• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 thread: first time in school for NA players.

arias

Banned
Avalon said:
It's understandable. DDS really isn't unique... in fact, it's the opposite of unique. It's generic.

Going from an experience like Nocturne to DDS can really leave a lot to be desired.

But DDS was far more enjoyable to me, personally. Although it didn't really strike the "customization-nerd" part of me as hard as Nocturne did. Also, DDS had a fairly novel plotline for myself...

DDS1 ran along something like a Matrix template plotline, while DDS2 had very strong Buddhist/Hindu themes that ran all the way to its ending. Watching the DDS2 ending was seriously mind boggling to me, because I'm seeing an attempt to deliver a message that is really profound and not at all easy to understand. It also was not at all explicit, with some of the messages being given through the visual presentation of things.. The content was really quite asian in considered thought; and I fear the message came across cheesy or typical for westerners.

It's also one of the reasons why DDS stands alongside Breath Of Fire V, for me, as some of the greatest RPGs for the PS2. But then again I considered FFX to be quite amazing, so my opinion may be discounted :D

xvery

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Error said:
2008 it seems.
:lol Long wait. I was expecting Koei to pick it up. When was this announced?

Edit: Looks like it's happening. Game store sites here (UK) have it up for TBC or Q1 2008, doesn't seem to be an error since games which won't be coming like Odin Sphere aren't in the system.

Avalon

pancakesandsex said:
it honestly sounds like you didnt play DDS till the end. the 1st one was really cool, and the 2nd just builds off that.

This directed at me? I played both games to completion two times (Normal and hard) and I stand by my comment. Yes, they do have SMT atmosphere, music and character designs. That does not make up for it's generic structure. It's linear incredibly linear, has zero player interaction, has a abstract "unique" skill progression system and you pretty much fight from cutscene to cutscene (though, with heavier, more challenging gameplay sessions then most other JRPGs). DDS is R&D1's answer to Final Fantasy X.

I personally was a bit disappointed with the story in the end. The first game has a really unique setting and the story is really intriguing. The second game reveals that it's pretty much the same story we have heard many times. Reincarnation is a very popular theme in JRPGs and the story is pretty much just a cliche now. Xenogears/saga, Breath of Fire V, Nocturne... It's not something we need to hear again for a while.

arias

Banned
Avalon said:
I personally was a bit disappointed with the story in the end. The first game has a really unique setting and the story is really intriguing. The second game reveals that it's pretty much the same story we have heard many times. Reincarnation is a very popular theme in JRPGs and the story is pretty much just a cliche now. Xenogears/saga, Breath of Fire V, Nocturne... It's not something we need to hear again for a while.

DDS2 is more about enlightenment than reincarnation.

Avalon

arias said:
DDS2 is more about enlightenment than reincarnation.

I meant to type Samsra, though, it all turns into the same thing in the end.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I really did enjoy my time with it. But it is pretty typical.

Avalon said:
It's understandable. DDS really isn't unique... in fact, it's the opposite of unique. It's generic.

Going from an experience like Nocturne to DDS can really leave a lot to be desired.

generic? :lol

god i love rpg elitists

Ravidrath said:
Also, pretty early on you'll get Personae with Auto-Kaja abilities, which are very nice. If you can fuse something with all three Autos (Taru/Raku/Suku), you can save yourself a lot of SP.

Which Persona is that? I'm about 8 hours in and haven't found it. I just keep seeing the same 4 over and over again.

NichM

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Which Persona is that? I'm about 8 hours in and haven't found it. I just keep seeing the same 4 over and over again.

Are you fusing them, or relying on the ones you get from after-battle shuffles? Cause you won't get very far that way.

Avalon said:
This directed at me? I played both games to completion two times (Normal and hard) and I stand by my comment. Yes, they do have SMT atmosphere, music and character designs. That does not make up for it's generic structure. It's linear incredibly linear, has zero player interaction, has a abstract "unique" skill progression system and you pretty much fight from cutscene to cutscene (though, with heavier, more challenging gameplay sessions then most other JRPGs). DDS is R&D1's answer to Final Fantasy X.

