• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Magazine will no longer be published

On one hand, and as someone who used to drop $70 on magazines from newsstands in his youth, it is saddening to see yet another long-running publication dry up and blow away in the wind. On the other hand, print is dead and given how easy it is to get information off the internet, I'm not going to miss the relative slow crawl of news from print sources

If you think NeoGAF has the same level of quality content that an editorialized magazine has you're gona have a bad tiiiime. lol.

Some posts and topics offer a lot more quality than you can find in any magazine. Some posts really feel like features and collumns.

A lot of content in magazines feels dated and unbalanced. If you would only read one magazine and trust them completely instead of using gamerankings or metacritic, you will also miss a lot of gems.

Elija2

So OXM is shutting down but OXM UK lives on? That's weird, isn't Xbox much less popular in the UK than it is in North America? Or is print media just more popular there so they can still sustain themselves?

beercr8te

Banned
Back when the first Xbox came out and I was super excited I loved that magazine but eventually realized that all these "Official" magazines are just corporate mouthpieces and then the internet got big and you don't need magazines anymore.

That pretty much sums up my thinking too.

Well it was only a matter of time before this was going to happen, with gaming sites, youtube channels, blogs, social media sites all giving you all types of info instantly.

The only thing I see keeping some of them in business is the exclusive stuff not seen on any site.

Havoc2049

I still have the first full year of OXM with all the discs, along with the E3 preview issue. I've been reading Francesca Reyes' work since she wrote for Official Dreamcast Magazine. Hopefully she will end up somewhere on the net writing about video games.

Much enjoyment from reading these issues...an exciting time to be a gamer.
DSCN0391.jpg

Not a great time to be a magazine dedicated to Xbox, the future prospects are particularly not encouraging.

Was this comment really necessary?...

On topic, OXM was one of my favorite magazines when I was younger (especially after the official Dreamcast mag ceased to exist). Really liked the demos on disc. And they seemed to always have great content and exclusive previews. Sad to see them go, hope all land on their feet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
2AwtF.jpg

So I guess this is the last issue? Maybe they'll be able to say their farewells in the first UK issue that takes over here.

pelican

Apart from EDGE, and Games TM there are no magazines worth buying here in the UK.

I guess the only really viable magazine in the US is Game Informer due to being owned and financed by Game Stop.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm not surprised. I used to spend £50 a month on magazines. Now I don't spend a penny. GAF get's all the news I need.

onken

Well that sucks.

Think a neutral gaming website would be skeptical of hiring anyone that wrote for Official Xbox Magazine.

I think Rich Leadbetter used to work for one of the official Sega magazines before they got killed off. Needless to say, the quality of his Sony reporting wasn't affected in any way.

QFT.

I stopped even reading gaming sites after joining GAF.

Used to love PC Gamer UK back in the day.

Me too. Gaming websites make magazines unnecessary (at least for news and reviews), but GAF similarly makes the existence of other gaming websites a moot point. That said, I never miss a Bombcast!

Top Bottom