• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
nincompoop said:

Looks good. If no better arguments for Gunstar Heroes arise, I'll buy this.

braves01 said:
If you're thinking shmups, I highly recommend Star Parodier. It's colorful, fun, the soundtrack is great. The only downsides are the fact that it's easy as far as shmups go (I guess for most people this might be a plus) and it takes up a lot of space (214 blocks iirc).

I don't want to sound elitist or snobbish, but right now I'm only looking at Treasure's catalog. I really want to expand my gaming-cred on the company's history a bit.

Also, I'd prefer something hard. The soundtrack is good, though.

I`m trying to remember the name of a first person dungeon crawler that I believe came out on the Genesis. Are there any other games in the (sub)genre that came out on the system besides Shining in the Darkness?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Regulus Tera said:
I don't want to create a new thread for this, so bear with me.

I've been looking to get something actiony and finger-twitchy enough for about a month now. I've been thinking of jumping into a Treasure title, and the first thing that caught my attention was Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis. Does it stand well in comparison to some of their relatively recent efforts? Are there any other Treasure titles in the Virtual Console that I should notice?

For the record, the only Treasure games I've played are Sin and Punishment, Bangai-Oh Spirits, and Ikaruga.

I've played Gunstar Heroes, the three other games you mentioned, Gunstar Super Heroes, Alien Soldier, and Dynamite Headdy.

And the original Gunstar Heroes is still my favourite Treasure game.

If you're even slightly into run and gun shooters, then Gunstar Heroes is more than worth it. The level design is bursting with variety and the bosses are some of the finest I've seen in a game. It's also a spectacle just watching how much Treasure pushed the Genesis to its limits.

In short: get Gunstar Heroes.

Tim-E

Regulus Tera said:
I don't want to create a new thread for this, so bear with me.

I've been looking to get something actiony and finger-twitchy enough for about a month now. I've been thinking of jumping into a Treasure title, and the first thing that caught my attention was Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis. Does it stand well in comparison to some of their relatively recent efforts? Are there any other Treasure titles in the Virtual Console that I should notice?

For the record, the only Treasure games I've played are Sin and Punishment, Bangai-Oh Spirits, and Ikaruga.

Gunstar Heroes is absolutely wonderful. If you like those Treasure games, you should love it.

Jiggy

I haven't played Alien Soldier, but the fact that it doesn't have co-op is one argument in favor of Gunstar Heroes. :p Especially given that the phrase "all other things being equal" applies perfectly: same game genre, same game system, same game developer.

Marvie_3

Banned
Capndrake said:
ESRB rated games not yet released?

I think it's:

-A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia (NES)
-EarthBound (SNES)
-Nobunaga's Ambition (SNES)
-Pilotwings (SNES)
-Pro Wrestling (NES)
-Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
Any of these tomorrow will be fine with me Nintendo. :D

Jiggy

I just want Super Smash Bros., M.U.S.H.A., or Ogre Battle already, out of the ESRB-rated or coming-to-Japan crowd. And since for four weeks now NA's gotten either a good game or a big-name game, I'm feeling oddly optimistic here. :/

Hobbun

Capndrake said:
Hudson's told me their WiiWare plans for Europe this month and the next three:

January 30th: Pop 'Em, Drop 'Em SameGame
February: Snowboard Riot
March: Onslaught (No info yet)
April:
Adventure Island
(No info yet)

Come on Hudson, where's Faxanadu!

Also, SNK is releasing all of those Neo Geo fighting games for the VC, correct? Would really love to see Crystalis.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Jiggy said:
I haven't played Alien Soldier, but the fact that it doesn't have co-op is one argument in favor of Gunstar Heroes. :p Especially given that the phrase "all other things being equal" applies perfectly: same game genre, same game system, same game developer.
These two games are way different.

Gunstar Heroes' main gimmick (the weapon combining system) puts a strong emphasis on experimentation and settling into a groove that you like. There are over a dozen weapon configurations for you to play around with, but the game is forgiving enough so that it's reasonably easy to beat no matter which combination you go with. Alien Soldier, on the other hand, has no combination system. Instead, the designers crammed as many different attacks and techniques onto a 3-button control scheme that they could think of and forced the player to master each and every one of them in order to make any progress at all.

Gunstar Heroes is by far the more accessible of the two, and it has co-op. For these reasons, I generally consider it to be the more appealing option to most gamers and would recommend it to most people over Alien Soldier.

