• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Thread of PS3 Trophy Whoring & gamer leveling (also FAQ)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
As you probably know, the PS3 now has achiev... err... trophies, courtesy of patch 2.40. In this topic, we talk about them.

Current games with trophies available - as of 7/02
Super Stardust HD
(that's it, for now)

Games that WILL NOT have trophy support - so stop asking
Call of Duty 4
Resistance 1
Ratchet and Clank
Civilization Revolution

Games that will be getting trophies at some point, or upcoming games that include trophies (thanks to nofi)

Buzz: Quiz TV: will reportedly be patched on launch, Friday 4th.
Pain: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
PixelJunk Eden: Will launch with Trophies.
Uncharted: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
NovaStrike: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
Warhawk: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
Burnout Paradise: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
Resistance 2: Will launch with Trophies.
MotorStorm 2: Will launch with Trophies.
fl0w: Apparently up for debate.
SOCOM: Will launch with Trophies.
LittleBigPlanet: Will launch with Trophies.
BioShock: Will apparently launch with Trophies.

FAQ

Q. When an older game has trophies patched in, will they retroactively be awarded for things you accomplished?

A. Supposedly yes. In practice, so far, no. Trophies patched into older title can be awarded automatically, according to Sony. I can confirm that this is NOT the case with SSHD, though. I loaded the game up and installed the trophy patch, but NO trophies were given to me, despite having met the requirements of several of them.

Warhawk's trophy patch is confirmed to have some trophies that will be awarded for prior accomplishments.

Q. Do unlocked trophies have points attached to them, ala 360 gamer points?

A. Sort of. There is no point value attached, but all games have bronze, silver, and gold trophies, corresponding to their difficulty. All gamers have a "gamer level" - you begin at level 1, and level yourself up with trophies. The amount the leveling bar moves corresponds to the level of the trophy earned.

So, you still have a range of easy and hard goals, and you still have an OVERALL level that sits on top of all your games - same as the 360. It's just presented differently.

You can also earn a "platinum" trophy by earning all of a game's other trophies. Presumably this significantly boosts your gamer level. Platinums are only available in bigger titles - not smaller downloadable games.

Q. Do games have a set number of trophies they can add, ala the 1000 gamerpoint and 50 achievement limit on the 360?

A. Unknown. Although it seems likely. SSHD has 9 bronze, 6 silver, and 2 gold trophies, for the record. Warhawk's trophy patch includes 56 trophies to be earned.

Q. Do earned trophies "pop up" in game when achieved?

A. Yes!

MISC.

- In SSHD, some of the trophies require the DLC expansion pack. BOOOOOO @ Sony for allowing this. It's impossible to earn 100% of SSHD's trophies without the DLC. They should have followed Xbox's lead and had separate trophies for the core game and for the DLC.

This is further emphasized by the fact that you have a % progress bar for the trophies you've earned in each game. Unless you have the SSHD DLC, that bar will never read 100%

SSHD's trophies, courtesy of PS3 Fanboy:

Bronze Trophies

* Hero of Lave - Complete planet Lave
* Hero of Coventina - Complete planet Coventina
* Hero of Nemain - Complete planet Nemain
* Hero of Taranis - Complete planet Taranis
* Hero of Segomo - Complete planet Segomo
* The Tokenizer - Collect 5 tokens with a single boost in Arcade
* Scrooge MacBoom - Get 10 bombs in Arcade
* Extra Ships Optional - Survive 7 minutes without dying in Endless*
* Close Encounters - Survive 45 seconds without shooting or using bombs in Survival*

Silver Trophies

* Token Hoarder - Collect 15 tokens with a single boost in Arcade
* Well Prepared - Get 20 bombs in Arcade
* Shield Blaster - Collect 5 shield tokens while already having a shield
* Scenic Route - Complete a planet without using boost
* Late Boomer - Get 15 bombs in Bomber*
* Shock and Awe - Destroy 10 nukes in Endless*

Gold Trophies

* Multiplier Hero - Get 10x multiplier
* Split screen Co-op - Get 3 minutes of continuous Co-Op weapon boost on Segomo*

* These trophies require the purchase of additional expansion content.

Details on Warhawk's trophy patch, courtesy of Killthee:

First off, there are 56 trophies included in the Warhawk v1.5 Patch. These are broken down into a couple of categories:

* There are 10 trophies based on the Warhawk's current stats/rank/awards system. Like getting all your Bronze badges, attaining a specific rank, or earning a number of medals.
* There are 34 trophies that are entirely *new* rewards based on Warhawks core game and not based on our current stats, ranks or other awards.
* There are then 4 trophies per booster pack that are, of course, completely new awards.

Little Big Planet trophy Tidbit:

David Smith: We've been having a lot of fun working out what trophies most fit our game. Because we have this catchphrase of 'Play, Create, Share', the trophies (and indeed some of the other scoring systems) reflect this. One of the trophies is close to what you've suggested - for somehow making your sackperson be thrown at some huge velocity. You'll probably need to make a machine using the create tools.

PAIN trophy explanation:

Okay let me speak a little about trophies so we can get on the same page here:

PSN Trophies don’t have to map DIRECTLY to PAIN trophies. So basically that means although you can have 30 PAIN trophies in game your PSN PAIN trophy count could be at 5. You might have to do more. We will continue to add more trophies as we update the game and we get suggestions. I will give you an example. Say to unlock aftermath you need a 1.5 million score on PAINdemonium. You might have to get 2 million on PAINdemonium 5 times to unlock the Aftermathy PSN trophy. So there can be two tiers of trophy functionality. I think this is important as we continue. I will go into this a little more on a separate post. I think this is a good topic that we can discuss in detail. Trophies in PAIN are meant to direct a lot of the gameplay in areas that are more free form.

...so, anyone wanna team up for the Co-Op SSHD trophy soon?

Diagol

GDJustin said:
Q. Do earned trophies "pop up" in game when achieved?

A. Yes! Although it lacks the satisfying "Do-doop!" noise, or any other noise.

I thought they said it made a noise....didn't they even update this on the blog?

GDJustin

Fierydevil said:
I thought they said it made a noise....didn't they even update this on the blog?

Well, it *might* make a noise, I guess. SSHD is pretty intense and I might not have heard it. Either way, the "notice" is much less intrusive than the 360's. It was tucked over in the corner.

Wollan

It makes a noice. It's hard to hear while playing SSHD due to the hectic gameplay but you hear it clearly between levels.

a Master Ninja said:
I think we should use the terms "Trophy Grinding" and "Trophy Grinders".
Agreed.

GDJustin said:
Well, it *might* make a noise, I guess. SSHD is pretty intense and I might not have heard it. Either way, the "notice" is much less intrusive than the 360's. It was tucked over in the corner.

It does make a noise. Ive gotten trophies in between levels and it does let you know.

Ploid 3.0

HUELEN10 said:
We NEEDED this! Thanks! I will team up for the Co-op one as soon as I get that Pak!

Team up as in pass a buddy the second controller, or send a buddy a message telling him it's time to play SSD over psn?

Baker

Banned
Fierydevil said:

It does make a noise. I heard it during the "Beat Planet X" trophies when there was no craziness going on.

Edit: Wow, beat like 10 times.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
a Master Ninja said:

I suggested "Trophy Farmers" in the other thread given the similar connotation...these descriptions sound nicer than 'whore' but I don't know if they'll have as much traction ;)

GDJustin said:
- One note from me: to earn a platinum trophy, you must earn all of a game's trophies. But in SSHD, some of the trophies require the DLC expansion pack. BOOOOOO @ Sony for allowing this. It's impossible to earn platinum in the very first trophy-enabled game without DLC. They should have followed Xbox's lead and had seperate trophies for the core game and for the DLC.

I don't get how this could work long term. Is this only for titles released before 2.4?

Baha

hmm I think farming or grinding makes more sense given that it levels up our account much like an rpg (minus the stat boosts :p). Man I hope Sony is planning on making those levels count for something. Oh, and they should adapt the Disgaea approach to leveling, I want to be level 9999 someday :)

Wollan

Another Error in the faq. You cannot earn Platinum on SSHD no matter what. It's a smaller sized downloadable title. They don't have Platinum trophies.

GDJustin said:
It does make a noise... like... right now.

Edit: Wow, beat like 11 times.

:p

h3ro

Thanks for putting all this info in one place :)

I just hope Konami/Kojipro announce what their plans are for Trophies soon... I want to do the Boss Extreme run for my BB emblem, but I'll wait if it helps me get a Platinum in MGS :D

GDJustin

Baha said:
Man I hope Sony is planning on making those levels count for something.

What they haven't been telling us about Home is that level 1-5 gamers just get a shitty studio apartment with your parent's old furniture.

If you want the pimped out beachside pads they've been showing off at show, expect some serious trophy grinding :D :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
h3ro said:
Thanks for putting all this info in one place :)

I just hope Konami/Kojipro announce what their plans are for Trophies soon... I want to do the Boss Extreme run for my BB emblem, but I'll wait if it helps me get a Platinum in MGS :D

Same. I might hold off just in case.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There is no platinum trophy for SSHD. There won't be for small scale games such as PSN titles.

Take that booooo out of your OP.

faust666

Wollan said:
Another Error in the faq. You cannot earn Platinum on SSHD no matter what. It's a smaller sized downloadable title. They don't have Platinum trophies.

Between this and the no sound thing, I think I know what the GD in the op's name stands for :lol

GDJustin

dallow_bg said:
There is no platinum trophy for SSHD. There won't be for small scale games such as PSN titles.

Take that booooo out of your OP.

I've edited the FAQ but the boo still stands. It's going to drive competionists nuts. You browse through your trophies by game, with a big % bar showing your progress. No DLC, no 100% in SSHD. It's kinda BS.

I still don't get how platinum trophies will work with future game add-ons.

Scenario:

* Buy retail game, unlock all trophies thus unlocking platinum trophy.
* 6 months later, new game add-on content released with new trophies.

Would add-ons have their own platinum trophy? Or would only the base games themselves have platinum trophies with add-on content being optional?

Too early to tell I guess. Someone needs to get on this shit. Achievement whores (not a farmer) like myself have nothing to do but ponder about this kind of crap until some games get patched.

rkenshin

GDJustin said:
I've edited the FAQ but the boo still stands. It's going to drive competionists nuts. You browse through your trophies by game, with a big % bar showing your progress. No DLC, no 100% in SSHD. It's kinda BS.

A "real" completionist would have the complete game

please please PLEASE have trophies for Ratchet and Clank! i beat that game half to death and wouldnt mind doing it again for points

jjasper

GDJustin said:

I agree. Personally I don't care all that much since I would never get 100% in a lot of my games due to not playing online that often but this is going to piss off a lot of people.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
GDJustin said:
Q. Do games have a set number of trophies they can add, ala the 1000 gamerpoint and 50 achievement limit on the 360?

A. Unknown. Although it seems likely. SSHD has 9 bronze, 6 silver, and 2 gold trophies, for the record.
There's a cap on how many gamer level points a game can have, it's up to the developer to decide how many trophies they use and what type of trophies they use to reach the cap. Smaller scale game will have a smaller cap than large scale games and they cannot offer the Platinum Trophy.

Also here's some details on the Warhawk trophies.

First off, there are 56 trophies included in the Warhawk v1.5 Patch. These are broken down into a couple of categories:

* There are 10 trophies based on the Warhawk's current stats/rank/awards system. Like getting all your Bronze badges, attaining a specific rank, or earning a number of medals.
* There are 34 trophies that are entirely *new* rewards based on Warhawks core game and not based on our current stats, ranks or other awards.
* There are then 4 trophies per booster pack that are, of course, completely new awards.

Developing 56 new trophies was a really fun part of the v1.5 production cycle...but 10 of them are based on stats and awards that you, our community may have already earned -- so that's why we made sure that those 10 trophies based on our core stats system would be paid out retroactively. Meaning, that once the v1.5 patch is released, and if you've already earned the requirements for those trophies *bling*bling*bling* Warhawk will pay them out to you!

Lastly, cause I know everyone will be asking the obvious question, when is the v1.5 Patch coming out...we haven't even *officially* announced the v1.4 Patch!!!???

All I am allowed to say is that the v1.4 Patch is very, very, very close to being released and we actually developed the v1.5 Patch in parallel, but staggered, with the v1.4 Patch. The reason we did this is because there are stuffs in the v1.4 Patch that we wanted to get out to everyone ASAP...but the v1.5 patch isn't that far behind!

Teknoman

YAY! Uncharted replaythrough here I come!
Since we got a new HDTV at the beginning of summer thats considerably bigger than the one I played Uncharted on, it'll be even better

Ratchet should have recieved trophies though. Same with MGS4...with all the playthrough options, it's just begging for it.

ascii42

GDJustin said:
It kind of makes sense. You really haven't completed everything if you don't have the DLC.

