• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Magazine will no longer be published

Back when the first Xbox came out and I was super excited I loved that magazine but eventually realized that all these "Official" magazines are just corporate mouthpieces and then the internet got big and you don't need magazines anymore.

El_Chino

51QCHCn01hL._SY445_.jpg
I still have this!

Tripon

Hopefully they can do what the Nintendo Power team did, go digital and form Nintendo Force.

Nintendo Force is a bunch of industry and fan site writers who have written about Nintendo in the past. Its impressive that they got Lucas Thomas, Chris Carter, Tony Ponce, and Jonathan Holmes writing for them.

But they currently do not have anybody that actually worked for Nintendo Power.

Nintendo Force is a bunch of industry and fan site writers who have written about Nintendo in the past. Its impressive that they got Lucas Thomas, Chris Carter, Tony Ponce, and Jonathan Holmes writing for them.

But they currently do not have anybody that actually worked for Nintendo Power.

Hmm you're right. I don't know why I thought some of the writers went there.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
OXM was the only game magazine I ever had a subscription to. I got rid of my stack of mags a while ago (I'm still not sure if I regret that), but I kept all my demo discs.

Good luck to the OXM US staff.

Nydius

Sorry, couldn't help myself. As someone who loved combing through these I'm sad to see them go, but the writing's been on the wall for print media for a while. Good luck to the staff and hope they land on their feet soon.

Yep. I'm surprised OXM lasted this long. GameInformer is probably next to die, but they'll simply transition from print to premium web subscription. Print periodicals are a relic of a pre-internet age. Newspapers are next on the chopping block as the older generation dies off and tablets become more ubiquitous.

If you think NeoGAF has the same level of quality content that an editorialized magazine has you're gona have a bad tiiiime. lol

I disagree, actually. In general, I get far more quality entertainment from GAF than I ever did from monthly mags. (Ever stop by OT? Never fails to deliver.)

That being said, I'm still sad to see them go....I've fond memories of excitedly tearing through new issues every month.

Pouring one out for the fallen.

Tripon

Yep. I'm surprised OXM lasted this long. GameInformer is probably next to die, but they'll simply transition from print to premium web subscription. Print periodicals are a relic of a pre-internet age. Newspapers are next on the chopping block as the older generation dies off and tablets become more ubiquitous.

Game Informer is the 3rd largest paid print mag. With a print sub base of 7,629,995. As long as Gamestop is in business, Game Informer will still be in business.

I disagree, actually. In general, I get far more quality entertainment from GAF than I ever did from monthly mags. (Ever stop by OT? Never fails to deliver.)

That being said, I'm still sad to see them go....I've fond memories of excitedly tearing through new issues every month.

Neogaf only works because of places like OXM are around to give us news to disseminate. Gaf's an aggregator.

adj_noun

I remember that...weird ass spaceship game they had on the discs for a while. You played demos and watched ads to unlock points or parts or whatever so you could launch into space.

Then they gave up on it for a few months, then they gave it a quick mercy kill.

Game Informer is the 3rd largest paid print mag. With a print sub base of 7,629,995. As long as Gamestop is in business, Game Informer will still be in business.

Neogaf only works because of places like OXM are around to give us news to disseminate. Gaf's an aggregator.

An aggregator, sure...but it's not like news will stop happening or GAF suddenly forgets the many many online sources for news. OXM isn't critical to that, clearly. In fact, not only is it not critical, it's not needed at all, which is why this is happening.

Nostalgia makes this sad news, but times change.

Marcel

Another day, another magazine goes bust. It's an outdated model when you consider that people on GAF do journalist type shit for free and places like Kotaku get the ad dolla to regurgitate the information.

No place in that model for the dinosaur magazines.

Tripon

An aggregator, sure...but it's not like news will stop happening or GAF suddenly forgets the many many online sources for news. OXM isn't critical to that, clearly. In fact, not only is it not critical, it's not needed at all, which is why this is happening.

Nostalgia makes this sad news, but times change.

Sure, if one site/mag like OXM goes away, its unfortunate, but GAF will survive. But if all mags/sites go away, Gaf's in trouble. We're talking about an issue where companies have a problem convincing enough people that writing about games is important enough to pay a sub for, and more importantly, convincing Ad companies that people care enough.

Future Publishing basically throwing up their hands and closing down shop should worry people. It should worry them a whole lot.

My wife worked at future for over 6 years. Last Friday was her final day. OXM was one of her magazines. She loved her job and her co-workers. This first week of unemployment has been a bummer for both of us but we have known that the writing has been on the wall for magazines for a while now. Oh well. On to new opportunities.

graboids

I subscribed for years, but havent the past couple... less need for Magazines in my life I guess.. I will miss the podcast, KOXM too...

Hopefully Rudden and Reparaz will keep their Lasertime Network podcasts going...

Good Luck to all that lost their job today.

I still remember buying the first month of Incite Gaming.

But the demos in this mag were great.

Everything will eventually be on Twitch tho. Times are changing.

I'm not sure ad hominems left and right would qualify as entertaining lol...what ever floats yer boat man.

Ryan_IGN

Thread title is misleading. Actually, it's just plain wrong. Guess the OP didn't read the whole blog post.

The OXM US staff is laid off, but the magazine will continue to be published in the US. However, the editorial will be generated by the OXM UK team.

fvng

I really miss gaming magazines, I'm bummed that the official Playstation magazine was never included in the Plus subscription package. That would have been kept the magazine afloat for some time, and a nice way to keep its subscribers informed on upcoming products. Seems like a missed opportunity

Game Guru

Game Informer is far from being dead. It's the third best selling magazine in the U.S. Only the AARP magazines sell more. Only actual senior citizens buy more magazines.

fvng

Game Informer is far from being dead. It's the third best selling magazine in the U.S. Only the AARP magazines sell more. Only actual senior citizens buy more magazines.

It helps that Game Informer is actually a pretty solid publication, which is surprising since Gamestop is always pushing it. who'da thunk it

abadguy

Banned
I still have the demo disks with Metal Wolf Chaos and Capcom vs SNK 2. ( which had the whole friggin game on the disk so i never actually bought the retail version) Gaming mags are a dying breed and i will miss them when they are completely gone. I actually prefer them to internet gaming news sites , with "journalists" who will basically type any dumb shit for hits.

Thread title is misleading. Actually, it's just plain wrong. Guess the OP didn't read the whole blog post.

The OXM US staff is laid off, but the magazine will continue to be published in the US. However, the editorial will be generated by the OXM UK team.
Thanks for clearing it up.

Keep taking those Ls #Xboneset
3HYpp.png

More like take those Ls, printed media.
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but can someone please explain this "Ls" thing to me? I've seen it referenced a few times but I just don't get it.

On topic: I loved console specific magazines. I used to get OPM back in the day. It never dawned on me that there would be one for other consoles (was a dumb kid) but I'm glad others got to enjoy the awesomeness of disc based demos.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but can someone please explain this "Ls" thing to me? I've seen it referenced a few times but I just don't get it.

On topic: I loved console specific magazines. I used to get OPM back in the day. It never dawned on me that there would be one for other consoles (was a dumb kid) but I'm glad others got to enjoy the awesomeness of disc based demos.

L = loss

More or less, so when you're saying that "X is taking those Ls", then you're talking about how they're failing/losing.

styl3s

I honestly thought they stopped publishing it years ago. I remember having to cancel my subscription and having to drive to walgreens to get my monthly issues when they came with demo discs that sometimes had XBL avatars and stuff because my issues that would come in the mail would never have the discs.

It's sad to see any magazine go, i grew up when the internet wasn't a thing and magazines are how i got news, previews and reviews for games so they will always hold a spot in my heart, even if i don't buy them (physical copies) anymore. Still subbed to a few magazines on my ipad.

jholmes

It's a shame games magazines are all but dead, and news websites are hardly picking up the slack. But times are tight in the industry, and ad dollars are still shrinking across the board. Meanwhile we're all worse off for it.

I hope the OXM guys land on their feet. It's hard to see it at first, but people who lose their jobs often find themselves in better positions once the dust settles. Best of luck to the lot of 'em.

DEADEVIL

Damn this sucks. I was always a huge fan of OXM. It's crazy I just bought the May issue with the Dragon's Age Inquisition cover not too long ago and I never would have fathomed in a zillion years that this would be one their last.

I'm old school and other than my GI subscription I always loved buying a shiny new OXM on the stands every month. OXM UK in my opinion had the bigger presence online though.

Sad day in my opinion. Not only one of my fave mags of all-time but the Xbox brand won't have a better representation of the games coming to the consoles anymore. Guess they hung on as long as they could post-OPM.

Has anymone heard where some of the talent might be going like Fransesca Reyes etc.?

Ever since Nintendo Power was discontinued, I've just been numb. Hate to see all this nostalgia and enthusiast stuff going the way of the dinosaurs. I always loved getting my subscriptions in the mail when I was little, and feeling like I was on the cutting edge of all my favorite games.

Thanks for all the memories, guys. I really hope you all find even better opportunities now that this has passed.

Top Bottom