• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Okami Wii Thread of IGN Watermarks

KevinCow

Banned
Alright, what the hell, both of my nunchuks seem to be having issues with this game. One nunchuk has Amaterasu run slightly to the left when I have the stick pushed all the way forward, and with the other nunchuk, it will sometimes not recognize that I'm holding the stick all the way forward and she'll just walk really slowly. Anyone else having issues like these?

PantherLotus said:
Ok, it's real. I'm going to say it wasn't an accident and it was intentionally sabotaged.

Wii_Okami_FeatureGame.jpg

^^ Thats the artwork on the main page of the Capcom site. If you look for the original released boxart it was reversed as well. Somebody photoshopped it in for this release. Very, very funny if you ask me.
That artwork does have it. Follow the I in Okami straight down to where it meets the wolf. It's partially obscured.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
KevinCow said:
Alright, what the hell, both of my nunchuks seem to be having issues with this game. One nunchuk has Amaterasu run slightly to the left when I have the stick pushed all the way forward, and with the other nunchuk, it will sometimes not recognize that I'm holding the stick all the way forward and she'll just walk really slowly. Anyone else having issues like these?

That artwork does have it. Follow the I in Okami straight down to where it meets the wolf. It's partially obscured.

oh god i was looking in front of his mouth!! it's on the BG i guess.

Phthisis

KevinCow said:

Did you try resetting the system and leaving the stick alone on startup? Like the N64 and Cube before it, the Wii calibrates neutral stick position when the power is turned on, so if you're pressing it, even a little bit, it will throw off the sensors in the nunchuck.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Adoring this game, just so well presented. The characters, music, all wonderful.

I still can't get a good feel for the combat timing though. Doing any sort of continued strings of attacks just doesn't seem to register as well as it should. Waggle too fast and the game stops registering your commands period. Too slow and I end up doing constant 1-hit, 1-hit, 1-hit, 1-hit strikes until I get the chance to corpse slash for my demon nail. The window for waggling a perfect 3-hit combo is so damn small that it really is becoming a serious problem for enjoying that aspect of the game.

Oh and even wrestling out straight ink slash strikes worked a zillion times more accurately on PS2. I've gotten accustomed to circles with greater accuracy, but it can occasionally feel like a crapshoot to get the game to register them still. I do like the motion controller, but it really isn't an improvement in any fashion based on my 4-5 hours. If anything my issue with waggle strikes REALLY makes me wish for a button attack.

Beyond that, is there a way to see a checklist for missing animal feedings, clovers, treasure, and other hidden collectibles in each zone? Just wondering because it can be a nightmare trying to track down a missing chicken group in the lategame I'd guess.

wotter

Even the press release sites are using this as a reference for the wii packshot. Expect to see it a lot more lol :D.

Brandon F

Seriously, can we take the watermark shit to a new thread and discuss the game here?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
wow that's unmistakeable. How on earth did that pass quality control? Who on earth uses .jpgs FROM ANYWHERE as source material??

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
PantherLotus said:
wow that's unmistakeable. How on earth did that pass quality control? Who on earth uses .jpgs FROM ANYWHERE as source material??

Seems like whoever makes the boxarts at Capcom liked this image and they didn't have an original on hand. Probably didn't notice the IGN watermark there at the bottom, and then it faded a heck of a lot after they put some filters on in photoshop.

So basically, nobody took a good hard look at the image they were manipulating. Even I didn't see it for awhile after somebody told me that something was there.

Zerachiel

Talk about nitpickers.

The only valid criticism I've seen here is the difficulty of pulling off brushstrokes. I don't really give a damn about a barely visible watermark on the cover, and I think the game looks better with the filter partially removed; the colors are way more brilliant.

radcliff

Capcom did that so people wouldn't open the box to keep it as a collector's item and wait for the re-issued game with the box without the watermark to buy and play that one.

* shrugs

zbarron

KevinCow said:

The same thing happened with me near the beginning of the game. I stopped noticing after a while. It's probably due to the PS2 stick not having those notches so you couldn't tell if it is straight up. It's another shitty thing that should have been fixed in all the time it took to port this game.

Dear lord I love this game! :D

I find my self often just staring at it, its a pleasure to look at!

Once I looked up at the night sky, painted a blotch that turned into a star and then zoomed away...I was hooked. I love the painting aspects of it, the influence on the game using the brush is really whats hooking me. This game is just teeming with creativity.

I love just randomly painting trees, and flowers and stuff like that. Soo cool :D :D

My only real complaint thus far is the combat. I just cant seem to really "enjoy" it. I dont hate it, but its not that great "yet". I find myself keep trying to find a "lock-on" button.

