• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Official Thread of PS3 Trophy Whoring & gamer leveling (also FAQ)

Jonnyram

Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,828
1
0
Neo Tokyo
It sucks ass that there are no platinums in smaller PSN titles. Games like SSHD are often harder than most full price games, and a platinum would be well earned. Also, who's going to decide what counts as small and what is large enough for a platinum trophy? Retarded idea total.
 

Zoe

Member
Jan 3, 2007
45,101
2
1,075
39
Austin
Maybe there should also be a list of games that are officially reported to NOT receive patches for the time being (R1 and R&C T_T).
 

BobTheFork

Member
Feb 14, 2005
25,070
0
0
41
Denver
Jonnyram said:
It sucks ass that there are no platinums in smaller PSN titles. Games like SSHD are often harder than most full price games, and a platinum would be well earned. Also, who's going to decide what counts as small and what is large enough for a platinum trophy? Retarded idea total.
To be fair, hard or not I cleaned out SSDHD of trophies in about half a day. There's no way that deserves a platinum trophy. The gold trophies have me ALLOT of gamercard xp, so I assume it will be well worth it to get them in regular games.
 

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Jun 7, 2004
23,318
47
1,660
There's no way that deserves a platinum trophy

why? because it doesn't take time?

some of the achievements are still ahrd to get - length of time shouldn't matter , though troph/achies should be paced so they keep the player playing through the game and hand out rewards for that, but skill based and game modifying achievements should be the key.

I have went on about this before, but the achivement/trophy thing needs to be better thought out and , somewhat, standardised.

i.e. :
Basic Achievements total 100 pts (clear first level, get first 1st down, etc)
Game completeness total 200 pts (completed full season, completed game)
Longterm/online gamer total 200 pts (collection gubbins, online kills etc)
Game Alterer total 250 pts (complete level x using only <weapon>, score free kick with defender, etc)
Skill based total 250 pts (40+ winning margin, no hit clear, didn't continue)

this way, people who dip their toe in get a token pat on the back, the completeness achievements doll out during the gameplay, the power gamer gets the awards for playing longterm/online, Game alterer adds replay value and should appeal to the power game and casual alike, and the skill based gives points to those -exceptionally- good at the game.

i want to see more game altering achievements. Like survival achievements in Geowars/SSHD
 

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Jun 6, 2004
17,268
0
0
Trophies in LBP are going to be awesome :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=164853 said:
will. asks: Now that we have Trophies on the PS3 what sort of wacky tasks can we expect to be tearing our hair out over? Personally, I'm looking out for 'Rocket sack - launch your sackboy into the heavens!'

David Smith: We've been having a lot of fun working out what trophies most fit our game. Because we have this catchphrase of 'Play, Create, Share', the trophies (and indeed some of the other scoring systems) reflect this. One of the trophies is close to what you've suggested - for somehow making your sackperson be thrown at some huge velocity. You'll probably need to make a machine using the create tools.
 

SumGamer

Member
May 1, 2006
2,682
0
1,065
May I ask one thing, is HK Star Strik HD(SSHD) getting Trophy patch as well? I dont get any update notice at all.

HK PSN is almost next to nothing.
 

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Sep 18, 2004
9,218
0
1,620
www.youtube.com
Didn't see this answered in the the OP.

How do you get trophies to synch automatically?

Right now is seems like the only way to synch to your online profile is to open the trophies list once you've quit the game, is this so?
 

Jonnyram

Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,828
1
0
Neo Tokyo
BobTheFork said:
eh too fast, too easy, whichever you want to call it.
So what about a platinum trophy (theoretical) in Avatar, or Fight Night 3, or King Kong? You see where I'm going?

Often the smaller arcade-like titles are more indicative of skill. It shouldn't be a time-based or price-based reward.
 

BobTheFork

Member
Feb 14, 2005
25,070
0
0
41
Denver
Jonnyram said:
So what about a platinum trophy (theoretical) in Avatar, or Fight Night 3, or King Kong? You see where I'm going?

Often the smaller arcade-like titles are more indicative of skill. It shouldn't be a time-based or price-based reward.
honestly no I don't.
Look,m I'm sorry but I have absolutely no problem with them reserving larger rewards for larger games regardless of skill. They can't possibly be expected to redefine trophy value on a game by game basis by determining the skill and time needed for each game. The more expensive disc titles (or large DL titles like WH) will have more trophies and will take longer, and I think that a good enough reason to give them platinums over small titles. If you are questioning why bigger titles will get more trophies, I don;'t know what to tell you.
 
Jun 6, 2004
68,810
0
1,570
DCharlie said:
erm - the name for this was long since decided and it's not as flattering!