I didnt see the plot as "generic" but i can see where you are coming from with the linearity and somewhat on the character growth system. I really dont see the comparison to FF X for the skill system as being anything more than a superficial one though because the inner workings are completely different. they jusy decided to lay it out on a grid so of course it must be because of FF X.... (i never liked that comparison, i think it was mentioned in a review of the game as well)

and although the games are fairly linear the choices you make do affect what goes on in some way.

Ravidrath

Avalon said:

I was disappointed by DDS2, overall. It's mostly because the second one seemed really mismatched to the first - it's like they made a blockbuster action movie sequel to an indie flick. The two narratives felt pretty mismatched, not only because of the different pacing and feels, but it seems like they missed a lot of important story and direction notes that would've made it more satisfying. The constant story deaths bothered me, too, because of how they'd effect my party and elemental balance that I'd worked so hard to attain.

I got the feeling that DDS2 didn't turn out quite as it was intended to, either... Like, say, the first one went over schedule and/or budget, and things had to be cut from the second as a result. I was able to rush through it much faster than the first game, and you were constantly being shunted from one major event to the next, with little opportunity to explore. After the first game, Iwas pretty surprised when I found myself in the last dungeon after only 20 hours, too, not nearly as deep in my abilities grids as I'd expected to be. Shame, too, because the DDS2 ability system was so much better than the DDS1's.

Still a good game, just not quite the ending to the first I'd hoped for.

Ravidrath said:
I was disappointed by DDS2, overall. It's mostly because the second one seemed really mismatched to the first - it's like they made a blockbuster action movie sequel to an indie flick. The two narratives felt pretty mismatched, not only because of the different pacing and feels, but it seems like they missed a lot of important story and direction notes that would've made it more satisfying. The constant story deaths bothered me, too, because of how they'd effect my party and elemental balance that I'd worked so hard to attain.
I got the feeling that DDS2 didn't turn out quite as it was intended to, either... Like, say, the first one went over schedule and/or budget, and things had to be cut from the second as a result. I was able to rush through it much faster than the first game, and you were constantly being shunted from one major event to the next, with little opportunity to explore. After the first game, Iwas pretty surprised when I found myself in the last dungeon after only 20 hours, too, not nearly as deep in my abilities grids as I'd expected to be. Shame, too, because the DDS2 ability system was so much better than the DDS1's.

Still a good game, just not quite the ending to the first I'd hoped for.

this is probably the only thing that TRULY annoyed me.....other than that, I was quite satisfied with DDS2 and thought the saga was just all sorts of wonderful :D ....well except Meganada (>__<)

Danj

Sage00 said:
:lol Long wait. I was expecting Koei to pick it up. When was this announced?

Edit: Looks like it's happening. Game store sites here (UK) have it up for TBC or Q1 2008, doesn't seem to be an error since games which won't be coming like Odin Sphere aren't in the system.

Koei have picked it up, but they haven't announced it yet. I emailed them about it and got this reply:

Mikey Foley said:
Hi Dan

We will be releasing Persona 3 in the UK. An announcement will be made about this very soon and the game is scheduled for release before the end of the year. I'm afraid that is all I can say at this time.

Regards
Mikey

Guess I'll wait for the UK release :)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Danj said:
Koei have picked it up, but they haven't announced it yet. I emailed them about it and got this reply:
Guess I'll wait for the UK release :)
O: Before the end of the year! :D

You make alot of bad games, but I still love you for publishing these titles here, Koei.

Lain

I am gonna end double dipping on P3. I want the Atlus USA version, but I also want to be able to play it on my PS3 (given it will have no BC problems), so I'll have to buy the Koei one as well.

Danj

Sage00 said:
O: Before the end of the year! :D

You make alot of bad games, but I still love you for publishing these titles here, Koei.

I was quite shocked too, I was expecting 2008 for sure.

NichM

Banned
I don't know if there's been a PSM score thread yet, but Persona 3 snagged its third Game of the Month award in the latest issue. Got a 9.0.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
sweetness. I heard about PSM giving p3 9/10 but not that it was their gotm.

