• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Okami Wii Thread of IGN Watermarks

Blizzje

I would be extremely interested in hearing if the game works on European Wii Consoles with the freeloader. Haven't played the PS2 version yet and I'm looking for a new wii game to add to my collection, with no intention of waiting for the EU version..

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I love the PS2 version and I'm pretty satisfied with it. What I read about the Wii version differences didn't appeal to me, but I'll subscribe to this thread to read the impressions anyway. I just hope retarded opinions are kept to a minimum in here than in the usual Okami threads on GAF.

A couple of new reviews. Both mention some control issues but say the overall experience is very much intact.

GameTap Review

However, while a few minor things may have been lost in the port, I’d argue that ultimately this is a more important game for the Wii than it was for the PS2. The Wii’s unofficial designation as the console for everyone has meant that a lot of the games developed for the system are quick-hit multiplayer experiences; as a result, there aren’t a whole lot of deep single-player games available. Okami helps fill that void, and hopefully other publishers will be encouraged to make more games that do the same.

9/10

1UP

The gorgeous sumi-e Japanese watercolor world thankfully makes the translation intact, though. It looks more brilliant than ever in 480p and true 16:9 widescreen, which makes the rolling vistas all the more beautiful. As if the narrative weren't motivation enough, the unique art style will perpetually push you onward to the next area, just to see what it looks like. Every corner of the world feels novel; each of the game's bulbous bosses and plentiful basic enemy types revel in their own unique visual designs, introducing new aesthetic palettes and environments right up to the end. The papery-looking graphical filter is toned down to accommodate the Wii hardware, but it wasn't something I noticed until I was told about it (and even then, it wasn't a big deal)...For younger Twilight Princess fans, this is your true coming-of-age adventure...and for older gamers free of nostalgia's shackles, Okami provides a far more refreshing, creatively stimulating journey.

A

Vagabundo

Pricing was the key here. This is a port and Mario Kart is €50. Okami Wii should have been €30. Bad move Capcom, hope it works out for you.

Twig

Banned
Vagabundo said:
Pricing was the key here. This is a port and Mario Kart is €50. Okami Wii should have been €30. Bad move Capcom, hope it works out for you.
Bleh.

Fuck that.

Developers shouldn't have to be afraid to price something at $40. There are more than two price points in this world.

TheOneGuy said:
Bleh.

Fuck that.

Developers shouldn't have to be afraid to price something at $40. There are more than two price points in this world.

I think $40 is a very fair price. After all, its not like the game was previous avaliable on Gamecube or anything. It's the first time it's on a Nintendo system and its at a cheaper price. I think it's fine.

Scrubking

Vagabundo said:

It's not going to work out for them. At $30 they might have at least attracted some of the people who bought the PS2 version into a repurchase.

$40 for a port of a PS2 game with no new content that failed its first time around is a RIPOFF. Capcom knows this and they are just trying to take advantage of the Wii audience.

Yaweee

Scrubking said:
It's not going to work out for them. At $30 they might have at least attracted some of the people who bought the PS2 version into a repurchase.

$40 for a port of a PS2 game with no new content that failed its first time around is a RIPOFF. Capcom knows this and they are just trying to take advantage of the Wii audience.

Did Okami really -fail-? It sold half a million copies, I thought, but it wasn't the megahit they had hoped. $40 is how much new copies of PS2 Okami go for, right?

Oh, and I can't believe they mapped attack to 'waggle'. What other games have done such a vile thing, aside from Zelda and Mario?

Twig

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I think $40 is a very fair price. After all, its not like the game was previous avaliable on Gamecube or anything. It's the first time it's on a Nintendo system and its at a cheaper price. I think it's fine.
Yes, that's what I said. Reread my post.

I was disagreeing with what's-his-face, who complained about the $40 price point. Developers shouldn't have to be afraid of pricing something at $40 just because there are $30 games out there. And Okami is worth $40.

Hell, Okami is worth $50. And this version has 480p, widescreen, etc. Cry cry cry, that's all anyone does.

CTLance

Hmmm, import for 30€ including shipping or wait for the EU release and pay 50€ months later... decisions, decisions.

crispyben

CTLance said:
Hmmm, import for 30€ including shipping or wait for the EU release and pay 50€ months later... decisions, decisions.
Indeed. There's no reasons it shouldn't be Freeloader-compatible...

Vagabundo

TheOneGuy said:

I was disagreeing with what's-his-face, who complained about the $40 price point. Developers shouldn't have to be afraid of pricing something at $40 just because there are $30 games out there. And Okami is worth $40.

Hell, Okami is worth $50. And this version has 480p, widescreen, etc. Cry cry cry, that's all anyone does.