Second word.
Sounds like



you can't just call yourself something - this is like being 10 years old and deciding your nickname is "Ace"
i need to make some of those this friday...
 

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dec 7, 2006
27,115
0
1,290
www.vertigogaming.net
So the PAIN trophies have been explained a bit better, as it's a bit confusing since there's already a trophy room and trophies aren't retroactive. They'll be coming out along with the new patch and Amusement Park level in the "summer."



Travis Williams said:
Okay let me speak a little about trophies so we can get on the same page here:

PSN Trophies don’t have to map DIRECTLY to PAIN trophies. So basically that means although you can have 30 PAIN trophies in game your PSN PAIN trophy count could be at 5. You might have to do more. We will continue to add more trophies as we update the game and we get suggestions. I will give you an example. Say to unlock aftermath you need a 1.5 million score on PAINdemonium. You might have to get 2 million on PAINdemonium 5 times to unlock the Aftermathy PSN trophy. So there can be two tiers of trophy functionality. I think this is important as we continue. I will go into this a little more on a separate post. I think this is a good topic that we can discuss in detail. Trophies in PAIN are meant to direct a lot of the gameplay in areas that are more free form.
 

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Jun 7, 2004
23,318
47
1,660
They can't possibly be expected to redefine trophy value on a game by game basis by determining the skill and time needed for each game

to keep it absolutely tight as hell, no - it's unreasonable to expect the effort, but it would be nice to have some guide lines so there's a rough level for people to follow.

I want to avoid the situations we get in XBL land. PSN has a fresh start and they can learn from the mistakes.

As JR says, the last thing you need is games like Avatar that effectively hand out 1000 pts for free.

With a graded achievement set up, i'd have thought it should be based on skill though - though SSHD gets off to a bad start by having the easiest achievement be a gold!

I know it sounds trivial now, but it will become a factor to those wanting to get into the fun of Trophy/achievements.
 

AmMortal

Banned
Jan 23, 2008
6,702
0
0
UK
We must ask around for more games that support it.

Also, is it safe to suggest that when trophies are patched, we also get Custom- Soundtracks?
 

Rand al Thor 19

Junior Member
Aug 30, 2007
293
0
0
The Dark Tower
DCharlie said:
to keep it absolutely tight as hell, no - it's unreasonable to expect the effort, but it would be nice to have some guide lines so there's a rough level for people to follow.

I want to avoid the situations we get in XBL land. PSN has a fresh start and they can learn from the mistakes.

As JR says, the last thing you need is games like Avatar that effectively hand out 1000 pts for free.

With a graded achievement set up, i'd have thought it should be based on skill though - though SSHD gets off to a bad start by having the easiest achievement be a gold!

I know it sounds trivial now, but it will become a factor to those wanting to get into the fun of Trophy/achievements.


There are still going to be games that are going to be easy getting all trophies and earning that platinum just like there are games on the 360 that are an easy 1000. Most developers are not going to make one achievement list and then a different one for trophies for the same game. It will be the same list. So, all those kiddie games will just be handing out platinum's like candy just like they do full 1000s on the 360.
 

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Jun 7, 2004
23,318
47
1,660
Are you kidding me? It's hard as hell. You basically can't loose a life across four levels.

erm - the other gold one :

Split screen Co-op - Get 3 minutes of continuous Co-Op weapon boost on Segomo

and what looks to be the hardest is a silver :

Late Boomer - Get 15 bombs in Bomber

the x10 one is a good one though!

There are still going to be games that are going to be easy getting all trophies and earning that platinum just like there are games on the 360 that are an easy 1000. Most developers are not going to make one achievement list and then a different one for trophies for the same game. It will be the same list. So, all those kiddie games will just be handing out platinum's like candy just like they do full 1000s on the 360.

yes, i agree - but i'm just lamenting that the whole systems weren't thought about before hand.

Not a massive problem, but , you know, nice to have
 

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Dec 3, 2007
1,640
108
1,350
Belgium
Is it true that you can get 1 trophy with the SUper Stardust demo??

I want my first Trophy!!! :D
 

Liabe Brave

Member
Jan 23, 2007
4,509
4
1,140
Lawrenceville, GA
DCharlie said:
erm - the other gold one
I think we may be seeing the effects of trophy caps. Note that the Solo pack added several gameplay modes, and several trophies are linked to it; the Multi pack adds one mode, and allows one trophy. Presumably Housemarque could've split the points into more bronze trophies, but they decided to group it into one gold instead. Since I don't have the Multi pack, I don't know the intrinsic difficulty of this task; but I believe BobtheFork and BeatBox are the only people who've gotten it. Yes, they did it playing "co-op" by themselves, but both of them are literally world-class players of SSDHD, in the top .5%. The task is on the hardest planet, and three minutes would be almost three entire phases in Arcade, or the entire planet in Time Attack.

