• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Okami Wii Thread of IGN Watermarks

Yaweee

DeaconKnowledge said:
Sounds a bit like TP. (Though I wouldn't call the town section at the beginning "horrifically boring", it stretched on for far longer than I wanted.)

I'm torn on this game. I hear a lot of complaints about fetch quests and too much dialog, but the game looks spectacular otherwise.

It really is worth playing, but you can save some money and get the PS2 version. I'm sorry, but I've had enough indiscriminate wiggle=attack to last me a life time.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I have played it, and it's not that great. Basically, it's Zelda but with extremely short dungeons populated with puzzles that you're immediately given the answers to, and where if you get anywhere near an enemy grunt while exploring, you're sealed into a small ring and forced to fight a bunch of them. And I hope you like annoying Banjo gibberish playing over too-slow-even-when-buttons-are-pressed text boxes!

I'm really kind of confounded that the overhype is still so persistent, we had a "what game do you think is overrated/what game most disappointed you?" type of thread here fairly recently and Okami was mentioned a ton. And it's not liked it's a game anyone's predisposed to hate, either; I'd wager nearly everyone that played went in wanting to like it.

Yaweee

I think of it as Zelda with more emphasis on overworld, and less on dungeons. The overworld is one of my favorites, and will be on my short list when I create a "Best Overworlds Ever" thread.

And fuck you, Firefox, for telling 'overworld' is not a word. It is, it is, it is, just like 'dialogue'.

---------------

Best innovation ever? Accumulative running speed. Amaterasu speeds up as he runs without stopping. It's like faster than Epona, but you have it from the beginning of the game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Shig said:
I have played it, and it's not that great. Basically, it's Zelda but with extremely short dungeons populated with puzzles that you're immediately given the answers to, and where if you get anywhere near an enemy grunt while exploring, you're sealed into a small ring and forced to fight a bunch of them. And I hope you like annoying Banjo gibberish playing over too-slow-even-when-buttons-are-pressed text boxes!

I'm really kind of confounded that the overhype is still so persistent, we had a "what game do you think is overrated/what game most disappointed you?" type of thread here fairly recently and Okami was mentioned a ton. And it's not liked it's a game anyone's predisposed to hate, either; I'd wager nearly everyone that played went in wanting to like it.

Pretty much. I'll probably double-dip just to support their decision to give a game like this a second shot, but in my opinion, the game didn't even deserve the first shot I gave it. Got about 30 hours into it before I realized how much of an illusion the presentation is. It does a nice job initially covering up just how me-to and soulless the game really is. There just aren't enough games in this genre, IMHO, but this did not turn out to be one of the good ones.

Yaweee

Mejilan said:
Pretty much. I'll probably double-dip just to support their decision to give a game like this a second shot, but in my opinion, the game didn't even deserve the first shot I gave it. Got about 30 hours into it before I realized how much of an illusion the presentation is. It does a nice job initially covering up just how me-to and soulless the game really is. There just aren't enough games in this genre, IMHO, but this did not turn out to be one of the good ones.

The last boss battle is certainly one of the games' highlights. If you're that close to the end, just finish it.

Man oh man, I'm probably going to pass on this. Loved it on PS2 (I still have it on my shelf and I only keep games I really, really enjoyed), but over the next few months, I can't really devote 40+ hours to play something unless it's something new. I played RE4 again on Wii but that's also because I thought RE4 >>> Okami.

Those screens look AMAZING though. Who knows, maybe it'll be an impulse buy...

Mejilan

cpro said:
The last boss battle is certainly one of the games' highlights. If you're that close to the end, just finish it.

I don't think I'm all that close, actually. I wasted tons of time doing useless shit like finding beads or treasures I never needed to sell because I never actually needed the cash.

Yaweee

Mejilan said:
I don't think I'm all that close, actually. I wasted tons of time doing useless shit like finding beads or treasures I never needed to sell because I never actually needed the cash.