I was complaining about a €50 price, for a (pretty much, straight) port from the PS2. I'm interested in it and would pay €30, even €40, but €50 is a stretch too far at the moment. I'm not even sure if it is a game I would enjoy.

I'll wait for a deal in the summer maybe. Capcom probably believe that it would not sell significantly more at €30 and so the extra 20 quid will make up for those lost sales.

Twig

Banned
Vagabundo said:
I was complaining about a €50 price, for a (pretty much, straight) port from the PS2.
Oops, my apologies. I thought you were complaining about the $40 price point in a roundabout way. That'll teach me to look at currency symbols!

szaromir

Banned
So is there anything new added to the game? I bought it for PS2 and while it was charming in the beginning, it didn't have enough variety/story/fun or whatever to keep me until the very end (I finished Part 2 and never got back after that). It's a game that I've played and it's far from the best IMO.

Vagabundo

TheOneGuy said:
Oops, my apologies. I thought you were complaining about the $40 price point in a roundabout way. That'll teach me to look at currency symbols!

:D and for the record I do believe that the game is probably worth €50 from the reviews, but I'm not sure it is my type of game. I am hoping it does sell well and it could be a perfect fit on the Wii, but I have a bad feeling about this launch.

TheOneGuy said:

Sorry! I was actually agreeing with you! That's why I quoted you.

szaromir said:
So is there anything new added to the game? I bought it for PS2 and while it was charming in the beginning, it didn't have enough variety/story/fun or whatever to keep me until the very end (I finished Part 2 and never got back after that). It's a game that I've played and it's far from the best IMO.

There's no new content. What is new is skippable cutscenes, 480p widescreen, and the wii controls.

EDarkness

So people got their copies today. I won't be getting my copy for a few weeks (ordered from Play Asia and they take forever to ship to Japan for some reason). Interested in hearing what people think now that they have the game. I've read some things on another forum and people really enjoy it and like the controls.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Stolen from my post in the Wii vs. PS2 thread.

Mejilan said:
Alright, I've put about an hour into it, and so far I'm torn. The presentation is as amazing as ever, but the graphics look pretty damn rough to my eyes. I wasn't brilliantly impressed with the execution on the PS2, but I haven't played that version since it came out, so maybe I just remembered it being prettier than it really is. I'm running the game via component, on the same 480i 4:3 SDTV as I did when I was playing it on the PS2 (also via component). I've seen the comparisons between the PS2 and Wii versions, and the blur filter is definitely in and visible. The effect looks intact. Framerate seems to hitch more than before, and even slowdown occasionally! I could be wrong on that last part. I need to play more.

I'm guessing that Ready at Dawn figured that at least a few of us would be double-dippers, and so they mercifully allow us to skip each and every cutscene, individually. But it seems like we still can't speed up the text, and it's still as frustratingly slow as ever. It doesn't help that the gobbledeegook speech effects are as bad as before. At least for the opening narration.

As to the controls... I have a problem. I'm one of the rare fools that preferred the controls in the Wii version of Twilight Princess over the GCN game (and I bought both!) A large part of what made that work was the surprisingly excellent automated camera and the much, much improved archery. It was enough of an improvement that for the first time in a 3D Zelda game, I had felt that the bow and arrow was a viable weapon, and not just a puzzle-solving tool. I felt that the waggle was inoffensive enough to not offset the archery gains.

That said, maybe I just don't recall how the weapons work in Okami, but I can't seem to pull off any combos with the default weapon. I waggle, and maybe I get one hit, but maybe I don't. And I can't chain at all. This was NEVER an issue at any point in the 80+ hours I put into TP. I know different weapons for Amaterasu later on allow different chaining opportunities. But didn't even the first one allow at least a basic 3-hit combo? What the hell? If it's not the weapon, then it must be the controls.

TP's archery is this game's painting. So the painting feels WAY better now than it did on the PS2. But one thing I'm not digging is the camera. It doesn't feel like they changed the camera at all, and the Wii-mote's top-size dpad is merely a servicable replacement for a second (camera) analog stick. It's not particularly comfortable... and it's digital. I would NOT want to play the GCN version of TP without a second analog stick... and the same is true here. The Wii version of TP had an adjusted camera that worked really well most of the time. Something of that sort should have been attempted here.

I put 30 hours into the original Okami before getting bored of the adventure and turned off by all of the game's little problems, which kept on mounting the longer I played. I'm shutting the game off for now, and I'll return to it tomorrow, but if I'm already this annoyed with the Wii version, I'll have to give this one a pass, put it back on the shelf, and give the nod to the PS2 game as the "definitive" version. Which is a shame, because I was hoping to finally be inspired enough to finish this game. We'll see.

Edit - The 9.5 stamp on the box is fucking lame. And to make it lamer, it was actually covered up by a same-sized sticker on the wrapping seal. I was happy to see that sticker go when I unsealed the game, but once that stamp on the box was unveiled, I could only stare, aghast.

Edit 2 - My recollection may be flawed, but I'm pretty damn sure that the load times are significantly diminished, especially when saving the game!

zbarron

TheOneGuy said:
Bleh.

Fuck that.

Yeah. And whatever happened to $20 new games?

I bought my copy today. The stickers on the box are good in theory since they differentiate this game from all the other crappy Wii games without having to say it's made by Nintendo. Yet it's going to be really annoying removing it from the box. A single sticker on the wrapping would have sufficed.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
What the hell.

I'm stuck at the powerslash training portion. Been trying to draw a straight horizontal line through the rock for the past 10 minutes, no luck. Is there a trick to it? This is seriously pissing me off.

just picked up my copy

so...yeah....remind me to thank Capcom for that fucking permanent "Play Magazine - 9.5 outta 10" on the box art (>___<)
....seriously...WTF

EDarkness

BorkBork said:
What the hell.

I'm stuck at the powerslash training portion. Been trying to draw a straight horizontal line through the rock for the past 10 minutes, no luck. Is there a trick to it? This is seriously pissing me off.

You need to hold the Z button to draw a straight line apparently.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Yeah had to look up the message board at GameFAQ (shudder) to figure that out. Stupid thing to implement without explaining it in game. Took the enjoyment right out of my first session too, now I'm too pissed off to play anymore.

Mejilan

Haha, you're pissed off with the game too now? That's two of us!

BorkBork said:
What the hell.

I do it quickly and it works. You do not need to hold Z as well. But if it helps, go for it.

EDarkness

BorkBork said:
Yeah had to look up the message board at GameFAQ (shudder) to figure that out. Stupid thing to implement without explaining it in game. Took the enjoyment right out of my first session too, now I'm too pissed off to play anymore.

I think they expect people to read the manual in this case. An old school way of doing it, though.... Heh, heh.

Mejilan

Feels that way to me, and I had Okami INSTALLED on my PS2, I wasn't running it off the disc. I'm pretty damn sure that getting into and out of the save menu is faster, in any event. But it's been well over a year since I played the PS2 version.

sammy

I made it a good hour and a half into the game last night, and so far it's looking like i'll see it all the way through finally (only made it 25 hours in on the PS2 version, before my interests were placed on other matters)

The waggle works so far, but i haven't obtained any new weapons or combos so i'll reserve my judgment. But if TP wasn't a bother, this sure isn't either. each fight has been effortless. The brush is simply amazing and allows you to make broad gestures for symbols all over the screen. What was cumbersome on the PS2 now feels entirely created for Wii. The Wii remote lends itself well to feeling like a large brush, i think those of us that are familiar with sume brushes should be very charmed by how tactile it is now. Again, you'll be using the remote for huge drawings all over the screen rather than little tedious analogue noodles.

I didn't like the paper filter on the PS2 version. i felt it was far to opaque, and looked too much like a uniform homogeneous wax coating rather than rice-paper. it's MUCH more transparent on the Wii and finer in detail, so the world is more vibrant and suited for 480p.

And Widescreen is a blessing. Okamin PS2 needed this option in the worst way. I'm really happy they got it working well.

VAIL

Got it yesterday and put about 3.5 hours in. The color in the Wii version is fantastic, it just pop's out at you. Control seems fine so far, drawing a straight line I found speed is key for me at least, a quick motion and it works. I am loving it so far.

dfi

I got the game the other day and played for about 5 hours so far. My opinion is that the motion controls and IR aren't that great. On paper it would seem like it would be much better than a joystick, but in practice its not very good.

And I'm NOT a wii basher, I actually LOVED the controls on ssx blur and thought they were really well done, I also enjoyed the waggle in zelda: tp, but I'm not feeling it for okami. The problem is that I don't think ready at dawn spent enough time getting the gesture recognition down.

In the 5 hours that I played, there were quite a few instances where I would draw a brush stroke and it wouldn't get recognized. There is one sequence where you are suppose to draw 5 circles a row and if you don't do it correctly the first time, it goes back to the beginning, and you have to endure a whole series of text sequences that you can't skip. It took me about 5 to 6 tries to finish that. Very annoying.

There is also a combo attack that you can buy where you can string together a series of attacks, I probably tried that 20 times and couldn't get it to work reliably most of the time. I tried to slow down, speed up, etc, but still couldn't get it to work consistently. I probably could do the combo maybe 5 out of the 20 times.

Even just doing a "power slash" isn't 100% reliable. And yes I know about using Z to draw a straight line. The problem with using Z is that sometimes you want to draw a horizontal straight line and if you don't move the wiimote perfectly horizontal, it draws an angled straight line.

I mean the game is still great fun and the graphics are awesome, but my initial feeling is that ready at dawn could have spent more time polishing the controls.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I've been playing this game for 40 minutes and got turned off. The first 20 minutes where all cut scenes. That's a rediculous amount of time just to be telling the story. The last 20 minutes, I've been running around it what appears to be the over-world/hub and don't have a clue to what the heck I'm supposed to be doing. So far there's some fruit hanging from a tree that I can't reach and a river of stars that I can't get across. If this is any indication of what the entire game is like, I'm thinking I should return the game. I don't dislike the idea of exploration or figuring things out, but I expect some general idea of what I should be doing. Also if the game contains this much narration, I don't think I'll like it. Being a Zelda fan I thought I would like this, but so far it hasn't impressed me. What should I do GAF?

Okay,

So I started playing this last night and during the intro.....I FELL ASLEEP! :lol
...but joking aside, I actually fell asleep because I was pretty tired and didn't start playing till like 12am (was busy playing GT5:prologue)....not to mention the game itself is rather soothing.
Because of that, I didn't wanna try to get into while I was tired so I just started it up again this morning:

+ Motion based attacks ....I like 'em!!! Why? ...dunno. Prolly because it almost rhythm based as far as combos go, so I haven't had any problems doing them.

+ Celestial Brush implentation....WOW! I immediately took to it and now couldn't have ever imagined it with analog control....I mean, it's kinda like Bully Wii Vs 360, in that, sure the Biology classes are functional with the analog controls in the 360 version, but they're just that...functional. On Wii, it really just feels so natural and effortless. Granted I haven't got very far into the game, but I'm really lovin' it right now

+ Visually....another resounding WOW! ...I've seen alotta footage of the PS2 version and I really do still prefer the more saturated color palette of the Wii version. I'm sure there are some missing effects that have been noticed by others, but because I never extensively played the PS2 release, it doesn't really matter to me.
Oh and one more thing....I actually prefer playing this in it's original 4:3 aspect ratio....It was the same way for Bully (though Bully actually just cropped a faux 16:9 image). The game just looks better to me in it's originally designed aspect ratio. Not to mention, I immediately noticed some assests are not actually anamorphic 16:9....like some splash screens, the pre-rendered Intro sequence, etc....The game just wasn't designed from the get go to run in widescreen, so while I really appreciate RaD putting it in there....I'm still probably gonna just play through it in 4:3 :D

- There are none for me thus far....though yeah, the intro is pretty lengthy and I can certainly see the criticisms agaisnt it :lol

RedCrake

MadOdorMachine said:
I've been playing this game for 40 minutes and got turned off. The first 20 minutes where all cut scenes. That's a rediculous amount of time just to be telling the story. The last 20 minutes, I've been running around it what appears to be the over-world/hub and don't have a clue to what the heck I'm supposed to be doing. So far there's some fruit hanging from a tree that I can't reach and a river of stars that I can't get across. If this is any indication of what the entire game is like, I'm thinking I should return the game. I don't dislike the idea of exploration or figuring things out, but I expect some general idea of what I should be doing. Also if the game contains this much narration, I don't think I'll like it. Being a Zelda fan I thought I would like this, but so far it hasn't impressed me. What should I do GAF?

If you go anywhere near the fruit or the star river and press Z to examine, it basically tells you what to do.

I have never played the game before and I didn't read anything about it online prior and figured them out pretty quickly. Hint: Use the celestial brush.

bob digi

AgentOtaku said:
just picked up my copy

so...yeah....remind me to thank Capcom for that fucking permanent "Play Magazine - 9.5 outta 10" on the box art (>___<)
....seriously...WTF

Agreed. Very annoying and out of place. Up to the part
after you restore the gardian saplings and have to make Sakuya's tree bloom while Mr. Orange is dancing. I drew a sun so many fucking times. I don't remember having this much trouble with PS2 version.
Anyway I am enjoying it again. Controls take some getting used to. Everything is more bright and colorful. Loads seem to be a bit quicker but I don't think you can get demon fangs from the load screens anymore. I don't remember if it was when you past a certain part when you could start doing that. I will be pissed if you can't get them like that. I'll have to piss on every monster.:lol

I really don't get why that PLAY 9.5 sign is permanent. I mean, couldn't it just have been a sticker? Once i buy the game, im not going to care that it got a 9.5, am I?

No idea what Capcom were thinking with that one.

EDarkness

Cdammen said:
Wii version FTL. It doesn't have the post-processing effects and the saturation is way too high. Ungh, it looks too clean. 16:9 doesn't help if the game loses it's visual charm :(

Heh, Capcom can't win. I still say they should have just ignored the "fans" and just avoided the port. Reading this kind of stuff just sucks all the excitement out of it....

Top Bottom