• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sonic Unleashed Thread Of Either "Endless Possibility" Or Sonic-Cycling It!

Anyone here get all the S-Ranks?

Over the weekend, I finished every town / hotdog mission and found all the medals. I've also managed to S-Rank everything in the days sans a couple boss battles in eggman land. Probably got less than 3 hours of gameplay to go.

In a nutshell: Game was pretty good, but there were a lot of things that kept it being great. Hub world was monotonous, mission structure was pretty bad, Chip, a couple of glitches and bugs here and there (Adabat I'm looking at you).

Ideally in my perfect world, they'd make a sequel without boost and the camera pulled back, this way they wouldn't have to make 300 miles of stage for it to last 3-5 minutes and it wouldn't be hold X and hit jump every one and a while. Seriously, the only enemies you have are endless pits and water.

Edit: Thoughts on the final boss.
WTF. That battle was so bad. Playing as a giant rock?! Running through the final boss having to boost with no sense of whats coming up?! A gimped version of NIGHTS?!
Chip fighting the final boss while Super Sonic deals with the tencales?! I said 'wow' probably 30 times. The Werehog part of that fight was the most enjoyable. /long rant

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
AwakenedCloud said:
Anyone here get all the S-Ranks?
Yes, I have all of them. I wouldn't want Sega to slow down Sonic in the next installment. I would like a proper use of Sonic's friends though. So in addition to Sonic levels in Sonic Unleashed's style, I'd like to see levels which play like Sonic's levels in Sonic Adventure 2 with Shadow or Knuckles running through them. But note: If I say "play like Sonic's levels in Sonic Adventure 2" I mean exactly that. No shooting or searching, just running and jumping!

goodcow

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/01/28/********-unleashed-sales-hit-2-million/

At best, it’s been a chore trying to get hard sales data for Sonic Unleashed in terms of quantity sold. At present, the “best” data anyone has to go off of is the continuing updates going on at ********.com. Their data shows that Sonic Unleashed, across all platforms, has hit the 2 million mark for sales–and that’s well before the next-gen version hits Japanese shelves.

It is the Wii version selling out the most, according to the site, with approximately 830,000 units sold. The XBOX360 edition follows with about 480,000. The PS3 version is trailing behind in sales with 350,000, and the PS2 is right behind its next-gen counterpart with 340,000.

If these numbers hold, it would show significant ignorance by gamers and consumers toward an overwhelming amount of reviews and press that, at best, gave lukewarm reception to Unleashed.

TSSZ News will work to confirm these numbers and find something a bit more concrete in the coming days.

RobbieNick

Rented the PS3 version last week. (I'm on a monthly account at Blockbuster and I'm running out of games to rent. I actually tried Golden Axe: Beast Rider. UGH!) I honestly don't see the big deal on frame rate. I played about four day and four night levels. The day levels ran very smoothly with a faster frame rate over the 360 version overall, but with the occasional frame rate hiccup. Night stages ran at 30 fps or slightly under, but at no level to actually affect gameplay. Even during the big boss fight at the end of the Apotos night level, I didn't experience any major frame rate problems. At least, none that weren't already in the 360 version.

I think many people's complaints is that they tried for 60 FPS when it's not constant. If they had kept it at 30, you probably would not be able to tell the difference between the 360 and PS3 versions.

Purchased The Sonic World Adventure soundtrack. Beautiful stuff. Well worth the $45.

Man, the end of this game is fucked up. I liked the game quite a bit but
making you hit x 60 times or you die is stupid. Plus the super sonic ending was a struggle because of the camera
. Overall though, I think it's a really solid game and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a fun and lengthy platformer.

Beware, massive TL;DR block of bitching ahead.

A while back I played through and beat the Wii version of Unleashed, and some of the secret missions. I generally enjoyed it, defended it, et cetera. I still would, because Dimps made a decent game out of it.

