• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official THQ Auction Results [Up2: Purchase Prices, Runner-Ups Revealed]

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
:(

Thanks for the past 2.5 years THQ. It may have been just a side job for me, but I met so many amazing people.

(I helped with communities for Homefront, Saints Row, and WWE).

Glass Rebel

I've had good experiences with Sega recently (Binary Domain), but what exactly is the reason for this sentiment? (other than hell yeah: company of heroes 2 lives)

They're an exceptional strategy game publisher as evident by their handling of Sports Interactive and Creative Assembly.

Hip Hop

EA, Ubisoft, and Take 2 should have stepped up for the Saints Row rights.

I'm not omfortable with Deep Silver having that IP.

what happens with the WWE licence?

They had an out clause and are set to announce something soon apparently.

This was just posted on f4wonline.com (Figure 4 Wrestling/Wrestling Observer website)

www.f4wonline.com said:
WWE/THQ update is

Well, nothing official. Officially, nothing was said publicly, for a variety of reasons regarding the WWE video game license, although it will be very soon.

There is a deal in place but all the paperwork hasn't been completed. It is not with EA.

The WWE license was not part of the auction but is a separate entity and all information requiring its sale has been kept within very few in the company.

Persona7

Banned
Great to hear!! Good fit and good publisher.

Wierd....really weird. Not sure about this.

Why would they even bother? Didn't homefront bomb?

Great that turtle rock is doing ok.

Eeeesh.... I hope this doesn't mess South Park up too badly.

Damn shame. Huge damn shame. Haven't played their games but I've heard good things. Best of luck to all of them.

Free Radical (Crytek UK) was/is developing Homefront 2

Vigil didn't make it?

Strange....I though Darksiders could fit a publisher like WB or EA easily....

also:

Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal [Nirolak's Note: Patrice's game and perhaps Volition Montreal] and South Park

lol

Patryn

They had an out clause and are set to announce something soon apparently.

This was just posted on f4wonline.com (Figure 4 Wrestling/Wrestling Observer website)

So 2k then?

There was an accidental tweet that 2k bought Vigil and was shutting down the studio, when actually 2k bought the Turtle Rock project.

Syrinx

Glad to see Ubisoft save South Park, really the only upcoming THQ release I was looking forward to. Sucks about Vigil. And surprising; I'd have thought they'd be one of the most desired of their assets.

dani_dc

I'm pretty happy with the sales, it's great to see CoH going for a publisher such as Sega which now has a surprisingly good PC front.
I'm a bit bummed with South Park going for Ubisoft, I'll be fine as long as they don't drop Steamworks for Uplay as well as not delaying the PC version, hopefully South Park Studios and the developers have some say on it since it's a publishing deal.

Pretty happy about Volution, I was worried EA would pick them, but Koch Media seems like it might be a surprising good fit, don't think there's any risk of them trying to tone down the Saints Row or anything like that.

Shame about Virgil, hopefully someone appears to buy them before the 25th.

Glass Rebel

I think some people are mixing studios and IPs. Just because Koch Media got Volition doesn't mean they bought Saints Row as well.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why does it say "Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve and"

Was there something else TT bought?

Or is it just "and" continues to Ubisoft

Why would they even bother? Didn't homefront bomb?

If I'm not mistaken, Crytek was already working on the sequel for THQ. I bet THQ owed them money and pretty much called giving them the IP and rights to settle their debt and now Crytek can continue development on their own.

Wiktor

I've had good experiences with Sega recently (Binary Domain), but what exactly is the reason for this sentiment? (other than hell yeah: company of heroes 2 lives)

Sega is bassicaly the only publisher that could guarantee Relic will keep making what they best: PC RTSes. Everybody else would most likely turn the studio multiplat.
Sega has been extremely good to the pc devs they own, so the same will likely happen to Relic now.
Plus..Sega has Warhammer license, so there's a chance for both Warhammer IPs under one publisher.

evangd007

If I'm interpreting what I'm reading correctly, since nobody bid for Vigil now THQ is going to try to sell them on their own? Is there hope?

JdFoX187

Banned
So the Darksiders IP is dead? Or can it somehow be salvaged by someone else? I'm confused by this.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that it will remain with THQ until Chapter 11 proceeds. So WBIE or someone could still pick it up?

If I'm not mistaken, Crytek was already working on the sequel for THQ. I bet THQ owed them money and pretty much called giving them the IP and rights to settle their debt and now Crytek can continue development on their own.
Correct, Crytek UK is working on it. (Formerly known as Free Radical.)

fenners

People from vigil migrating to other Austin based studios?

What studios? Austin's a bloodbath in the past few years & there's no large studio hiring en masse. A few drips & drabs at EA Sports, Retro etc, but there's definitely more people looking than jobs already (especially for non-engineering).

Jachaos

So I had preordered South Park the Stick of Truth on the THQ online store a few months ago. How does this change if at all ?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Does this mean we should expect a Homefront sequel? I don't know how that got purchased over Vigil. Shit ain't right.

I'm okay with Homefront continuing and all, but seriously, how did Vigil NOT get picked up?!

HoosTrax

Other than the reasons already given -- also relief that EA didn't buy them and cause a Westwood Part II situation.

Patryn

If I'm interpreting what I'm reading correctly, since nobody bid for Vigil now THQ is going to try to sell them on their own? Is there hope?

The same press release says that everyone left behind (including Vigil) are now laid off, so they're going to be trying to sell a studio that nobody works at.

Top Bottom