• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official North American Lost Odyssey Thread

Zzoram

Phoenix Fang said:
LO is better than FF13 in every aspect except graphics. I like the music in FF13 but LO music is just awesome.

I was going to say LO has worse dialogue because of the rugrat kids, but then I remembered Vanille and Hope. Ugh, they tie there.

Wazzim

Banned
Tears For Fears said:
People are so fucking insane. LO is the best rpg this gen. Face it, deal with it. Sakaguchi is still the fucking king.
I fully agree, LO is excellent while most other JRPGs this gen are half assed attempts.

Skilletor

I thought LO was a boring, by the numbers RPG with terrible character designs. Its sole redeeming feature was a book inserted awkwardly throughout as scrolling text. The scrolling text far outshone the shitty story the player was forced to wade through as a villain who wouldn't look out of place in some strange MC Hammer video made known his obvious villainous desires.

Also, it had two children. Fuck those kids. Annoying shits.

Slow, plodding battle system, horrible load times. Ugh.

Did enjoy the OST. Uematsu is awesome. If this were last gen, the only reason people would pay attention to the game is because of Sakaguchi's name. It would be nothing more than a middling effort, then. Unfortunately, many console owners are jrpg starved and that instantly thrusts this barely decent game into the upper echelon of what's available.

Barrett2

All I know is I played and enjoyed 40 hours of Lost Odyssey. I couldn't even make it 8 hours into FF13. So, Guch must have been doing something right.

I liked both Lost Odyssey and FFXIII, but here is something:

In LO you read well written, tear jerking, bittersweet stories in order to gain backround on the main character.

In FFXIII you read exposition to figure out what the hell is going on.

Nickiepoo

As much as I enjoyed the game, the pacing was horrible.

Still, at least it had an ending that sort of made sense unlike another recent jRPG I could mention.

Still my favorite jRPG this generation. FF13 was a struggle to finish; LO I played through twice. This and ToV are easily the best this gen has had to offer for the genre.

picko

Neo Member
I liked LO a lot more than FFXIII. I thought the battle system in FFXIII was better, although I didn't mind the relative slow pace of LO's combat. From a storytelling point of view LO was well ahead, particularly when you include the short stories. And I thought that most of the characters in LO were more memorable.

Lost Odyssey was pretty good. Nice graphics, art, and music. I also really enjoyed the battle system and the leveling system. The battles could get pretty tactical thanks to the guard bar and character placement and the leveling system was awesome because it combines class based characters and non-present characters.

I still enjoyed FFXIII more. I enjoyed the battle system a lot more and the characters were far more enjoyable than LO's cast. Still LO is pretty good.

starsky

Rahxephon91 said:
Lost Odyssey was pretty good. Nice graphics, art, and music. I also really enjoyed the battle system and the leveling system. The battles could get pretty tactical thanks to the guard bar and character placement and the leveling system was awesome because it combines class based characters and non-present characters.

I still enjoyed FFXIII more. I enjoyed the battle system a lot more and the characters were far more enjoyable than LO's cast. Still LO is pretty good.

Agreed.

I like LO for its Towns HD. It has all the traditional side quests, stores, and mini games I like from JRPG. The character designs are horrible though, I expected a great deal more from Takehiko Inoue since he's one of my favourite mangakas.

However I still like FF13 more.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think in the end i may say i enjoyed LO more than FF13. I mean FF 13 is a game you really want to love. It is much slicker, quicker paced, looks and sounds beautiful, but it totally fell on its ass with the story and core rpg mechanics other than battle.

LO was much more well-rounded as an epic RPG having the things you expect and would want from it.

Hated the loading in that game though.

I just beat FF XIII for my fourth time today and seeing this thread pop up makes me want to go through Lost Odyssey again. I love FF XIII and all, but this game is probably the best jrpg I have played this gen. Probably because it reminds me of some of my favorite RPGs of years past, and felt like a mish mash of all the things I liked in those. Well if I did do a replay (which I probably shouldn't considering my backlog) I still have that optional dungeon, some of the backyard battles, and a lot of dreams I never bothered to read.

