• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo UK Mag PR - Capcom to reveal nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Tempy said:
Gaming magazines are at a disadvantage to the internet when it comes to major news, but here's a few things I'd admire in a magazine...

* Nice print quality
* You can still have nice never-before-seen screenshots of game in development provided by the developer/publisher
* Providing a summary of news
* Articles which provide insight into development of a game, its trials and tribulations, etc.

Random ramblings...

* Writing that does not cater to the lowest common denominator. There's nothing wrong with making your magazine attractive to read for all ages, but don't treat your readers like morons - and NO, kids are not supposed to be treated like little morons either. Treat them like that and they'll grow up to be big morons.
* "If Megaman had a fight with Viewtiful Joe, who would win?" ... Seriously now. Insightful editorials yes, kindergarten GameFAQs interviews NO.
* Nobody is saying to curb your enthusiasm, but when you say wow without explaining why you feel that way then how exactly are we supposed to get excited? There's a difference between being genuinely excited and blathering hyperbole to increase sales.

And since NoE-related peeps are looking...(and in some cases flinging poo)

* What the hell is up with you guys? ;_;
* When looking at the newsstands here in the Netherlands there might be one single official Nintendo magazine amongst the various general, ps2 and xbox mags. Some Ps2 and xbox mags even have demos or at least trailers on dvd. Is it so hard to have a dvd with trailers or even game (GCN) demos? If other mags can do it....
* All these stars from purchased Nintendo games can be used on....ringtones and wallpapers? What? I know there was a questionaire a few months ago; still waiting on whether that will mean I'll be able to spend those stars on some more.....fun stuff.
* Why must Europe get the shaft when it comes to getting games in a timely manner? Animal Crossing NGC being a notorious example (why buy the EU version for 60 euros when at the same time the US version was being sold dirt cheap for $20). The DS idly stood by without Castlevania , Kirby, Advance Wars - quality games - while PSP got released, taking up more precious store shelf space than DS titles. The main reason I import from the US? Because I don't have to wait for games to come out in Europe...if at all.

Take what Tempy said times it by 5 and Welcome to Australia!

Amir0x

Banned
Oblivion said:
I find it funny you call TP's art direction "awkward" yet praise WW in the same post. I'll give you that it might not match RE4 on a technical level (though I'd love to be proven wrong), but that's about it.

If I thought Wind Waker's art was "awkward", I would have said so. Instead, I think it was really excellent and set a certain standard that has yet to be met by any other cel-shaded game this generation. I can understand that you might not appreciate the incredibly expressive faces or the vibrant landscapes, but hey.... at least villagers don't have down syndrome.

DefectiveReject said:
yeah sure............i think it was more a case of everyone else backing out of an argument Ami wouldn't let go, as ever

I always find it amusing that the people who say this are generally the one who have to resort to "ITS MY OPINION, I LIKE IT YOU DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE" because they aren't competent enough to form viable viewpoints. Well, except 'it's a nintendo magazine from UK, and it's less shitty than another super shitty mag!' But don't let me stop you. This is all old news, no need to get into another debate.

Jonnyboy117 said:
By the way, the PGC forums are no more of a gutter than GAF, they're just not as busy. We do have excellent moderation, though. Drinky wouldn't last ten minutes. There are plenty of vindictive assholes, though, so Amir0x is always welcome.

Well, at the very least you guys can claim to be at least 2% better than the official Nintendo.com forums.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
Classic thread! Gaming journalism for the win.

By the way, the PGC forums are no more of a gutter than GAF, they're just not as busy. We do have excellent moderation, though. Drinky wouldn't last ten minutes. There are plenty of vindictive assholes, though, so Amir0x is always welcome.

IanSane = Amir0x

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Amir0x said:
Is it time for another meltdown already, GAKMAN?

Oh hush...I used to be at the PGC forums and there's a guy there that reminds me alot of you named IanSane. Just trying to back Johnnyboy up in his statement.

Amir0x

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
Oh hush...I used to be at the PGC forums and there's a guy there that reminds me alot of you named IanSane. Just trying to back Johnnyboy up in his statement.

You being an old member of PGC pretty much proves my point.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Amir0x said:
You being an old member of PGC pretty much proves my point.

Funny, I think he said something once about me being a poster at NintendoNext (aka NintendoNation, NN...where me & Windyman come from) like as if it was a bad thing.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, like I said... at best, hey, at least you're not from nintendo.com forums.

:lol :lol @ Advertisement: "Celebrity News: Paris Hilton movies. Click to see what happens next!"

Amir0x said:
100% irrelevant to this conversation.

no its not.
For one its a UK magazine which we have paid for, and have a right to bemoan.
If you have taken hold of it in ways which may be deemed to be free, then what right do you have to moan about it?

Amir0x

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
no its not.
For one its a UK magazine which we have paid for, and have a right to bemoan.
If you have taken hold of it in ways which may be deemed to be free, then what right do you have to moan about it?

The complaints have to do with the content of the magazine. This doesn't change in any situation.

Amir0x said:
The complaints have to do with the content of the magazine. This doesn't change in any situation.

It does, we paid for the magazine. You obtained it in ways which you shouldn't.
So what right do you have to bemoan the content of a magazine which you have received for free?

Amir0x

Banned
DefectiveReject said:

Would you be bitter, if I said that was the case? 'Cause I'd totally be cool with that.

DefectiveReject said:
So what right do you have to bemoan the content of a magazine which you have received for free?

Again, irrelevant. Issues with the magazine do not change in any scenario. Shitty magazine is a shitty magazine is a shitty magazine.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
DefectiveReject said:

Maybe because the viral marketter for the ragazine misled people...this pisses people off whether they paid for it or not.

Hey DrGAKMAN, did you actually work at NN, like Windy? We also hired their artist, Mike Kielas (or rather, Billy did before I took over).

And I was thinking of Ian when I made that earlier post. :lol But I love having people like him in the forums. He follows the rules, posts actively, and brings different viewpoints that spur discussion. I don't have to agree with him to appreciate that.

Amir0x

Banned
Hello! My issues have nothing to do with the hype Twilight Rockstar/PR made for the magazine. It's not their fault at all. I knew from the start we'd get no info such as "Capcom revealing a Revo game", I just expected some fresh tidbits like I get from any old magazine.

Amir0x said:
Would you be bitter, if I said that was the case? 'Cause I'd totally be cool with that.

Not at all i just now find it and your vindication of your actions highly amusing.

Again, irrelevant. Issues with the magazine do not change in any scenario. Shitty magazine is a shitty magazine is a shitty magazine.

Maybe, but now knowing you obtained in ways which you shouldn't, i know if i was Twilight, i'd more than certainly tell you where to ram the copy which you have.

DrGAKMAN said:
Maybe because the viral marketter for the ragazine misled people...this pisses people off whether they paid for it or not.
And what right does he have to moan, if he obtained it for free?

Amir0x

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Maybe, but now knowing you obtained in ways which you shouldn't, i know if i was Twilight, i'd more than certainly tell you where to ram the copy which you have.

I'm sorry, don't put words into my mouth. I just asked if you would be bitter if I did get it for free. In either scenario, like I said, it's irrelevant how I obtained it because the issues remain correct. Factual inaccuracies, hyperbole/fanboybullshit, lack of new info, etc etc... none of this is gonna change whether I paid for an 8 year subscription or got the magazine from the garbage outside of my local London pub.

Amir0x said:
I'm sorry, don't put words into my mouth. I just asked if you would be bitter if I did get it for free. In either scenario, like I said, it's irrelevant how I obtained it because the issues remain correct. Factual inaccuracies, hyperbole/fanboybullshit, lack of new info, etc etc... none of this is gonna change whether I paid for an 8 year subscription or got the magazine from the garbage outside of my local London pub.

Local London Pub? Garbage outside of?
Please move along sir, this store is for paying customers only, we don't allow loiters. :lol

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Amir0x said:
Hello! My issues have nothing to do with the hype Twilight Rockstar/PR made for the magazine. It's not their fault at all. I knew from the start we'd get no info such as "Capcom revealing a Revo game", I just expected some fresh tidbits like I get from any old magazine.

Did you know that the Revolution's stand doubled as a power supply for the system as well? Did you know that Link could battle on horseback? Did you know that CAPCOM revealed Revolution titles? You would if you had bought the hot new ONM...it's boss!

Jonnyboy117 said:
Hey DrGAKMAN, did you actually work at NN, like Windy? We also hired their artist, Mike Kielas (or rather, Billy did before I took over).

And I was thinking of Ian when I made that earlier post. But I love having people like him in the forums. He follows the rules, posts actively, and brings different viewpoints that spur discussion. I don't have to agree with him to appreciate that.

No...I was the NN forum's Amir0x or IanSane (resident opinionated know-it-all smartass if you will*)...just like the NN forums had their Drinky in the form of Mendenhall. I was a monster Nintendo fanatic back then (still am, but less vindictive/more level headed now). I think I could've quite possibly been the one who started the anti-Sony sentiment amoungst alot of N-fans. I thought about doing theorist/editorial stuff, but eh, never went for it.

