• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 JP thread (omg)

fap fap fap

any indication yet beyond just "2007" when we'll get this in English?

oh, well, I've got Devil Summoner KR to play in the mean time :)

WalkMan

Banned
t05.jpg

P3 Mouse Pad

t01.jpg

P3 Tarot Cards

pinbadge.jpg

P3 Pin

http://www.jp.playstation.com/shopping/Item/2/6178301.html

Ashodin

yeah so, this game really looks like it's worth the scores it got in famitsu.

Maybe I'll pick it up. MAYBE.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I CAN'T WAIT! :D

It's my second most anticipated RPG this year... :)

... first next year. :(

Srider

Banned
Shit, was making a thread...... I'm playing this now.

I've never played any of the persona games before, but I was drawn to the stylish direction of this game evident from the first PV. So I picked it up as soon as it's available.

Here are some very quick impressions (playing as I'm typing this..).

There is an easy and normal mode, I'm playing on normal. The anime cutscenes are very well done. The intro is basically the anime part from the first PV. They remind me of Serial Experiment Lain, not a bad thing. The game is fully voiced for all of the key characters, very good dub as always. The graphics are really really nice in this game, very detailed texture work. Camera is rotatable when you are walking around. The music is superb, I'm definitely giong to get the OST for this.

I'll check back after I've played it a bit more. The beginning is a bunch of talking to introduce you to the setting.

I'll probably put in my capture card and make some movies, most likely tomorrow.

Ashodin

Srider said:
The game is fully voiced for all of the key characters, very good dub as always.
Never mention dub around GAF. They will rip your throat out violently then drink your blood.

Srider said:
The music is superb, I'm definitely giong to get the OST for this.

Excellent. Does it say who the composer is in the back of the book or in the begiining of the game? (Kenichi Tsuchiya? Shoji Meguro?)

I was kind of hoping Tsuchiya would return (come on, he did most of the series' music), but Shoji Meguro is one of the best, so it's cool! I'm real interested in seeing his style for Persona, though.

Srider

Banned
FateBreaker said:
Excellent. Does it say who the composer is in the back of the book or in the begiining of the game? (Kenichi Tsuchiya? Shoji Meguro?)

It's –ڍ•«Ži, Shoji Meguro.

Srider

Banned
So far, the story line is a big unknown. I have no clue why things are happening because the game gives no explainations for different weird characters and events. I'm sure things will be clear later on.

The game keeps track of the days of the month it is, and each day you much go to school and answer a question about the days lecture. If you get it right, you get a stat boost. After that, weird stuff happens at night, the game seems to follow this sequence of events each day.

I've only fought an intro battle so far, it's non stop talking and cutscenes thus far. Right now, I can use persona skills by sacrificing some HP, or do normal physical attacks. There doesn't seem to be a status menu or anything like that, so I can't check to see what stats are what. I was able to see it after the battle when I leveled up however, and it's clear that there are different stats for your character and you persona. I think once the game progresses further I may have the option to pause and check stats.

I'm very impressed by the graphics and the art direction of the game. The 3d models fits very well with the look of the anime/2d art, and the music is also very fitting as well. It's so far jazzy ambient/hip hop/jpop'ish stuff so far.

Srider

Banned
Ok, now the game is actually starting....

When you are in battle, you can analyze the enemy to figure out it's weaknesses. Against a new enemy type, it takes a certain amount of turns for the process to finish. Once you've analyzed an enemy, the data is kept so you don't have to do it again on the same enemy type. When you figure out the enemy's weakness, you can attack with the corresponding type of attack to stun it. When you stun an enemy, you gain an extra turn. You can actually keep on stunning enemies till all of them is stunned, then you can do a group combo attack. At the end of the battle, sometimes there will be a "shuffle time" where you pick a card from a shuffled list of cards to earn new persona, items, or secret cards.

There is a community system, I'm guessing it's how familiar you are with your party members. Not sure how this affects the gameplay so far. It doesn't seem like you can control your party members in combat, so you need to check equipments before you enter the dungeons. You actually access skills and menu of your party members in between battle by talking to them. When they level up, they actually speak to you after battle and tells you that they leveled up.

There is also a quest menu (you can access menu in dungeons) and something called "Mixraid", both of which I am not sure exactly what they do.

