• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Okami Wii Thread of IGN Watermarks

Dascu

sphinx said:
I need someone to encourage me to play this game....

When I bought it, I played it one first time just to see what was it like and all I got was like 40 minutes of extremely annoying blocks of text, some pseudo-tutorial and weird uninteresting enviroments.

judging by that, I would never turn it on again.

Can someone please explain me why I should this game a chance??
Because it's one of the most beautiful games ever made.

And there's also a character with really big boobs later in the game.

soldat7

Formless said:
Just picked up this game. The combat is bad at least initially, and the cutscenes are the worst I've seen from a dialogue standpoint (Probably because the game is so damn pretty and is slowed down by annoying text)

The dialog is perfect in my opinion. Clover did an amazing job creating a very foreign world and the audible voice-work goes a long way in reinforcing this point. Every voice is distinct and if you listen carefully you can identify a variety of different emotions coming from the characters. Hearing the dialog in Japanese or English would have tarnished the game significantly reduced the charm.

80% of the dialog in Okami can be sped up; it's just during the cutscenes, where the dialog is meant to match the action, that you can't speed it up. Stick with the game until the end and you will be rewarded with a very well-told story.

The combat is initially quite simple, and in fact, remains rather simple throughout the game (yet deeper than Zelda). However, with added brush strokes you do get more options as you progress. Again, stick with the combat and it will become very rewarding. There are some incredible enemies in this game but it will never be very difficult or taxing. (I've only played the PS2 version...my playthrough of the Wii version is about a month away ;) ).

sphinx said:

When I bought it, I played it one first time just to see what was it like and all I got was like 40 minutes of extremely annoying blocks of text, some pseudo-tutorial and weird uninteresting enviroments.

I don't think the design language of the game speaks to everyone. The environments, the music, the story, and the game mechanics won't be for everyone. It is a VERY foreign feeling game, for lack of a better description, especially to a Western audience. However, stick with the game for a couple of hours and you will be well rewarded. Even if you don't play past the 4-5 hour mark, you will have experienced some very cool portions of the game and who knows, maybe it will get its hooks into you.

Okami (PS2) is quite literally one of the top 5 games I've ever played and I've played just about everything.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Relix said:
10 hours in and I am now just getting the hang of the combat by waggle. It's hard or something I don't know:lol
You just have to learn the timing. You can't just swing a bunch, each type of weapon has its own attack speed and you have to time your swings to when the attacks are available. Other than that, I don't know what the problem would be.

daemonic

Banned
sphinx said:

I had the EXACT same experience with the PS2 version. The intro text/tutorial was unbearably long and I ended up just turning it off. Haven't gone back since. I really want to like this game.. so I'll give it another go when I have more time to sit through all of that.

dgud

Neo Member
Sitting next to my son and translating/telling the story, 20 hours in or something.

I bought this as a new Zelda TP, which we, me and the kids played through last year,
it was a nice gather the family together go on an adventure and solve puzzles.

We tought the initial hours was unbearingly slow and un-interesting, and they took weeks
to get through. I didn't even like the graphics initially. But now it's beautiful and the atmosphere in the game is superb.

The whole game is easy, we havn't needed to look at a walkthrough yet, and the figths are easy as well, we have died once in 20 hours.

It's hard to explain what's so good about the game, even people seeing the game for 20 mins or don't get it.

Give it a couple of hours before you give up and you will be rewarded, the story, people
and graphics make the game.

Hmm Zelda, Metroid and soon Okami are finished, need another epic adventure is there anything good left?

[Nintex]

dgud said:
Sitting next to my son and translating/telling the story, 20 hours in or something.

I bought this as a new Zelda TP, which we, me and the kids played through last year,
it was a nice gather the family together go on an adventure and solve puzzles.

We tought the initial hours was unbearingly slow and un-interesting, and they took weeks
to get through. I didn't even like the graphics initially. But now it's beautiful and the atmosphere in the game is superb.

The whole game is easy, we havn't needed to look at a walkthrough yet, and the figths are easy as well, we have died once in 20 hours.

It's hard to explain what's so good about the game, even people seeing the game for 20 mins or don't get it.

Give it a couple of hours before you give up and you will be rewarded, the story, people
and graphics make the game.

Hmm Zelda, Metroid and soon Okami are finished, need another epic adventure is there anything good left?
Super Mario Galaxy, no translation needed, it'll blow your mind.

demonix69 said:
I had the EXACT same experience with the PS2 version. The intro text/tutorial was unbearably long and I ended up just turning it off. Haven't gone back since. I really want to like this game.. so I'll give it another go when I have more time to sit through all of that.

I don't get why people are SOO turned off by the tutorials in games. I braved through Twilight Princess's completely idiotic village section, and the game got better. I don't see why you are unwilling to learn some backstory and/or how to play the game. If you think it's too long, just skip through the text or something.

Okami is, in general, two games in one...it's quite long. So even though the beginning is long, it's proportional to how much time you will spend on the game.

sphinx

the piano man
Death_Born said:
I don't get why people are SOO turned off by the tutorials in games. I braved through Twilight Princess's completely idiotic village section, and the game got better. I don't see why you are unwilling to learn some backstory and/or how to play the game. If you think it's too long, just skip through the text or something.

Okami is, in general, two games in one...it's quite long. So even though the beginning is long, it's proportional to how much time you will spend on the game.

slow beginnings SERIOUSLY damage a game, TP's awful first hours really prevent me from going back to the game even though the part from the 3rd to the 7th dungeon is really, really good.