I personally enjoy Alien Soldier more, though, as it is geared toward people who thought Gunstar Heroes was too easy and didn't have enough bosses.

EDIT: I made a thread about Alien Soldier a while back that may be of some use.

Jiggy

Not sure if this was how you interpreted me, but I wasn't suggesting that they're the same right down to the mechanics that mean all the world to genre fans--I wouldn't have assumed that much. Just saying they're both run-and-guns made by Treasure for the Genesis, and so normally-major considerations like game genre, developer pedigree, and system capabilities are all cast aside here.

wsippel

Banned
Capndrake said:
Hudson's told me their WiiWare plans for Europe this month and the next three:

January 30th: Pop 'Em, Drop 'Em SameGame
February: Snowboard Riot
March: Onslaught (No info yet)
April:
Adventure Island
(No info yet)
Onslaught? European name for Madsecta, Hudsons WiiWare FPS, I guess.

Capndrake

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 19, 2009

Wii™ owners know all about the power of motion, and this week's additions to the Wii Shop Channel deliver some cool new reasons to keep on moving. Race, jump and skid in a high-powered hot rod. Slide, shoot and score in a glide hockey showdown. Soar, swoop and battle in a futuristic armored fighter. With fun, invigorating games like these, the only thing you won't be able to do is sit still.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

High Voltage Hot Rod Show™ (High Voltage Software, Inc., 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): High Voltage Hot Rod Show is a slick and fast-paced racer that challenges up to four players to tear up the track on a variety of off-road courses, mastering death-defying stunts and building enough Boost to stomp the competition. Players must learn to tame their monster Hot Rods by nailing ramps, power slides, bunny hops and tricks while avoiding mud pits and smashing through Boost Rings to fill their Boost Meters. Players can compete against seven CPU opponents in Championship mode or set their best lap times in the time trials. Top times can be uploaded to an online scoreboard via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection* and shared with players around the world. Multiplayer supports up to four players in split-screen mode, giving each player a wide range of controller choices. (Router and broadband access required for online play. For more information, go to www.Nintendo.com.)

Family Glide Hockey (Aksys Games, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy are back for more family fun, and this time it's glide hockey. Hone your skills in a gymnasium, a forest park, a beach, an amusement park, even the freezing Arctic. Family Glide Hockey sports appealing cel-shaded graphics and endearing music to go with its friendly, competitive match-ups. Choose between single-player mode, versus mode (up to four players can play), or challenge your skill in engaging minigames such as Glide Hockey Brawl, Glide Hockey Drill and Glide Hockey Tracer.

Virtual Console™

MUSHA™ (SEGA GENESIS, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone—Mild Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): MUSHA is a SEGA GENESIS game that shooter fans favor for its intense and exciting gameplay. Players must control Terri, a girl who pilots a MUSHA (Metallic Uniframe Super Hybrid Armor). Terri's goal is to eliminate Dire 51, an Intellicomputer that has gone out of control and is planning an offensive attack upon humanity. Use special weapons like the Vanishing Buster, Blazing Beam and Defensive Detonator, along with offensive options that allow six types of formation fire. Battle through seven exhilarating levels to finally reach and destroy Dire 51 once and for all.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

3 games in the last month that haven't been released in Europe, Hanabi Festival can't come soon enough :(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ho-ly shit. out of all the games I NEVER thought I would see on VC.

Definitely won't appeal much to non-shooter fans, but for shooter fans this is definitely one of the best shooters on the Genesis and one of the best chiptunes soundtracks of all time.

Rlan

Ahahahahahahahahaha.

The official screenshots for High Voltage Hot Rod Show On the Nintendo Press Site:

2198hlg.jpg

Congrats Capndrake, looks like even Nintendo look to us to actually know anything about WiiWare :lol :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gunstar Heroes it is, then. I'll make Alien Soldier my next purchase after this, as long as EarthBound or Smash doesn't interfere.

Thanks doods.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Rlan said:
Ahahahahahahahahaha.

The official screenshots for High Voltage Hot Rod Show On the Nintendo Press Site:

[IMhttp://i44.tinypic.com/2198hlg.jpg[/IMG]

Congrats Capndrake, looks like even Nintendo look to us to actually know anything about WiiWare :lol :lol

Oh Snap :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
guru logi champ is one of the best puzzle games ever made. if it were put on dsiware i would rethink my staunch skepticism of a higher power.

MUSHA!