I bought the 360 version early this year, because I knew the Wii version was abbreviated and some of the extra Sonic stages I saw in videos looked entertaining. I just wasn't prepared for the sheer amount of bullshit one would have to deal with. I made some progress, had some things distract me for a while and put it aside, but the past few days I've been trying to crack back into it, and it's pissing me off badly at every bend.

It's strange how Dimps took the blueprints, and made a better game out of the Wii version with less content than the 360 side did, the latter adding pounds and pounds of useless extra padding, forgetting to polish the edges and streamline to make things really work.

Firstly, the 360 version is frustratingly hard, and needlessly complex. I don't understand why it is. I had a few troublesome spots in the Wii version, but it was generally acceptable. And the Sonic stages on 360, at least the default ones, aren't usually that bad, although I suspect they're getting there. The Werehog stages, on the other hand, quickly become frustrating almost from the get-go, and usually on purpose. It's amazing that they would even begin to consider this a kids or family property when they're making the game this tough. Mechanics that are slow-and-steady on the Wii version force you to rush on the 360 side, such as hanging from enemies or jumping from poles or shifting around blocks while enemies shoot at you. You're drowned in robots and creatures and golems and wizards who will be constantly taking shots at you, and who do annoying things like constantly turtle, switch to long-range weapons while off-screen, or just generally beat the hell out of you without much chance for respite. Those huge golems are so much more fatal than on the Wii, for example. They can injure you by just being close to them, your shield can be drained in a single casual swipe, and they can knock you further back while you're already knocked down.

Example: Right before I started writing this, I was playing in Empire City. I got to a point where there was a single golem on top of a building. I used my Unleashed gauge, tore him down to half-health, then QTEd him to death. That wasn't so bad. I went on, and eventually flubbed a crappy jump right before a checkpoint. The game set me right back at the start of the golem fight, with no Unleashed energy. Whatever, I started wailing on him. That's when I discovered the neat trick of that area. You see, if he knocks you down in any way, then he usually does his little shockwave jump, and before you can get up again, he knocks you off the building and kills you. Let's repeat, if he hits you right once, you're completely fucked, "It's no uuuuse!" style. You just fall into that green Superman 64 Kryptonite fog and start over again. Now, there are some powerups scattered around in the breakables (which get in the way of you seeing what's going on), but while you're hunting for them, near the edge, guess what attack he keeps doing? He tore through all 5 of my remaining lives that way, then the game happily slapped a "GAME OVER" in my face, and all my progress through the level was gone.

It doesn't help that the Werehog has terrible controls. On the Wii his combat mechanics were oversimplified, and he was slow to grab onto ledges, but he did pretty much without fail (it was extremely forgiving), so the worst it generally was was boring, except for the occasional wasp enemy. On the 360 side, he gets locked into performing all sorts of animations while fighting, jerking you around and occasionally missing (resulting in a pathetic slow motion hang and drift down as the enemies walk around you at normal speed, charging up punches). On the Wii there's no QTEs for standard enemies, and while I like the idea of them on the 360 side, not only did they idiotically put them on the same button as Grab, but if you fail one, you lose health and they gain health back. They gain health! What a damn joke. His controls can be finicky sometimes, refusing to jump from poles (that are collapsing while he screws around) and even his basic turning is awkward and jerky. I will also, happily, point out that balance beams are not in the Wii version, not to my memory anyway. Ironic, given the whole motion controls thing. Which you can ignore in the Wii version by using a Gamecube or Classic Controller.

Even the Sonic levels aren't devoid of this. What the hell is with the 360 version and QTEs? On the Wii version, Sonic does occasionally have to use a QTE in the level, but it's always the same. You can memorize it like any other part of the level. Which makes a sort of sense, since it's the same hazard Sonic is navigating through every time. On the 360? Oh of course it's random. That ramp that's LB RB Y one life is A Y RB the next is X X A the next is Y RB Y the next. It doesn't fit with the concept of why there would be a QTE in the first place, it's just random awkward challenge at that point. And there should never, never be a prompt on screen that says "X x 60". If your game's challenge is "Hit this button so much omfg", you have fucked up badly. I thought Sky Chase was going to be a fun little minigame, it was 10 minutes of QTE Hell. What in the flying fuck were they thinking?