Oh, you'll need the cash, just so you can piss and shit on enemies.

Honestly, there are a lot of skills and items that require boatloads of money.

Once again guys, sorry about the issues with the screens and all.

I've given the OP a bit of a make-over and fixed everything up.

Mejilan

Two thumbs up on the OP reboot. Looks much nicer now. Damn, this game has a powerfully awesome presentation.

Monocle

Bought it day one, played it, loved it.
The PS2 version, that is.
Okami is a masterpiece not to be missed, regardless of platform.

AniHawk said:
Okami's pretty overrated, especially by everyone in gaming.
2077ped.gif

Hm... I dunno. This version for 40 bucks, or the PS2 version (to be played on the PS3) for only $30. Anyone want to convince me to go in either direction?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
stop whining, bitches, and go buy the game!
when it comes out

that will cleanse your soul from all that trash of games you buy in shovels every year. until your next generic fps #4e10.

AniHawk

Shig said:

Sounds about right. The frequent and long load times bothered me to no end too. I can stand frequent load times as long as they're short (such as with games like TWW), and I can stand long load times as long as they're infrequent (like with GTASA), but mix the two together and oh man oh man.

I can't remember the exact event anymore, but you had to do something like water a plant or save bunnies or something, and it takes you to a loading screen, then it shows you the animation, then it takes you to another loading screen to take you back to the game. Holy fuck is it annoying.

AniHawk said:
I can't remember the exact event anymore, but you had to do something like water a plant or save bunnies or something, and it takes you to a loading screen, then it shows you the animation, then it takes you to another loading screen to take you back to the game. Holy fuck is it annoying.

Yes. Every time you feed an animal, it loads a separate environment for the feeding animation to take place in, which is always the same and not interesting, so I would quit out as soon it loaded, and then it would have to reload the main environment. That is some piss-poor game design. What the hell were the creators thinking? Were they even thinking?

My biggest problem with Okami was it's battle system. I can't believe that came from Kamiya. Plus the fact you ended up in a closed-off arena...

However, with that said, I loved Okami quite a bit, and I plan on supporting this version, just as I did for PS2.

I still don't understand how they managed to make a worse combat system than Zelda though...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
leroy hacker said:
Yes. Every time you feed an animal, it loads a separate environment for the feeding animation to take place in, which is always the same and not interesting, so I would quit out as soon it loaded, and then it would have to reload the main environment. That is some piss-poor game design. What the hell were the creators thinking? Were they even thinking?

At one time they realized this and added the stupid button mashing minigame to make the loadtimes 'fun', but the damage was done
Would it have been imossible to fix this in the Wii version? I don't know. I do know that load time + framerate fixes would've helped to attract people who've played the game before

Yaweee

leroy hacker said:

I don't recall load times surrounding the animal feedings, just the ones when changing areas. Yeah, the load times can be bad, but they're a minigame that allows you get extra demon fangs.

I don't get these people complaining about framerate problems. I just played through the game, and the only two parts with slowdown were when I rotated the camera from a high up spot above either the first Plains area or the Mountain pass.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Okami is an amazing game and I approve of this thread.

My only real gripe aside from the overall lack of difficulty is the slow beginning, but at least it's not as slow as Twilight Princess' beginning.

Darunia said:
At one time they realized this and added the stupid button mashing minigame to make the loadtimes 'fun', but the damage was done
Would it have been imossible to fix this in the Wii version? I don't know. I do know that load time + framerate fixes would've helped to attract people who've played the game before

There probably isn't much that could be done about the loading between areas, but the loading for animal feeding could be fixed simply by removing the separate feeding animation screen. To have it was a terrible design decision that could be easily undone. Of course then we'd have people claiming the Wii version was compromised and flawed, since Okami is such a perfect and sacred game.

Dragona Akehi said:
My biggest problem with Okami was it's battle system. I can't believe that came from Kamiya. Plus the fact you ended up in a closed-off arena...
I still don't understand how they managed to make a worse combat system than Zelda though...

