• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

IGN Hands-On

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/878/878636p1.html

New shots:

super-street-fighter-ii-turbo-hd-remix-20080602103431609.jpg

super-street-fighter-ii-turbo-hd-remix-20080602103409078.jpg

super-street-fighter-ii-turbo-hd-remix-20080602103423999.jpg

super-street-fighter-ii-turbo-hd-remix-20080602103419250.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

kurahadol

It doesn't look bad, but at the same time it's not blowing me out of the water. Dee-Jay looks kinda plain and a little bit too disgruntled for his character. Backgrounds are still pretty unimpressive, Sagat's stage is nice though. I lol'd @ Akuma's epic shit face.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
jjasper said:
I was looking forward to this but I really don't see the point to getting this anymore with SFIV coming out this year.

Same here. Plus I'm still playing 3S anyway.

Jim

New backgrounds look a little bit better... terrible HUD still.
They are still doing that weird "wallpaper" style background pasted on I see though.

Characters do NOT look 1080p native.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MOMMY DEAREST said:
Right image: No neck, coupled with gorilla-like proportioned limbs.

Image2.jpg
Sigh :(

h3ro

Those character models have lost a lot of detailing... :(

I was originally really hyped for this game, I really wanted a complete remodeling of SFII with the works. I thought the original artwork was great but its been down hill since they had to restart/redraw everything because it was taking too long. Who knows, maybe they'll throw a few extra layers of polish on it before it releases...

Jim, I think those shots from Gamersyde are uncompressed originals. (damn you and your stealth edit!).. I don't think those characters are being rendered at 1080p either, they look scaled... double :(

The loss of detail between the original HD sprites and the new ones is killer. I don't think the game looks bad; but it looks "worse" with each new batch of screens.

I think it is safe to say that SSF2T:HD's appearance will never match what we hoped.

Jim

h3ro said:
Those character models have lost a lot of detailing... :(

I was originally really hyped for this game, I really wanted a complete remodeling of SFII with the works. I thought the original artwork was great but its been down hill since they had to restart/redraw everything because it was taking too long. Who knows, maybe they'll throw a few extra layers of polish on it before it releases...

Jim, I think those shots from Gamersyde are uncompressed originals. :)

Yah, they were posted as I was bitching above :) The style is definitely not cohesive and besides the backdrops, I'm doubting the art is native 1080p.

Yoshichan

Oh! My Car! said:
Last I checked gameplay is still king, day one.
Last I checked, the gameplay looked like shit. Fucked up animations and hitboxes.

Snaku

Banned
brendanrfoley said:
The loss of detail between the original HD sprites and the new ones is killer. I don't think the game looks bad; but it looks "worse" with each new batch of screens.

I think it is safe to say that SSF2T:HD's appearance will never match what we hoped.

I blame the 360's XBLA size cap.

Jazzem

Am I right in saying you can still play this with the old graphics in tact? I do have mixed feelings about the upgrade, but if worst comes to worst you can always play it with the old style.

sajj316

prodystopian said:
You mean your arms aren't twice the size of your legs and just as long? Freak.

I'm all for a jacked Akuma but this is a little ridiculous ... give me Jim Lee jacked, not Rob Liefield

Seiken said:
Last I checked, the gameplay looked like shit. Fucked up animations and hitboxes.
Ah, it has a touch of that "it's a fact, not just my assinine opinion" duchebaggery.

Insert obligatory have-you-played-it? post.

Yoshichan

Oh! My Car! said:
Ah, it has a touch of that "it's a fact, not just my assinine opinion" duchebaggery.

Yeah, don't do yourself any favours.

Insert obligatory have-you-played-it? post.
Are you serious?

Jim

Snaku said:
I blame the 360's XBLA size cap.

No longer an issue (I'd hope), but it's too late. They can't even get the animation right with the new, more simple sprites. The older more detailed sprites would have been more of a mess.

Sapiens

brendanrfoley said:

Precisely! We were hoping that CAPCOM, a company with a history of some of the BEST art in the business would come through and make this game look great.

Instead, we get UDON.
:lol :lol :lol

Seriously, there's no excuse for this. It all looks like cheap, undisciplined fan art. It's really sad how bad these look considering all the advantages artists have these days with computer assistance.

Oh well.

sajj316

Jim said:
No longer an issue (I'd hope), but it's too late. They can't even get the animation right with the new, more simple sprites. The older more detailed sprites would have been more of a mess.

I mean all they really are doing is replacing the old SD sprites with shiny HD versions and expecting it to work out. Its like putting a Ferarri top on a Yugo engine. The animations looks very jerky that way and its very transparent in HD. Adding frames would have helped but this wasn't in the scope of this HD Remix project. Too bad ... maybe they should have done Street Fighter III - HD Remix!

Sapiens

sajj316 said:
I mean all they really are doing is replacing the old SD sprites with shiny HD versions and expecting it to work out. Its like putting a Ferarri top on a Yugo engine. The animations looks very jerky that way and its very transparent in HD. Adding frames would have helped but this wasn't in the scope of this HD Remix project. Too bad ... maybe they should have done Street Fighter III - HD Remix!

You have it completely backwards.

v0yce

Oh! My Car! said:
Last I checked gameplay is still king, day one.

Do you really think that's a good argument with a game that's simply adding new visuals to old gameplay? :lol

You realize the game is called HD Remix right?

v0yce

MOMMY DEAREST said:
Right image: No neck, coupled with gorilla-like proportioned limbs.

Image2.jpg

Hmm, sometimes I think you guys look too hard for arguments.

I certainly miss the detail from the first image, but the body positioning and pose is a lot better in the second.

The proportions are basically the same, he just has his head tucked a bit. =/

I don't play games for good graphics, obviously. The rebalancing aspect is the important one, compressing tiers and making the whole roster accessible.

You realize the game is called HD Remix right?
No, I'm completely fucking oblivious.

I'm at a puzzle why they want the backgrounds to look less detailed, why not give them a shaded style with the sprites left as anime looking? at least that way theres some balance and the backdrops looks great.

Stantron

I'm looking forward to rebalance mode, but I think I may play with the old sprites. Seems to me that Udon bit off more than they can chew, and it shows in the quality of their work. That and I hate their art style.

Christopher

Perhaps I'm just easily satisified, but I think the game looks pretty sharp - and I'll be buying it because I loved Street Fighter II, plus I would like more additional games to be remade in the "HD Remix" style. Anyway, some real petty nitpickers in this thread too...

jett

D-Member
Other than the background characters, which stick out HORRIBLY, I think it looks pretty decent. The newer Akuma sprite is infinitely better than the older one to me, despite the shading detail loss.

Top Bottom