• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PSP-PSone Download Thread (i.e my cry for help)

cvxfreak

At noon in Japan on November 22, PSone titles became available for download through the PlayStation 3 Network. They are 525 Yen each and require a Japanese credit card to purchase. PSP Firmware 3.00 is required, which you can find here. Titles available at launch are:

Arc The Lad
Biohazard Director's Cut (Resident Evil Director's Cut)
Konami Antiques MSX Collection Vol. 1
Konami Antiques MSX Collection Vol. 2
Silent Bomber
Jumping Flash
Bishi Bashi Special
Minna no Golf 2 (Hot Shots Golf 2)
Tekken 2

Impressions of the service go in here.

Does anyone <3 me enough to buy BH and send it to me? :(

White Man

Has a date or lineup been announced for the US PS1 store?

And these DLs will play on the PS3, too, right? I don't HAVE TO put them on PSP, right?

Surreal

White Man said:
Has a date or lineup been announced for the US PS1 store?

And these DLs will play on the PS3, too, right? I don't HAVE TO put them on PSP, right?

Not until another update around January. Right now they only play on the PSP.

Jonnyram

Tell you what. I'll test the service with something I actually want (err, either Jumping Flash or one of the Konami sets), and if it is easy to copy it off the MS and on to the PC, I'll get BH for you, ok?

Jonnyram

OK, if you're on MSN when I get home from work, I'll give you a buzz so we can test this... I'm not sure but I'm kind of scared there'll be something that ties it to my PSP. I mean, if there isn't, there's a pretty big potential for piracy.

White Man

Surreal said:
Not until another update around January. Right now they only play on the PSP.

Whaaaaaat? That doesn't make any sense at all. The PS3 is backwards compatible with all the games, so what's the reason for the DLs to not work on it?

Also, would I be able to get the games on my PSP via a USB cable? The wireless on my PSP is dead.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
OK, if you're on MSN when I get home from work, I'll give you a buzz so we can test this... I'm not sure but I'm kind of scared there'll be something that ties it to my PSP. I mean, if there isn't, there's a pretty big potential for piracy.

Like iTunes I think there's the ability to authorize up to five machines for a single game.

White Man said:
Whaaaaaat? That doesn't make any sense at all. The PS3 is backwards compatible with all the games, so what's the reason for the DLs to not work on it?

On that note I wonder if it's possible to burn these files onto CDs and play them back on modchipped PSones. Don't plan on ever bothering to try though.

Also, would I be able to get the games on my PSP via a USB cable? The wireless on my PSP is dead.

I think that's how it's done, especially for the 20GBs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
According to the manual, aren`t you unable to connect to the PS3 via USB? I thought it said you needed the 60GB PS3 to connect to the PSP.

RuGalz

I just tried to purchase something it seems like the site takes Visa or Master...

Edit: Never mind, the country for address is hard coded to Japan. :(

White Man

TheTrin said:
According to the manual, aren`t you unable to connect to the PS3 via USB? I thought it said you needed the 60GB PS3 to connect to the PSP.

Ohhhhh, shit, this had better not be true or Sony has f*cked everyone with a 20GB unit.

Matix

-(Source: *Rojura Blog*)-

06112201av4.jpg

06112205qj1.jpg

06112206ni9.jpg

06112207ri5.jpg

Matix

White Man said:
Ohhhhh, shit, this had better not be true or Sony has f*cked everyone with a 20GB unit.

You can download/transfer PS1 titles using both the 20GB + 60GB models (via USB PS3 -to- PSP), but for Remote-Play you need WiFi (which as of now is only offered in the $600 tard pack).

Jonnyram

TheTrin said:
Pretty sure that's just for Remote Play, which doesn't seem that great now anyway.

This morning before heading into the office I logged in and purchased a few games. I got:

Arc The Lad, Biohazard, Silent Bomber, and Jumping Flash. The download/activate/install process takes quite a bit of time so when you do this be prepared to wait a while and not use your PS3. For each game you will need to download some DRM related information and the game data to your PS3. After that the game will be moved to the PSP via the USB cable (it seems it can't be wirelessly transferred yet). The install to PSP process takes a very long time but once its there you can then go to the GAME section of XMB and just launch the game.

When you launch a game you are greeted with a text splash screen then the original PS1 logo and melody. From here its exactly like using a PS1. While playing you can put the PSP to sleep no problem and you can use the home button to assign buttons, screen mode (change aspect ratio or make it full screen), or view the software manual. The emulator seems to be pretty much perfect. The FMV and voices in games are exactly as I remember them and the actual games seem exactly the same.

The PSP's small screen and pixel density make the games look much better than they do/did on a normal TV and a bunch of my coworkers were surprised at just how good they look.

Matix

Jonnyram said:

PSP 3.0 User Guide said:
Starting the downloaded PLAYSTATION®Network title on another PSP™ system

To use the Memory Stick Duo™ media containing the PLAYSTATION®Network title on another PSP™ system, you must activate that PSP™ system. This operation is performed on the PS3™ system to which you downloaded the title. For details, see (Friends) > [PLAYSTATION®Network accounts] > [Checking / editing account information] of the PS3™ system software user's guide.

Good luck..

cvxfreak

So it seems we have to "activate" our PSP systems on the PS3 that downloaded the game in the first place.

Lame, but understandable. :(

Too bad I don't have a Japanese credit card yet. :lol

Jonnyram said:

I tried it on a different PSP than the one I initially activated and it didn't work.

kenta

Has no PEINS
ddk_ps3 said:
When you launch a game you are greeted with a text splash screen then the original PS1 logo and melody. From here its exactly like using a PS1. While playing you can put the PSP to sleep no problem and you can use the home button to assign buttons, screen mode (change aspect ratio or make it full screen), or view the software manual. The emulator seems to be pretty much perfect. The FMV and voices in games are exactly as I remember them and the actual games seem exactly the same.

The PSP's small screen and pixel density make the games look much better than they do/did on a normal TV and a bunch of my coworkers were surprised at just how good they look.
So awesome, thanks!

Matix

ddk_ps3 said:
This morning before heading into the office I logged in and purchased a few games. I got:

Arc The Lad, Biohazard, Silent Bomber, and Jumping Flash. The download/activate/install process takes quite a bit of time so when you do this be prepared to wait a while and not use your PS3. For each game you will need to download some DRM related information and the game data to your PS3. After that the game will be moved to the PSP via the USB cable (it seems it can't be wirelessly transferred yet). The install to PSP process takes a very long time but once its there you can then go to the GAME section of XMB and just launch the game.

Sounds very nice overall, but have you had any problems with the controls so far ?! Anyway, thx for the impressions.

kenta

Has no PEINS
What about save files? Are they saved in the PSP's typical SAVEDATA folder or are they somewhere else? Are they DRM'd up the butt or is there a chance to swap save files around?

Matix said:
Sounds very nice overall, but have you had any problems with the controls so far. Anyway, thx for the impressions.

So far no problems. I'm sure there will eventually be some games up that are a bit trickier but being able to re-map on the fly seems to be a reasonable solution as long as you dont have to manually constantly re-map back and forth. I guess a suggestion I'd make to SCE if that problem ever comes up is to allow you to toggle between keymappings automatically somehow.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Damn... I guess you can send me your PSP, cvxfreak :)

I guess I'd do that if this were Biohazard 2 we were dealing with. But since I already have Biohazard DS (in which DC would be a step back in a couple ways) I can live without it. Maybe in January when I visit. :)

Matix

Hmm, is it possible to download/play these PS1-Titles on a Non-Japanese PSP ?! I hope so, because sadly I'm pretty doubtful some these titles will be released outside Japan (really want Silent Bomber, and Jumping Flash again).

Too bad I don't have a Japanese credit card yet.

While it is generally difficult for a foreigner to obtain a Jpn credit card if you do not have a working Jpn friend/spouse/whatever to be your financial guarantor (if you were to apply online most likely than not you will be rejected straight off), you might stand a better chance if you were to apply for a credit card from a bank with which you have a cashing account with.

Alternatively Citibank would be good choice too especially since they do not discriminate against foreigners. So long as you have a steady job and make a minimum of 2 million yen a year, you're golden.
http://www.citibank.co.jp/ccsi/mail/200210/c/index2.html
(Needs IE)

Flo_Evans

haha that is so awsome! There are a couple of PS1 games that have been lost over time that I wouldn't mind paying 5 bucks to download again. EINHANDER BITCHES! A top down shooter like Loaded would be awsome too. Oh and I don't know if anyone remembers it, but Ghost in the Shell was a bad ass game!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's really cool to see PSP being able to emulate even better looking PS1 games so perfectly. Major kudos to whoever wrote that emulator. Can't wait to try it.

Matix

Ignatz Mouse said:
I wonder if we'll get GT1 or 2 on PSP before GT Mobile. :/

That would still do just fine.

LOL, sounds pretty likely. Hell, will probably see Final Fantasy 7 for download before Crisis Core is even released.

Anyway, after repeatedly watching the Tekken 2 vid (for far to long).. has me now dying for Soul Blade (make it happen Namco).

Matix

yamaneko said:
My top 5 games - PS1 on PSP

1- Chrono Cross
2- Alundra
3- Vagrant Story
4- Vandal Hearts
5- Castlevania SOTN

Eh, top 5.. more like top Top 20+ for me..

-Omega Boost
-Tobal 2
-XenoGears
-Parasite Eve 1
-Rival Schools
-Bushido Blade 1+2
-Bust -A- Groove 1+2
-Jumping Flash 1+2
-Panzer Bandit
-Gunners Heaven
-Soul Blade
-Ehrgeiz
-Vib-Ribbon
-Star Ocean: 2nd Story
-Persona 1+2 (Sin + EP)
-Trap Gunner
-Tail Concerto
-Klonoa
-Fear Effect 2
-Slap Happy Rhythm Busters

Jasoco

Banned
There's only one game I want.

Bubble Bobble Anthology. Best most arcade-faithful version of BB ever created. Even included cheats (Switches) for evtra lives, continues and level skipping. I would buy it in a heartbeat and it would remain on my PSP forever. (Once I get a PS3 that is.)

I'm only getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray. There aren't any and won't be any PS3 games I want for years. And if it weren't for Blu-Ray I wouldn't even consider it. Also, my PSP is lonely. Haven't played it in forever. Bubble Bobble would at least give it some love.

qirex

Ignatz Mouse said:
I wonder if we'll get GT1 or 2 on PSP before GT Mobile. :/

That would still do just fine.
GT2 is still my favorite of the series, I've been concerned that they might hold back on it because of GT Mobile.

BluWacky

GoncaloCCastro said:
I'm hopeful for an English Policenauts version, the Japanese version is good but i really want to fully understand the story.

Why on earth would Konami bother? The whole point is this is cheap and easy emulation stuff. If Policenauts got a proper PSP port then maybe, but given that it's a visual novel with a couple of shooting sequences it's hardly going to set the US sales charts alight (how did the Metal Gear PSP graphic novels do?)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
sucks that this requires a PS3. I would download Jumping Flash day 1 if it didn't (and actually get some use out of my PSP).

Top Bottom