• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 thread: first time in school for NA players.

Jirotrom

Union Carbine said:
Great stuff in here. I haven't played any of the earlier games in the series but I'm going to give this a go. I watched that 40 minute video and it really hooked me.
My god your avatar of IT scares me... any who, I showed the vid to my gf, and now she says I can't play it unless she is watching.

Jirotrom said:
My god your avatar of IT scares me...
I love Pennywise...
until he turns into a giant undergroud psychic spider from beyond the moon - WTF?

Back on topic, I just pre-ordered from Amazon. Can't wait.

You know what's kind of annoying?
Mitsuru's analyze ability isn't very useful when it actually matters. Like when I'm fighting a boss. Analyzing bosses seems to just give a bunch of ?? instead of telling me their weakness.

Avalon

nakedsushi said:
You know what's kind of annoying?
Mitsuru's analyze ability isn't very useful when it actually matters. Like when I'm fighting a boss. Analyzing bosses seems to just give a bunch of ?? instead of telling me their weakness.

That would make the whole thing way to easy don't ya think?

Battles are pretty much clinched once you figure out their weakness right? Analyze of any kind never works on SMT bosses.

Danj

Union Carbine said:
Great stuff in here. I haven't played any of the earlier games in the series but I'm going to give this a go. I watched that 40 minute video and it really hooked me.

I was already interested in this game, but I just got done watching the 42 minute video and I agree it was completely awesome. And the English voices don't make me want to claw my ears off, either! Bonus!

YYZ

Is there a CE of this game or is it only one SKU which has the collectors' stuff in it? I asked EB (in Canada) and the clerk said there's only one SKU. It was delayed because of CE content right?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
YYZ said:
Is there a CE of this game or is it only one SKU which has the collectors' stuff in it? I asked EB (in Canada) and the clerk said there's only one SKU. It was delayed because of CE content right?
every copy of the game will have the art book and soundtrack.

is the game tedious as it sounds? random Dungeon crawling being the big part of the game. can you save anywhere? leave the dungeon the come back to where you were?

momolicious said:
is the game tedious as it sounds? random Dungeon crawling being the big part of the game. can you save anywhere? leave the dungeon the come back to where you were?

Not any more tedious than your typical RPG. If fighting monsters and leveling up for hours at a time sounds tedious, then it might not be a game for you. The day-time gameplay is breaks up the dungeon crawling a bit and it's a nice time away from fighting things.

You can save at the 1st floor of the dungeon and there's a teleporter that can teleport you to set floors like the 4th, 10th, 14th, etc. You just teleport to the floor closest (without going over) the one you want to explore and make your way up through th stairs. But remember, for most floors, if you leave and come back, the layout/monsters/treasure will be different.

You can also find teleporters on each floor in case you want to go back to the 1st floor and save before a crucial point.

kiryogi

Banned
The game as whole is indeed a practice in tedium. However, its also more like where the more you put into it. The more you'll get out of it.

The death scene in this one is almost as good as the one in SMT: Nocturne. It makes me less angry when I die. Only a little less angry.:lol

Shouta

I got the EGM with the P3 review in it and man, it's a small half page section. You'd figure the game of the month would get more coverage.

Error

Shouta said:
I got the EGM with the P3 review in it and man, it's a small half page section. You'd figure the game of the month would get more coverage.
they always do that, game that gets great scores only get half a page yet games with low scores sometimes get 2 pages.

I bet Lair got 1 or 2 pages, same as blue dragon, neither scored as high as P3

Atlus being a small company cant afford more than half a page in EGM :x

NichM

Banned
Error said:
I bet Lair got 1 or 2 pages, same as blue dragon, neither scored as high as P3

Indeed, Lair and Blue Dragon both got two-page review spreads. On the other hand, Lair got about the same word count, and Blue Dragon's is only slightly higher. Only difference is really how large the screenshots are, and whether or not there's a sidebar (Lair gets an interview with Julian Eggebrecht, Blue Dragon gets... the mustaches of Mistwalker.)

Sirusjr

Banned
Reilly said:
No, it's not the full soundtrack, which makes it even more worthless.
Yeah i hate it when they pack in half assed soundtracks. I want the full soundtrack or dont call it a soundtrack.

Error

Sirusjr said:
Yeah i hate it when they pack in half assed soundtracks. I want the full soundtrack or dont call it a soundtrack.
you are getting that shit for free, man. jesus some people are ridiculous.

Sirusjr

Banned
Error said:
I know I am getting it for free but usually the single cd thing ends up being a best of thing. If it was the full soundtrack I could put it with my other soundtracks. We really need more english companies selling full versions of soundtracks like rosenqueen does on their site. It is really only worth it as a packin when the game doesn't have a soundtrack available to begin with like grimgrimoire.

Error

Linkzg said:
yeah, but im guessing thats because its on PS2.
I dont think that's a valid excuse, game got gotm should get a least a full page. besides it's stupid to give a game that scored 5.5, 6.0, 6.5 a full 2 ****ing pages.

Jirotrom

Error said:
I dont think that's a valid excuse, game got gotm should get a least a full page. besides it's stupid to give a game that scored 5.5, 6.0, 6.5 a full 2 ****ing pages.
EGM is a crap magazine that has a good rumor mill...jk, but seriously I agree with you, If its game of the month you think they would dedicate more pages to it so it could you know...sell.