I've never played this one, as a non Genesis owner, but this game was near the top of my VC wishlist. Awesome news. Given how fast Compile's shooters on NES and SNES hardware are, I'm looking forward to seeing what they could do with blast processing.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nice, MUSHA is a game I've been wanting to play for a looong while. But still, one game on the VC a week is getting REALLY annoying, especially since most of the WiiWare releases are inferior to a lot of the classic games.

I honestly didn't know what Musha was(Obviously, I'm part of the problem), so I looked it up on youtube. And lo did I find a huge review of the game. It's a seven parter, and really shows off exactly why everyone is so excited. The game looks great, and sounds really, really good.

Jiggy

Woke up and turned on the Wii and said to myself out loud that I must be stupid because there probably wasn't anything worth looking at--but instead I downloaded MUSHA so fast that my Internet died in the twenty seconds between then and when I came to GAF to say that I'd downloaded it.

Edit: I really hope this means high chances for Space Megaforce/Super Aleste (same series) later!

Might even get Family Glide Hockey too, though I didn't do it on impulse. I don't really regret buying Family Table Tennis even though I've spent barely any time with it and even though it was more barebones than Wii Sports Tennis; I thought its controls were better at least in the sense that I never hit the ball by accident, and if that could carry over to air hockey then hey. I'll wait for others' thoughts, though, whether here or elsewhere.

Edit 2: Well, so much for that. http://www.wiiware-world.com/reviews/2009/01/family_glide_hockey

For some strange reason, instead of allowing the player to control the paddles using the Wii Remote's motion sensing technology, they instead mapped the control of the paddle to the Wii Remote's D-pad or the Nunchuk's analog stick.
I know I'm about as anti-innovation as gamers come, but even I would say that an air hockey game is being done a serious injustice with D-pad or analog stick controls. :/ Bizarre design decision at work.

Baron

Holy crap @ Musha! Fastest I've ever ran to my Wii and downloaded a game, ever.

And yes Jiggy, I hope Super Aleste/Space Megaforce makes its way out as well. Too bad we'll probably never see Sapphire now since Hudson quit on the VC. :(

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
MUSHA, what a pleasant surprise. :D I honestly didn't expect much for this week; clearly the key to getting good games on Monday is to have absolutely no expectations.

Was MUSHA developed by the Compile team that became Milestone?

Wikipedia claims that the team that wanted to make shooters left because the core team didn't like making shooters anymore, and founded Milestone, and made Chaos Sheield, Radilgy, Karous, etc.

Shame, as those games weren't that well recieved, but MUSHA obviously was an awesome game!

Strange. I guess it was the core team that made MUSHA so good.

Baron

xSL4INx said:
With releasing MUSHA this week, all Nintendo needs to do now is release Aerofighters really soon.

I'd prefer Pulstar or Blazing Star over Aerofighters, myself. Now that Hudson is out of the VC business, I have to look to the Neo Geo and Genesis for my VC shoot-em-up fixes.

Insaniac

anyone interested in the high voltage racing game too? It made me curious when they released the trailer and it sounded a lot like excite truck on a smaller scale

Apenheul

Capndrake said:
Interview with John Rowlands (Mayhem in Monsterland, Creatures) about C64 on the European VC on the UK Nintendo Channel:

Part 1, Part 2

I'm confused, did Rowlands get the Wii Points from the interviewer or did he just have to sign them? :\

Capndrake

Apenheul said:
I'm confused, did Rowlands get the Wii Points from the interviewer or did he just have to sign them? :\
I guess the interviewer kept the case or something? You do see him playing IK+ on the Wii for a bit so he must've gotten points.

Hero of Legend said:
Was MUSHA developed by the Compile team that became Milestone?

AFAIK the only Compile shooter anyone at Milestone worked on was Zanac X Zanac on the PSX.

However, some of MUSHA team were among those that left Compile earlier to found Raizing.

And a note about these departures-none of the developers of Zanac or The Guardian Legend were part of either one.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
xSL4INx said:
With releasing MUSHA this week, all Nintendo needs to do now is release Aerofighters really soon.
I wouldn't say that's all they need to do. Thunder Force 3, 4, and Lightening Force aren't up, among others.

pakkit

Banned
I've got a bit of shmup fatigue, but High Voltage's Hot Rod Racers looks interesting to me, particularly since it has online play. Any impressions?

A lot of old games just don't hold up when you go back and play them today...MUSHA is not one of those games.

Man it's as good as I remember, and still one of the best uses of option drones in a shmup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom