• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Game Installs thread

Teknoman

If Sonic Unleashed turns out to be good game, im definitely installing that.

I know i'll put on Ninja Gaiden II and Fable II. Ugh, I need another hard drive.

A quick piece of info regarding Fallout 3 on the HDD. I noticed a few stutters with VATS that weren't there when streaming from the disc. Strange. Either way, I have to track down a 60GB drive with a transfer cable by Christmas.

Marvie_3

Banned
Sean said:
Warriors Orochi (6.4 GB)
Warriors Orochi 2 (6.8 GB)
No freakin way.... Played the crap out of both of these but they are nothing but souped up PS2 games. I can't believe the install sizes for these 2 are that big..

burgerdog

disappeared said:
A quick piece of info regarding Fallout 3 on the HDD. I noticed a few stutters with VATS that weren't there when streaming from the disc. Strange. Either way, I have to track down a 60GB drive with a transfer cable by Christmas.

No stutter during VATS on my install, weird.

I've only played through the first dungeon and I've NEVER played it off the DVD as I was waiting for this update.
So while I can't compare with DVD readtimes, I can tell you that loading is pretty much non existant! From loading your save to traversing the game period. There IS this delayed load the very first fight you engage in every time you load from a save. After that, those loads are instantaneous as well....

And yes, I can hear the actual fucking game

So basically a game with an already great engine has been made even better!

Have they addressed whether or not the pop-in that's in Mirror's Edge will be reduced to look more like the demo that they put out?

It's a huge difference in the amount.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oozer3993 said:
Mirror's Edge is 5.7GB. I don't have the space open (20GB HDD am cry) so I don't know if there are any differences.

I hope the HDD loading helps, it's annoying when some parts of the level have a loading wait. It breaks up the flow of the speed runs.

Wario64 said:
I hope the HDD loading helps, it's annoying when some parts of the level have a loading wait. It breaks up the flow of the speed runs.

Agreed, it's really unforgivable the points at which it loads too, sometimes it's when you're fleeing right after a level begins!

What were they thinking?

Ramenman

acm2000 said:
thats the games fault, it doesnt use HDD cache at all, so has to decompress everything etc, iso on the hdd isnt gonna speed that up much, they never did patch it to support hdd cache :(

What's going to be great is now that devs know players can install games on their console, they can work on making future games more "install friendly".

Iirc Mass Effect isn't using HDD cache because MS didn't want Core buyers to be unable to play their big holiday game.

acm2000

Ramenman said:
What's going to be great is now that devs know players can install games on their console, they can work on making future games more "install friendly".

Iirc Mass Effect isn't using HDD cache because MS didn't want Core buyers to be unable to play their big holiday game.

all games can use hdd cache, theres 1GB (or 2GB? i forget) on every hdd especially for this (and 2GB for xbox1 cache), games can use it when they detect HDD is plugged in, no reason ME didnt, this is why ther eis only 13GB on a 20GB drive, 4GB for cache, then other hidden crap

lilltias

So, basically, Bunige did it fucking right in Halo 3 and now it bites them in the ass.

If people bitch about this they are stupid.

alisdair

I hope this improves the initial load for Burnout Paradise. The less shitty Guns'n'Roses I have to hear before playing the game, the better.

woobit

a Master Ninja said:
It's quite possible the guy has a terrible disc drive. Did the "loading from the HDD" part seem like an improvement over what you are used to?

I'm currently on disc 2 in Lost Odyssey and I've noticed that loading times going to battle scene does vary from place to place. Maybe the part where he is at is one of the slower ones, bacause that was super bad to watch. No way I could play if it was like that all the time.

I hope developers take advantage of the install feature and make it really kick ass :D

Yeah the loadtimes vary, sometimes jarringly, with Lost Odyssey ....I still believe the loading alone adds like 5 hours to the total play time! =P

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah the loadtimes vary, sometimes jarringly, with Lost Odyssey ....I still believe the loading alone adds like 5 hours to the total play time! =P
That particular fight is
the backyard, fight 1
so I'd wager it would be easy enough to do a comparison.

woobit

AgentOtaku said:

NXE saves the day. I hope.

Jewbacca

Banned
Teknoman said:
Maybe the Black Friday (day after thanksgiving) sales will have the HDDs on clearance or something.

The larger harddrive on the retail market (120?) already on clearance at some if not most Target stores.

burgerdog

Ken Masters said:
I only have room for either Gears 2 or Fallout 3 install, which game is better for the install?

that's a little tempting....

Fallout 3. Gears streams most of its data, you'll only notice the improved loading times when: starting or continuing a chapter from the title screen and reloading the game after you die.

Unkind?

Anyone know how improved Saints Row 2 is? Such as, is the screen tearing gone and is the texture pop ins gone or rarely seen?

burgerdog

Unkind? said:
Anyone know how improved Saints Row 2 is? Such as, is the screen tearing gone and is the texture pop ins gone or rarely seen?