Sirusjr

Banned
Lain said:
If you want the full soundtrack:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SVWC-7380
http://global.yesasia.com/en/prdTransfer.aspx/pid-1004514650/
Order it, it is not all that expensive, everything considered.
For people unwilling or unable to import (for whatever reason) tho, the soundtrack that comes with the game will be good enough imho to sample the awesome music of the game.
I would import the soundtrack if in this case I liked the music when i listened to the full soundtrack. I just don't like how atlus seems to give us these half soundtracks all the time.

Tamanon

Banned
Sirusjr said:
I would import the soundtrack if in this case I liked the music when i listened to the full soundtrack. I just don't like how atlus seems to give us these half soundtracks all the time.

I LOL'd. How dare they give you free stuff.

Jirotrom

Sirusjr said:
you could always just give it back to them.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Jirotrom said:
EGM is a crap magazine that has a good rumor mill...jk, but seriously I agree with you, If its game of the month you think they would dedicate more pages to it so it could you know...sell.

That is up to Atlus, not EGM. Atlus is the one who always undermarkets their American efforts, regardless of the quality of the game.

I'll walk into a gamestop when Persona 3 ships and I guarantee they'll say, "we only got two copies".

Woo-Fu said:
That is up to Atlus, not EGM. Atlus is the one who always undermarkets their American efforts, regardless of the quality of the game.

I'll walk into a gamestop when Persona 3 ships and I guarantee they'll say, "we only got two copies".

...not this again.

Jirotrom

so on 1up yours it was Shae that gave Persona 3 the lower score out of the others in EGM. It's still a great score for EGM but it totally surprised me considering all his praise.

Reilly

Error said:

I'm sure part of the $49.99 is going toward the artbook and the soundtrack. I would have rather just paid $39.99 for the game.

arias

Banned
Jirotrom said:
so on 1up yours it was Shae that gave Persona 3 the lower score out of the others in EGM. It's still a great score for EGM but it totally surprised me considering all his praise.

It didn't measure up to all the previous Personas for him, I think.

Danj

I can't decide whether I should double-dip on this or not... I don't really wanna spend money on games right now as I'm going to an anime convention next week, but with you guys undoubtedly going on about how awesome the game is once it hits on the 14th, I dunno if I'll be able to hold out for the UK release..

Error

his complaint was the random generated dungeons iirc. besides he gave ff12 the same score and he was gushing over it too.

fitch and the other dude scores were 9.5 each

TheMan

i know this is way off topic but i thought this would be the best place to ask this:

I decided to replay nocturne just for the hell of it and it finally clicked. Im really enjoying this game now but I have a question. Im in ikebukuro right now. Im ready to move on but I haven't defeated the monk demon with the candelabrum. Is it possible to move on and come back to beat him later or do I have to face him now?

Reilly

TheMan said:
I decided to replay nocturne just for the hell of it and it finally clicked. Im really enjoying this game now but I have a question. Im in ikebukuro right now. Im ready to move on but I haven't defeated the monk demon with the candelabrum. Is it possible to move on and come back to beat him later or do I have to face him now?

You need to beat Daisoujou before you can fight the 4 horsemen I believe. I don't think there is a point where he's missable after a certain point, though.

Anyway, he's not that hard. Just go beat him now.

Jirotrom

Error said:
his complaint was the random generated dungeons iirc. besides he gave ff12 the same score and he was gushing over it too.

fitch and the other dude scores were 9.5 each
Actually I remember him coming off as being disappointed with FF12 saying it lacked strategy and the depth of X, which I hated.

Avalon

Reilly said:
You need to beat Daisoujou before you can fight the 4 horsemen I believe. I don't think there is a point where he's missable after a certain point, though.

Anyway, he's not that hard. Just go beat him now.

Ya. You can level up if you want and come back later. He shouldn't be too difficult though, just protect yourself against Mind and Hama based attacks and you should be fine.

Mau ®

Did Nocturne or DDS had as much anticipation as P3? I dont remember them having a thread go this big before the actual release. I think the GOTM garnered the game more attention.

Good. More money for Atlus so they make SMT4... I wish :(

What if this game gets delayed again? Somehow every soundtrack CD made contact with a magnet so they had to reprint all of the CDs.:lol

Avalon

inthezone said:
Did Nocturne or DDS had as much anticipation as P3? I dont remember them having a thread go this big before the actual release. I think the GOTM garnered the game more attention.

Good. More money for Atlus so they make SMT4... I wish :(

I've always wondered... anyone have any idea of how much Atlus JP benefits from having SMT titles published in NA?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Systems_id said:
What if this game gets delayed again? Somehow every soundtrack CD made contact with a magnet so they had to reprint all of the CDs.:lol

Then...we wait longer?

Danj

Systems_id said:

Uhhh.. what? You know CDs are made of plastic, right?

Danj said:
Uhhh.. what? You know CDs are made of plastic, right?
As far as I know, magnets can erase data from a CD...at least that's what happend when I used a magnet on my dad's copy of Windows 95 when I was 11.:lol

Error

not happening, I'll be playing the game on August 15. drooling at more R&D1 goodness.

Danj

Systems_id said:
As far as I know, magnets can erase data from a CD

Are you sure you're not confusing them with hard drives? The foil on a CD is aluminium, which is not magnetic, so pretty much the only way you could damage a CD with a magnet is if you scratched the disc with it.

Danj said:
Are you sure you're not confusing them with hard drives? The foil on a CD is aluminium, which is not magnetic, so pretty much the only way you could damage a CD with a magnet is if you scratched the disc with it.
No but you are right, I just looked it up.

Top Bottom