• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

Bebpo

Banned
Just like Resistance, Gundam can't do 1080i but unlike Resistance it doesn't give you a nice warning.

...it just boots into 480p and you're like WTF WHY IS IT 4:3 AND ALL JAGGY?!?!

jett

D-Member
Bebpo said:
Just like Resistance, Gundam can't do 1080i but unlike Resistance it doesn't give you a nice warning.

...it just boots into 480p and you're like WTF WHY IS IT 4:3 AND ALL JAGGY?!?!

I guess I should stop looking into buying an HDTV CRT. :p

newsguy

So when you guys say resistance isn't doing 1080i, it's still doing 720p fine right? I assume the 480p comments are from older CRT owners who's TVs don't accept 720p. 720p is just fine, my set will upconvert it and it looks crystal clear.

CRT HDTVs are an abomination, like people who go to fancy restaurants and order macaroni and cheese.

From what i recall, CRT HTDVs don't even show all 1080 lines of a 1080i signal anyways, right?

Bebpo

Banned
_leech_ said:
CRT HDTVs are an abomination, like people who go to fancy restaurants and order macaroni and cheese.

From what i recall, CRT HTDVs don't even show all 1080 lines of a 1080i signal anyways, right?

Uh...unless you have a super nice Plasma 1080p tv, my Sony XBR960 CRT most likely kicks your tv's ass.

Leatherface

Finally had a chance to see the PS3 up close and personal today. Some thoughts:

+ PS3 looks very sleek in person (except for the spiderman font logo)
+1080p looks amazing! A very noticable step up over 720p.
+ Games looked very polished

- Controllers are lame. I'm just totally sick of the design. 360 controllers ftw as far as standard controllers go.

- Motorstorm was slooooow. The game would be so much cooler if the physics weren't as floaty and it moved about 10x faster. Are there different speed classes in this game or is that it?

p.s.- love the pics in this thread. Heavenly Sword ftw. When does it come out?

jarosh said:
hillwhat2.gif

Where's this from? :lol

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
_leech_ said:
Relax :lol
He IS RIGHT though. I own one as well and it slaughters anything that costs under $3,000 (I grabbed mine for $600) and is the absolute best for gaming unless you spring for an expensive plasma.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Unfortunately my internet has gone to hell and it takes me two minutes to load up any page.

ANYWAYS

Swung by the local midnight launch store today and TOTAL CHAOS. Although I saw with my very own eyes on the computer that the Hialeah BB is getting 40 units the supervisor at my local store swears up and down that they're receiving 124 units so crisis may be averted. However as of 8pm tonight there were already more than 60 people in line! The ones at the front have been there since 9am. Out of the 10 people I polled 7 of them said they were going to ebay it and 3 of them were unsure. Take that info as you will, this console launch is set up for a combination of awesome and disaster.

If my internet decides to fix myself I will upload the picture I took showing the line snaking around the side of the building.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Bad_Boy said:
mars.

im in north carolina currently.
GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!

j/k, I've always wanted to tell somebody to do that. Congrats on nabbing Resistence and eventual PS3.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, they should just call RR7, RRV II. The jaggies are seriously as bad as RRV :\

Also US vs. Japan online seemed fine with no lag but the guy I was playing against dropped on the 3rd lap...so I dunno....

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My local Fox 5 news station is showing people camping outside bestbuy since Monday night. Called "Anticiplaystation."

Braving long days, longer nights, to get their hands on the high tech console....you've been here since 9 PM Monday night? Are you proud?...I'm gonna be one of the first to get one! One mother has her entire family there (4 year olds and under). Genji and LAIR footage. 20 playstations coming. People playing cards. PS3 is not compatible with some old games (WTF.)

Goes on sale 8 am Friday. It's now raining live on these people.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bebpo said:
Is it just me or is there no...sound when in the menus or in the shop or doing anything on XMB?

Feels sorta wierd...like total silence.

