• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PSP Minis Thread

Kafel said:
Is there a PSP Mini recommendation thread ? What's your top 3 guys ? (I'm interested in games playable with the D-pad)
Tetris is also very good. Best Tetris game I've played since Tetris DX (on the Gameboy Color).

Kafel

Banned
Edgeward said:
Echoes
Blast off
Aero Racer

Do you work at Halfbrick ? I've tried all these games on the 360 Indie Games by the way.

Thank you for the ideas everyone. Very classic/basic, I thought I'd discover something new on the Minis service.

Rlan

Kafel said:
Do you work at Halfbrick ? I've tried all these games on the 360 Indie Games by the way.

Thank you for the ideas everyone. Very classic/basic, I thought I'd discover something new on the Minis service.

Age Of Zombies, the other Halfbrick Minis (and the game I worked on :p)

Takao

Banned
Kafel said:

Well, it's hard when you put "I want D-Pad only" games disclaimer, lol. Try Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess, it uses the D-Pad and is an original title.

I wish this thread was more active, so many fun games available in the minis category.

Picked up Young Thor, it's super fun, reminds me a lot of spyro for some reason.

depward

Yeah, I've had a lot of fun with a handful of Minis, especially Monsters (probably) Stole My Princess and Young Thor.

Zen

Banned
Square Triangle said:
I wish this thread was more active, so many fun games available in the minis category.

Picked up Young Thor, it's super fun, reminds me a lot of spyro for some reason.

I've been playing Young Thor, the combat system, limited as it is, is still able to give you a little creative freedom in dispatching your enemies, so much so that I've been finding it decently addictive.

Areo Racers is taking up some time, I don't think it's that hot as an actual racer, but the higher difficulty is perfect for bite sized challenges.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Because of the recent Qix-clone recommendation thread I picked up Fortix for $5. Had a ton of fun with it over the weekend. I aced all the levels on hard, not interested in the impossible difficulty, but looking forward to the sequel.

Recommended.

Withnail

My recommendation goes to Alien Zombie Death. A really addictive 2D platform shooter from Pompom (who also made the Mutant Storm games on XBLA and Astro Tripper on PS3). Great stuff.

fr4nz

I've tried PacMan CE today at Gamescom ... it's spectacular !!! day one for me whatever the price ...

pacmanCE_01.JPG

Btw, it seems to be a PSP only minis (not playable on PS3), like Tetris.

jvm

Gamasutra.
fr4nz said:
I've tried PacMan CE today at Gamescom ... it's spectacular !!! day one for me whatever the price ...

pacmanCE_01.JPG

Btw, it seems to be a PSP only minis (not playable on PS3), like Tetris.
I am crying with joy.

Also, PS3 is getting Pac-man CE DX, which explains the PSP-only thing, I believe.

Takao

Banned
If they're going PSP only, why not bump up to regular PSP PSN game like Uno? That way you could have online leaderboards and stuff.

Agent X

Takao said:
If they're going PSP only, why not bump up to regular PSP PSN game like Uno? That way you could have online leaderboards and stuff.

The only reason I can think of them keeping it a Mini is it was always advertised as such. In fact, it was one of the titles that were named back when the Minis program launched.

That said, I agree with you, in that it would be better for the game if they simply turned it into a "regular" PSP game now, so that they could include features like online leaderboards. It would also avoid the confusion caused by other "PSP-only" Minis in the past.

Takao

Banned
Gameloft's "Let's Golf" isn't completely horrible. Who knew?

They're going to have fun porting NOVA. FPS don't work on the PSP, and because it's a Minis title, no multiplayer. Good luck.

The Game Atelier sent us a robust press release regarding the release date of their mini: The Flying Hamster. Flying Hamster is an action-horizontal shooter that lets you control Newton a…well, a flying hamster to save his girl. This game will be released on Sept. 8th, 2010 priced at 6.99€. North American players will have to wait for future updates regarding the date of its release in their territories.

http://www.pspminis.com/3766/flying-hamster-release-date/

krae_man

Takao said:

They're going to have fun porting NOVA. FPS don't work on the PSP, and because it's a Minis title, no multiplayer. Good luck.

