• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official original designs and story details from Versus XIII/FFXV surface

silva1991

DDp1ItKV0AAoMIZ.jpg:large

Those pics are opening old wounds :/

And just like that, Stella shits on Luna from the highest rooftops.

Not that we didn't know Luna was shit already

Luna had no phone? She was so bad I hardly remember anything about her aside from her demise.

Setsu00

So Cindy was already in Versus yet people blamed Tabata and criticized him for her design.

I guess? But wasn't the criticism mostly directed at Ofuji's comment that (I think) EU players want female characters, but at the same time slammed Cindy for her "sexy" outfit?

Ydelnae

I also find it interesting that everything from these concepts seem to be pre-Leviathan fight judging by the final game. Did the Nomura game even ventured on what happened after Altissia? lol

And just like that, Stella shits on Luna from the highest rooftops.

Not that we didn't know Luna was shit already

to be fair we know nothing about Stella. She could have been just like Lunafreya and from a pure design standpoint I dont think Stella or Lunafreya are that much different.

I also find it interesting that everything from these concepts seem to be pre-Leviathan fight judging by the final game. Did the Nomura game even ventured on what happened after Altissia? lol
Now that you put it this way, it seems to the case, lol. Plenty of flashbacks or perhaps playable scenes in Insomnia as well.

Ydelnae

They also showed this unused art for Episode Prompto featuring the best bro, naked.

I appreciate that they are sharing more info about the changes for the game since the fans are clearly interested in them, but I'm not sure if I like the way they are revealing them at selected events while at the same time they ask us to focus on the actual finished game.

With the way the dev team got split up by SE to fix other teams problems every few months, I can't imagine they ever made much progress beyond concepts and the equivalent of vertical slices/tech demos. I don't really blame Nomura for the games problems, even Yoshi-P on FFXIV says its literally SE's arrogance in the post PS2 era and insular obsession with Crystal Tools that tanked the company, but I wonder if he didn't lose heart in v13 well before 2013.

KupoNut

Well, Versus was going to be a pentalogy so :p

True Fire

The Nomura game was a trilogy. They probably didn't do any significant planning for parts 2 and 3.

This is verrrrrry evident in how XV falls apart story-wise after Altissia.

Ydelnae

The Nomura game was a trilogy. They probably didn't do any significant planning for parts 2 and 3.

This is verrrrrry evident in how XV falls apart story-wise after Altissia.

Do we have an actual source on the trilogy thing other than Nomura saying that he wishes to expand the game with multiple entries? Because I always interpreted as if he wanted to make a FFXV compilation like VII and KH instead of episodic releases.

True Fire

Do we have an actual source on the trilogy thing other than Nomura saying that he wishes to expand the game with multiple entries? Because I always interpreted as if he wanted to make a FFXV compilation like VII and KH instead of episodic releases.

I'm going off of the 4chan leaks, which of course you have to take with a grain of salt. But they've been pretty adamant about XV being a trilogy condensed into one game.

A world of Versus epic. Google it.

ratsuki

Going by the style, all of the art here was done by Roberto Ferrari who left the team when Nomura was taken off the project, so this is most likely Versus XIII art.

Yeah, most likely it was part of a storyboard that Roberto Ferrari mentioned in one of his facebook post. One of the image is the same one as the image he posted here:
https://www.facebook.com/RobertoFerrariArt/photos/a.945240485548310.1073741836.944530178952674/1276229885782700/?type=3&theater

Roberto Ferrari said:
This below is a frame of a storyboard made up of 130 other images that I made for an official presentation on may 30, 2013........ How many memories, there was still Stella...

Socivol

Seeing this stuff makes me so sad. I liked the game but seeing glimpses of what it could have been is depressing. I also don't understand after all those years why they couldn't make a more engaging story because clearly they had the content.

DeSolos

If this was for the aforementioned presentation then it might be specifically Nomura's FFXV rather than just versus.

Someone mentioned that this all ends with Leviathan. It's very possible that was the end of the first FFXV game/chapter what have you. Or just all that Roberto prepared for the staff presentation.

Seeing this stuff makes me so sad. I liked the game but seeing glimpses of what it could have been is depressing. I also don't understand after all those years why they couldn't make a more engaging story because clearly they had the content.
They had content but not time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This doesn't make sense. Stella and Noctis could never communicate via phones like normal humans. Instead they have to communicate via telepathy via magic dog.

Famassu

Honestly, they should really have made it so that when the gang went back to Insomnia, they would've run into Luna who had barely escaped Insomnia at the end of Kingsglaive, then taken her with them, had some interactions with her & Noctis & the rest of them to build their relationship, then maybe have her being captured at some point while Noctis was going around powering himself up (and Luna gathering all the plague she can), then have Noctis & the gang rush to Altissia to save her. Then the game could've carried on much like it did in the final game (though optimally with less linearity). That way all the stuff in and after Altissia would carry more weight and they could've still build all of the story around the content/environments that was in the game as is.

Don't think time was an issue other than past Altissia, before that they could've done a better job with the time & resources they had. Tabata and the writers just did all the wrong decisions.

Socivol

I wonder about this because the beginning of the game actually has a really sparse story and I would think that if that was the issue that would be the inverse. I think they told the story they wanted to tell for the most part (besides the rushed parts after Altissa) which is weird because one of the main criticisms of FFXIII was story.

So Cindy was already in Versus yet people blamed Tabata and criticized him for her design.
I mean, he kept her in the game, so he's responsible at some level. Everyone knows the Italian character designer is the one who created her design, that's obvious, but I can see why people would criticize Tabata for her too.

Vic_Viper

Really wanted that gameplay sequence from the last Versus trailer/first XV trailer with Noctis fighting through tons of soldiers while the city is being attacked by the Hydra.

I really hope Square has learned from this and FFXIV's failures. Basically how to handle game development in this day and console generation. Mainly build your tools first before showing "gameplay" off. KH3 and FFVIIr already look like they are having the same issues which is seriously troubling.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Bahaha that fucking phone picture. 😂😂😂 Who the hell signed off on them using that diary shit in the final game?

I wonder about this because the beginning of the game actually has a really sparse story and I would think that if that was the issue that would be the inverse. I think they told the story they wanted to tell for the most part (besides the rushed parts after Altissa) which is weird because one of the main criticisms of FFXIII was story.
The story is designed to be entirely from Noctis' POV so I guess one of the reason it suffered was they were too fixated on Noctis and his journey of road trip and brotherhood.

There could be a better way to approach this, sure. But what can I say when even Nomura himself was fixated on road trip and brotherhood during the Versus era. Tabata was just told to carry his baggage and reshape it into something playable, which he did.

Famassu

The story is designed to be entirely from Noctis' POV so I guess one of the reason it suffered was they were too fixated on Noctis and his journey of road trip and brotherhood.

There could be a better way to approach this, sure. But what can I say when even Nomura himself was fixated on road trip and brotherhood during the Versus era. Tabata was just told to carry his baggage and reshape it into something playable, which he did.
The road trip aspect wasn't the problem.

Top Bottom