When you are running around in the dungeon, you can run up to enemies and attack them to get a preemptive strike. Battle animations are well done, reminds me of the cell shaded fighting sequences of recent DBZ or Naruto games.

No English options, and no subs during anime cutscenes for those affected.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Srider said:
Ok, now the game is actually starting....

When you are in battle, you can analyze the enemy to figure out it's weaknesses. Against a new enemy type, it takes a certain amount of turns for the process to finish. Once you've analyzed an enemy, the data is kept so you don't have to do it again on the same enemy type. When you figure out the enemy's weakness, you can attack with the corresponding type of attack to stun it. When you stun an enemy, you gain an extra turn. You can actually keep on stunning enemies till all of them is stunned, then you can do a group combo attack. At the end of the battle, sometimes there will be a "shuffle time" where you pick a card from a shuffled list of cards to earn new persona, items, or secret cards.
ok this sounds good.

There is a community system, I'm guessing it's how familiar you are with your party members. Not sure how this affects the gameplay so far. It doesn't seem like you can control your party members in combat, so you need to check equipments before you enter the dungeons. You actually access skills and menu of your party members in between battle by talking to them. When they level up, they actually speak to you after battle and tells you that they leveled up.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :( :(

When you are running around in the dungeon, you can run up to enemies and attack them to get a preemptive strike. Battle animations are well done, reminds me of the cell shaded fighting sequences of recent DBZ or Naruto games.
wait no random battles then? what?

Srider

Banned
Error2k4 said:
wait no random battles then? what?

You can see the enemies on the screen.

Oh, you can change equipments in between battle, just talk to them. So far I'm not able to control them in battle though.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Srider said:
Oh, you can change equipments in between battle, just talk to them. So far I'm not able to control them in battle though.
how does that works then? that sounds really shitty :(

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
can anyone upload videos of enemies on-screen and perhaps whatever animation there is when engading the enemy from behind or whatever?

Error2k4 said:
how does that works then? that sounds really shitty :(

stfu error, it will be the greatest game ever and you will cum.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wait! Let us not jump to conclusions, maybe there is a reason you can't control the party.

Edit: I meant the rest of the party, not including the main character.

Brobzoid

I was under the impression that you could control your main character, but not your mates? or are you saying that you have no control? if so, there better be some ****ing great reasoning behind this! >:O

duckroll

Okay, I picked up the game, going to play it soon. Got the pre-order bonus disc too. Lots of yummy goodies in it. The full version of the opening as well as a 13 minute mix of several tracks in the game are on the CD, and in mp3 format too! Tons of yummy wallpapers and screensavers and voice samples too. Rock! :D

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm torn between the awesomeness of MegaTen and the pain of the headaches caused by me trying to read the Japanese. Why MegaTen gotta be so hard? :(

WalkMan

Banned

The future is here! No More Random Encounters!!

duckroll

Okay, I put in a good 2-3 hours into the game so far. Hard to tell since I just lost an hour of gameplay due to DEATH! That's the only reason I'm even here typing this and not playing the game! :lol

Okay, first things first, this is most definitely a R&D1 game. When I got to the point where I had to name my character, I actually looked up the kana for the kanji characters of my Chinese name just so I could get my character named after me. I was going to call him duckroll but there was no katakana and only large caps for alphabets. Also, you have to pick a surname and a former name, so it fit. Thank god the game's database has like every single kanji in the world. :lol

The writing as expected is really good, and the characters have excellent seiyuu. The anime FMVs are so ****ing well directed, whoever's doing them needs to do a real anime. Definitely reminds me of Lain as well. The progression of the story outside of the "dungeon" gameplay is a very nice school life simulation of sorts. You basically see parts of every day, if something interesting happens. There's usually a class or so were you can answer a question or decide between staying awake or sleeping through it. After school you get to walk around the school and talk to people, or you can leave the school and check out the various other locations on the island. The day ends when you return to the boarding house.

At night is when the game turns into a full dungeon RPG. There's a huge tower called Tataros and every floor is randomly generated. There's a minimap where you can see enemies slightly before you actually see them on your screen. You use O to swing your sword, and if you hit the enemy you get Player Advantage in the battle. If the enemy sees you and attacks you before you hit it, it's Enemy Advantage. So basically each floor has limited enemies and there are no random encounters. There are random treasures around each floor too, as well as stairs to the next floor. There are also sometimes teleporters on certain floors that allow you to return to the entrance if you've had enough.

