• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

alisdair

I can't believe they've actually licensed GGPO, fantastic news. And bringing Ponder in to consult on SSF2THD is exactly what they should be doing.

Capcom is the most impressive developer this generation. They really get it.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
i cared 2 months ago. capcom took too damn long on this one. the shouldn't have announced it so long ago.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im gonna end up buying this game just out of sheer curiosity to see how fucked up it is, honestly.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So either they put it up bugged/laggy or they get it polished/playable? What would you prefer?

Yea I'll wait.

lol

The people who keep saying that they've lost interest in this game because of the delay crack me up. I agree that the delays have been annoying and mystifying, but ... we're talking about a game that was released in fucking 1994.

So you're keenly interested in a remake of a 13 year old game, but not a 14 year old game? :lol

I don't buy any arguments about SF4 coming out soon, either. This a stone cold classic, one of if not the best, 2D fighters. Either you want to play it or you don't.

otake

MarkMan said:
So either they put it up bugged/laggy or they get it polished/playable? What would you prefer?

Yea I'll wait.

lol

it's a freaking remake! but my actual point is that they shouldn't have announced it so far from release.

Jirotrom

MarkMan said:

Yea I'll wait.

lol
pretty much

otake said:
it's a freaking remake! but my actual point is that they shouldn't have announced it so far from release.
just dont buy it...

do not bump this thread when there is nothing to talk about, edit: if they are JUST NOW updating the online to this new tech, then this game won't come out until December at the earliest

over 1 year has been spent talking about a DL game which has gotten progressively worse every time it's been shown

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Ken Masters said:
do not bump this thread when there is nothing to talk about, edit: if they are JUST NOW updating the online to this new tech, then this game won't come out until December at the earliest

over 1 year has been spent talking about a DL game which has gotten progressively worse every time it's been shown

Yeah, I'm not sure I even care anymore now that SF4 is probably going to be released at the same time/before.

otake

Fatghost said:
Yeah, I'm not sure I even care anymore now that SF4 is probably going to be released at the same time/before.

see what I mean.

Sapiens

OK.

I really, really want to know exactly what is taking this game so long.

A real behind the scenes on this would be fascinating

yurinka

RadarScope1 said:
The people who keep saying that they've lost interest in this game because of the delay crack me up. I agree that the delays have been annoying and mystifying, but ... we're talking about a game that was released in fucking 1994.

So you're keenly interested in a remake of a 13 year old game, but not a 14 year old game? :lol

I don't buy any arguments about SF4 coming out soon, either. This a stone cold classic, one of if not the best, 2D fighters. Either you want to play it or you don't.
Unlimited players worldwide through great on-line, lots of stats, tourneys etc gives the game another dimension. Also there are severall other very insteresting improvements with the remake process.

For me, they can delay it as they want, if the final game deserves it. Is better a great delayed game than a non-delayed shit.

CPS2

RadarScope1 said:

Yeah. I don't think many people are so excited about the remixed gameplay that there's anything stopping them from playing ST right now, and getting pretty much the same experience as STHD.

Caj814

bee said:

Patience + 100

MUST. . . BE. . . PATIENT
1179147986020.gif

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
otake said:
see what I mean.

Yeah, I just went back to the other5 versions of SSF2T I have and have lost all real sense of anticipation.

SF4 is the new hotness, when SSF2THD was announced SF4 wasn't revealed/unknown quantity/quality.

I'll buy it when it comes out, and I'll play it, but by then SF4 will be taking up all of my time. The window for SSF2HD to take center stage has passed.

Jirotrom

Fatghost said:
Yeah, I just went back to the other5 versions of SSF2T I have and have lost all real sense of anticipation.

SF4 is the new hotness, when SSF2THD was announced SF4 wasn't revealed/unknown quantity/quality.

I'll buy it when it comes out, and I'll play it, but by then SF4 will be taking up all of my time. The window for SSF2HD to take center stage has passed.
does it matter if you are still buying it:/

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Sapiens said:
OK.

I really, really want to know exactly what is taking this game so long.

A real behind the scenes on this would be fascinating

My money is on incompetence

"Who knew making fighting games would be so hard? What? You mean we cant just redraw every single frame as detailed as we want, what is this "animation thing you keep talking about? Drawings need to be consistent with each other are you fucking kidding me?!?"

etc

Jirotrom

Raging Spaniard said:

"Who knew making fighting games would be so hard? What? You mean we cant just redraw every single frame as detailed as we want, what is this "animation thing you keep talking about? Drawings need to be consistent with each other are you fucking kidding me?!?"

etc

I thinks it was more of Capcom coming in and saying... shit we need to take this project more seriously.

Jirotrom said:
I thinks it was more of Capcom coming in and saying... shit we need to take this project more seriously.

I would think so, or at least hope so. Capcom has been the top digital publisher on consoles, and I think it realizes the potential of a game like this. With Sirlin helming the remake and the producer of SF4 stating that online play is the future of fighting games, I think they are leaving nothing to chance. It's one of the most played and respected games of all time. Anything less than 100 percent will be shit and gamers will pass on buying it, just like they did Soul Calibur on XBLA.