Still awesome so far.

jarrod

Banned
Brandon F said:
I still can't get a good feel for the combat timing though. Doing any sort of continued strings of attacks just doesn't seem to register as well as it should. Waggle too fast and the game stops registering your commands period. Too slow and I end up doing constant 1-hit, 1-hit, 1-hit, 1-hit strikes until I get the chance to corpse slash for my demon nail. The window for waggling a perfect 3-hit combo is so damn small that it really is becoming a serious problem for enjoying that aspect of the game.
Once you get the beads, it gets easier. Just waggle away a la TP and it continually registers.

Evlar

Banned
After much consideration I've decided to stick with my release-day PS2 version of Okami. Based on comments in this thread it sounds like people are having trouble with the Wii controls, and that's precisely the part of the game I hoped would be improved. After playing the PS2 version again for 15 minutes or so I can't find a reason to spend $40 on a port that seems to offer very few advantages (and one disadvantage- they changed the visual style of one of last generation's most uniquely designed games).

Narag

I really liked the PS2 release and as such I've doubledipped. I've put an hour in to get reacquainted with the game and thought I'd toss a few pros/cons out there too.

Pros:
- Skippable cutscenes.
- Speedy text aside from specific cutscenes.
- Nunchuck control just feels nice.
- Paintbrush feels good too even if having taken a bit to get used to it. This stands to change later on depending on whether or not specific powers are made difficult to use.

Cons:
- Not a big fan of the waggle used for the sunshield attacks. Timing is easily acquired to combo but it shouldn't have that hurdle in there to begin with.
- I'm running on an old 27" CRT SD WEGA and had to set the settings to LCD. For whatever reasons, the regular tv settings are far too blurry and distracting.

All in all, I'm eager to put another 40 hours into this.

I know people here keep on dogging the visual differences between both versions, but I can't help but observe how the Wii's more vibrant palette looks closer to the actual artwork for Okami...as opposed to the sumi-e look Clover originally intended

characters_17.jpg

characters_13.jpg

characters_35.jpg

backgrounds_2.jpg

backgrounds_4.jpg

KevinCow said:

LOL! I looked at the box and it has the D-pad symbol somewhat faintly next to Amaterasu. Looks like somebody's getting fired!

14awgeu.gif

Brandon F said:
Waggle is definately getting a bit irritating in combat so far. Unlike Zelda you can't just keep fapping the remote and have Ammi auto swing until you decide to go limp. There is seemingly very rigid timing for doing the quick combos and if you mess it up, the game will require you to stop all motion and restart the waggle to reinitiate attack.

So essentially you really have to time the waggle hardcore and get accustomed to the specific rhythm of it, much more skillplay involved, but its fukk all irritating when you are shaking your wrist like a madman and Ammi does jack shit when the timing gets all missed up.

Yeah, that's annoying; it's easy to think it's not working at all when it does that. I'm sure you could button-mash in the PS2 version and at least get the first swing to go again and again. Definitely not the case here.

And just when I started getting used to that, I got the nunchuck roll move. Boy, that not only doesn't work right, it goes off with the slightest movement. Poor Ammy is rolling in random directions as I walk/run around. That got old really fast, and I quit the game. I'm going to go back to a previous save and not learn that move. I'd better be able to play through the game without it, or I'm done. I'm not about to put my nunchuck in a clamp to be able to play.

Ammy also runs slightly to the left when I press the stick straight up. On the plus side, drawing is working great. It also took a little getting used to; it seems like drawing faster, with thinner lines, is rewarded over straight lines or symmetrical circles.

Waggle is definately getting a bit irritating in combat so far. Unlike Zelda you can't just keep fapping the remote and have Ammi auto swing until you decide to go limp. There is seemingly very rigid timing for doing the quick combos and if you mess it up, the game will require you to stop all motion and restart the waggle to reinitiate attack.

Yes, this is most definitely annoying. I didn't even realize you could do more than 2 attacks at a time until I found out the 4 attack combo at the dojo. You have to shake it left, right, left, right or else Ammy just stands there like an idiot. Whoever thought of this should be shot.
And just when I started getting used to that, I got the nunchuck roll move. Boy, that not only doesn't work right, it goes off with the slightest movement. Poor Ammy is rolling in random directions as I walk/run around. That got old really fast, and I quit the game. I'm going to go back to a previous save and not learn that move. I'd better be able to play through the game without it, or I'm done. I'm not about to put my nunchuck in a clamp to be able to play.

You must have some really shaky hands or something. I just put my nunchuk arm down when I'm not battling, so I don't have any "rolling everywhere" problems.