I think you can play music as you browse the webs.

Dante

Y2Kevbug11 said:
My local Fox 5 news station is showing people camping outside bestbuy since Monday night. Called "Anticiplaystation."

Braving long days, longer nights, to get their hands on the high tech console....you've been here since 9 PM Monday night? Are you proud?...I'm gonna be one of the first to get one! One mother has her entire family there (4 year olds and under). Genji and LAIR footage. 20 playstations coming. People playing cards. PS3 is not compatible with some old games (WTF.)

Jesus. man, Thursday is gonna be crazy at the Metreon.

mckmas8808

TekunoRobby said:
Unfortunately my internet has gone to hell and it takes me two minutes to load up any page.

ANYWAYS

Swung by the local midnight launch store today and TOTAL CHAOS. Although I saw with my very own eyes on the computer that the Hialeah BB is getting 40 units the supervisor at my local store swears up and down that they're receiving 124 units so crisis may be averted. However as of 8pm tonight there were already more than 60 people in line! The ones at the front have been there since 9am. Out of the 10 people I polled 7 of them said they were going to ebay it and 3 of them were unsure. Take that info as you will, this console launch is set up for a combination of awesome and disaster.

If my internet decides to fix myself I will upload the picture I took showing the line snaking around the side of the building.

Please upload the pics. I've got to see this.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow. Trying to find JAPANESE players to play an ONLINE FPS during the morning when everyone would be at work is ummm....quite difficult ^^;

I have the feeling getting 40 people together online for Resistance isn't happening until the US launch :p

Bulla564

Banned
TekunoRobby said:

ANYWAYS

MAN!!! I just came from there (went to the gym today). My gf refused to believe that SO MANY people were camping for a gaming console. This is completely insane.

Stealth

Went to the local BB today, they told me they're not selling any PS3 games until Friday (Reward Zone coupon am cry), and the guy was estimating to someone 20-25 units. No lines before 8am Thursday. I WAS planning on getting there Thursday around noon, but since missing the PS3 pre-order, I don't think I can afford to mess this up. Getting a second unit for eBay seems like it's gonna be impossible, though. My bank account is depressed.

Anyone else in the Gainesville region starting to feel a little worried? Our GameStop did only get 2 PS3s...

Sh0k

TekunoRobby said:

ANYWAYS

I passed by the Best Buy in Kendall Drive and there was already a line of around 10 people.

LJ11

Y2Kevbug11 said:

They've been sitting in the rain to boot. :lol

mckmas8808

They just shown on my local news that people are already sitting outside CC.

We are getting 100 PS3s at this location!!!!!

:eek:

J-Rzez

TekunoRobby said:
He IS RIGHT though. I own one as well and it slaughters anything that costs under $3,000 (I grabbed mine for $600) and is the absolute best for gaming unless you spring for an expensive plasma.

Word... Super fine pitch tube owner here too!

J-Rzez

And would someone for the love of whoever, please confirm that you CAN use a BLUE TOOTH headset, that you actually used it... please!!! :lol

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
_leech_ said:

Careful there. Sony's 1080i XBR TVs with the Super Fine Pitch tube get close (approx. 950 lines), and you won't find better color, contrast or depth to an image on ANY TV out there.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Vincey 37 said:
Hope this hasn't been posted, as this thread and the Resistance one are impossibly long.

Sony and Insomniac, I am very, very dissapointed. Resistance will not output in 1080i. It's either 720p, or a 480p blur fest. What a pain in the ass it's going to be to change the screen resolution in the XMB everytime I want to play. Not to mention having to deal with the bad quality resulting from my CRT HDTV's crappy upscaling algorithms :(.

This isn't our fault guys - we were set to support it.

JS

mckmas8808 said:
They just shown on my local news that people are already sitting outside CC.

We are getting 100 PS3s at this location!!!!!

:eek:

Yeah, there are 5 special CC across the country that will get 100 PS3s and it will be a midnight launch too.

I posted the special online ad in the "PS3 Camping plans in view of recent PS3 shipment cuts" thread.

There are apparently 150 people already lined up for the Rockville MD CC.

pcostabel

Gold Member
jstevenson said:
Careful there. Sony's 1080i XBR TVs with the Super Fine Pitch tube get close (approx. 950 lines), and you won't find better color, contrast or depth to an image on ANY TV out there.

No, those are VERTICAL lines of resolution. All CRT sets display all 1080 horizontal lines (540 per field), but the number of horizontal pixels is limited by the resolution of the phosphore mask. So that set displays 950x1080i.

bill0527

I finally got to see and play a PS3 firsthand tonight. First off, I'm a current 360 owner and have no plans on getting a PS3 until next year because I'm not going through the launch fiasco again that I went through with the 360. If that pisses you off or makes you think I'm biased in any way, then so be it, just save your "I stopped reading right there" comments.

I walked into Best Buy at 8:10pm and they had just finished hooking their demo unit up about 1 minute before I got there. It was almost like they knew I was coming .....

The kiosk looks very similar to the kiosk sitting right next to it, which houses an Xbox 360. Both systems have their kiosks sitting on endcaps right next to each other with only 4-5 feet of aisle space sitting between them. They are very close together and people will have no trouble at all looking at both displays at the same time and making side-by-side judgements of each system.

Both kiosks are using the same display - it looked to be a 20-27" widescreen Sony LCD of some type. It was funny seeing a 360 hooked up to a Sony display.

I checked to make sure they were using an HDMI cable for the PS3 and they were.. at least somebody got it right at that store.

I was the first non-employee to get my grubby little mitts on the system. Its very sleek looking and about the size I expected. Its not a small gaming system by any stretch of the imagination. They have it housed vertically inside the case with the Playstation 3 logo side facing the crowd.

Blu-Ray was stamped everywhere on the case and they also have a vertical Blu-Ray marketing multi-level display bin that I assume will be filled with Blu-Ray movies on launch day. Its sitting right next to the end cap for the PS3. Its clear they are going to be pushing Blu-Ray hard as a feature of this system.

The sixaxis controller is very, very light. Its not flimsy, but I definetely would not throw this controller in a fit of range because you missed the power-up or can't kill the boss. The analog sticks are much looser than they were on the dual shock 2, and even much looser than the 360 analog sticks. I picked up the 360 controller at the kiosk right next to it and had the 360 controller in my left hand and the PS3 controller in my right hand at the same time moving the sticks on each controller, and the sixaxis analogs aren't near as tight. I was testing the analogs of each controller at the same time, with a zoned out look of concentration on my face. I probably had that same look when I rubbed my first set of female nipples.

The only game I got to try out was a demo of Motorstorm. It was not that impressive at this point, but I can definetely see the potential for a AAA game if they can improve the framerate and clean up the textures. The demo is the 360 kiosk was Need for Speed Carbon.

The manager was standing right next to me and I asked if they had any other demos I could try and he said they had a few more, but his store policy was that only E or Teen rated games would be displayed in his store. He said this is why there will be no Gears of War demo shown in the 360 kiosk as well.

Resistance can't display 1080i? My 5-year-old HDTV can only accept 480i/480p/1080i as input, and the vast majority of sets back then were the same.

My set is made by Sony, for chrissakes.

Are you telling me that if you have a set that can't take 720p as input, that you can only play some games in 480i/p?

The encoder in the 360 can convert any internal framebuffer resolution that is used to 480i or 480p or 720p or 1080i. A game can render 720p but still output correctly as 1080i. Is this not the case in the PS3?

LJ11

bill0527 said:
I finally got to see and play a PS3 firsthand tonight. First off, I'm a current 360 owner and have no plans on getting a PS3 until next year because I'm not going through the launch fiasco again that I went through with the 360. If that pisses you off or makes you think I'm biased in any way, then so be it, just save your "I stopped reading right there" comments.