I haven't even gotten into the unneccessary Level Up system. The Wii version does it by counting rings you've collected as Sonic in that level only, and through a very linear progression as the Werehog. It's just extra crap to deal with for no useful purpose on 360 side with all sorts of different stats to upgrade. At least on the Wii side they can kind of plan around it, but they can have no concept on the 360 side if you've upgraded Sonic or the Werehog a single level. How about those level hubs? Confusing, awkward messes on the 360 side, with enemies there for no reason but to annoy you further. On the Wii side, a basic interface, with extra doors leading to puzzles with bonus goods as the reward. (And the only place where you have to worry about Sonic switching to Werehog and back as you play, with puzzles designed around it.) It's not perfect, but damn is it just much more tolerable.

I don't even want to get into the platforming, or some of the puzzles. Some of the block-dragging stuff and "just high enough" platform raising wasn't what I would put in the early levels, I'm dreading the crap it's going to put me through later on. And I loved when I got to that part of Empire City where they started adding spikes to the side of balance beams, so you couldn't grip on them as a fall-back.

Bottom line is this game is complex, and hard. How in the fuck did they think this was OK for kids and families? I would rather a Sonic game be an easy-to-complete sleepwalk than a frustrating, confusing wreck like this. It's okay for the game to have extra challenges that are hard, or a dedicated Hard mode, but I'm talking about the early, basic stages!

Secondly, they got in over their heads making too much content that they didn't need. Now, honestly, I was surprised just how much extra crap there was in the 360 version over the Wii version. I mean, those hubs can be huge, filled with all sorts of characters who change text at almost every step, and even shift around between hubs and talk about their traveling, remembering other NPCs and such. And there's shops that sell souvenirs (you have to buy items to look at the unlockables you've already earned?) and upgrade items, fetch quests, all that joyous stuff. The Wii version basically picked four or five NPCs for each area. You don't care much about them or see them in such surprising detail, but it does the job. You really don't need the talking to people side of it, but the Wii rev is very straightforward about who's left to talk to and when you should talk to them. The 360 version does allow several different people in the town to tell you the important information to move on, but you're still plodding around town looking for people to chat with in the meantime. And again, these hubs can be large. Some of them, anyway. You can clearly see when they had to cut corners when you get to places like Empire City.

And let's not forget the exorcism sidequest using the camera to... fight in highly repetitive and frustrating battles often with short time limits and turtling enemies... I've changed my mind, let's forget about those.

But why? Did anyone really want all this junk? I don't even mess with many of the NPCs anymore because there's just too many, and you have to do so much talking anyway. Souvenirs fit the World Adventure theme (oh, right, the game is "Unleashed," that doesn't work then, does it?), but upgrade food items? Most of it's completely unexplained, so it's just buy it and see what it does. I have a bunch of teas and things from the various level hubs, that Chip says he doesn't want, I don't know whether to try them on Sonic, or hold onto them for some reason. Why am I even having to think about this stuff in regard to the game? It's just in the way, it doesn't add anything of merit.