Since I won't buy anything this christmas, I'll give this game a try but the start already sucks, I do hope it gets better.

soldat7 said:
The dialog is perfect in my opinion. Clover did an amazing job creating a very foreign world and the audible voice-work goes a long way in reinforcing this point. Every voice is distinct and if you listen carefully you can identify a variety of different emotions coming from the characters. Hearing the dialog in Japanese or English would have tarnished the game significantly reduced the charm.

The fact that Amaterasu wouldn't be able to talk anyway means that voice acting would only be for your annoying sidekick and maybe a few main characters, so the lack of it doesn't really make a difference. The garbling isn't that bad.

Formless

2 hours in and the game is much more fun.

Also, the whole replacing covers thing is over?!? I guess I will have to forever live with this IGN watermark (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing considering the hilarity of the situation)

Anony

still waiting for my cover

i fucken signed up ON THE FIRST DAY, and there's people that gotten their multiple copies, pissing me off

also, there's really no way to know if you'll get it or not, if it comes one day it comes
for me, i've given up

sphinx said:

I am exactly in the same situation. I bought it when it was released on the Wii, played it once or twice, and never touched it again. I'm sure the game gets better after the slow start but I have no motivation to continue. Then again I don't have much free time to play video games these days...

loosus

Banned
Death_Born said:
I don't get why people are SOO turned off by the tutorials in games. I braved through Twilight Princess's completely idiotic village section, and the game got better. I don't see why you are unwilling to learn some backstory and/or how to play the game.
Unlike you, most people can live without playing games. If the shit is too long, turn it off. Turning it off doesn't bother most folks.

loosus said:
Unlike you, most people can live without playing games. If the shit is too long, turn it off. Turning it off doesn't bother most folks.

If you have so little time to play games, why are you posting on NeoGAF?

I would think that if you bought the game, you were willing to finish it. But that's just me...go ahead and keep wasting your money.

still waiting for my cover

i fucken signed up ON THE FIRST DAY, and there's people that gotten their multiple copies, pissing me off

also, there's really no way to know if you'll get it or not, if it comes one day it comes
for me, i've given up

They have already shipped them all at once for most people, a month ago....
I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

loosus

Banned
Death_Born said:
If you have so little time to play games, why are you posting on NeoGAF?
If you like rap music, why is the rhino gray?

I would think that if you bought the game, you were willing to finish it. But that's just me...go ahead and keep wasting your money.
Good idea. Pay money for the game and suffer through it. Excellent work, Captain.

loosus said:
If you like rap music, why is the rhino gray?

Good idea. Pay money for the game and suffer through it. Excellent work, Captain.

Now you have completely lost me. I was assuming you actually bought the game. But apparently, you are whining about Okami, without even buying it or trying the game for yourself.

dgud

Neo Member
[Nintex] said:
Super Mario Galaxy, no translation needed, it'll blow your mind.

Thanks, but, been there, done that.

Maybe a jrpg, Tales of Symp?
But is that to complex for a 9 year old with no english knowledge.

Or maybe Tomb Raider? I haven't played a good one in ages thought the later ones was more
bad shooters than adventures as the first early ones.

Dascu

dgud said:

Or maybe Tomb Raider? I haven't played a good one in ages thought the later ones was more
Try deBlob.

zoukka

dgud said:

I don't know your history with Nintendo, but Zelda: Wind Waker for Gamecube still looks great and feels definately "epic".

Gomu Gomu

dgud said:

if you've played SMG, I would strongly recommend Zack & Wiki. What a beautiful game.

dgud

Neo Member
Thanks all..

History, 40 year old, long time PC gamer, wii is the first console ever,
(for the kids, was the excuse).

Have had my eyes on both deBlob and Zack & Wiki,
Zelda Wind Waker hmm sounds nice didn't think of that one, Zelda was such a discovery
for me (and the kids :)
I've only been playing Mohaa / Call of Duty for the last years..

Does anyone have any extras of the box arts that Capcom sent out? I just got a copy of the Wii version, and I'd love to replace the cover.

Haunted

Oh man, with the recent releases this game has trouble staying on my GOTY list. Right now it's a three-way race between Ass Creed, Okamii and de Blob for the remaining places. :/

Anyone know how to properly use a glaive charge? 98% of the time Ammy is just standing there, literally turning into a miniature sun while enemies attack and I waggle in vain. Searching through this thread and Gamefaqs was of little help. Am I supposed to slash downwards from the up position or what?

Edit: Love the Demon Fang insult and its bonus. Reminds me of SFIII Dudley's taunt.

hockeypuck said:
Anyone know how to properly use a glaive charge? 98% of the time Ammy is just standing there, literally turning into a miniature sun while enemies attack and I waggle in vain. Searching through this thread and Gamefaqs was of little help. Am I supposed to slash downwards from the up position or what?

Edit: Love the Demon Fang insult and its bonus. Reminds me of SFIII Dudley's taunt.

What I do is lift up the remote, which causes the charge, and then after one or two seconds I move the remote downwards. Most of the time this works great. Swing side to side for normal glaive attacks. IIRC, you can do the charge attack and then straight after continue the combo with a few regular horizontal slashes by moving the remote side to side, which does heaps of damage.

The glaive is the sketchiest weapon with the remote though. The beads are the easiest to use by far, it's just a shame they're a bit weak. If you can get a hold of the glaive controls, you'll be an absolute beast.

Top Bottom