*note to Amir0x & IanSane...I only call you assholes as a compliment

Amir0x

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Local London Pub? Garbage outside of?
Please move along sir, this store is for paying customers only, we don't allow loiters. :lol

You're still not making your case brother. Also, "loiterers."

DrGAKMAN said:
Did you know that Link could battle on horseback? Did you know that CAPCOM revealed Revolution titles? You would if you had bought the hot new ONM...it's boss!

I also learned a lot about Metroid Hunters for DS!

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Amir0x said:
I also learned a lot about Metroid Hunters for DS!

Lock this bitch...

...and by bitch, I mean thread, and by thread I mean topic...

...and by lock, I mean close it, and by close it I mean keep people from responding to it...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wow, totally missed the last few pages of this thread.
So in summary, no actual new information for any regulars to this forum? I gotta keep my expectations low when people start hyping stuff up.

BorkBork said:
Wow, totally missed the last few pages of this thread.
So in summary, no actual new information for any regulars to this forum? I gotta keep my expectations low when people start hyping stuff up.
The only thing of note is that they said the stand acts as a power source, which I find pretty ludicrous.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I'd just like to drop in and register my disgust with Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo UK, which is only amplified by the fact that I generally like Nintendo products:

* their magazines are shit
* their release dates for games are insulting
* their TV advertising (for both the DS and its games) is retarded
* their online "stars catalogue" is a piece of shit that only gives away irrelevant and childish rubbish like screen-savers and ringtones
* their reps don't seem to have a clue about the industry or a care in the world about how appaulingly Nintendo is represented in Europe

...I'll be back to post additions once I unlock that vault of repressed memories about Nintendo that we Europeans must develop to remain stupid enough to have stuck with Nintendo over the years.

Peru

I don't think the stupidity of Nintendo marketing in europe can be overstated for some countries. Over here (Norway) the Nintendo products-dealer is absolute crap, rubbish, and can be given 100% credit for Nintendo being 3rd in the console race, and not selling well enough in general. They do NO marketing at all. Other companies buy shelf-space, they send out posters,merch of all kinds to shop, demo stations, but NONE of that kind for nintendo. That the DS games outsell psp right now speaks volumes about the DS, because it has gotten no help whatsoever in form of marketing campaigns. Rubbish.

MrSardonic said:
I'd just like to drop in and register my disgust with Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo UK, which is only amplified by the fact that I generally like Nintendo products:

Been there done that
Drastically different than it used to be. Blame the different languages not Nintendo

At least we now get some, i see more Nintendo one's than 360 one's at the moment

* their online "stars catalogue" is a piece of shit that only gives away irrelevant and childish rubbish like screen-savers and ringtones
yeah show me Sony and Microsofts scheme

* their reps don't seem to have a clue about the industry or a care in the world about how appaulingly Nintendo is represented in Europe
Don't know but i do know that Nintendo's shop presence uin the Uk for the DS is increasing.
[/QUOTE]

MrSardonic said:

...I'll be back to post additions once I unlock that vault of repressed memories about Nintendo that we Europeans must develop to remain stupid enough to have stuck with Nintendo over the years.

Hi there, I've been working at Nintendo UK for just over a year now, and have a relatively responsible and senior role. I (and the rest of Nintendo UK) are hugely passionate about Nintendo and are with DS we think we've had major success in the UK and the rest of Euopre. I'd be interested to know your exact feedback on the following points (and anyone else who has similar feelings towards our work):

* magazines - I think this has been discussed to death already on this thread :)
* release dates - do you not think this had been improving on DS? Localisation into different languages always takes time, and we have been campaigning from a UK perspective to try and get US titles converted into British English quickly and released before the rest of Europe, but economically this doesn't make sense at the moment - perhaps when DS' UK installed base is larger and the economies of scale work....
* Advertising - what do you think is wrong with our adverts for Mario Kart, or Nintendogs? What about our sponsorship of Channel 4 comedy - is this the wrong strategy? How does it compare to the PSP advertising (instantly forgettable we think) and the Xbox360 (pure gamer advertising - no new creative ideas at all)? Research shows that Nintendo DS is far more visible in terms of media spend than any of our competiors at the moment, how could we go further in your opinion?
* stars - this isn't under my remit so I'm not an expert, but we have recently been putting games, exclusive items etc. on there at a higher frequency - what would you suggest?
* we do have a clue, and we do care, so please don't question our passion and commitment to Nintendo - your opinion means a lot to us as you are our most loyal fans, and we are trying our hardest to make DS and Revolution the successes they deserve to be - do not doubt that for one second.

