• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Magazine will no longer be published

Jarrod38

http://www.ign.com/blogs/ign_ryan/2014/04/25/thanks-for-everything-official-xbox-magazine
That's why today is such a sad day for me. As of this writing, my former co-workers, friends, and professional family at OXM US are putting their last issue to bed before they are handed their pink slips in the wake of parent company Future Publishing laying off a third of its US staff and ceasing US production of the magazine that gave me my start in this business.
----------------------
Really enjoyed the magazine but sucks when things like this happen.

James-Van-Der-Beek-Crying-On-Dawsons-Creek-Gif.gif

Moofers

And not a single fuck was given.

I kid, I kid. I remember picking this up back in the Xbox OG days. Panzer Dragoon demo, y'all. Back when demos still came on discs. That was the reason to get this mag, I think for most people. Eventually it was just an out of date and overpriced novelty. Still, end of an era I suppose. Pour one out.

*damn, that was maybe a bit insensitive to the staff there. Sorry for being a dick. Best of luck to everyone.

I still have the disc that came with the free DLC for Oblivion. Wizard's Tower and Thieve's Hideout or something like that. Still haven't bought them.

El_Chino

End of an Era. I remember being excited for my issue to arrive in the mail every month when I was younger. I couldn't wait to read the latest in gaming and try the latest demos (long before you could download them). Ah, Those were the days.

RIP OXM.

Schryver

And not a single fuck was given.

I kid, I kid. I remember picking this up back in the Xbox OG days. Panzer Dragoon demo, y'all. Back when demos still came on discs. That was the reason to get this mag, I think for most people. Eventually it was just an out of date and overpriced novelty. Still, end of an era I suppose. Pour one out.

*damn, that was maybe a bit insensitive to the staff there. Sorry for being a dick. Best of luck to everyone.

Yep. I actually kept all the demo discs that it came with in case I wanted to play them again. Think I finally threw them out a few months ago o_O

Jopie

OXM online has the best pdf selection of old issues. I still go and re read the early issues from 2001 thru 2005 on a monthly basis.

This magazine was a great voice for the Xbox early on when the success of the brand was still on the line. The demo discs were always great, and the staff really loved the giant black box.

sucks to see them go.

ItIsOkBro

Well that sucks.

Think a neutral gaming website would be skeptical of hiring anyone that wrote for Official Xbox Magazine.

DocSeuss

Makes me kinda sad. I like magazines. They have a 'look' that can't really be replicated on the internet without awful internet readers.

hoserx

I feel bad for these guys, and I can relate.......... I've written for newspapers, I've written for magazines, and now I work in radio........I'm chasing dinosaurs here because of a passion, and they are too....... I hope the employees catch on somewhere.

Freeman

Banned
Not a great time to be a magazine dedicated to Xbox, the future prospects are particularly not encouraging.

jaypah

Fuck.

Message boards are pretty much becoming the new video game magazines.

GAF is the only site I read for video game news. If it's worth knowing someone will post it. That's kind of sad when I think about it. But it is DUMB convenient.

I hope those working on the mag find some decent work. I sometimes miss reading mags. All I have real life access to is GI.

Not a great time to be and magazine dedicated to Xbox, the future prospects are particularly not encouraging.

Lol, any Xbox related thread.

Fuck.

Message boards are pretty much becoming the new video game magazines.
If you think NeoGAF has the same level of quality content that an editorialized magazine has you're gona have a bad tiiiime. lol

I will miss OXM, they should at least keep the website up.

stn

Dang, used to love that mag. Still have a bunch of the old demo discs, those were always amazing.

lights

If, like me, you're a subscriber, you're still going to get a magazine in the mail every month. It's just going to be written out of Future's UK office by their UK team – a fine band of Xbox superfans, indeed (the editor, Jon "Jonty" Hicks, is good people).

I wonder if they'll even edit anything for the US audience or if it'll literally be exactly the same version as the UK.

Probably one of the top 5 favorite moments of my career was being featured in this magazine.

Good luck on your future endeavors team OXM.

Ocaso

A magazine in this day and age makes no sense to me.

Fixed.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. As someone who loved combing through these I'm sad to see them go, but the writing's been on the wall for print media for a while. Good luck to the staff and hope they land on their feet soon.

EulaCapra

Long read, but did the staff get the heads up this will be their last issue in order to plan final issue segments? I've never picked up this mag, but it would be a damn shame if the final U.S. issue didn't get proper closure that's more than a last minute farewell page.

TomShoe

Banned
Thinking about OPM and OXM being shut down, I can't help but take some time to think and be hit in the face with nostalgia. Those demo discs were the best, shame it's gone.

spongebob.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I subscribed for a couple years... It was good for the first year. Even if the quality dropped off, it still sucks to see yet another game magazine bite the dust.

Top Bottom