Thirdly, they rushed for a deadline. Again. I know the business world exists with deadlines for a reason, but they fall into this pattern almost every damn time, the game starts rushing toward release and people have barely seen it, they start showing content and promising they're going to fix that framerate before release, then the Japanese release date unmysteriously pushes back (and yet at least Sonic 2006 didn't get much in the way of fixes for Japan, to my knowledge), but don't worry, the US version is fine... and then they dump the shit on our plates and run away. And you know what pisses me off the most? They immediately want to move on afterward. Sonic 2006 never received a patch even though it deserved one (it may have been too much to patch given the 360's limitations on patching), and they cut nearly all of the planned DLC because the game bombed. It's not guaranteed they've abandoned Unleashed, but there's been no even hinting of a patch, and they've moved the hype train completely over to Sonic and the Black Knight. Big surprise. It's not like Sega doesn't know how to patch games, so what the hell's going on? In the meantime, gamers have to deal with the visuals chugging every time the camera gets near vegetation, or the Werehog at all. (There's some flaw with their alpha blending on 2D textures they used for fur and grass, I'm guessing.) The camera can't even get close to the fucking lead character and they're just going to walk away from it? Meanwhile, the Wii version putters along solidly. Not perfectly, but solidly. The camera on the 360 finds some stupid angles to show you the view from, and sometimes can't even decide which angle it wants to use when you're standing still. The Wii version's camera is a little daft and very rigid, but it gets the job done.

The game needed extra time, and once again they rushed for the holiday season. Oddly, Secret Rings and now Black Knight both haven't been forced to a holiday release date, and I was very happy with how Secret Rings turned out, for the most part. Sega needs to stop fast-tracking their Sonic titles when those games need polish above all else. I know every holiday they miss is a chunk of less sales they could have in their pocket sooner, but this is the second or third game they put out where I can only imagine many of the kids getting it are probably confused and frustrated by the gameplay. Why would they ask for the next game in the series if the last one was too hard for them? If they have a way to avoid it, why would the parents buy it if the kids hardly played the one before?

Finally, it's the little touches that can really help. The Wii version's map screen has a running ticker that tells you where you should go next for the story to continue. The 360 version has these flaming columns coming out of the spot, but they're less straightforward to spot, and don't actually tell you "Go to Spagonia and talk to the Professor!" or "Find the Temple Guardian for Holoska." The "Ready," is a countdown on the Wii version (Secret Rings-like), and you can spindash to get a better start if you time it right. If you time it wrong, Sonic stumbles. It's a nice little extra thing that you're not required to do, but can benefit from. The Wii's 3D scenes are usually wider to allow for cornering, and while once or twice I got turned around in them, it did feel a little better than the tight tunnels the 360 side puts you through. The Wii's Werehog levels usually pick a gimmick or two, then theme the level around them, and it doesn't recycle all that much, instead of constantly throwing everything at you in every level. There's a few too many of them, but the nice thing is that they're about 1/3rd the length of the 360's level, and in-between each one, it asks you if you want to keep going. And if you don't, it saves your progress, and lets you come back later. Meanwhile on the 360, my trip through the Werehog's Holoska took almost 40 minutes, and I even started skipping unlockables near the end because I just wanted to get through the damn thing. And when you travel down some hallways or take side paths to, say, activate a switch or hunt for an unlockable in the Wii version, then would have to travel back to the main route, they either give you an obvious shortcut (spawning one of the flying enemies you can hang from as they float you back), or deactivate nearly all the hazards if they would be hard to see. The challenge is presented as getting there, not getting there and navigating back without dying. This happens some on the 360 side, but not nearly enough.

But my favorite touch on the Wii? The Action Gauge. It's completely unnecessary, all it does is reward you for linking actions together into a smooth motion in the levels, and gives you extra boost energy for it. It feels rewarding in its own right, because it encourages a more active play style through the levels instead of just drifting or boosting through them, making you employ moves like the stomp regularly and usefully. It's reminiscent of the Link meter in NiGHTS. The 360 version could have really used it.

They could have done so much less with this game and just polished the hell out of it, and had something pretty special. Even with the Werehog, the Wii side generally finds a way to make it work, or at least tolerable. But they didn't need stores, they didn't need exorcism sidequests, they didn't need giant hubs full of NPCs spouting tons of text. They needed to make sure the damn levels worked well. They did it for the Wii, even if they didn't put enough Sonic in there. But they got so entrenched in this random bullshit for the 360 rev that they couldn't even get the framerate solid when the lead for half of the game is close to the camera. Their priorities were just too fucked up. It says something when I would recommend the version of the game with about 40% as much content over the other, more "complete" version, but there it is. One team had their priorities right, the other wrong.