I walked into Best Buy at 8:10pm and they had just finished hooking their demo unit up about 1 minute before I got there. It was almost like they knew I was coming .....

The kiosk looks very similar to the kiosk sitting right next to it, which houses an Xbox 360. Both systems have their kiosks sitting on endcaps right next to each other with only 4-5 feet of aisle space sitting between them. They are very close together and people will have no trouble at all looking at both displays at the same time and making side-by-side judgements of each system.

Both kiosks are using the same display - it looked to be a 20-27" widescreen Sony LCD of some type. It was funny seeing a 360 hooked up to a Sony display.

I checked to make sure they were using an HDMI cable for the PS3 and they were.. at least somebody got it right at that store.

I was the first non-employee to get my grubby little mitts on the system. Its very sleek looking and about the size I expected. Its not a small gaming system by any stretch of the imagination. They have it housed vertically inside the case with the Playstation 3 logo side facing the crowd.

Blu-Ray was stamped everywhere on the case and they also have a vertical Blu-Ray marketing multi-level display bin that I assume will be filled with Blu-Ray movies on launch day. Its sitting right next to the end cap for the PS3. Its clear they are going to be pushing Blu-Ray hard as a feature of this system.

The sixaxis controller is very, very light. Its not flimsy, but I definetely would not throw this controller in a fit of range because you missed the power-up or can't kill the boss. The analog sticks are much looser than they were on the dual shock 2, and even much looser than the 360 analog sticks. I picked up the 360 controller at the kiosk right next to it and had the 360 controller in my left hand and the PS3 controller in my right hand at the same time moving the sticks on each controller, and the sixaxis analogs aren't near as tight. I was testing the analogs of each controller at the same time, with a zoned out look of concentration on my face. I probably had that same look when I rubbed my first set of female nipples.

The only game I got to try out was a demo of Motorstorm. It was not that impressive at this point, but I can definetely see the potential for a AAA game if they can improve the framerate and clean up the textures. The demo is the 360 kiosk was Need for Speed Carbon.

The manager was standing right next to me and I asked if they had any other demos I could try and he said they had a few more, but his store policy was that only E or Teen rated games would be displayed in his store. He said this is why there will be no Gears of War demo shown in the 360 kiosk as well.

Nice impressions Bill. Disappointed about the loose sticks. What exactly was wrong with the Motostorm textures?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
pcostabel said:
No, those are VERTICAL lines of resolution. All CRT sets display all 1080 horizontal lines (540 per field), but the number of horizontal pixels is limited by the resolution of the phosphore mask. So that set displays 950x1080i.

Thanks for the correction. :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Resistance can't display 1080i? My 5-year-old HDTV can only accept 480i/480p/1080i as input, and the vast majority of sets back then were the same.

Are you telling me that if you have a set that can't take 720p as input, that you can only play some games in 480i/p?

The encoder in the 360 can convert any internal framebuffer resolution that is used to 480i or 480p or 720p or 1080i. A game can render 720p but still output correctly as 1080i. Is this not the case in the PS3?

Like I said, it's not a software issue.

JS

jstevenson said:

JS

I get it. Just a bad Sony design decision. Thanks.

My 360 can convert any supported resolution to 1080i.

My Scientific Atlanta cable box can convert any SD/HDresolution to 1080i, as did the RCA high-def satellite box that I had before that.

My friend's HD-DVD player from Toshiba can convert any SD/HD resolution to 1080i.

PS3 convert games to 1080i? That's crazy talk, I guess.

Stench

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

I am very interested in this as well.

I was planning on running with a 1080i CRT until early next year, but if this is the case...

Riddler

jstevenson said:

JS

So for games that support 1080i , 1080p , 720p I have to go into XMB and switch the resolution option to each game that uses that resolution?

If so I hope they can firmware update a fix cause that sounds broken.

Top Bottom