• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Magazine closed

Bullet Club

Publication is reportedly one of six magazines Future has discontinued

UK-based publisher Future has closed Official Xbox Magazine.

That's according to our sister site Eurogamer, which reports the magazine was shut down last week and the remaining team let go.

Five other magazines are also said to be closed, but none of them fall within Future's gaming category.

Eurogamer shares an OXM tweet from as recently as Saturday advertising subscriptions, but this has since been removed. The Twitter account remains active, promoting GamesRadar content.

OXM had been running for more than 18 years, having launched in November 2001 around the debut of the original Xbox. It closes in the same year Xbox Series X is expected to launch.

The closure also follows news that Future has also dramatically cut its freelance budget, including for its video games publications.

In a statement to Eurogamer, the company said the decline of games retail has led to a decrease in sales of its magazines. The publisher says its executives took pay cuts to ensure the number of layoffs that might follow be kept "to an absolute minimum."

"Like many organisations right now, we find ourselves being forced into making difficult decisions," reads the statement. "We have a duty of care to all our staff during this time and our focus is on protecting the business for them and for our customers.

"We have introduced a raft of measures to keep the numbers of lay-offs to an absolute minimum, including significant pay cuts for our Executive Team and Board. Whilst the decline in retail footfall impacts our magazine business, we are well placed with significant digital audiences and diversified revenues to continue delivering on our customers' changing needs at this time."

Source: Game Industry

It's time to bring the big guns back, Future.

r9XmsBk.jpg

angelic

Banned
I'd give you a thousand likes for the AP reference. The greatest magazine of all time. It would blow the minds of the Americans on this forum, such as the review that gave a game 1% and compared it to various atrocities like the holocaust.

JLB

Banned
Oh, nostalgia. When I was a kid I got from a relative from Spain magazines like Hobby Consolas and Micromania. Not sure what is the audience for this media nowadays.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
What are the other future titles they’ve binned? Strange timing as I had the 5 issues for £5 today and OXM was one of the mags on offer.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd give you a thousand likes for the AP reference. The greatest magazine of all time. It would blow the minds of the Americans on this forum, such as the review that gave a game 1% and compared it to various atrocities like the holocaust.
LOL. That would have been awesome to read.

Closest bad ratings I saw were some old Computer & Video Game mags from maybe 1984 my bros bought. Saw some F's.

PC Gamer in the 90s would dish out stuff like 12% / 100%.

You don't see content like that anymore.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I actually bought the first 2 issues. They were probably the last magazines I ever bought.

HDYlR6ql.jpg

The one on the right (which I think was the first real issue - the other was a preview) was a great magazine. I actually still have that on a shelf somewhere.

To be honest, I didn't even realize the magazine still existed. Frankly, I don't think the platform hasn't been "unique" enough to justify its own magazine since that original Xbox system.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member

It was very good but I found Stewart Campbell to be a tit, plus they were so far up Sensible Software's backsides it was embarrassing.

SuperGooey

All I know about them is they made up a bunch of shit about Resident Evil 3 remake in a pre-release article, passing off assumptions as fact.

ROMhack

Surprised they lasted this long. You'd typically buy the official ones for exclusive news/previews but it's pointless in the age of the internet.

Edge and Retro Gamer are probably the best magazines left.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Publication is reportedly one of six magazines Future has discontinued

UK-based publisher Future has closed Official Xbox Magazine.

That's according to our sister site Eurogamer, which reports the magazine was shut down last week and the remaining team let go.

Five other magazines are also said to be closed, but none of them fall within Future's gaming category.

Eurogamer shares an OXM tweet from as recently as Saturday advertising subscriptions, but this has since been removed. The Twitter account remains active, promoting GamesRadar content.

OXM had been running for more than 18 years, having launched in November 2001 around the debut of the original Xbox. It closes in the same year Xbox Series X is expected to launch.

The closure also follows news that Future has also dramatically cut its freelance budget, including for its video games publications.

In a statement to Eurogamer, the company said the decline of games retail has led to a decrease in sales of its magazines. The publisher says its executives took pay cuts to ensure the number of layoffs that might follow be kept "to an absolute minimum."

"Like many organisations right now, we find ourselves being forced into making difficult decisions," reads the statement. "We have a duty of care to all our staff during this time and our focus is on protecting the business for them and for our customers.

"We have introduced a raft of measures to keep the numbers of lay-offs to an absolute minimum, including significant pay cuts for our Executive Team and Board. Whilst the decline in retail footfall impacts our magazine business, we are well placed with significant digital audiences and diversified revenues to continue delivering on our customers' changing needs at this time."

Source: Game Industry

It's time to bring the big guns back, Future.

r9XmsBk.jpg
Found it. Hilarious.

I'm going to go through these reviews another day. Look at all the shit reviews! No sucking up to studios from this mag.

I never had an Amiga, loved the Kick Off review. It's not even a review.

Stuart Campbell rains death on games!

ROMhack

Found it. Hilarious.

I'm going to go through these reviews another day. Look at all the shit reviews! No sucking up to studios from this mag.

I never had an Amiga, loved the Kick Off review. It's not even a review.

Stuart Campbell rains death on games!

That's so good haha.

Last edited:
I was a subscriber of Xbox Magazine from the OG Xbox to the middle years of the Xbox 360. Loved getting a demo disc to try out new games. Played the hell out of the COD 2 demo when the 360 launched. Good times but the magazine era iss long gone

McCheese

The one on the right (which I think was the first real issue - the other was a preview) was a great magazine. I actually still have that on a shelf somewhere.

I had a letter printed in that issue, asked if Halo would support 60hz and they said it did.

they were wrong, the PAL version was 50hz with terrible frame-pacing.

Stuart360

Used to be obsessed with game mags when i was younger. Used to buy like 8 a month, and just drool over screens, read them over and over, really filling out my gaming knowledge, taking them to friends and discussing stuff.
Havent bought a mag in i'd say 7 or 8 years, if not more. Its a shame though to see the medium die. Couldnt live without the internet now, but its killed stuff that used to be so important to me (video stores one of the other prime examples, its just not the same now).

Top Bottom