• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Switch hardware overview

Dystify

Edit: For some close-up shots of the hardware click here.

Edit: Check out this video to see the excellent Switch screen in action.

Nintendo UK just released an overview of Nintendo Switch hardware features. You can find it here or below.

If there are still questions about Nintendo Switch hardware to be asked feel free to do it in this topic.

Note: Clicking on the images makes them larger.

Nintendo Switch console
CQPVPtM.png
aDb2LDH.png

• Size: 102mm x 239mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con attached)
    • Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
  • Weight: Approx. 297g (With Joy-Con controllers attached: 398g)
  • Screen: Capacitive touch screen / 6.2 inch LCD / 1280x720 resolution
  • CPU/GPU: NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
  • System memory: 32 GB (Please note: a portion of this internal memory is reserved for use by the system.)
  • Communication features: Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1 (TV mode only. A wired LAN connection is possible through the use of a commercially available wired LAN adapter.)
  • Video output: Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
    • Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
  • Audio output: Supports linear PCM 5.1ch
    • Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
  • Speakers: Stereo
  • USB terminal: USB Type-C terminal (Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.)
  • Headphone mic. jack: Stereo output
  • Game card slot: Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
  • microSD card slot: Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards.
    • Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
  • Sensors: Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
  • Operating environment: Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
  • Internal battery: Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh
    • Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, we plan to offer paid replacement via Nintendo Customer Support.
  • Battery life: Battery life can last for more than six hours, but will vary depending on the software and usage conditions.
    • For example, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can be played for roughly three hours on a single charge.
  • Charging time: 3 hours approx.
    • Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

Nintendo Switch Dock

• Size: 104mm x 173mm x 54mm
  • Weight: Approx. 327g
  • Connectors:
    • USB ports: two USB 2.0 compatible ports on the side, one on the back.
      • Launches with USB 2.0 support, but USB 3.0 support will be added in a future update.
    • System connector
    • AC adapter port
    • HDMI port

Joy-Con

• Size: 102mm x 35.9mm x 28.4mm
  • Weight: Joy-Con (L): Approx. 49g, Joy-Con (R): Approx. 52.1g
  • Buttons Joy-Con (L):
    • Left Stick (pressable)
    • Directional/L/ZL/SL/SR/− Buttons
    • Capture Button
    • Release button
    • SYNC Button
  • Buttons Joy-Con (R):
    • Right Stick (pressable)
    • A/B/X/Y/R/ZR/SL/SR/+ Buttons
    • HOME Button
    • Release Button
    • SYNC Button
  • Connectivity functions: NFC (only on Joy-Con (R)), Bluetooth 3.0
  • Sensors:
    • Accelerometer
    • Gyroscope
    • IR Motion Camera (only on Joy-Con (R))
  • Vibration function: HD rumble
    • Capable of varied and precise vibrations.
  • Internal battery: 525 mAh Li-ion battery
    • Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, we plan to offer paid replacement via Nintendo Customer Support.
  • Battery life: Approx. 20 hours
    • Please note: this time is an estimate. Actual time may vary depending on individual usage patterns.
  • Charging time: Approx. 3.5 hours
    • Please note: to charge the Joy-Con, you must attach them to a Nintendo Switch console or Joy-Con charging grip (sold separately).

Joy-Con Strap

• Size: 101mm x 14.6mm x 13.9mm
  • Weight: Approx. 18.7g

Joy-Con Grip

• Size: 101mm x 144mm x 40.1mm
  • Weight: Approx. 97g

Change the way you play with different play modes
Nintendo Switch can be played while connected to the TV as a home console, but actually there are three different play modes you can choose from, depending on the situation.

k5T6o10.jpg

TV mode
Place the Nintendo Switch console into the Nintendo Switch dock, hook up the HDMI cable to your TV, and you're ready to play games on the TV.

iqqJBEB.jpg

Tabletop mode
Prop up the stand attached to the back of the Nintendo Switch console to play games on its built-in screen. This mode is useful when you're on the go without a TV, and two people can even play together by taking control of a Joy-Con each.

pEm2tx6.jpg

Handheld mode
Attach the Joy-Con to the Nintendo Switch console and play it on the go. Play wherever you like, however you want, using the 6.2 inch screen.

HOME Menu
From the HOME Menu, you can start games and select game settings. In addition to managing friends and user accounts, you can also change your system settings here.

Main features of the HOME Menu

dKlCdy1.jpg

News
The latest news about games will be delivered to your Nintendo Switch.

ETWZ8NV.jpg

Nintendo eShop
You can purchase digital versions of games and downloadable content by accessing Nintendo eShop. You can also get more information about games by viewing commercials and promotional videos here.

q7Jlu3t.jpg

Album
Here you can view screenshots you've captured during gameplay. You can freely add text to the images and effortlessly post them to social networks.

