• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official November 2007 NPD Preview Thread

theBishop

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Ratchet used to be a million seller.

I fear for GTA4 on PS3.

CoD4, Assassin's and Rockband did pretty well relative to the hardware sales gap between 360 and PS3.

Not sure why the first party games are flopping except weak advertising, and a lot of them are new franchises.

theBishop said:
Not sure why the first party games are flopping except weak advertising, and a lot of them are new franchises.

As has been mentioned in other threads, the advertising for Uncharted in the UK has been horrible.

pr0cs

I've never seen anything sell like the Wii. My anecdotal experience has been crazy and I can't help but shake my head at some of the crazy stuff I've seen this shopping season thus far.
I expect the Wii numbers are going to be crazy.

The Innocent X said:
Those two games aren`t even in the same league.

PS3 GTA will do great, it just isn`t going to shift any market, since the 360 version will be the more popular.

You're thinking far too narrowly on this one.

The point, IMO, is that the PS3 has yet to have mass market compelling titles. It's absolutely the case that there are 10's of millions of folks who have yet to go "next-gen" and this title is one that will get many of them there. While it will certainly have a positive effect on both the 360 and the PS3, it will have a positive effect on the PS3. No mention is made that it will affect the competative slant (by itself), but it will be more significant for the PS3 market than the 360 market from an adoption standpoint as the 360 has already had multiple "system selling" titles (GOW, Halo 3 as the biggest).

goldenpp72

The gta titles managed 2 million on xbox 1, I imagine they will do fine on ps3, just not as good as 360.

Consider the xbox got them like 2 years later and such.

sonycowboy said:

The point, IMO, is that the PS3 has yet to have mass market compelling titles. It's absolutely the case that there are 10's of millions of folks who have yet to go "next-gen" and this title is one that will get many of them there. While it will certainly have a positive effect on both the 360 and the PS3, it will have a positive effect on the PS3. No mention is made that it will affect the competative slant (by itself), but it will be more significant for the PS3 market than the 360 market from an adoption standpoint as the 360 has already had multiple "system selling" titles (GOW, Halo 3 as the biggest).

You're much better at this than I am. That's basically what I was getting at.

Grecco

Opus Angelorum said:
So will people be happy with the hardware numbers if they come out roughly around the predictions?

Wii - 1000k
Xbox 360 - 750k
PS3 - 450k

Wii and Xbox would be fantastic if those numbers are the same

PS3 on the other hand, would be selling less than the 360 did at the same price point in November 06. Thats not so good.

Grecco said:
Wii and Xbox would be fantastic if those numbers are the same

PS3 on the other hand, would be selling less than the 360 did at the same price point in November 06. Thats not so good.

That's not exactly an accurate comparison, though. They have a SKU above that line while the 360 had one below.

The more telling and important statistics would be software performance.

theBishop

Banned
sonycowboy said:

If the financial press releases are anything to go by, MGS4, GT5P, and GTA4 are hitting within weeks of eachother.

That's a pretty strong run for PS3, and that's only the highest of the high-profile. LittleBigPlanet is expected to drop around May-July.

We'll probably see Home in that Spring window as well. Pretty huge opportunity here if Sony doesn't royally fuck it up.

What's absolutely remarkable about these estimates are the expected losers (or worse yet, ignored participants)

Need For Speed
WWE Smackdown
Tony Hawk
Rock Band
Madden
NBA Live
Pretty much most PS3 releases.

sonycowboy said:
What's absolutely remarkable about these estimates are the expected losers (or worse yet, ignored participants)

Need For Speed
WWE Smackdown
Tony Hawk
Rock Band
Madden
NBA Live

I hope that uncharted is a pleasant surprise and does better. For the rest, I care only about Rock band, and getting it to europe as fast as possible.