2 more weeks omg.

tanod

when is my burrito
I have a couple questions:
What's the RRP on this game?
Does it come with the artbook or is that a seperate thing for pre-orders?

Reilly

tanod said:
I have a couple questions:
What's the RRP on this game?
Does it come with the artbook or is that a seperate thing for pre-orders?
Unfortunately, they all come with the art book. That's why we're all waiting an extra 3 weeks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just to reiterate my curiousity about a very small issue--any reason to believe this won't look good on PS3+HD?

tanod

when is my burrito
Reilly said:
Unfortunately, they all come with the art book. That's why we're all waiting an extra 3 weeks.

Sweet. That means I can get it for a normal price.

If I can finish the RPGs I have right now, I'll be picking this one up, but it's not too likely considering I haven't finished FF12 and I'm trying to get through another playthrough of DQ8 and FF8 at the same time.

Maybe I'll get to it next year, and I can pick up Odin Sphere at the same time.

hyp

i've been having a PS2 SMT marathon the past 2 months in preparation. the press-turn system is the best thing to happen in RPG gameplay ever. i <3 it so much.

finished DDS1, about halfway through DDS2 -- after that, i'm going all out with nocturne. i can't believe i slept on this series for so long. *slaps self*

Reilly

hyp said:
i've been having a PS2 SMT marathon the past 2 months in preparation. the press-turn system is the best thing to happen in RPG gameplay ever. i <3 it so much.

It's great the first time you play with it. I'm kinda sick of it being in every SMT game though. (or some form of it).

Avalon

Reilly said:
It's great the first time you play with it. I'm kinda sick of it being in every SMT game though. (or some form of it).

It is getting kind of old. Maybe they will bring back some old staples in the next games.. formations and such would be awesome.

kiryogi

Banned
AstroLad said:
Just to reiterate my curiousity about a very small issue--any reason to believe this won't look good on PS3+HD?

Well the thing is, P3 isn't exactly a technical marvel. It's certainly not a high geometry game. The art style is what carries the game and that doesn't change even @ 720.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
kiryogi said:
Well the thing is, P3 isn't exactly a technical marvel. It's certainly not a high geometry game. The art style is what carries the game and that doesn't change even @ 720.

Yeah, that's more or less what I figured. I just don't want it to look all messed up like Wii RE4 but I think that's unlikely given the graphical style. Been a while since I played a JRPG so I'll be picking it up.

Ravidrath

AstroLad said:

I looks better than on PS2, I think. Obviously not much, but the smoothing does improve the look.

NichM said:
Are you fusing them, or relying on the ones you get from after-battle shuffles? Cause you won't get very far that way.

I'm fusing them whenever I can produce one with a social link that I have. I have the "angry apostrophe" Persona right now and he's the only one that has any buffing skills, but they're all single target.

Woo-Fu

Banned
AstroLad said:

SMT: Devil Summoner looks fine on a ps3+HD, for what that is worth.

Ravidrath

nakedsushi said:
I'm fusing them whenever I can produce one with a social link that I have. I have the "angry apostrophe" Persona right now and he's the only one that has any buffing skills, but they're all single target.

Don't limit yourself to only things you have active links for. Having Personae of the right arcana makes your links grow faster, too, and early on they come with most of their defining abilities without needing to level up.

Souther

Banned
I just got Nocturne in excellent cond, complete(music cd aswell) today for 12US.

I'm pretty happy since i know that this game is rare and goes for quite a bit of $$$

I also erased my Nocturne save file and my DDS1 save file...I had not played these games in umm like 6 months so i thought it might just be good to start clean.

before i forget, How is Persona 2: EP. I was thinking about picking it up.

Avalon

Battle system will feel dated, everything else holds up nicely though. There are a lot of neat gameplay aspects and it has an amazing cast of characters.

Souther

Banned
Avalon said:
Battle system will feel dated, everything else holds up nicely though. There are a lot of neat gameplay aspects and it has an amazing cast of characters.

Cool.

