• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 thread: first time in school for NA players.

NotMSRP

281719b.jpg

hyp

Reilly said:
Nothing is more tedious than spending hours devouring monters to learn useless spells.

i don't find it very tedious. it's pretty natural, i usually have a full skill set of a character completed by the time i reach the next save point. and for the most part, enough money to unlock another portion of the grid. i don't even devour enemies as much as i should.

i don't mind learning "useless spells" and unlocking parts of the mantra grid, etc. sure, it's linear, but it's also rewarding. who knows, maybe once i finally beat DDS2, i will be shown the light that is nocturne, or not. it's a good thing "enjoyment" is subjective, because it really sounds like your experience w/ nocturne made every subsequent SMT PS2 game feel inferior.

Reilly

hyp said:
it's a good thing "enjoyment" is subjective, because it really sounds like your experience w/ nocturne made every subsequent SMT PS2 game feel inferior.

I'm not alone in my experience.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
hyp, it seems DDS killed rilley's dog because he has been trolling the game for a good while now.

hyp

Error said:
hyp, it seems DDS killed rilley's dog because he has been trolling the game for a good while now.

i knew serph was a savage... but c'mon now, that's pretty ****ed up if you ask me. how could the embryon stoop so low.

my condolences, reilly.

Jirotrom

I watched the 45 minutes last night... My God what a great intro into the battle system and really game overall. Voice acting is pretty good and doesn't make me grimace, the cut scenes add to the experience. Really the wait just became harder as I was really trying not to spoil the game for myself but now I really want this.

Mandoric

Banned
Shouta said:
If those names are from the English version, kinda interesting how they renamed some of them.

Most of the possible renamings make sense, possibly even moreso than the standard names; since the Four Gods -do-, after all, derive from Chinese myth, why not use Chinese names?

Not too enthused about Pyro Jack, though, to be honest. :lol

Shouta

Mandoric said:
Most of the possible renamings make sense, possibly even moreso than the standard names; since the Four Gods -do-, after all, derive from Chinese myth, why not use Chinese names?

Not too enthused about Pyro Jack, though, to be honest. :lol

Since they were being so Japanese with the translation, I don't see why they couldn't stick with the Japanese version of the names. I mean, the game does take place in Japan. I don't think you'll be seeing a bunch of Japanese kids refering to them by the original names. :lol

Jirotrom said:
I watched the 45 minutes last night... My God what a great intro into the battle system and really game overall. Voice acting is pretty good and doesn't make me grimace, the cut scenes add to the experience. Really the wait just became harder as I was really trying not to spoil the game for myself but now I really want this.

I youtubed the video for easier access/distribution so as to hype the game. Link it folks. Anywhere...This game needs more praise.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ljwvYA2RHA

NotMSRP

From the 42min video, Junpei has the best voice.

Original name of Pyro Jack is Jack o' Lantern, right? Why the name change?

From Wikipedia, "One brother is a snowman called Jack Frost and the other is a pumpkin called Pyro Jack or Jack O'Lantern." If so, then I guess it makes more sense as Pyro Jack.

NotMSRP

Pyro Jack is an Atlus USA invention.

Jack o'Lantern ジャックランタン is the original name.

Ravidrath

I'm guessing that they just didn't have enough character space for Jack O'Lantern?

Any others have names 14 characters or longer?

Mandoric

Banned
Ravidrath said:
I'm guessing that they just didn't have enough character space for Jack O'Lantern?

Any others have names 14 characters or longer?

There's several with 12.

Shouta said:
Since they were being so Japanese with the translation, I don't see why they couldn't stick with the Japanese version of the names. I mean, the game does take place in Japan. I don't think you'll be seeing a bunch of Japanese kids refering to them by the original names. :lol

To some extent, sure, but given they're all fusion-only and introduce themselves... :D

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jesus christ you guys are even looking at the Persona roster, just 2 more weeks dont spoil the game for yourselves!

diablopanqueque said:
The one thing that bothers me though is that the reviews ONLY mention Tartarus as a dungeon in the game and haven't referred to the others.

I thought that would be the only dungeon? There are other places you end up fighting Shadows throughout the story, but Tartarus is the one you return to for most of the game.

Ravidrath

nakedsushi said:
I thought that would be the only dungeon? There are other places you end up fighting Shadows throughout the story, but Tartarus is the one you return to for most of the game.

The other areas are short, too, and not really "dungeons", but small staging areas for boss encounters. Tartarus is the only thing that qualifies as a "dungeon".

Avalon said:
With the exception of the new Persona, all of those were designed by Kaneko.
As far as I know, Kaneko had barely anything to do with the art of Persona 3 unless you're saying this is art from previous games that are being used here. If so then the style looks pretty different from what I'm used to seeing.

Avalon

Systems_id said:
As far as I know, Kaneko had barely anything to do with the art of Persona 3 unless you're saying this is art from previous games that are being used here. If so then the style looks pretty different from what I'm used to seeing.

They were redrawn for Persona 3, but the original designs were done by Kaneko.

A good deal of them are redrawn, but there's a substantial amount I've never seen before. I was happy to see that.

I never liked the Pyro Jack change either. You'll notice he was called Jack Lantern in Jack Bros. on the Virtual Boy as well, well before even the original Persona came out here.

diablopanqueque said:
I youtubed the video for easier access/distribution so as to hype the game. Link it folks. Anywhere...This game needs more praise.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ljwvYA2RHA

How did you do that anyway? When I first tried it spit it back out at me since it was over 10 minutes.

I do have a full resolution Divx version of this if anyone really cares to see it. I just don't feel like blowing my bandwidth on it... so I'd need a different distribution method.

----

My only suggestion to every one when they get this game is to make a 1,000 Yen offering at the Shrine every chance you get. Beyond that, do what you want. The entire game is practically based on just making different choices and it's hard to skew most of them as "bad".

Teasel

Semjaza Azazel said:
How did you do that anyway? When I first tried it spit it back out at me since it was over 10 minutes.
he's a director,though i don't know how you do become a director on youtube

One aspect of the game I'm curious about: What's Tartarus like? I know it's randomly generated, but does the generation engine create layouts that are fun to explore, or do the floors feel monotonous. Also, is there much variation to the look of the different floors? Or do the walls, doors, etc. look the same on all of Tartarus' floors?

chaostrophy said:
One aspect of the game I'm curious about: What's Tartarus like? I know it's randomly generated, but does the generation engine create layouts that are fun to explore, or do the floors feel monotonous. Also, is there much variation to the look of the different floors? Or do the walls, doors, etc. look the same on all of Tartarus' floors?

I don't know if this is really a spoiler (I'm just directly answering your question), but just in case. I know some people don't want to know anything at all going into it.

There's different "blocks" within Tartarus. After a set number of floors, you enter a new block. Each block has a different theme with significantly different graphical components.

I've been happy with the randomly generated dungeons. There are certain floors that have a static design that are always the same, some that are always going to be smaller (despite still being random) and some that just seem insanely large compared to the others in the same block.

I'm a decent amount into it, although nowhere near the top... and at this point I've not found it to be a point of complaint. It helps immensely that you can see enemies ahead of time and split your team up if you wish to.

Top Bottom