Teknoman

I'd just like to say the werehog stages didnt seem hard in the least bit, but im still a little lost on how to get S ranks in daytime stages. Really need to get back into the game though.

NTom64

Teknoman said:
I'd just like to say the werehog stages didnt seem hard in the least bit, but im still a little lost on how to get S ranks in daytime stages. Really need to get back into the game though.

It's mostly based on time, I believe. Memorize the level layout, hold down boost and don't let go :lol

Like this, for example:

Jungle Joyride (Day) (S-Rank)

Takes a lot of work, but quite satisfying once you get it right.

RobbieNick

I cannot even phantom how anyone can chose the Wii version over the 360 version. (Don't really care to play 5 Werehog levels in a row.) As far as complaints about exorcisms and talking to villagers? It's all optional. You can bypass all of it to go to the next level. My only real complaint is those stupid medals. I hate them so much.

But, it's all cool. You've made some pretty good arguments. I just prefer the more deeper 360 version. "One man's meat is another man's poison I always say."

[Nintex]

The Wii version would've been even better if they added:
- More enemies, there's only a small ammount of enemies scattered in every stage.
- Empire city, SA2 had City Escape even SA1 had a Highway/city level and it was cut from a Wii game?
- A flight minigame with the Tornado to move from continent to continent, no QTE shit though, just a simple flightsim.

And removed:
- The NPC's, talking to a bunch of pictures is useless and at one point there's even a QTE with a static picture during one of those 'conversations'.. wtf Sega.

Overall I also prefer the Wii version of this game, the Werehog stages are a cakewalk and less shitty and the levels are well designed, allthough a bit barren.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
goodcow said:
Japanese gamers already destroying American speed runs despite just recently getting the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHU3oFZjXs&feature=channel
WTF @ that crazy shortcut.

At first I thought he fucked up his speedrun when he came to a full stop in front of that large rock, but I guess he was just lining himself up to run off the side of that cliff properly?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
checked this out of my local library and played a few stages.

for something i'm playing for free, it's pretty awesome. the stages are really gorgeous thus far, the action is way fast and exciting, and i like the bumper sidestep mechanic.

goodcow

beelzebozo said:
checked this out of my local library and played a few stages.

for something i'm playing for free, it's pretty awesome. the stages are really gorgeous thus far, the action is way fast and exciting, and i like the bumper sidestep mechanic.

Your library loans out video games? Are you serious?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yes, my library is awesome. games, movies, tv box sets, audio books. i go down there and check out all kinds of stuff. i have five really rad cookbooks out, sonic unleashed, and in defense of food by michael pollan right now.

cheers to the library!

[Nintex] said:
The Wii version would've been even better if they added:
- More enemies, there's only a small ammount of enemies scattered in every stage.
- Empire city, SA2 had City Escape even SA1 had a Highway/city level and it was cut from a Wii game?
- A flight minigame with the Tornado to move from continent to continent, no QTE shit though, just a simple flightsim.

And removed:
- The NPC's, talking to a bunch of pictures is useless and at one point there's even a QTE with a static picture during one of those 'conversations'.. wtf Sega.

Overall I also prefer the Wii version of this game, the Werehog stages are a cakewalk and less shitty and the levels are well designed, allthough a bit barren.
I really think they should have included a Mazuri level. I mean, that was one of the first stages showcased for the game, and they had the continent in there anyway.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aaron Strife said:
I really think they should have included a Mazuri level. I mean, that was one of the first stages showcased for the game, and they had the continent in there anyway.