I think people generally underestimate the shovelware though

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
sonycowboy said:

Need For Speed
WWE Smackdown
Tony Hawk
Rock Band
Madden
NBA Live

Need for Speed is still Need for Speed. I didn't approve of it due to dislike of the demo, but I forget which game I went to pick up, but no bullshit, I saw 7 people get the 360 version of it within my 10 minutes at the store. It still has the brand power behind it.

Master Z

Mojovonio said:
Maybe.

But with the userbase what it is, is that Uncharted number ok for PS3?

Uncharted will be fine. It'll hit 1 mil eventually. It's the highest rated PS3 exclusive and the word of mouth is very positive. It'll have legs, just watch.

Master Z said:
Uncharted will be fine. It'll hit 1 mil eventually. It's the highest rated PS3 exclusive and the word of mouth is very positive. It'll have legs, just watch.

Is it even out in Europe yet?

Jesse2040

Agent Icebeezy said:
Need for Speed is still Need for Speed. I didn't approve of it due to dislike of the demo, but I forget which game I went to pick up, but no bullshit, I saw 7 people get the 360 version of it within my 10 minutes at the store. It still has the brand power behind it.

I 100% agree here, but this year, those titles are simply not "interesting". Even though NFS will probably end up in the top 10 for sales again this year, top 5 for multi-platform titles.

It is also the #1 selling game in Europe right now.

- Jesse Divnich
Analyst

Saitou

Banned
Jesse2040 said:
I 100% agree here, but this year, those titles are simply not "interesting". Even though NFS will probably end up in the top 10 for sales again this year, top 5 for multi-platform titles.

It is also the #1 selling game in Europe right now.

- Jesse Divnich
Analyst
Oh snap.

So what qualifies as an 'interesting' game, then? Games taht won't figure in the topten chart, like Uncharted?
man that was a bad pun

Master Z

AdmiralViscen said:
If PS3 really can't get out of the low 400ks it's got some huge problems.

Huh? Considering it's up against the Wii phenom and the cheaper X360 which is perceived to have better games I'd say that's pretty good for PS3.

Agent Icebeezy

AdmiralViscen said:
If PS3 really can't get out of the low 400ks it's got some huge problems.

I wonder if PS2 will start outselling 360 again next year.

You know, it seems like a no brainer to send the PS2 to $99, but I think that just hurts Sony all over again. They need people to forget about the PS2 and gradually warm to the PS3. That's why when I see games like the upcoming Twisted Metal going to the PS2 and not PS3, and I just scratch my head like what exactly are they doing.

Master Z said:
Huh? Considering it's up against the Wii phenom and the cheaper X360 which is perceived to have better games I'd say that's pretty good for PS3.

Most people that are Wii only has probably never even considered a 360 or PS3. The PS3's performance will be judged in accordance to how they do compared to the 360. In my opinion of course.

donny2112

sonycowboy said:

Need For Speed
WWE Smackdown
Tony Hawk
Rock Band
Madden
NBA Live

Madden will be huge in December. It sold well over 1 million combined last year, and I see no reason it won't this year. With the limited number of slots for predicting, though, it forces out "older" games despite them probably being big sellers. Wii Play is in the same situation.

Agent Icebeezy said:
That's why when I see games like the upcoming Twisted Metal going to the PS2 and not PS3, and I just scratch my head like what exactly are they doing.

Releasing God of War 2 for the PS2 was a fatal mistake, it prolonged the life of the PS2 by at least a year. Sony need to focus.

I know many people lambasted Microsoft over the way they ditched support for the Xbox, but in regards to the success of the Xbox 360 it was absolutely the best decision they made.

Master Z said:

Then 360's November last year was fucking outstanding.

Except no one was saying that last year.

orio7

Banned
GTA is fucked this generation and not only the PS3 version.

The main PS2 GTAs did 11-13 million each on just PS2.

GTA4 won't do 1/3 of that even when combining both versions.

At my Best Buy last week:

12-06-07_1837_edited.jpg

orio7

Banned
siamesedreamer said:

12-06-07_1837_edited.jpg

What's the point of showing that without a picture showing how it looks today? Maybe they just got a big shipment in when you took that picture?
Yeah right lol

Opus Angelorum said:
I bet whomever stacked that so neatly is pissed that one person spoilt the look.