Everyone who bought it on the iphone over a year ago?:D

Takao

Banned
krae_man said:
Everyone who bought it on the iphone over a year ago?:D

Well the PSP Minis release is fairly old too, just never interested in it since why would buy the clone when I have the original (Open Tee 2)?

Agent X

krae_man said:
Nobody in their right mind would have bought the PSP Mini at $7 or $5 when it was $2 on the iphone.

You're right. As I've said many times before, there's no reason why it has to be this way. See post #480 in this very thread for an explanation of why.

On the bright side, it's on sale for $0.99 now. That's cheaper than a McDouble. :D I'll probably grab this game shortly before the sale expires.

DiscoJer

Agent X said:
You're right. As I've said many times before, there's no reason why it has to be this way. See post #480 in this very thread for an explanation of why.

The thing is though, unlike iPhone games, Minis have to be rated for each region. That's like $800 a pop, figure 3 regions, that's $2400. And you need a devkit (which some already have, but some don't, and is $1700).

The only hard sales figure I've read of is from Icon Games, they set a goal of 2500 sales for their Arcade Darts game (which they reached in two weeks).

http://www.indievision.org/?p=2170

I think that was like $4? So $10,000, or after Sony's cut, $7,000. And of course taxes, which probably takes another big chunk.

Maybe they would have had more sales at 99 cents or lower. But maybe they wouldn't have.

But I agree, iPhone pricing (and to a lesser extent XBLA/PSN-PS3) is really a thorn in the side to the PSP (and probably somewhat for non-Nintendo games on DSi and the 3DS). Even retail titles. Will people pay $40 for the same game that the iPhone gets for $10? (We've seen this already several times and it's likely only going to get worse).

Agent X

DiscoJer, yeah, I just got a similar answer from Halfbrick Phil in the thread about Angry Birds. And as I said in that thread, that makes sense, and I could understand a modest bump in price to defray costs of developing for a smaller userbase and/or needing to purchase a development kit.

On the other hand, we've seen games selling for iPhone for $1 or $2 that they're trying to sell for $5 or more on Minis. That's double, triple, or even more in a few cases. That's not modest. That's beyond "defraying costs", that's fleecing. I'm sure some of these developers who do this also wonder why their Minis games might be selling far less than the versions they sold to their "other" customers earlier for 1/2 or 1/3 the price.

I'm sure some of this responsibility is on Sony's shoulders, particularly the part about the need to submit for approval to multiple regions (and lowering the SDK price might help, too). But at the same time, the podcast interview I cited indicated developers had more control of this and could have pulled in the reins if they really wanted. In the interview, Mr. Gilray said that his name somehow ended up in two Minis games (I'm guessing he's referring to Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies, he doesn't say explicitly), and he spoke to the guys who did that, and asked "Why did you release it at the top price?" The response he got was, "Because there's nothing else out there and we can." He also felt confident that he'd be able to sell his own game on both iPhone and Minis for the same low price.

Takao said:
I put a couple hours into this yesterday while waiting in various Dr.'s offices with my wife, and it's accessible, straightforward and fun! For a lousy $1, everybody with a PSP should grab this right now! :lol

kassatsu said:
New mini leaked by ESRB.

Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter

http://www.psnstores.com/2010/07/carnivores-dinosaur-hunter-leaked-by-esrb/

Looks like a Turok game.
oh haha, awesome. not sure why they haven't handed all the carnivores games over to gog or something yet. wonder if the morons who own this now picked up all the other action forms stuff aswell. fucking crazy that they're gone after all this time.. and just after releasing their best game yet (cryostasis). :O

edit: hehe. psp controls on the ps3 version aswell yeah of course, and no option to change anything. that's awkward. guess I'll play it on psp

flak57 said:
Nope, it's a hunting sim with Dinosaurs. A pretty good one I might add.
Had it on PC a long time ago.
yeah. for anyone wondering (probably no one) these came out 1998, 1999, 2001

GothPunk

The discussion about pricing reminded me of JustAddWater's promise that their mini 'Vektar Beat' would release with price parity across PSN and iPhone. I think it was due out in May, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been released on the PSN. Does anyone know what happened to it?

DiscoJer

This is pretty cool: Laughing Jackal (who did Stellar Attack, Vibes, Cubix, and coming out this week - Ace Armstrong) just announced their next Mini will use the Fighting Fantasy license.

No real details, but I love those things as a kid. (I know there was a DS game based on those as well, but I never tried it...)

Anyway, if you like side scrolling shooters, you're in luck this week. NA gets the aforementioned Ace Armstrong, while EU gets The Flying Hamster. (Though both are on the pricey side)

PIX'N LOVE RUSH coming to Minis

Move, jump and shoot! Does it sound easy? Well, it is… at first. But then it gets much, much harder! PIX’N LOVE RUSH packs all you love in classic Jump and Run games into 5-minutes sessions where your heartbeat won’t resist the rush! And for those willing to challenge their endurance, the game also features an infinite mode.

Packed with 125 levels popping up in varying sequences, PIX’N LOVE RUSH feels different every time you play. Its finely tuned level design offers a consistent progression of difficulty and will have you fervently come back to try and beat your score!

Pixn-Love-Rush-1.png

Pixn-Love-Rush-2.png

Pixn-Love-Rush-4.png

Pixn-Love-Rush-3.png

Agent X

IGN posted a review of A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks!

http://psp.ign.com/articles/114/1141208p1.html

Overall score: 9.0!

They were extremely impressed with this game, complimenting both the affordable price and the surprisingly high production values. You can probably guess what the price is supposed to be, but PlayStation Plus members can snag a free download of the game today.

Zen

Banned
I'm thinking of picking up The Flying Hamster, That remixed retro Arcade Collection game, and I Must Run. I recently picked up Who's that flying?! That seems to get better even though it starts out slowly. before that I'd picked up Young Thor.

It seemed like fora while that there was virtually nothing coming to minis, but it seems like a lot of cool stuff is being released and on the way.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I got Pac-Man CE last night.

I'm playing it after playing DX on the 360 for a while, but it seems to be missing the 'huge combo ' element of DX that i loved so much. There seems to be a power pellet each side of the map every time it refreshes and with no discernible clear path, instead of the 'build up a huge line of ghosts, get a power pellet and turn on them for massive points' style of DX. Now, DX was my first Pac-Man game in years so forgive me if I sound completely clueless about the differences between it and CE :lol Am I playing it wrong?

julls said:
I got Pac-Man CE last night.

I'm playing it after playing DX on the 360 for a while, but it seems to be missing the 'huge combo ' element of DX that i loved so much. There seems to be a power pellet each side of the map every time it refreshes and with no discernible clear path, instead of the 'build up a huge line of ghosts, get a power pellet and turn on them for massive points' style of DX. Now, DX was my first Pac-Man game in years so forgive me if I sound completely clueless about the differences between it and CE :lol Am I playing it wrong?

CE DX has a lot easier huger and more obvious ghost chains, yes.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
HadesGigas said:
CE DX has a lot easier huger and more obvious ghost chains, yes.
Cool, just wasn't sure if i was missing something...

Makes me wonder why they didn't just release DX instead, given they launched at the same time more or less.

Takao

Banned
Wow, skip Angry Birds. The game chuggs. The slowdown wasn't all that bad since it wasn't affecting gameplay. But then you get to 1-21. It's more or less unplayable at that stage. Why do developers have such a hard time optimizing their ports to the PSP? It should run better given it doesn't have an OS running in the background.

I expect this from Ubi... I mean Gameloft since they DGAF about handhelds, and just basically make knockoffs of games already on the PSP. But here's Angry Birds, one of the most successful iOS games of the year and a Minis port we've known about since the summer. Chillingo charges $4 for a game that's free on other platforms where the game doesn't have slowdown.

I've also had the game crash on me a few times after I set it into sleepmode.

Avoid.

Top Bottom