Definitely should've had Mazuri because of the music at least. :(

Also I disagree with all of [Nintex]'s additions except for Empire City. Take NPCs out but put a 10 minute long minigame in between continents? No.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
NTom64 said:
It's mostly based on time, I believe. Memorize the level layout, hold down boost and don't let go :lol
It's based on time but more importantly not being hit. Jungle Joyride is the exception to the rule, here you're getting an S Rank almost for certain as long as you don't die, in most levels it's essential not to lose your rings though.

Today I was at the Loblaws Superstore and I saw that the Wii version exclusively included a bonus Sonic DVD.

I asked the employee at the cashier and he didn't have any idea about what it is and assumes that it's in the box itself. There was no case or anything shrinkwrapped on the box.

The label was a sticker on the cellophane, so it was not exclusively printed on the sleeve itself.

But what the fuck is this DVD? Perhaps it merely allows you to choose a free Sonic X DVD or something?

I'd buy the game, but I already got the Wii version for $15! Not worth it, especially if I don't even know what I'm getting and if it's even in the damn box.

RobbieNick

Check out the Werehog Concept Art

2j5f56p.jpg

The Nasty Werehog...

3094zh4.jpg

"Gangsta, Bling-Bling!" Werehog and Stripey Werehog.

15cypn9.jpg

Close to finished Werehog with some swirls.

And now!! the Werehog you've all been waiting for!......

Are you ready?......

2pt80us.jpg

OMG run for your lives!! It's the Abominable Snow-Hog!!:lol :lol

Diablohead said:
Chip was called Whip up untill near the end of development where they then had to change his name, some of the game files still refer to the name Whip too.

You're gonna say this and not explain the story behind it?

He was called Whip originally, as in "Whipped Cream." However, when they were localizing the game, they realized whip had different connotations outside of japan - namely S&M-esq connotation in the US. So they changed his name to Chip world-wide.

TheSonicRetard said:
You're gonna say this and not explain the story behind it?

He was called Whip originally, as in "Whipped Cream." However, when they were localizing the game, they realized whip had different connotations outside of japan - namely S&M-esq connotation in the US. So they changed his name to Chip world-wide.
Maybe i'm better off quoting sonicretro in the future.

RobbieNick

Diablohead said:
Come on RobbieNick, at least tell people where the images came from. These images came from the official sega japanese directors blogs, of sorts.

http://www.sonicteam.co.jp/SonicWorldAdventure/hamidashi/2.html

2wm1bep.jpg

Chip was called Whip up untill near the end of development where they then had to change his name, some of the game files still refer to the name Whip too.

You're right. My bad. I should've credited where I found them.

RobbieNick

The Japanese are playing this game in ways I never thought it could be played. They must do those levels over and over. Such dedication!

Baconbitz

Banned
I am giving the game another try since I got for Xmas. Now I finish the first level with wherehog except for the big coin with the star in the middle. I get near it but nothing happends.

Teknoman

Baconbitz said:
I am giving the game another try since I got for Xmas. Now I finish the first level with wherehog except for the big coin with the star in the middle. I get near it but nothing happends.

Isnt that a goal right?

So the 360 version got an update today which greatly improves the framerate in areas where it'd dip, particularly Adabat. While the water running segment still dips very low, most of the rest of the level is at a pretty constant framerate. The most noticeably improved area is the part with the wall of fire... it used to dip into a single digit framerate, but now it remains constant at around 30 fps.

Incidentally, after a few weeks of Killzone 2 and Street Fighter IV, I popped in both versions of Sonic Unleashed (360 and wii versions) and played through all the day stages, level by level, playing the Wii version as act 1, and the 360 version as act 2.

And the game is still god damn fantastic. I feel so sorry for anyone who can't enjoy this game, because it's such a thrill.

EDIT: Incidentally, while I still think the 360/ps3 version is far superior to the wii/ps2 version, I've been warming up to the day stages in those levels. The day stages is still mainly superior in the 360/ps3 version, but I think the wii/ps2 version of Shamar blows the 360/ps3 version away. It's easily the best wii/ps2 stage and the worst 360/ps3 stage. Plus I think the wii version of shamar has much better level gimmicks, like the moving sand.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, playing through only the day stages on both the wii and 360 version, treating the wii version like act 1, and the 360 version like act 2, and finishing off with only the wii version of Eggmanland, took me a little over 3 hours.

So... thats how long Sonic unleashed would be if they combined the day stages and had it play like a classic sonic game. Also, I recommend anyone with both versions give playing this way a go... it's pretty damned fun.

TheSonicRetard said:
So the 360 version got an update today which greatly improves the framerate in areas where it'd dip, particularly Adabat. While the water running segment still dips very low, most of the rest of the level is at a pretty constant framerate. The most noticeably improved area is the part with the wall of fire... it used to dip into a single digit framerate, but now it remains constant at around 30 fps.

Holy shit, it did. They actually patched it, I had lost all expectation of them doing so.

It still chokes some, like running around in the weeds at the start of Mazuri's Night, but any help is welcome. I just played to Eggmanland two days ago, and the framerate did some ugly things if you took one of the higher rails, hopefully this patch will take care of that.

TheSonicRetard said:
Incidentally, after a few weeks of Killzone 2 and Street Fighter IV, I popped in both versions of Sonic Unleashed (360 and wii versions) and played through all the day stages, level by level, playing the Wii version as act 1, and the 360 version as act 2.

And the game is still god damn fantastic. I feel so sorry for anyone who can't enjoy this game, because it's such a thrill.

It's hard, sometimes the Sonic stages are really great, until you get to "that spot", some point where it just falls apart and frustrates you over and over, especially if you can't figure out where you're supposed to be going. Often if you can can get past it, the level smooths out for a while after, but I ran into that a lot less on the Wii side. And while the Wii's Werehog is too watered down, the alternative is a complete pain in the ass which you play through "less" levels, but ultimately the same amount of time with no breaks. Like when the fighting engine fails you and the Werehog does that slow, sad float to the ground uncontrollably because one of his showy moves didn't connect with the enemy it targeted right, while other enemies can circle around you and still hurt you.

There's also the extra Sonic levels where the game confuses itself for a Klonoa title. Those are so damn good. If this engine's compact at all, they have a strong foundation for a Bionic Commando Rearmed-style XBLA/PSN game. It really should be the next thing they do.

Kulock said:
It's hard, sometimes the Sonic stages are really great, until you get to "that spot", some point where it just falls apart and frustrates you over and over, especially if you can't figure out where you're supposed to be going. Often if you can can get past it, the level smooths out for a while after, but I ran into that a lot less on the Wii side. And while the Wii's Werehog is too watered down, the alternative is a complete pain in the ass which you play through "less" levels, but ultimately the same amount of time with no breaks. Like when the fighting engine fails you and the Werehog does that slow, sad float to the ground uncontrollably because one of his showy moves didn't connect with the enemy it targeted right, while other enemies can circle around you and still hurt you.

There's also the extra Sonic levels where the game confuses itself for a Klonoa title. Those are so damn good. If this engine's compact at all, they have a strong foundation for a Bionic Commando Rearmed-style XBLA/PSN game. It really should be the next thing they do.

See, I never really had that problem. Sonic Unleashed, for me at least, was a very natural game. I got through it without really any problems at all, Eggmanland excused. Both the day stages AND the night stages felt so much more responsive and natural too me. I mainly stuck with a running XXX combo with the werehog (the one that does the drill dash) so I never had to worry about not connecting or floating jumps or whatever, and I found the Werehog's weight to be perfect for me in the 360 version. By contrast, the wii version felt very floaty... he had no weight and felt like he slid along the ground, gumby style.

The day levels have more problems on the wii/ps2 version, IMO. You're not really supposed to move left or right while running on the 360/ps3 version, and instead you're supposed to rely on the bumpers. By contrast, you ARE supposed to steer on the wii version, and rely much less on the bumpers. This makes the controls feel very slippery, especially when running. This problem is much, much more apparent on the PS2 version for some reason. I can run in a very tight, very straight line on the 360 version, particularly in empire city act 2's stage. By contrast, I usually fall off of that opening part of Adabat's day stage in the wii version because I veer to the left. Also, for some reason, the homing attack feels so much more natural when mapped to a separate button. Even when I'm on the Wii version, I'll use X instead of A to homing attack. I associate the homing attack with the dash since they can be used similarly in the game, I guess.

EDIT: And yes, the side-scrolling levels are some of the best in the game. I enjoy those so much. My favorites are Mazuri act 3 and Spagonia act 2. When I play the wii version and the 360 version interlaced between one another, I usually play both Mazuri act 1 and Mazuri act 3 so that it has 2 stages.

I'd really like to see the Wii's take on Mazuri. Any additional daytime stages are welcome.

Speaking of daylight stages, everyone is familiar with the unused portion of Shamar with the rising water, right? The part behind the closed door that you had to glitch to get into? Well, before, the water wasn't actually placed in the level layout, you only knew it was there because of the sound effects and the platforms rising. After the update, however, if you go to that section, it's been partially completed, with more object being placed and actual water being added.

What it means... hell if I know.

Also, I just went back and read your complaints about the game and one complaint in particular bugged me... you said the 360 version has random QTEs... this isn't necessarily true, I hope you realize. Only certain ramps will give you a random QTE, and those are the ones that are yellow. The others, if they give you a QTE, will be the same every time.

Additionally, those jump pad spots where you have to press a button to jump from spot to spot are also not random. Not all of them at least. They always have a big face button that is printed on the part sonic stands on, which are admittedly hard to see, but they never change. However, a couple of them in the game have a "?" instead of a face button, and those DO change.

If you really want proof, go to Shamar act 3 (the one with all the jump pads) or Apotos act 2 when you have to jump onto the roof towards the zipline. They're always the same.

TheSonicRetard said:
If you really want proof, go to Shamar act 3 (the one with all the jump pads) or Apotos act 2 when you have to jump onto the roof towards the zipline. They're always the same.

Of all the things to defend about the game, I really don't think you want to pick QTEs. There are plenty of random ones, such as one of the last boss fights that's "Punch this in or die." And as I said, I played to Eggmanland two days ago, which means I had to play through Sky Chase Act 2. I have no sympathy for their use in Sonic Unleashed.

Kulock said:
Of all the things to defend about the game, I really don't think you want to pick QTEs. There are plenty of random ones, such as one of the last boss fights that's "Punch this in or die." And as I said, I played to Eggmanland two days ago, which means I had to play through Sky Chase Act 2. I have no sympathy for their use in Sonic Unleashed.

I'm supposed to be finishing off a 10 page midterm right now, so I don't want to get into a long drawn out argument, but Sky Chase Zone is NOT a QTE. It's fundamentally different from a QTE.

It's more like typing space harrier or typing of the dead. If I still have energy when I'm done with my midterm, I'll come back and explain my reasoning.

That said, I've loved QTEs ever since I first cut my teeth on Dragon's Lair.

EDIT: Also, I s-ranked the second Sky Chase Zone on my very first playthrough of the level, so I'm sort of the wrong guy to bitch to about QTEs.

Splitting hairs. Even though you're wrong given that certain parts of Sky Chase do use "press this string of buttons in this exact sequence" QTEs. Or even if you want to argue the definition of QTE, my intended meaning is obvious: call and repeat a string of buttons with no clear context. It's technically the same mechanic that many music games use, but even in those the buttons have associated pitches or phrases that give some kind of meaning to them. (Parappa, Lammy, Space Channel 5 etc.)

And I wasn't bitching to you about QTEs, you brought up that point of my post from a month ago, and I simply pointed out that I wasn't wrong and I had a fresh negative experience with them in the game. I'm happy for you that you love them, I personally felt they were out of place and overused.

Top Bottom