Does it have an awesome soundtrack like pretty much every SMT game?

Avalon

Souther said:
Cool.

Ah, the sound from Persona 2 is a bit different from what you've probably heard so far. It's excellent though, I doubt you will be disappointed. Game has surprisingly good VA too.

Souther said:
Cool.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment had a strong techno and ambient vibe to it for a soundtrack with bits of industrial.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin was more J-pop and techno with some ambient.

All of it is good, but there should be more rap in video games IMO.
Especially hardcore westcoast styled gangster rap, especially in the FF series. :lol

Sirusjr

Banned
KibblesBits said:
All of it is good, but there should be more rap in video games IMO.
Especially hardcore westcoast styled gangster rap, especially in the FF series. :lol
oh god please keep the rap to the racing games and def jam. Custom soundtracks on the 360 ftw.

hyp

here's a question for you SMT faithful (hopefully those that have played a review copy of P3 or the import as well). do you think that playing P3 before nocturne is a good or bad idea? i'm trying to do an SMT marathon right now which consists of playing DDS1 & 2, then nocturne, then eventually P3. but if i can't get to nocturne, then i was thinking of going straight to P3. i just don't want nocturne to feel "inferior" if P3 ends up as the best SMT game to date.

do you think the games will be different enough that i can enjoy either no matter what order i play them?

Tamanon

Banned
They're totally different games. Nocturne is a grindfest that's more about the battle system, Persona 3 is a story-driven RPG.

Avalon

Tamanon said:
They're totally different games. Nocturne is a grindfest that's more about the battle system, Persona 3 is a story-driven RPG.

Character driven.

Yeah, they are way too different. Playing Nocturne before DDS (or vise versa) might dampen your enjoyment though.

hyp

cool, that's good to know. i think it was a good idea for me to play DDS before nocturne to get a grasp on the skills and gameplay. i decided to do so since demon fusion is tedious and such an integral part to SMT:N. i guess you could say DDS is on the "lighter" side, gameplay wise. still a blast to play though with some nice hardcore elements thrown in.

Ravidrath

I'd kind of say that P3 is a story/character-driven grindfest, because it is random dungeon-based and frequent trips are needed if you want to make the best personae, etc.

Not a knock, though - grinding for story and cool personae is much better than grinding for grinding.

The constant story deaths bothered me, too, because of how they'd effect my party and elemental balance that I'd worked so hard to attain.

I was glad that Atlus made such a bold choice in the game. It made me appreciate it more. Then again, I had an even balance of spells throughout my party so it was never a problem.

I have the "angry apostrophe" Persona right now

I find it funny that I actually know which one you're talking about haha.

Save the best for last. That is Nocturne.

True dat. I need to finish up hard mode after replaying both DDS' for the 3rd time (trying to get those final Mantras which take a BUTTLOAD of money and grinding so I can face the hardest optional bosses.)

Avalon

diablopanqueque said:
I was glad that Atlus made such a bold choice in the game. It made me appreciate it more. Then again, I had an even balance of spells throughout my party so it was never a problem.

It was a neat story device... but it sort of crossed a line. It was the first time I could remember a Megaten game compromising gameplay for story reasons.

EDIT: The whole AI thing in P3 is another, but I'll let it slide since character development is such integral part of Persona.

Reilly

Playing Nocturne first, before any of the new SMT games, is quite a joy because seeing and aquiring every 100 or so demons is the best part of the game. Every demon is unique, although, there are some re-colors. But there are only a handful.

Plus, Nocturne's demons have a "cel-shaded" type style to them that's missing in the following games.

Playing through DDS1/2, it's like: "oh, I've already seen that demon and I know it's strengths/weaknesses." There are some new ones, but they aren't as neat.

I like Devil Summoner's new demons over DDS 1/2.

hyp said:
i decided to do so since demon fusion is tedious and such an integral part to SMT:N. i guess you could say DDS is on the "lighter" side, gameplay wise. still a blast to play though with some nice hardcore elements thrown in.

Nothing is more tedious than spending hours devouring monters to learn useless spells.

Top Bottom