Draft

Raging Spaniard said:

etc
Incompetence is too harsh.

These UDON guys, they're comic dudes. They're used to having leeway in their schedules, the ability to slave over a piece of art for an extended period of time. That's not to say there are no deadlines, true believers. You don't have to tell me.

I'm just saying that the kind of art UDON does is pretty far removed from the grindhouse assembly line work of putting together game assets. I'm sure they're working very, very hard. They're just not great at that kind of work.

Raging Spaniard

Draft said:
Incompetence is too harsh.

These UDON guys, they're comic dudes. They're used to having leeway in their schedules, the ability to slave over a piece of art for an extended period of time. That's not to say there are no deadlines, true believers. You don't have to tell me.

I'm just saying that the kind of art UDON does is pretty far removed from the grindhouse assembly line work of putting together game assets. I'm sure they're working very, very hard. They're just not great at that kind of work.

My wording may be too harsh, Ill apologize for that (never know who reads these)

However, when it comics to comic book deadlines, I disagree. Ive seen it first hand since I went to comic book college and then graduated with a 2d animation degree. There are NO harsher deadlines than comic book deadlines, its an insane amount of work to make a page a day for a comic book, 22 pages each month, whatever, and then add the fact that you need to stay on top of your game and make those pages awesome, its a tough ass job. Animation deadlines are tough too, but not on the same level. In animation you usually delegate more than you do in comics, while a comic book artist sometimes is in charge of layout-pencils-inks-color, in animation you have separate guys for everything as a rule (the rough animation guys will never really bother with clean-up) Even under the basic Comic Book workload, the penciller alone has a great responsibility since hes the designer, the layout artist, the penciller and he adds the lighting information for the inker. Its really hard work.

What I think you're getting into are two very big craft differences. In comic books you focus on storytelling, posing, paneling and as much rendering as you have time to do. Those are the priorities. In animation you focus on two things mostly: movement and consistency. In comic books is easy to stay consistent since you will draw one character perhaps 50 times in one story. In animation you will draw that character 30 times PER SECOND of animation, its really hard making sure your characters face doesn't start morphing all of a sudden in the middle of a cycle :lol When Comic Book artists get into animation, thats one area of great struggle. Another is that they dont pay enough attention to the movement. Usually the key drawings will be great, but when it comes to adding the movement between the idle pose and the first keyframe of a high kick, that's when the quality drops substantially (in most cases)

Granted, for the purposes of reanimating a 16-bit game, the animation knowledge doesn't have to be that great (which, in retrospect is why a 3rd strike remake by Udon sounds kind of ridiculous, since the number of animations in that game is so much greater) but the growing pains have been evident from the number of newbie mistakes that have been shown. Udon style of art is also its biggest enemy. The way Udon comics usually draw SF characters is very unappealing for animation. Muscles are invented on the go, anatomy is always different to go with the perspective of the illustration, characters are not individual enough (they all share the same noses, ears and jawlines usually) A ot of these things can make for great illustrative work, but once again when it comes down to best practices for 2D animation, shit hits the fan.

I do give them respect for giving this a shot though, that's totally cool. I'm just disappointed at the results.

Bah, sorry for the rant, this stuff hits close to home is all.

RadarScope1 said:
I would think so, or at least hope so. Capcom has been the top digital publisher on consoles, and I think it realizes the potential of a game like this. With Sirlin helming the remake and the producer of SF4 stating that online play is the future of fighting games, I think they are leaving nothing to chance. It's one of the most played and respected games of all time. Anything less than 100 percent will be shit and gamers will pass on buying it, just like they did Soul Calibur on XBLA.

Soul Calibur sold really good on XBLA.

I'd love to see more DC games ported over as nicely as SC.

Back to topic. I was excited at first, but after playing the beta and Udons blah style, I'd just have much rather had a GGPO online Super Turbo with nothing new added, for 400-800 points. I think alot of us would.

For all the development time and money they spent (wasted), we could have had 3rd Strike, ST, Alpha 2 and 3, Marvel, who knows, put on the service with online play for 400-800. The community would have ate that shit up

someone was able to bait the release out of a dev on the beta forums, seems like november.

On a date issue, all of the art is done (finallly). We're doing a little cleanup on the animations, finailzing the net code (still some tweaks being made based on our testing, the beta testing and Tony Cannon's input) and a few other bits. We had some more Evo players in on this past Wednesday night for another check on some of the balance changes (which exposed a couple problems that will be fixed).

I'm not saying a date, but if it's December, we did something wrong.
Christian Svensson
Corporate Officer/VP of Strategic Planning & Business Development
Now Playing: Castle Crashers (soooo great), Age of Booty, Warhammer Online Beta

poweld

Raging Spaniard said:
...I went to comic book college...There are NO harsher deadlines than comic book deadlines

Uh... right. *groan*

People that rant about how hard their work is lose so many notches in my book.
You may not be the only one with a tough job! For real!

Just relax, they'll get the game to you guys when they decide it's ready, no sooner, no later. I'm fairly certain that your threats not to buy the game (or at least, certainly not enjoy buying the game) are falling on deaf ears, or at least not Capcom's.