Installs are only going to reduce loading. Don't expect graphical problems to disappear with NXE because they're not. Your game is still going to tear and if it has texture pop in then that stays as well.

bengraven

Has anyone tested to see if there's a lot of framerate issues while riding horses in Oblivion?

Yes, this is hte only game I plan on installing since I only have a 20g.

Ricker

I'll test this next week with Last Remnants...I seems it's one of the first game that they really used this feature as they highly recommend installing the game on the HDD...i'll start without the install and see...I have just enough room for 1 game and not a big one though,so I hope it's not over 6 Gigs...

Thanks to getting in the NXE preview I was able to update the Halo 3 results with an installed version comparison... Modified post below:

To do each test we went to the campaign screen and timed from pressing the button on the "Mission Start" option of each level until the loading was complete and the mission was ready to start. As we know, filling the HDD cache results in the initial load time being pretty long... but it's not something loading without the HDD attached suffers from. Also, once the cache is filled, loading the level a second time is much faster (faster than without the HDD attached). Until the cache is overwritten of course.

Results
Caching: DVD & HDD (Filling cache, first load)
Cached: DVD & HDD (Cache present, second load)
NXE 1: As caching, but with game installed to HDD (First load)
NXE 2: As cached, but with game installed to HDD (Second load)
DVD: DVD Only (No HDD attached to cache to, profile on memory card)

Code:
[B]		Caching		NXE 1		Cached		NXE 2		DVD[/B]
Sierra 117	66.2s		109.8s		12.5s		12.3s		25.2s
Crows Nest	85.6s		140.4s		14.2s		14.5s		23.6s
Tsavo Highway	72.0s		121.7s		9.5s		9.8s		18.6s
The Storm	84.4s		135.9s		11.3s		11.4s		21.9s
Floodgate	80.6s		135.9s		12.3s		12.3s		25.2s
The Ark		88.2s		146.5s		13.4s		13.4s		28.5s
The Covenant	99.3s		168.8s		11.5s		11.3s		24.2s
Cortana		59.3s		98.6s		9.5s		9.2s		14.5s
Halo		81.3s		134.5s		12.7s		13.4s		22.1s

On the subject of the cache, from what I could tell it will only hold two levels, so if you load like this:

Sierra 117 -> Crows Nest -> Tsavo Highway

When you cache Tsavo Highway the cache for Sierra 117 is overwritten (This may vary depending on the size of the level, I don't know). To test the cached load times I did the loading / testing in the following order.

Sierra 117 - Ignored
Crows Nest - Ignored
Sierra 117 - Test 2
Tsavo Highway - Test 1
Crows Nest - Test 2
The Storm - Test 1
Tsavo Highway - Test 2
Sierra 117 - Test 1
Halo - Test 2
Crows Nest - Test 1

Conclusion... if you want to play your levels quickly (ignoring everything else) don't bother installing or playing it with a HDD attached. :lol

batbeg

I have just started Lost Odyssey, a few hours in, and I have to say the load times are great so far. I don't think I've seen a load time longer than 5 seconds, and that's shifting from area to area - random encounters are almost instant. Do they get worse as you continue, or is this just awesome news for me?

DeadGzuz

Banned
Great work Psychotext, thanks.

Can anyone verify the DVD spinning noise. Is it gone totally, or does the DVD spin up for any other reason after an install?

DeadGzuz said:
Can anyone verify the DVD spinning noise. Is it gone totally, or does the DVD spin up for any other reason after an install?
It's gone. It spins up once when you load the game (as if to remind you how painful the old days were :lol) and then falls silent.

batbeg said:
I have just started Lost Odyssey, a few hours in, and I have to say the load times are great so far. I don't think I've seen a load time longer than 5 seconds, and that's shifting from area to area - random encounters are almost instant. Do they get worse as you continue, or is this just awesome news for me?

Random encounter loading is the biggest problem, and is the main reason I stopped playing. If encounters are that much faster to load, I will actually install and finish the game :D

Aw, sucks that Crackdown doesn't work. My copy is getting pretty scratched up, and I have a freshly DIY-ed 120GB drive to install to... Ah well.

Flyguy said:
Is the 60GB or 120GB HDD faster?
If I had to guess, I'd assume the 120GB might be slightly faster due to a higher data density, but there are a lot of other factors, so you probably won't notice a difference.

dork

Banned
Teknoman said:
Maybe the Black Friday (day after thanksgiving) sales will have the HDDs on clearance or something.

i can get a used hard drive at christmas pretty cheap from work ;0

Those with Lost Odyssey:

How are multi-disc games working? I assume you have four separate ISOs, but will an ISO for disc 3 work with disc 1 in the tray?

Banned
Another one for the list: Quake 4 (PAL) is 5.9GB installed.

Just wondering, have people compared how Gears 2 runs off a hard drive vs the disc?

I've been getting some pretty bad stuttering with it installed on my 120gb Elite. Is that just the game, or the fact that it's installed?

Top Bottom