In any case, while I don't think SSDHD is out of whack in this department, I see your point about standards. . .but I don't see it happening. I expect exactly the same variability in PS3 games as in 360 ones. There's no way Sony would want to spend the manpower verifying true comparative difficulty of 50 or 60 trophies per retail game as part of their cert process.
 

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Dec 3, 2007
1,640
108
1,350
Belgium
Kingsora said:
Is it true that you can get 1 trophy with the SUper Stardust demo??

I want my first Trophy!!! :D
Anyone? :(
 

Nightz

Member
May 14, 2007
13,363
1
930
Maryland
Aurelius said:
Any word if trophies will be added to Civilization Revolution or Metal Gear Solid 4?
No for Civilization, no word yet for MGS4.

After receiving word that Burnout Paradise creator Criterion Games and Uncharted's developer, Naughty Dog, were planning on supporting their games with trophies patches soon, we were getting quite optimistic about most games receiving the feature. Today, however, three developers have come out to say that they won't be doing so. Namely, Infinity Ward (Call of Duty 4), Insomniac (Resistance and Ratchet & Clank) and 2K Games (Civilization Revolution).

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/03/no-trophy-patches-coming-from-infinity-ward-insomniac-or-2k-gam/
 

reakt

Member
May 26, 2007
603
0
0
UK
ps3speech.blogspot.com
Liabe Brave said:
I think we may be seeing the effects of trophy caps. Note that the Solo pack added several gameplay modes, and several trophies are linked to it; the Multi pack adds one mode, and allows one trophy. Presumably Housemarque could've split the points into more bronze trophies, but they decided to group it into one gold instead. Since I don't have the Multi pack, I don't know the intrinsic difficulty of this task; but I believe BobtheFork and BeatBox are the only people who've gotten it. Yes, they did it playing "co-op" by themselves, but both of them are literally world-class players of SSDHD, in the top .5%. The task is on the hardest planet, and three minutes would be almost three entire phases in Arcade, or the entire planet in Time Attack.

In any case, while I don't think SSDHD is out of whack in this department, I see your point about standards. . .but I don't see it happening. I expect exactly the same variability in PS3 games as in 360 ones. There's no way Sony would want to spend the manpower verifying true comparative difficulty of 50 or 60 trophies per retail game as part of their cert process.

According to PS3fanboy the gold trophy (co-op play one) is not all that tricky to get!
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/02/trophy-guide-super-stardust-hd/

I haven't tried out their suggested method of getting the trophy. I don't think that HouseMarque intended for it to be "earned" in this way! I reckon the purpose of it is to promote the co-op gameplay (rather than have one person complete it with two controllers), particularly as they have an on-line co-op expansion pack coming soon (as I recall).
 

DarkJC

Member
Aug 7, 2007
2,890
0
0
Ontario, Canada
reakt said:
According to PS3fanboy the gold trophy (co-op play one) is not all that tricky to get!
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/02/trophy-guide-super-stardust-hd/

I haven't tried out their suggested method of getting the trophy. I don't think that HouseMarque intended for it to be "earned" in this way! I reckon the purpose of it is to promote the co-op gameplay (rather than have one person complete it with two controllers), particularly as they have an on-line co-op expansion pack coming soon (as I recall).

I did find it odd that the two hardest trophies in the game are silver, I believe a previous poster was right when he said we're seeing the side effects of trophy caps. Since those two very hard trophies are in the solo expansion pack, they probably didn't have enough points allocated to them to make them both gold.
 

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Jun 7, 2004
15,451
9
0
San Francisco
Updated the OP with a list of some of the more popular games that won't have trophies added. And added the trophy tidbits that have come out about PAIN and LBP.
 

Dr. Zoidberg

Member
Nov 6, 2004
8,239
31
1,300
GDJustin said:
Well, it *might* make a noise, I guess. SSHD is pretty intense and I might not have heard it. Either way, the "notice" is much less intrusive than the 360's. It was tucked over in the corner.

The "notice" needs to be a little more intrusive if you ask me. I was playing SSD last night and got 4 trophies in the same game. I only noticed two of them while playing. The others I thought I got cheated out of until I hit the button and checked my own listing out. They either did not appear during gameplay or they are simply too far over in the corner to notice.
 

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jun 10, 2004
24,539
3
1,560
Italy
www.iwagglevr.com
NullPointer said:
I still don't get how platinum trophies will work with future game add-ons.

