• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 thread: first time in school for NA players.

Avalon

chaostrophy said:
One aspect of the game I'm curious about: What's Tartarus like? I know it's randomly generated, but does the generation engine create layouts that are fun to explore, or do the floors feel monotonous. Also, is there much variation to the look of the different floors? Or do the walls, doors, etc. look the same on all of Tartarus' floors?

I wouldn't expect Nocturne/DDS multi-tier style environments.

Curious about this myself... from the looks of it, looks like it will pretty generic dungeons designs. The look of the floors change every ten or so floors I believe.

jvalioli

Semjaza Azazel said:
A good deal of them are redrawn, but there's a substantial amount I've never seen before. I was happy to see that.

I never liked the Pyro Jack change either. You'll notice he was called Jack Lantern in Jack Bros. on the Virtual Boy as well, well before even the original Persona came out here.

How did you do that anyway? When I first tried it spit it back out at me since it was over 10 minutes.

I do have a full resolution Divx version of this if anyone really cares to see it. I just don't feel like blowing my bandwidth on it... so I'd need a different distribution method.

----

My only suggestion to every one when they get this game is to make a 1,000 Yen offering at the Shrine every chance you get. Beyond that, do what you want. The entire game is practically based on just making different choices and it's hard to skew most of them as "bad".
Stage6.divx.com?

I don't know why I'm suggesting things, I've been avoiding Persona 3 media anyway.

Avalon said:
I wouldn't expect Nocturne/DDS multi-tier style environments.

Curious about this myself... from the looks of it, looks like it will pretty generic dungeons designs. The look of the floors change every ten or so floors I believe.

The blocks are larger than 10 floors, at least the ones I've been to. The first, I believe, is more like 20 or 25.

Avalon

Semjaza Azazel said:
The blocks are larger than 10 floors, at least the ones I've been to. The first, I believe, is more like 20 or 25.

Thanks.

Am I correct in expecting pretty primitive dungeon designs?

Avalon

Semjaza Azazel said:
More or less. They're obviously going to be block based due to the system it uses, but for the most part they work out fine.

Cool. How challenging is it to navigate the floors? Are they pretty big, will it actually take some time to find the stairs? From the videos I've seen, they appear to be on the small side.

Avalon said:
Cool. How challenging is it to navigate the floors? Are they pretty big, will it actually take some time to find the stairs? From the videos I've seen, they appear to be on the small side.

I'm just spoilering every thing, it's easier. Nothing major here though. :D

Well, again, I'm not as far as many posters here obviously... But most of the floors I have seen are of a decent size. Some are smaller and some are significantly larger. I mean, no single floor has compared to something like in DDS or Nocturne, but the game isn't really aiming for that. Considering you'll be tackling many floors at a time, this isn't really a bad thing.

The game has an auto-map feature that updates as you search the floor. It will show the stairs, enemies, treasure and so forth. You're not going to get lost. Since your team can split up, they might even find the stairs before you and ask if you'd like to proceed... but personally I like making sure I've found all of the items first.

Ravidrath

chaostrophy said:
One aspect of the game I'm curious about: What's Tartarus like? I know it's randomly generated, but does the generation engine create layouts that are fun to explore, or do the floors feel monotonous. Also, is there much variation to the look of the different floors? Or do the walls, doors, etc. look the same on all of Tartarus' floors?

There are some other variants, too. Sometimes you'll get a floor with no enemies on only treasure, sometimes you'll get a floor with lots of enemies and double exp., and sometimes you'll get a floor with fewer enemies than usual. There are rare golden enemies, too, that run away if you don't sneak up on them and drop valuable coins, and twice I've gotten floors with ONLY them on them.

Avalon said:

I'm currently on
the 2nd block
and it's not that hard. Each floor only takes me a few minutes to find the stairs. They seem pretty small. I use the right-hand labyrinth rule and find the stairs pretty easily on each floor.

I would say, realistically, if you're just aiming for the stairs you'll find them pretty fast. If you're looking for every thing else, it'll take a bit longer... and obviously sometimes you just want to level grind.

Ravidrath said:
and twice I've gotten floors with ONLY them on them.

It's worth noting that this only seems to happen if
you're re-visiting a floor. Mitsuru will say something to the effect of "there's a lot of enemies on this floor" in my experience. Helpful with some of those quests.