GDJustin

Killthee said:
There's a cap on how many gamer level points a game can have, it's up to the developer to decide how many trophies they use and what type of trophies they use to reach the cap. Smaller scale game will have a smaller cap than large scale games and they cannot offer the Platinum Trophy.

Also here's some details on the Warhawk trophies.

Added this info to the OP.

And no more whining about ME whining about the structure of SSHD's trophies.

Having to pay more to 100% a game I already paid money to buy = bullshit, period. It's not "OMFG TERRIBLE" but that doesn't mean that it's OK, either.

bryehn

Something else you should point out is that we have no way to view/edit or "gamercard" yet online, which honestly kinda sucks...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
eh, hate how even demos show up in your Trophy section. I only have the demo of SSHD, but yet it shows up in my Trophy list.

The required DLC trophies are lame and I think they'll eventually get rid of them. How are you supposed to reach 100% if you unlock all the trophies prior to the release of DLC, then after its released, would you drop down to 90% or so and lose the platinum trophy? Seems strange how it's set up.

GDJustin said:
Added this info to the OP.

And no more whining about ME whining about the structure of SSHD's trophies.

Having to pay more 100% a game I already paid money to buy = bullshit, period. It's not "OMFG TERRIBLE" but that doesn't mean that it's OK, either.
Actually it is ok. If there is no platinum trophy, why CAN'T they have different trophies for different content? There no extra bonus for getting 100% so you can choose to get the expansions or not.

jonabbey

I sure wish they'd make the trophy announcement notifications a lot more distinctive. Last night while I was grinding on SSHD, I couldn't help but glance up to the corner to see if I got a trophy whenever a friend went on/offline.

I'm really surprised they went so low-fi on the notifications generally.

mollipen

alr1ghtstart said:
eh, hate how even demos show up in your Trophy section. I only have the demo of SSHD, but yet it shows up in my Trophy list.

OH NO!

God dammit, do you never learn anything from Microsoft Sony?

fernoca

An old friend of mine, just got the Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle..and gave me the "Welcome to PlayStation 3" Blu-Ray disc with the code to get Pain..so I'm downloading it now.. :)

Any word on when the "trophy patch" could be released?

Bluforce

I hope that Burnout Paradise's Trophy will be retroactive.

I have completed it at 101% and I don't want unlock all again

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I may have overlooked it and i read in the OP, trophies are not stored on a server right? so when I get my ps3 back, i can log in and still see my trophies that i earned?

It doesn't matter if you can't get 100% in SSHD if you don't have the expansion, because since it's a small PSN game there is no platinum trophy

...right?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

erm - the name for this was long since decided and it's not as flattering!

Second word.
Sounds like

istockphoto_1754261_s_mores_marshmallow_summertime_treat_isolated.jpg

you can't just call yourself something - this is like being 10 years old and deciding your nickname is "Ace"

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Bluforce said:
I hope that Burnout Paradise's Trophy will be retroactive.

I have completed it at 101% and I don't want unlock all again
Already confirmed to be retroactive.
Simon Phipps said:
Okay, here’s what we can say about the details:

* Trophies will be retroactive, so, if you’ve achieved something today, the day the update arrives (not Cagney, we want to emphasise) that will be reflected in your Trophies.

* Your Burnout Paradise save game has always been locked to your PSN id - so there’s never been any chance of trading save games - your progress is your progress (we have a way of thinking ahead for this kind of stuff!)

* The Save Game Analyser works with a special export file that is exported when you do a manual save from the game, not your encrypted save game file - so there’s no chance that anyone could hack that

* That’s as much as we can reveal right now - if you know us and our site, we’ll let you know as soon as we are confident to do so

Thanks for all of the support and positive comments, guys - we really appreciate it.
Houston3000 said:
It doesn't matter if you can't get 100% in SSHD if you don't have the expansion, because since it's a small PSN game there is no platinum trophy

...right?
Correct.

Pimpwerx

alr1ghtstart said:

The required DLC trophies are lame and I think they'll eventually get rid of them. How are you supposed to reach 100% if you unlock all the trophies prior to the release of DLC, then after its released, would you drop down to 90% or so and lose the platinum trophy? Seems strange how it's set up.
Wow! Abort! Mission failed. That's a problem. :( PEACE.

Top Bottom