• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Poster for "Dungeons & Dragons" upcoming film

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Still not feeling it. I've never been into D&D (American tacky and uncultured fantasy tripe), but still, the film should try and cater to those people who aren't just rabid fans.

Everything I've seen just looks like a Marvel film in a fantasy setting. If it reviews well I'll give it a go, but that's a big if.

JCK75

I mean I was cautiously optimistic, but very few movies don't suck these days so my hopes were not high..
but it looked fun and I want to see it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Looks harmless and fun and signal boosts the game/genre/medium to young hopefuls that didn't grow up when table top RPGs were vogue.

Can also feel for the people who want a serious Tolkienesque epic using the concepts of the established property, but I mean, let's look at it honestly here: No film company in 2023 is going to blow Fantasy epic scale money on an IP that was mostly relevant in the 80's as the scarlet letter on nerd's jackets that let the Star Wars fans know they've finally got a target to punch down on.

If you guys want serious/any more period of D&D in mainstream media, you'll need to be foot soldiers and try to promote this shit so that other directors and screen writers can have the opportunity to say "I want to adapt this into a film," without being on hard drugs first.

jason10mm

Gold Member
s8xglj4.jpg

I REFUSE to live in a world where there are DnfuckinD movies getting critical acclaim.

Doom85

s8xglj4.jpg

I REFUSE to live in a world where there are DnfuckinD movies getting critical acclaim.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

It’s not like there haven’t been prior fantasy movies/shows getting critical acclaim, and there’s nothing about the worlds DnD take place in that should prevent a good story with engaging characters being made.

What, because it’s based on a game? Bruh, Clue was based off a game, and it’s easily one of the best comedies of the 80’s.

Doom85

Looks harmless and fun and signal boosts the game/genre/medium to young hopefuls that didn't grow up when table top RPGs were vogue.

Can also feel for the people who want a serious Tolkienesque epic using the concepts of the established property, but I mean, let's look at it honestly here: No film company in 2023 is going to blow Fantasy epic scale money on an IP that was mostly relevant in the 80's as the scarlet letter on nerd's jackets that let the Star Wars fans know they've finally got a target to punch down on.

If you guys want serious/any more period of D&D in mainstream media, you'll need to be foot soldiers and try to promote this shit so that other directors and screen writers can have the opportunity to say "I want to adapt this into a film," without being on hard drugs first.

The IP is FAR more relevant now. Critical Role and Stranger Things boosted DnD sales by a fuck ton the likes the franchise has never seen. In 2017, the company estimated 12-15 millions players existed in North America alone. 2019 followed by 2020 were the highest in sales for the IP the company has ever achieved.

They don‘t need to sell this movie to young hopefuls, the young hopefuls already are into this and will likely buy tickets if the movie legit slaps.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The IP is FAR more relevant now. Critical Role and Stranger Things boosted DnD sales by a fuck ton the likes the franchise has never seen. In 2017, the company estimated 12-15 millions players existed in North America alone. 2019 followed by 2020 were the highest in sales for the IP the company has ever achieved.

They don‘t need to sell this movie to young hopefuls, the young hopefuls already are into this and will likely buy tickets if the movie legit slaps.

Indeed. It's more popular than ever. It's so big now, it's basically holding Hasbro up

CGNoire

It's both funny and ironic that this looks just as cheesy as the original movie.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind campiness or "fun and safe" mainstream style of film that this movie is obviously going for, since after all, the main goal is to make money.

But it just saddens me that us true hardcore D&D fans will never get to see the type of D&D movies we always wanted to see. There's decades of material like Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Drizzt, Dragonlance, Ravenloft etc that would be awesome with a high budget production done seriously, but seems like that will never ever happen.
100%
A D&D film with a serious tone and the budget required could turn out so good.
Minus any woke intervention of course.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

That's actually a fantastic point. I still don't really give streaming the credit it's due for having pull and influence. I'm too old, haha.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Going this afternoon. Can’t wait, been hearing awesome things. It sounds like it’s finally the Forgotten Realms movie we’ve always wanted. They just need to bring in Drizzt soon.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Are there Drow in this? If so, how did they depict them? Cause if this:
MJkNw2D.gif

Is cancel worthy then I'm not sure how we get Drizzt.

ManaByte

Gold Member
HOLY SHIT!

The movie starts in Icewind Dale. Chris Pine was a Harper. It’s set in Neverwinter but they mention Baldurs Gate and Waterdeep. They go into the Underdark and see Menzoberranzan from a distance. It’s truly a Forgotten Realms movie.

It’s also funny as hell. Laughed my ass off at a lot of it.

It’s like LOTR with how it respects the material but with the light hearted and fun tone of the Star Wars OT.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Oh wow he's a Harper? Shit they dug beneath the surface for this one. Definitely seeing it. I was hoping we'd see Waterdeep but Neverwinter is cool too I suppose.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Did it seem like you're watching a living game being played? Like each character is a player?
No not really. But the people who spend pages and pages here whining about how jokey the MCU movies are shouldn’t watch this, it’d probably kill them.

Although there is a great bit with Intellect Devourers in the Underdark where you could imagine the DM giggling.

The characters are on a quest like in any module but the focus is more on their banter and interactions than the plot itself and that’s why it’s so great. It’s seriously hilarious at times. Thinking back on it and it’s seriously one of my favorite movies in a long long time.
Oh wow he's a Harper? Shit they dug beneath the surface for this one. Definitely seeing it. I was hoping we'd see Waterdeep but Neverwinter is cool too I suppose.
Lots of deep pulls in this. It’s why it feels like a Forgotten Realms movie and not just a generic fantasy movie with the license slapped on it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Got to see it yesterday and had a great time and the audience we watched it with were having a blast as well. The CGI was hit or miss but I really didn't care because of how much fun the movie was. It's just unfortunate that it's officially coming out on March 31st because I'm guessing it's absolutely going to get steamrolled by the Super Mario Brothers movie 5 days later.

Just got out of IMAX, this was an incredible movie, way better than I was expecting. The characters were all very likeable, the action was bad-ass and most of all this movie was hilarious. One of the few blockbusters that made me continuously laugh out loud.

I won't spoil anything, but there's a certain dragon in this film that made me cry from laughter.

I highly recommend it.

9/10

ZehDon

Caught one of the preview screenings here. I guess we now live in a world where we have a good Dungeons & Dragons movie - never thought I'd live to see the day. Very funny, really honest, and entirely entertaining. It doesn't re-write cinema, but I cannot recommend it enough: a really fun movie well worth the ticket price.

The graveyard scene had me in stitches. Bradley Cooper's cameo caught me completely off-guard. Loved the one-shot chase sequence with all the transformations. Smiled at all the spot-on references.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Damn, didn't know this is in the Forgotten Realms setting. Now I'll have to watch it.
And it respects jt as much as LOTR respected its source material. It’s a hilarious movie but it doesn’t make fun of the setting. Neverwinter is exactly as it’s supposed to look. Menzo (the brief look you get at it in the distance) is perfect. Even the spells from the game are accurate.

pramod

Banned
Just came back. Like others have said, its just a safe, fun, dumb movie that gives u enuf laughs and entertainment and thrills to feel like u got ur moneys worth...its like eating cotton candy i guess. Its all fluff and mostly goes down easy and doesnt take itself seriously. At all.

Is it "woke"? Well i guess if u consider that the two main white males in the movie are the only ones completely useless and without any powers, then maybe yeah.

At least it doesnt blatantly set itself up for a sequel. That i can respect.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol i didn't realized that the super annoying screaming dude from jp fallen kingdom was in the movie:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Well that completely erase any chance of me seeing this thing.

Top Bottom