Looking forward to your feedback.

SuomiDude

* stars - this isn't under my remit so I'm not an expert, but we have recently been putting games, exclusive items etc. on there at a higher frequency - what would you suggest?

This is true. There's been lots of great items available on Nintendo UK (and probably on other NoE sites as well). I remember when US people tend to say how POS NoA is with their star system compared to NoE.

I can't personally comment on the other subjetcs as I don't live in UK. What I can comment is that it's sad that there's still many European countires where the star system doesn't exist at all, so we never get any bonuses for buying games and getting those star cards (not all games even have those cards).

Amir0x said:
Oh, now I get it. You're just a shameless Nintendo Europe apologist, Reject. How unique!
No i just don't see how people seem to have a right to bemoan Nintendo all the FRICKING time yet if you bemoan any other company you're an n-bot or a troll.

I think the release schedule for both Wario Ware Twisted and Kirby Power Paintbrush are just horrible, Kirby couldn't have stood a chance launching with the big guns, yet it could have perfectly been accepted during the post launch drought.
And wario ware could use a release since the GBA release schedule has been pretty meh since the DS' release.

Otherwise, it's been improving.

Animal Crossing especially...since we don't have to wait two years for this version. :p

Xrenity

Gaybrush Threepio said:
* release dates - do you not think this had been improving on DS? Localisation into different languages always takes time, and we have been campaigning from a UK perspective to try and get US titles converted into British English quickly and released before the rest of Europe, but economically this doesn't make sense at the moment - perhaps when DS' UK installed base is larger and the economies of scale work....
We live in the time of internet, so it really wouldn't be that hard for NCL/NOA to send out a manual before the game is released. Translating doesn't take that much time (at least, if you only translate the manual).

Whole game translations shouldn't be that much of a problem either. Although my guess is NCL doesn't send their text up to NOA for translation when they're still developing.

Waku

Gaybrush Threepio said:

What i saw from the Stars Catalouge was a great start with really cool stuff like Hand Sign Windwaker and Mario Posters from Miyamoto, but over time it just trickeld out. If you want to make Stars really desierable start offering something more than just some Keychains or Desktop Themes. Is it so hard to tell NCL to send some of those

present06.jpg

or these

present08.jpg
present02.jpg

over here? Just something really substantial, like Competitions were you hand out one of these.

special_japan_hotsummer.png

I'm a big Fan of the Stars Catalouge but since it's incarnation around the Time the Cube hit shelves there were probably only 2-3 Items which were worth getting witch simple isn't enought.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nintendo needs a stronger interactive and digital marketing precense.
They are weak in this field - which is surprising, considering the fantastic ROI measuring metrix that are easily attainable, and that a vast majority of their market spends most of their time in this area.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
DefectiveReject said:
Drastically different than it used to be. Blame the different languages not Nintendo

"Blah blah, the dick isn't as far up my arse as it used to be". The fact is that it still blows, and I'm not going to accept the translation excuse - other companies manage perfectly well, I could translate an entire English game into French in the time that it takes me to play through that game. It doesn't require months and months of effort.

Gaybrush Threepio said:
magazines - I think this has been discussed to death already on this thread

Yeah, and Nintendo continue to do nothing about it

Gaybrush Threepio said:
release dates - do you not think this had been improving on DS?

I don't own a DS, but for the GC is was still pretty poor, despite Nintendo's promises to make up for the shambles of the past.

Gaybrush Threepio said:
Advertising - what do you think is wrong with our adverts for Mario Kart, or Nintendogs?

To be fair, the MarioKart adverts were not bad at all. But again, the GC advertising was appauling.

Gaybrush Threepio said:
What about our sponsorship of Channel 4 comedy - is this the wrong strategy?

Nothing wrong with this kind of sponsorship, but if you are going to do that, don't use utterly boring-looking Pacman footage to demonstrate what the console can do!

Gaybrush Threepio said:
How does it compare to the PSP advertising (instantly forgettable we think) and the Xbox360 (pure gamer advertising - no new creative ideas at all)?

I think you may be right about this tbh. But I have yet to see a DS advert for the console or game that has made me think, "oh cool, I'd like to try that". The presence of the DS in-store is also inferior to the PSP in every store I've been in, including some of the largest retailers of music and games in London.

Gaybrush Threepio said:
stars - but we have recently been putting games, exclusive items etc. on there at a higher frequency

The problem is that you put 10 up there for the whole country, and some people are camped out on the Nintendo website to scoop them up within the first 10 minutes of the items being added. To be fair, I guess you cannot necessarily do something about this...but it renders the system essential useless for most of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom