• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official September 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

Opus Angelorum said:
Well 'Epic' would have to be a number no-one thought realistic, and he suggested 750k was crazy so...

Ah, yeah. Probably you're right. Well, it's the minimum. After all it's Halo3. But anyway, I estimated only a 30% increase of hardware's sales (and considered a 5-weeks-month apart of course). Crap.

When will the prediction outcome go live? Be interesting to see how far off people are this month, which seems to be a given with words like 'epic' being thrown around.

Perhaps the guy who put the 360 at 950k might be in with a chance after all.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I think that this will be a X360's fans fiesta.

Well, all signs point to it being the last one, so do not begrudge the cake, streamers, and mini-champagne bottle poppers. After all, the console will be naught but a fond, fair memory this time next year....

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, all signs point to it being the last one, so do not begrudge the cake, streamers, and mini-champagne bottle poppers. After all, the console will be naught but a fond, fair memory this time next year....

Ehm.....I don't think I've understood what you mean..... No, I'm not joking, sorry.

Opus Angelorum said:
Well 'Epic' would have to be a number no-one thought realistic, and he suggested 750k was crazy so...

I think 750k would be classed as Epic, 500k is impressive but only double an average quiet month, hardly epic

LukeSmith

Is there a list of Halo-related crow and ban bets relating to sales archived somewhere? I just want to brush up on the past a little bit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LukeSmith said:
Is there a list of Halo-related crow and ban bets relating to sales archived somewhere? I just want to brush up on the past a little bit.

Definitely want to see Halo 3's version of people predicting Halo 2 would stop at 2 mil.

BRING OUT THE QUOTES PPL

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Ehm.....I don't think I've understood what you mean..... No, I'm not joking, sorry.

No, I was just kidding and, in joking, referred to the slightly popular theory that MS was bowing out of the conference next year. Thus it would be a 360 fan's last opportunity to celebrate.

LukeSmith said:
It hardly means anything when the Wii can do that every month without Halo 3.

/damage control

Jokeropia

citrus lump said:
What would really be epic is if the PS3 outsold the Wii.

I'd probably avoid Gaf for a few days. :lol
If reason can be thrown out the window, why not have GC > 360?

Anyway, sounds like Sony will have a steep hill to climb.

LukeSmith said:

I recall stating somewhere, either here or another forum, that if Halo 3 got over 3 million in the September NPD I would eat my hat. (It was in relation to Pachter's predictions...)

Should I be reaching for the condiments?

BenjaminBirdie said:

Agreed , I feel the success of the 360 this holiday season will be all that it's competition needs to drive it out of the business. You are a wise man Birdie...wise.

sionyboy said:
I recall stating somewhere, either here or another forum, that if Halo 3 got over 3 million in the September NPD I would eat my hat. (It was in relation to Pachter's predictions...)

Should I be reaching for the condiments?

I thought the preorders alone were at 3 million.

Anerythristic said:
Agreed , I feel the success of the 360 this holiday season will be all that it's competition needs to drive it out of the business. You are a wise man Birdie...wise.

So I have been told, several times today.

Slavik81

BenjaminBirdie said:
The cake is a lie. It would be entirely unsurprising if the 360 outsold everything. I mean, it did in Canada.

It would be more surprising if the Wii outsold the 360. That would be a colossal upset and would make for an epic thread. The 360 outselling the Wii in one of the best months it will ever have*? Not so much.

*year on year.

oo Kosma oo said:
This NPD will be a bloodbath for Sony.

I'm not so sure about PSP, since PSP Slim came out. But I don't think we'll see a success as big as we've seen in Japan. Why ? Because Sony said nothing about the performance in USA. And there is a motivation.

[Nintex]

If Wii outsells the Xbox 360, MS can just pack up and leave the gaming industry. HALO 3 is their biggest game, combined with a pricedrop. What did Nintendo have? Metroid Prime 3 with no marketing at all and Reggie saying; "We won't have enough Mario Galaxy consoles this christmas."

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking MS would drop the 360 prices in reaction to the PS3 price drops. If the 360 does 500,000 plus then they may not need too.

Despite all the chest pounding that will commence when hardware numbers are released, I will quietly sob in the corner over the likely Prime Bomb. :*(

[Nintex] said:
If Wii outsells the Xbox 360, MS can just pack up and leave the gaming industry. HALO 3 is their biggest game, combined with a pricedrop. What did Nintendo have? Metroid Prime 3 with no marketing at all and Reggie saying; "We won't have enough Mario Galaxy consoles this christmas."

I don't think that Wii > X360 this month, but anway, what matters is software and Microsoft has an insane attach rate with its console. In fact, the fanbase is their biggest audience and in particular FPS fanbase, i.e. occidental tastes overall.

Talamius

Either way there's going to be a meltdown.

I think the bigger one will happen if Wii beat 360. If Halo 3 can't do it, what can?

Top Bottom