Does anyone find it odd that Atlus never buys the domain names for their games?

Devil Summoner was bought well after they announced it and the guy is still trying to sell it. I offered him $10 for it to see what he was looking for and he claimed (this was back in October mind you) that he had better offers. Still nothing.

Persona3.com was bought well after we knew it'd come here too. The guy who picked it up is in the business of re-selling domains. I got into some arguments with him because he was stealing my content (some of which was credited, but a lot that wasn't -- word for word, even pictures). Said he'd stop, didn't. Site got resold to some other guy, I finally got his host to just take all of my shit off of the site... then it went up for deletion and now yet another person owns it and is attempting to sell.

I don't really understand it.

Avalon said:
Needless expense? Not really sure what kind of benefits it would have.

It's like $10 a year, pretty much implies they'll easily get first place results for their games (they're on the first page anyway, but still), avoids these idiots profiting off of it and people who randomly want to find a website might just type it in.

I don't know, I'd think it'd be worthwhile... but maybe I'm alone lol.

Avalon

$10 a year? I don't know why. Certainly someone at Atlus could muster up $10.

Might be worth pursuing. These games have a habit of selling themselves though.

kiryogi

Banned
Theres a giant problem with those floors you guys are mentioning though....

Shinigami ends up showing up rather quickly compared to other floors. That scared the hell out of me and from that point on unless I was hunting those hands, I'll acutally heed Fuuka's warning

kiryogi said:
Theres a giant problem with those floors you guys are mentioning though....

Shinigami ends up showing up rather quickly compared to other floors. That scared the hell out of me and from that point on unless I was hunting those hands, I'll acutally heed Fuuka's warning

So that's what it was! I kept hearing some sort of chains rattling and thought it was time to make my way to the stairs as quickly as possible. Never really stopped to figure out what it was I was running away from.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah..
hearing Fuuka warn you then hearing those rattling chains was really unnerving. It's funny that when you're wearing one of those regeneration accessories, they make the same sound effect too. Then I started getting really paranoid XD

arias

Banned
Too many spoilers.. even those unspoilered.

I'm going to avoid this thread 4eva.

See you guys in 3 weeks..

dili

NotMSRP said:
Daisoujou.png

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x189/atm1986/?start=all

spoilers maybe?
good ol' daisoujou. He was responsible for helping me complete Nocturne the very first playthrough.

Good times

Well, I just paid in full for my pre-order, which is pretty damn late, but I got a really good deal from Amazon.ca; in addition, I find that the game shops in my area usually have no problem with stocking Atlus games. Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to play it until I finish another couple of RPGs in my backlog.

In addition, I also pre-ordered Growlanser: Heritage of War
because I am so very weak, damn you Atlus!

dili

I plan on pre-ordering Growlanser: Heritage of War also when I go to pick up Persona 3. Single print run,so I hope they even have it avialable to pre order when I go.

Hopefully Atlus rewards there hardcore fans like me with the localizations of either FES and/or Super Robot Wars: OGs for our undying support.

Avalon

dillenger said:
Hopefully Atlus rewards there hardcore fans like me with the localizations of either FES and/or Super Robot Wars: OGs for our undying support.

I hope so. After Growlanser, it's pretty much dead with nothing in sight.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
dillenger said:
good ol' daisoujou. He was responsible for helping me complete Nocturne the very first playthrough.

Good times

Me too! He was in my party for pretty much the whole game after I got him.

NichM

Banned
Avalon said:
I hope so. After Growlanser, it's pretty much dead with nothing in sight.

Do people not like Trauma Center? I thought it was popular, but hardly anyone seems to count it as a "real game" in the upcoming lineup.

Avalon

NichM said:
Do people not like Trauma Center? I thought it was popular, but hardly anyone seems to count it as a "real game" in the upcoming lineup.

I know there are people who do care about Trauma Center... Not me though, I don't own a Wii and I won't for a long time.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
NichM said:
Many fans are looking forward to the Trauma Center games (aside from a few), but the games you announced for the DS at E3 were completely underwhelming.

I'm sorry, Trauma-wha...? All those extra items from P3:Fes are kind of blocking my view. I'll be buying games for the systems I currently own, which means almost none of what was announced unfortunately. PS2 is not dead yet...