CPS2

1. The animation was outsourced overseas. This was announced months ago.

2. The artwork is finished. This was announced weeks ago.

MobiusPigeon said:
someone was able to bait the release out of a dev on the beta forums, seems like november.

Great update to this thread. Thanks.

If it is in November, I don't know how I feel about getting it. On one hand, who knows if SF4 will actually be out in February and there aren't any new fighters I currently want to play. On the other, there are a lot of games I want to play in that time frame. Tough call.

Nakazato said:
Why bring this out 3 month before SF4 (Rumored Feb)
theres this teeny tiny rush called thanksgiving/christmas that kinda...how would you say it...brings in all kindsa new console owners as well as monies from the older as well as these newer console owners. that may have something to do with it. just a little. I mean they could wait until next august when its slow again. i dunno what they're thinking. :lol

Raging Spaniard

poweld said:
Uh... right. *groan*

People that rant about how hard their work is lose so many notches in my book.
You may not be the only one with a tough job! For real!

Uh, right STFU if you dont know what the fuck you're talking about. The Joe Kubert School is a staple in the industry of Comic Books and many industry professionals have come out of it, just because you dont take it seriously doesnt mean its not well respected and indicative of its industry. Also, for real, the comic book industry is easily one of the hardest industires to break into, look at all the jobs available and the amount of people who want to be in it, its a very big sacrifice to be part of it, due to the deadlines and amount of work needed to even get a gig.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Jirotrom said:
does it matter if you are still buying it:/

I buy every video game with SF stamped on it.

I already own Super Turbo as:

3D0 version (bought new, full price)
Saturn SF Collection (bought new, full price)
PS1 SF Collection (bought new, full price)
Capcom Classics Vol 2 PS2 (bought new, full price)
Capcom Classics Vol 2 Xbox (bought new, full price)

So of course I'll buy this too.

poweld

Raging Spaniard said:
Heated words!

Try meditation or something. :lol

The comic school jab was unnecessary, but I stick to my main point. Your work may be hard, but if you truly believe that it's tougher than mine, or most anyone else's, you are seriously short sighted.

Fatghost said:
I already own Super Turbo as:

3D0 version (bought new, full price)
Saturn SF Collection (bought new, full price)
PS1 SF Collection (bought new, full price)
Capcom Classics Vol 2 PS2 (bought new, full price)
Capcom Classics Vol 2 Xbox (bought new, full price)

I'll match this and raise you the Gameboy Advance version. Sadly.

Raging Spaniard

poweld said:

The comic school jab was unnecessary, but I stick to my main point. Your work may be hard, but if you truly believe that it's tougher than mine, or most anyone else's, you are seriously short sighted.

I think you're misunderstanding, unless you're an artist you really cant relate to this. Somebody brought up a point where they said that animation was harder than making comic books and I brought up the differences, because many people don't know how hard the comic book industry is.

Of course many other jobs are tougher, that's not my point. What Im saying is that in the art field, the comic book industry is brutal: You work 60 hour weeks easy, take no weekends, no holidays, get paid about 25 bucks a page and job security is shit.... plus you have to keep your artwork top notch and interesting and new, which is another crazy challenge in and out itself.

And btw, Im not in the field, I work in videogames.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
poweld said:

Thats not what he said/was getting at. reread the post you were repling to. You lose.

poweld

Raging Spaniard said:
I think you're misunderstanding, unless you're an artist you really cant relate to this. Somebody brought up a point where they said that animation was harder than making comic books and I brought up the differences, because many people don't know how hard the comic book industry is.

Of course many other jobs are tougher, that's not my point. What Im saying is that in the art field, the comic book industry is brutal: You work 60 hour weeks easy, take no weekends, no holidays, get paid about 25 bucks a page and job security is shit.... plus you have to keep your artwork top notch and interesting and new, which is another crazy challenge in and out itself.

And btw, Im not in the field, I work in videogames.

If I misconstrued your words, then I apologize. I've never had an easy time understanding artists. Working on teams with them (I'm a programmer) always seems to lead to misunderstandings and disagreements. Then again, I think that's just because the few I've worked with believed that they knew more of my craft than I do (when I would never dream of doing the same to them).

Raging Spaniard

poweld said:
If I misconstrued your words, then I apologize. I've never had an easy time understanding artists. Working on teams with them (I'm a programmer) always seems to lead to misunderstandings and disagreements. Then again, I think that's just because the few I've worked with believed that they knew more of my craft than I do (when I would never dream of doing the same to them).

Well, what else is new? Here at EA we have the same problem with some artists who assume to know too much, I tend to just stick to what I know, works better for me. Being an engineer is tough shit I'm sure, its never pretty when we hit alpha here (or beta, for that matter, lolz)

I can't work out people complaining about it's release schedule in relation to SF4.

What does it matter? One is a full retail release one is a cheap Arcade game? Buy both for fucks sake if you love Street Fighter.

These are both no brainers for me, I dont see where the issues are coming from. Delays? Every fucking game has delays, get over it.

Top Bottom