Anyone who's ever worked retail can confirm that hell yes that person was totally pissed.

orio7 said:
What's the point of showing that without a picture showing how it looks today? Maybe they just got a big shipment in when you took that picture?
Yeah right lol

On a smaller scale, I saw Rock band in the same situation at EB 30 Rock.

orio7 said:

Sure it will. It will be monstrous on the 360 in the US and monstrous on both consoles in Europe.

We'll see where it's LTD will land but if Gears can do 5M WW, GTA sure as hell can.

Agent Icebeezy

AdmiralViscen said:
Then 360's November last year was fucking outstanding.

Except no one was saying that last year.

Yeah, the 511k that the 360 did would have to be considered as such in my opinion.

goldenpp72

the ps3 not breaking 500k would be a failure in my eyes, it has had numerous 'big' releases, yet another price drop and a SHIT LOAD of marketing, I seriously have seen a ps3 ad every other ad lately, mostly ratchet, uncharted, and the general one that has I think gran turismo and the other 1st party titles. One even had mgs4 in it.

The only 360 ad i've seen lately was in theatres and it was that crappy air dropping 360s one. wii has also had strong advertising.

siamesedreamer said:
Whoever stacked those needs to never build a wall... ever! When I was working in retail I'd have had my ass kicked if I had done that mostly because some asshole would have seen how it was stacked, pulled the whole lot down on themselves and sued us into oblivion. :lol

On topic. Anything under 550k PS3 would be terrible given the recent price drops, new model and games released.

Master Z

Agent Icebeezy said:
Most people that are Wii only has probably never even considered a 360 or PS3. The PS3's performance will be judged in accordance to how they do compared to the 360. In my opinion of course.

Tell that to the media outlets that report on this stuff. When they talk videogame sales all you hear about is how the Wii and DS are dominating the industry. Videogames are videogames, hardcore or casual it doesn't matter, the media reports that Nintendo is king in this industry right now and the 360 and PS3's performance is being judged in accordance to how they do compared to the Wii.

I still remember last year when everyone (sometimes including myself) was comparing every bit of 360 sales data against PS2's to call it underwhelming. Nowadays PS3 can undertrack 360 and GameCube and still get the thumbs up from some people. At least it's doing well in Europe.

The question is, why can't PS3 gain traction in the US? There are supposed to be 30 million people anticipating one, it's received two price cuts and a respectable lineup for a non 360 owner. And it's the holiday season where price doesn't matter so much. Shouldn't this month have been a powder keg for PS3, not just a "less than 360 last year but that's ok relative to competition" thing?

I think the problem is that 360 ate up all the $400 console prospective buyers. And I think it's going to be a recurring problem at every price point Sony hits. I think removing BC was a big blunder too.

jarrod

Banned
orio7 said:

I bet it'll do half that 1st month alone actually (though mostly on 360). Lifetime it may approach the PS2 versions too... honestly, I think it's going to be a huge sales driver for 360 Arcade and PS3 40GB paks too.

Halo 3 shows that even without a gigantic base, massive brand releases can still burst into 5m+ territory this gen.

Culex

Banned
I think the biggest problem with the PS3 in America right now is that the mindshare is like a self-fulfilling prophecy (Ala Gamecube). People expect it to not be the leader anymore, hence no one is bothering to purchase one in contrast to the competition.

Agent Icebeezy

Master Z said:
Tell that to the media outlets that report on this stuff. When they talk videogame sales all you hear about is how the Wii and DS are dominating the industry. Videogames are videogames, hardcore or casual it doesn't matter, the media reports that Nintendo is king in this industry right now and the 360 and PS3's performance is being judged in accordance to how they do compared to the Wii.

The hardware tally is only one part of the story. Software is more telling though and that is what these news articles neglect to tell.

Top Bottom