Flo

AgentOtaku said:
have to ask...anyone know if Persona2 works on PSP emu now?

It still has some graphical glitches, and there is slowdown (to the music) when in the menu's or conversations. Tested it with M33.

Tokubetsu

P3 will probably be the last game I buy new (Unless you know, FES gets localized) and probably my last Atlus game until I get a DS/ until you guys start releasing 360/PS3 games (Or you know, you guys localize FES).

Jirotrom

Tokubetsu said:
P3 will probably be the last game I buy new (Unless you know, FES gets localized) and probably my last Atlus game until I get a DS or you guys start releasing 360/PS3 games (Or you know, you guys localize FES).
you know they might start releasing games on wii.

Flo said:
It still has some graphical glitches, and there is slowdown (to the music) when in the menu's or conversations. Tested it with M33.

thanks friend!

on a unrelated note...how long you guys think until we see our first Megaten title on PS3?

Jirotrom

AgentOtaku said:
thanks friend!

on a unrelated note...how long you guys think until we see our first Megaten title on PS3?
in all honesty, I really don't think any time soon. I think they would make another PS2 one before the ps3. Also seeing how Nintendo is engulfing Japan, probably a Wii game.

Tailzo

I've e-mail KOEI UK:

mike@koei.co.uk

Regarding a future PAL release of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Hello.
I have heard that the pal release for Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, is set to be released early 2008. Is that correct? Also, will it work on a PAL playstation 3? Hopefully I've asked the right person.

Regards,
Lars

I got an answer regarding Persona 3 :

Hi Lars

Persona 3 will be coming to Europe soon. We will be making an announcement about this very soon. So please keep a check on all good gaming sites and there will be more news about it in the coming weeks.

Kind regards

Mikey

exarkun

This huge thread, the art, and the hype from 1up has convinced me to buy this game. Im so sad, giving into peer pressure like this...

JayDubya

Banned
Random questions that shouldn't matter, but they do since this is 3D and not huge cartoony sprites like Odin Sphere - 480p? 16:9?

Might buy it anyway, but I've also never played any Megaten games before so I'm also a bit concerned I might just be lost.

JayDubya said:
Random questions that shouldn't matter, but they do since this is 3D and not huge cartoony sprites like Odin Sphere - 480p? 16:9?

its 4:3 and 480i as far as I know (not a prob if you have a PS3 obviously)

...and don't worry about feeling lost in the series as titles are unrelated for the most part....Persona3 has nothing to do with Persona2 in particular (which is good as I missed 2 as well)

but if you really want a terrific place to start, then begin here:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/megaten/megaten.htm

...hell, I even reread the thing from time to time

el Diablo

Banned
Haven't kept up with the P3 news in awhile due to my annoyance of a lack of FES, anyone know what the latest news on that being localized is?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
el Diablo said:
Haven't kept up with the P3 news in awhile due to my annoyance of a lack of FES, anyone know what the latest news on that being localized is?
buy p3 and it will get localized.

el Diablo

Banned
Error said:
buy p3 and it will get localized.

:lol

Anyways, i would have if Atlus had gotten it out before the JP release of FES. However, now i need to know i'll get to play FES somewhere down the line before i get P3. Guess odds aren't too good since apparently Atlus has said nothing concerning FES in the last 2 mos. That being said, i'll let myself out, don't want to muck up your thread with this discussion again.

Danj

el Diablo said:
However, now i need to know i'll get to play FES somewhere down the line before i get P3.

Why do you need to know that? P3 is still a great game (by all accounts) even without the extra FES content.

Jirotrom

exarkun said:
This huge thread, the art, and the hype from 1up has convinced me to buy this game. Im so sad, giving into peer pressure like this...
watch the 42 minute opening and you wont.

ex0du5

Banned
JayDubya said:

Might buy it anyway, but I've also never played any Megaten games before so I'm also a bit concerned I might just be lost.

Simple....processing power. Odin sphere already ran with pretty bad framerates at 480i...so there's no reason to expect they could double the resolution and maintain the framerates they were getting.

Great stuff in here. I haven't played any of the earlier games in the series but I'm going to give this a go. I watched that 40 minute video and it really hooked me.

Top Bottom