That post isn't going to make the Kamiya fanboys happy. But I agree.

Phthisis

cpro said:
I don't recall load times surrounding the animal feedings, just the ones when changing areas. Yeah, the load times can be bad, but they're a minigame that allows you get extra demon fangs.

Those are gone in the Wii version, by the way. Stupid decision.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
cpro said:

I don't get these people complaining about framerate problems. I just played through the game, and the only two parts with slowdown were when I rotated the camera from a high up spot above either the first Plains area or the Mountain pass.

Feeding load times were there, 100% sure. The minigame gets useless once you get a plethora of demon fangs from battling alone.

I had frequent slowdowns. Lots in open areas.

ethelred

Okami is an awesome game. It's got some flaws -- the dungeons and bosses aren't quite as good as in Zelda games. But the sense of exploration is top notch (and this is always a key thing for me in adventure games), and as I've said before, it spanks Zelda senseless artistically, musically, and narratively.

I've no problems buying it again. Hopefully this version will be good.

daemonic

Banned
I bought if for PS2 right before it was announced for Wii and have yet to play it (running a huge backlog). Now I don't know what to do.

AniHawk

Dragona Akehi said:

However, with that said, I loved Okami quite a bit, and I plan on supporting this version, just as I did for PS2.

Kamiya's not the guy to go to for an action/adventure game, clearly. He knows how to do action (see DMC), and he can do brawling competently enough (see VJ), but for whatever reason, he tries shoehorning elements he fits into every game (combo system, RPG-leveling up), and it simply doesn't work.

Duderz

Banned
I don't know what's more overrated, this or Beyond Good and Evil.

Wait, yes I do, because Okami has some semblance of actual fun.

Yaweee

Duderz said:
I don't know what's more overrated, this or Beyond Good and Evil.

Wait, yes I do, because Okami has some semblance of actual fun.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person un-enthused about BGE. Fantastic Beginning and Ending filled with run-of-the-mill action-adventure, + a retarded point-of-no-return.

AniHawk said:
Kamiya's not the guy to go to for an action/adventure game, clearly. He knows how to do action (see DMC), and he can do brawling competently enough (see VJ), but for whatever reason, he tries shoehorning elements he fits into every game (combo system, RPG-leveling up), and it simply doesn't work.

He got everything else right, for the most part, and Okami would have been amazing with a DMC/VJ-lite style combat. Even with the arenas.

Icarus

Been waiting for this a long time. $40 is even less than normal game pricing. Full of win... I'll definitely posting some impressions when I pick it up Tuesday (or Wednesday if my GameStop is slow).

Innotech

Banned
BeeDog said:
Fucking A. Wii gamers, buy this fucking game and love it, LOOOOVE IT. I bought a PS2 copy, and did my part then; now do your part.

uncle-sam.jpg
youre not doing your part. I bought it on Ps2 AND preordered it on Wii.
DO YOUR PART.

D-X said:
This is on my pickup list - what's the EU release date again?

According to Wiki it's April 15, but according to some other sites it's either June or July. So basically, i have no idea.

If anyone could confirm the European release date, that would be great!

Dascu

_Alkaline_ said:
According to Wiki it's April 15, but according to some other sites it's either June or July. So basically, i have no idea.

If anyone could confirm the European release date, that would be great!
Belgian game store chain GameMania has it set for June 6.

ivysaur12

Banned
I became immensely bored with Okami about half-way through the game. I don't know, I really wanted to like the game a lot, but I just couldn't.

The whole premise is very interesting. I will pick it up because if I believe half (even 1/4) of the hype, it will be very fun.

Ironballs

I bought this game day 1 on PS2. Never finished it due to all the Next Gen/ Twilight Princess hoopla.

Will be picking this up again and finally playing through it because of 480p, Widescreen, and IR.

Top Bottom