Capture screenshots in an instant
5d6mICM.jpg

By pressing the Capture Button on Joy-Con (L), you can capture screenshots during gameplay instantly.*
Please note: you will also be able to capture video footage after a future update.

*Some games may have sections where it is not possible to capture screenshots.

Multiplayer
Ouk79jC.jpg

Link your consoles together

By connecting with other Nintendo Switch consoles, you can enjoy local multiplayer.

Connect via the internet

Go online and play with far-off friends and users all over the world via Wi-Fi. With a LAN adapter, you can connect to the internet via a wired connection when playing in TV mode.

amiibo functionality
QpTnfRO.jpg

By tapping an amiibo (sold separately) to the NFC touchpoint on Joy-Con (R), you can read or write data to the amiibo.

Says the battery can last for more than 6 hours.

Also it describes the icons in the UI: game news, e-shop, and screenshot album.

ggx2ac

Only little snippets.

Like SDXC requires a system update, and BOTW is about 3 hours on battery (which is at least slightly more impressive than 2.5).

That was known on the Japanese Nintendo site weeks ago. This is pretty much an English version of that page.

Nerazar

What does the "brightness sensor" do? Automatically adjust the sceen brightness according to local brightness levels?

Seiniyta

Does it really need USB 3.0 since it's not compatible with external hard drives?

The system is ready to accept it when Nintendo wants it to. There is no hardware limitations (when in the dock, or USB I suppose)

Wasn't the USB in the back 3.0 though?

Felensis

Banned
So what do they mean with 'TV mode only' regarding WiFi and Bluetooth? I want to use my Bluetooth Stereo Headphones while on the go :/

Xun

This should hopefully shut some people up, no?

For connecting commercially available headphones, microphones or headsets.

What does the "brightness sensor" do? Automatically adjust the sceen brightness according to local brightness levels?

Yes. This is how it works on most phones. However I always find the auto setting on such thing goes a bit too dim for my liking. Maybe Switch will get it right!

Figured here is the best place to ask. Has it been confirmed that the triggers are digital?

I don't think it's been officially confirmed, but people who have used it say it's digital. A few others have said it's analog but many more people have said digital, so assume digital.

maxcriden

Oh, we did find out for sure that triggers are digital? Same for Pro Controller?

If so, is GCN VC essentially debunked, or is there a reasonable workaround?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Takes 3 hours to fully charge on sleep mode, hmmm...

how long does the 3ds XL takes to fully charge?

It takes about 3 ½ hours to fully charge the battery pack with the power off, although this will vary depending on how much charge is left in the battery when the recharge begins. The system can be used while the battery is recharging, but this will increase recharging time.
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.../how-long-does-it-take-to-charge-the-battery?

Oh, we did find out for sure that triggers are digital? Same for Pro Controller?

If so, is GCN VC essentially debunked, or is there a reasonable workaround?

only give us games who used the analogue triggers like you can use digital ones, maybe.

So they definitely do have an audio jack supporting headsets.

Which makes it all the more likely that their online architecture is half-baked, and that's the source of the bat-shit-crazy mobile app idea.

DatAhmedz

The system is ready to accept it when Nintendo wants it to. There is no hardware limitations (when in the dock, or USB I suppose)

Wasn't the USB in the back 3.0 though?

It's on the back, but I'm confused to whether they meant that they're adding full USB 3.0 support for the back port at a later date or are releasing a different dock altogether.

It seems like the former, at least I'm hoping it is :/

bomblord1

Banned
Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards.
Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.

Did we know this yet?

Battery life can last for more than six hours, but will vary depending on the software and usage conditions.
For example, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can be played for roughly three hours on a single charge.

I think this is new as well it was 6 hours as an upper limit before. This may be very conservative estimates then.

Headphone/mic jack is super promising, Japanese documents have mentioned this but I think this is the first English one.
Indeed. I find it absurd amounts better playing any game with headphones instead of over speakers. It just gives a really engrossing feel.
Lol I was wrong

You've piqued my interest. About what?
Oh nice, I only have the OG 3DS which did not have that function. Not bad. :)
Lol, I didn't mean to come off as brash. I need to work on my wording. But yeah, it's pretty okay on n3DS but it always feels a bit *too* dim for me. Then again, I'm used to playing everything (handheld related) on max brightness.

This should hopefully shut some people up, no?

For connecting commercially available headphones, microphones or headsets.

It won't. Until people see that shit in action, there's gonna be confusion.

USB 2.0 at the start? Anyone buying this thing at launch is crazy. It's clearly not ready.

Yeah, I've gotta be crazy to not care about a USB port that I never plan to use.

external HD support makes no sense. defeats the whole switch concept.
?

Makes plenty of sense. In fact, it will likely be a must in the long run.

You could have your games stored on the HD near your dock. You'd then switch out games stored on your portable unit with the games stored on your dock, so you don't have to redownload them and you could have a more comprehensive library when you use the Switch in TV mode.

Top Bottom