Anyone who's saying that the game sucks because of crappy controls, the skippable cutscenes and brush controls more than make up for everything. I just wish they would have polished this game more, they definitely had time to fix the controls.

Brandon F

Death_Born said:
Yes, this is most definitely annoying. I didn't even realize you could do more than 2 attacks at a time until I found out the 4 attack combo at the dojo. You have to shake it left, right, left, right or else Ammy just stands there like an idiot. Whoever thought of this should be shot.

You must have some really shaky hands or something. I just put my nunchuk arm down when I'm not battling, so I don't have any "rolling everywhere" problems.

You can do the combo by pushing a single direction(I do mostly all 'right' slashes to pull it off), it's just the timing has to be absolutely flawless to pull it off. Training for the 4-hit combo in the dojo and my failure rate was ridiculous. After lots of practice against the dummy I got a decent feel of it, but in actual combat situations I still can barely perform it on command.

After getting the new chain-like weapon though, it seems you can pretty much waggle nonstop to pull off long strings just fine and stow the default weapon in the 2nd slot for defense. Far less aggravating.

As for the dodge roll, it totally blows. It almost seems to never roll Ammy in the direction I'd like it to dodge, and I doubt I'll ever use it in the game because of that.

I still have more failed paint slashes than I'd ever like though. It's really irritating when you want to slash and instead you end up just covering an enemy in black ink...ugh. Going for fatality 'Demon Fang' hits is way too often a tense affair, the game just seems to often not recognize my lines as straight.

Otherwise I adore the game.

jesus....am I the only one NOT have any issues with the waggle attacks??!!!

the 4-hit combo works 4/5 times for me when I try it, so I always cut through enemies real quick. Same goes for finishing slashes that net Demon Fangs.....If anything, I end up doing the 4 hit combo waaay more now than regular attacks, just because i'm so used to the timing/tempo of it

As said before, it's about timing, and THAT timing for that particular combo is a slightly faster than a normal combo....like I said, don't do any fancy shit, like swinging side to side or whatever...just pretend it's like Percussion instrument almost... like your hitting a drum head...it's all about rhythm

KevinCow said:
What are these fatality demon fang hits that people are talking about?

At the moment you defeat a demon; i.e the slow mowed death, there's a short instance where if you use the power slash to cut them in half you get demon fang(s).

Mirimar

KevinCow said:
What are these fatality demon fang hits that people are talking about?

Floral finishers, there's a guide on gamefaqs. Right after you kill the enemy, there's a moment in time where it's floating. In that moment, you can do a brush skill to get fangs.

theultimo

WTF.... I have that watermark too :\

FYI for the post above me, Capcom took a stock photo from IGN and shopped it to make the cover.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Xisiqomelir said:
This is correct. I was perhaps over-excited.

In the U.S., the terms disc and disk are mostly interchangeable. However, that depends largely on what part of the country you are from. Industries in the technology sector usually consider "disc" to mean removable optical media and "disk" to mean enclosed magenetic media, but even then there is no absolute "correct" definition.

If you are in England, you are less correct, but it is still debatable.

Now, please, can we get back on the topic of discussing IGN's watermark being on some game about a dog, or something?

theultimo

Crushed said:
Explains the IGN score.

Ultimate moneyhat, each copy advertises IGN.
and play...

9.5 OUT of 10 FHDJKGS

Also, if you look at it, the "9.5 out of 10" bubble is DIRECTLY below the IGN watermark.

KevinCow

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
At the moment you defeat a demon; i.e the slow mowed death, there's a short instance where if you use the power slash to cut them in half you get demon fang(s).
Oh. I always just jump up and whack them again for the hell of it.

Guess I'll try to get those demon fangs now. What are they good for?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
KevinCow said:
Guess I'll try to get those demon fangs now. What are they good for?
Oh nothing much.

Just pretty useless items, like being able to walk on water, repel all enemy scrolls to avoid fights, automatically pulling in all dropped items in a huge range, ink recharging insanely fast. Stuff like that.

Nothing major, you know.

Brandon F

Fuck. My game just crashed and I lost about 2 hours of progress, all of which was clearing out animals and treasure in Agata.

Also, pushing the beehive up the large hill towards the sleeping bear makes me want to hunt down each member of Clover with a cleaver.

Meesh

Just picked Okami up today...and it's gorgeous:D

The remote brush thing I hear some people complaining about is valid. Sometimes my brush strokes don't register...no idea why...that aside, once I understood what was required for "painting" constellations, most of the time the controls worked...so...it works, and sometimes it doesn't...but I'm still extremely happy I picked up this game, It's amazing.

Top Bottom