Scenario:

* Buy retail game, unlock all trophies thus unlocking platinum trophy.
* 6 months later, new game add-on content released with new trophies.

Would add-ons have their own platinum trophy? Or would only the base games themselves have platinum trophies with add-on content being optional?

Too early to tell I guess. Someone needs to get on this shit. Achievement whores (not a farmer) like myself have nothing to do but ponder about this kind of crap until some games get patched.

Was this question ever answered?

Also, may I have a source different from Wollan (LOL) regarding the "No Platinums in Small Games" statement? I can't find any official confirmation about this.
 

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Mar 7, 2006
13,311
0
0
United Kingdom
Hail to the Chimp will not have trophy support

Hey mark
Whats up?
At the moment we don't have Hail to the Chimp trophies planned.
Cool? thanks
rob
 

tanod

when is my burrito
Dec 15, 2006
11,704
1
1,230
Iowa
TTP said:
Was this question ever answered?

Also, may I have a source different from Wollan (LOL) regarding the "No Platinums in Small Games" statement? I can't find any official confirmation about this.

I think the trophies video on the PS blog is where you will find that information.
 

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jun 10, 2004
24,539
3
1,560
Italy
www.iwagglevr.com
tanod said:
I think the trophies video on the PS blog is where you will find that information.

Already checked. He only talks about the amount you can find in large and small scale games. Doesn't specificy about Platinum. Only says you get Platinums when you get the rest. Period.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jun 8, 2004
21,854
2
0
DCharlie said:
and what looks to be the hardest is a silver :
Nah.

As JR says, the last thing you need is games like Avatar that effectively hand out 1000 pts for free.
Hey, not every game is built with GAF e-penis brandishing sessions in mind. This just exposes the weaknesses of trying to standardize a system like this across completely disparate games targeted at different audiences. The disparity will only become more pronounced as the 360/PS3 attract wider audiences. If a game is legitimately developed with children in mind, for example, you can't expect them to be as stingy with the pts as a game that panders to the hardcore.
 

Pimpwerx

Member
Jun 7, 2004
26,261
1
0
305 'til I die
What about different versions of the same game? For instance, I had GT5P(JP) from a gameshare, and then bought the BD when it came to the US. I believe it made two save files. Is it possible that you could earn multiple trophies for the same game? I mean, could I conceivably earn 34 SSHD trophies? I would test it out, but I really couldn't be bothered to try the gameshare again. PEACE.
 

faust666

Member
Jun 7, 2004
275
0
0
But they would be spread out over multiple psn IDs wouldn't they? I know it sounds counterintuitive but growing multiple E-peens wouldn't impress your friends as much as growing one large one.
 

Xater

Member
Jul 28, 2007
48,001
4
0
So what about Wipeout HD? The game has been pushed back so many times, at least we can expect trophies right?
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jun 8, 2004
21,854
2
0
faust said:
I know it sounds counterintuitive but growing multiple E-peens wouldn't impress your friends as much as growing one large one.
Unless...nvm, I don't want to go there.
 

h3ro

Member
Aug 15, 2007
25,996
0
935
NY
I just played the demo, but now SSHD is in my Trophy section, with a big fat 0% :(

I'm not going to be able to get rid of it, am I?
 

Dark Fact

Member
Jun 22, 2004
103
0
0
I am not sure if I just missed it when it was mentioned, or if it just slipped by without anyone mentioning it, but when you download the SSHD trophy patch it deletes your save file, and thus ALL of your stats in the game, except the Leaderboard Score cause that is saved on the server, not your save file.

Perhaps this was a small occurrence, and only happened to me and the friends I questioned about it, but somehow I doubt that.

Anyone else bothered by this like I am? I was seriously was upset when I noticed this as I had spent a good amount of time on the game, and was quite proud of my stats (I have since played enough to trump all my stats before, but still). It is really just a lazy way to fix the save file problem that could have easily been avoided and fix subsequently.

I just hope they don't do this with all the other games that are getting retro trophy patches as I am not as willing to replay all those games mentioned just to get what I already had. If you have to in order to get the trophies, that is fine, but don't delete what I have already done.
 

mollipen

Member
Oct 7, 2005
19,763
3
810
Silent Hill
morningproject.com
So, I hit level 2 yesterday (god damn you Sony for figuring out a way for me to actually care about achievement points), and noticed that I'm already a decent way to level 3.

What I'm wondering is if Sony has built any kind of scaling at all into the level system. If it's going to take the exact same amount of points to get to each next level, that's going to kind of take some of the fun out of the whole system.