Now I am kinda pissed this thread got bumped because now I REALLY want to play this again. I need traditional some traditional RPG goodness!

imtehman

Banned
hrmm i enjoyed both LO and ffxiii immensely but LO wins in the end because of those short stories.

damn now i want to play the game again

B.K.

I bought the game last weekend during Gamestop's buy two, get one free sale. Are there any sites that sell four disc cases for 360 games? I'd like to buy another case for it.

Lebron

If only Sakaguchi let Kiyoshi Shigematsu write the game's story too, then yes, it'd been the best JRPG of the gen. Still, it's better than anything SE has put out this gen and it's one of my favorites of the gen despite some of the shortcomings. Those stories get me every time.

Grisby

Saw this thread on the front page and just wanted to pop in for a bit.

This game is still my favorite 'next gen' JRPG. I was really hoping for a sequel but who knows if it will happen at all now, :(. Lost Odyssey just had so many positives from characters (Seth and Jansen) to the amazing Thousand Years short stories.

There were framerate drops and the pacing took a bit of a hit during the middle of the adventure but still, great game. Loved the whole immortal concept as well as the battle system. Also, I still think about how they did the closeups of your characters in the battle scenes, with them fixing their armor or swinging their swords; just a bunch of cool details.

Oh, and the end of Disc 1. Good stuff. Thats all really, if you haven't played it and like you some JRPGS, give it a shot.

I really hope someone can help me.

So I'm on disc 4. I am litterally right before Grand Staff, when you have the White Boa ship (breaks through ice). I decided hey, before I fight the last boss lets do side quests since this thing blows through ice. Bad idea and I think I broke the game.

So I did a ton of sidequests, but one of them had me get off the white boat and on the nautilus. Somehow, and I don't know how this happened, I only have the Natalis not and not the white boa!!, which means i cannot enter grand staff!! Oh god please 60 hours down the drain, I really need some help please tell me I'm not fucked.

How do I get the white boa back? What the fuck am i supposed to do? I tried going back to numara, you literally can't get back on it once its gone.

MoxManiac

Arpharmd B said:
I really hope someone can help me.

So I'm on disc 4. I am litterally right before Grand Staff, when you have the White Boa ship (breaks through ice). I decided hey, before I fight the last boss lets do side quests since this thing blows through ice. Bad idea and I think I broke the game.

So I did a ton of sidequests, but one of them had me get off the white boat and on the nautilus. Somehow, and I don't know how this happened, I only have the Natalis not and not the white boa!!, which means i cannot enter grand staff!! Oh god please 60 hours down the drain, I really need some help please tell me I'm not fucked.

How do I get the white boa back? What the fuck am i supposed to do? I tried going back to numara, you literally can't get back on it once its gone.

Whoa damn, i'm almost at that point, i'm going to make a backup save pronto.

I'm on Disc 3 at
Gohtza
. This game is pretty amazing. It's nice having a manly main character for once... and the first A Thousand Years of Dreams story did make me a bit misty-eyed. This gen really needs more RPGs like this. If they could step it up and do something better than this, I'd be really happy. I don't know about the future of Mistwalker, though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DarknessTear said:
I'm on Disc 3 at
Gohtza
. This game is pretty amazing. It's nice having a manly main character for once... and the first A Thousand Years of Dreams story did make me a bit misty-eyed. This gen really needs more RPGs like this. If they could step it up and do something better than this, I'd be really happy. I don't know about the future of Mistwalker, though.
^ Yup.. the way this gen is panning out, we're lucky to have LO. It's one of the few traditional jRPG console gems.

Levyne

Banned
fna84 said:
Finished the game tonight, the ending was awesome!

I thought it was weird that the ending didn't lead to what all foreshadowing seemed to imply it would lead to...

The immortals didn't somehow lose their immortality in the end...huh...after exposing how torturous a life it is.

That said, the ending they had wasn't bad.

0 HP

i actually really like how everything in this game is mainly fleshed out in the dream stories as opposed to the cutscenes where everything is curt and surface-value. it reminds me of the first 2 or 3 rpgs you play as a kid where most of the game comes from your imagination and reading the instruction manual. im replaying this game atm with the foreign dubs on and its a trip, especially with the great art/music.

Top Bottom