of course, but NInty is a business and it would be bad business not to allocate your talent and resources into the most profitable areas.

You say this while assuming that Super Mario Run and most other Nintendo Mobile games would NOT be primarily handled by DeNA with Nintendo's creative supervision from said Mobile division going forward.

Sure it was supervised by Nintendo, but I think their main first party talents are on the Switch currently.

It was my impression that Nintendo was directly involved on this one, but I could be wrong.

10/10 post, this is literally perfect.

I'm going to memorize this so I can talk some mad shit to the next person I meet who thinks they're cool for not spending money on a product.

bumpkin

And yet, they have said they aren't going to be adding any new content to the game because in their eyes it was a "failure." I don't understand Nintendo.

...sometimes I think even Nintendo doesn't understand Nintendo.

Thank you for this

Telling that they stopped giving purchase info.

As already mentioned in this thread, Miyamoto literally said, in the press release itself, they believe the number of purchases will increase, and I believe them. It's nearly Christmas, all sorts of people will be spending all sorts of money, I can see someone realizing they have $10 left over from all their gift shopping and just spending it on Mario. Or something.

Anyways, they obviously want to wait a little while before sharing that number. I mean, if the ratio was low, like 2% low, then all we'll see online is more "NINTENDOOOMED" comments. And this is PR, if you want the amount of revenue, wait for their financial reports. That'll give the game a significant amount of time on the market for you to really get an idea of how well it did.

So Miyamoto literally addressed your concern. They'll likely share more numbers when they feel it's right.

And yet, they have said they aren't going to be adding any new content to the game because in their eyes it was a "failure." I don't understand Nintendo.

Did Nintendo ever state that? I should check, but I think it was just analysts or something like that. Why would Nintendo ever call their own software a failure before it's even spent a few days on the market, lmao.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
And yet, they have said they aren't going to be adding any new content to the game because in their eyes it was a "failure."
I know the post truth era is strong in some regions, but still... Do you reaaally believe in what you said?

Sjefen

Jesus calm down, I made an obeservation based upon my own experience. 109kr is way to expensive for a Mobile game, no matter how great you think it is. I thought the 3 levels were ok.

Who said I was proud? Why are you so angry is the real question?

DrkSage

Absolutely.

For example this chart is based off of RUN reaching 25m downloads today vs 40m.

super-mario-run-25-million-downloads-800x497.jpg

Which is already crushing everything, so I can only imagine how the graph would look updated to reflect the 40m number.

Nintendo should tweet to supercell the good game bubble while spamming the laughing king emote

Wait... what? They didn't say that at all.

Luq

I'm expecting something around 120m after Android release. Ofc most of these are trail users who didnt purchase full game but it's still damn impressive!

atr0cious

That's normal. What I don't get is people here on GAF and game journalists being genuinely disappointed Nintendo didn't go down the F2P money grabbing route. If you're not an analyst or investor, what's wrong with you?
It's a full fledged Nintendo game on a system they own, they want to play it. F2p let's them play it without having to pay as the f2p is aimed at whales' tendencies.
It was my impression that Nintendo was directly involved on this one, but I could be wrong.
You're right. Takashi Tezuka is the director of the game. Nintendo was directly in charge of the mechanics.

Nah, Nintendo is making a statement with this game.
Miyamoto: The team that’s developing Super Mario Run is actually mostly comprised of the original Super Mario development team.

nubbe

Everyone wants to play Nintendo games, but no one wants to buy them

Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing will be strong

Portugeezer

Someone literally told me they will never pay for a mobile game, they only pay for microtransactions. Most of these are just trial downloads, but still good for brand awareness and whatnot. Mario still relevant.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Does it really matter how many people downloaded a demo?

Glad the game seems to be doing well though—that top grossing spot is great. Nintendo deserves every penny IMO, I usually hate mobile games but I've been playing this one non stop.

Nintendo ooffical plan is to gain brand awarness and get revenue
we saw it already worked with GO with the push to both hw and sw sales on 3ds
40 millions people downloaded their Mario game in 4 day and many many people were exposed to it due to media coverage, helped by the record setting debuts
They are also gaining money on top of that

pantsmith

Nintendo should tweet to supercell the good game bubble while spamming the laughing king emote

Right now on the app store Mario has an enormous scrolling banner and is also featured in the "new apps we love" section. Mario Run was regularly featured with a "notify me" button for several months before the app came out. Thats just what Apple has done on the app store.

Not denying the success, but its easy to lose sight of the crazy push the app got compared to just about anything else.

Just like that time Sony admitted the PS4 bombed horribly and that they were going out of business forever, and retiring to the moon.

Sometimes I think even Sony doesn't understand Sony...

sanstesy

Right now on the app store Mario has an enormous scrolling banner and is also featured in the "new apps we love" section. Mario Run was regularly featured with a "notify me" button for several months before the app came out. Thats just what Apple has done on the app store.

Not denying the success, but its easy to lose sight of the crazy push the app got compared to just about anything else.

The reason a Mario game got a banner and others didn't is not because Super Mario Run specifically needs it. Mario is one of the biggest gaming brands in the world, Apple knows it and acts accordingly.

Business

Jesus calm down, I made an obeservation based upon my own experience. 109kr is way to expensive for a Mobile game, no matter how great you think it is. I thought the 3 levels were ok.

Who said I was proud? Why are you so angry is the real question?

"Expensive for a mobile game"...
Why is value attached to platform no matter what?

If absolutely nothing else, it's getting Nintendo back on people's minds. With 40 million downloads, that's certainly accomplished. Kudos to Nintendo for it. :)

Biske

I guess all it really took to make people love micro-transactions is Nintendo making a mobile game eh? Interesting.

Never thought I'd see the day where people would beg for shitty free to play games milking them with micro transactions.

I can't play the game on my phone because I am on android (though I'm pondering getting an ipod or something so I don't miss out on games any more) but from what I've seen and friends who have it, seems very much worth 10 dollars.

I guess all it really took to make people love micro-transactions is Nintendo making a mobile game eh? Interesting.

Never thought I'd see the day where people would beg for shitty free to play games milking them with micro transactions.

I can't play the game on my phone because I am on android (though I'm pondering getting an ipod or something so I don't miss out on games any more) but from what I've seen and friends who have it, seems very much worth 10 dollars.
I definitely will purchase it, as it looks like a high quality game and I'm a sicker for Mario, but most people on their phones aren't whale gamers and to them it looks like Nintendo are charging a ludicrous amount.

Top Bottom