In battles you only control the main character, and the game only ends if your main character dies. When any other character dies, after a turn or two he/she "wakes up" with 1-2 HP. The other characters are AI controlled. When not in battle you can also split up the party of 3 and the other two people will wander the floor of the dungeon on their own and fight enemies on their own too. When you regroup, they'll give you any treasures they've found. When you get into an encounter when seperated you'll have to take on enemies yourself. It's a really interesting system and is REALLY addictive for dungeon crawling fans.

That's about all the game is so far, because well, I only got so far before I found some "new" enemies on the 5th floor, and decided to fight them.... but I was out of SP and low on items so well yeah, DIED. Will have to replay an entire hour again later but at least I'll know that it'll be entirely different next time round! :lol (yes there is only a save point at the entrance of the dungeon)

For those that find this too damn hardcore, there's an EASY MODE you can pick at the start which makes battles easier and gives you 10 continues throughout the entire game. The game also features the BEST soundtrack of the year I've heard in ANYTHING, movie/anime/game. :D :D :D

duckroll

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Any options for HDTV owners?

Nope. This Summer the RPGs have all been great but only Tri-Ace cares about Home Theatre fans. :(

WalkMan said:
How hard is it compared to the other SMT/Persona games? Harder than Nocturne?

It's not so much that it's hard. More like I was presented with the following scenario:

"You have proceeded five floors in this dungeon and are now weakened. Your party members do not have full HP, and you have no more mana. You are pretty much out of items as you did not prepare before hand, and now you are about to face 3 harder new enemies that you have been warned against. There is a transporter back to the entrance if you wish to stop now. What do you do?"

I chose "I AM GOING TO RUN IN AND BUMRUSH THE MOTHER****ERS AND PROBABLY DIE LOSING AN HOUR OF PROGRESS! YEAAAAAAH!"

I reaped what I sowed. :lol

Tabs

duckroll said:
In battles you only control the main character, and...The other characters are AI controlled.
Ouch. I hate that style of battle system. Unfortunately (for me), it seems to be the direction most new RPGs are taking.

Do they play out in real time with you interjecting commands, or is it still turn-based but with only control over one character?

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Are the dungeons big? Tell us more about the Personas! :D

There aren't any "dungeons" so far, it's just one BIG tower that you conquer bit by bit like a hardcore dungeon crawler. It's VERY likely the game will open up as more events occur over the timeline of the game since it's literally a day-by-day thing. But for now you have a chance once per night to take on as much of the Tataros as you can.

After every enemy encounter you sometimes get a chance to pick a card from a shuffle of 2 or more cards. You see the available cards before they're turned over and shuffled, then you pick one. It's not hard if you have sharp eyes to get the one you one. They're either money, equipment or a new Persona. I have 3 so far. In the Velvet Room you can combine the Persona you have collected to make new ones as well. So it's very much SMT.

Trav said:
Ouch. I hate that style of battle system. Unfortunately (for me), it seems to be the direction most new RPGs are taking.

Do they play out in real time with you interjecting commands, or is it still turn-based but with only control over one character?

Every turn you pick the action you want to do. Then the entire turn plays out. It's turn-based. The AI seems pretty good. They know when to heal, and when to attack, etc. As with SMT3 if you want you can set the entire battle to auto-battle too on weaker enemies.

Zalasta

duckroll said:
There aren't any "dungeons" so far, it's just one BIG tower that you conquer bit by bit like a hardcore dungeon crawler. It's VERY likely the game will open up as more events occur over the timeline of the game since it's literally a day-by-day thing. But for now you have a chance once per night to take on as much of the Tataros as you can.

So are you automatically kicked out of the dungeon at the end of the night? I don't suppose you know this yet, but I wonder if you can skip the earlier parts/floors of Tataros as your characters become more powerful, because I assume the difficulty of the monsters stays the same (or maybe if you finished a floor, it remains clear the next time you enter).

I'm disappointed, can't believe you died already 3 hours in! Weak sauce!

Brobzoid

how is the AI on your team mates? i'd hate for me to get an enemy to fall asleep or something and one of them fools smack him right out of it cus their too dumb to realize we got the edge on him....

Top Bottom