• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Yes, you can put up to 2 TB in a modded Xbox. If you do a HDD upgrade, go ahead and swap the 40 wire ribbon cable for an 80 wire. You'll see a significant decrease in load times.

Also, couldn't find much info on it previously, so I just went for it: 1TB SSD confirmed working.
20170715_135054_zpstnntchw2.jpg

20170627_012933_zps0k4eolbd.jpg

Had it in for over a month now. Works great, and surprisingly further decreases load times (would have thought the PATA cable would bottleneck any speed gain by SSD).

Sure man; sky's the limit. Good thermal paste is way better than the stock crap they put in there by default. Should see it run a few degrees cooler. I've swapped out the fan for a smaller one, but if your goal is temperature, you probably want to go bigger (more airflow).
Do you have to do any weird partition stuff or does it partition correctly?

FyreWulff

Yes, you can put up to 2 TB in a modded Xbox. If you do a HDD upgrade, go ahead and swap the 40 wire ribbon cable for an 80 wire. You'll see a significant decrease in load times.

Also, couldn't find much info on it previously, so I just went for it: 1TB SSD confirmed working.
20170715_135054_zpstnntchw2.jpg

20170627_012933_zps0k4eolbd.jpg

Had it in for over a month now. Works great, and surprisingly further decreases load times (would have thought the PATA cable would bottleneck any speed gain by SSD).

Sure man; sky's the limit. Good thermal paste is way better than the stock crap they put in there by default. Should see it run a few degrees cooler. I've swapped out the fan for a smaller one, but if your goal is temperature, you probably want to go bigger (more airflow).

technically you're still massively bottlenecked (i believe your top speed will be about 100MB/sec), but your random read latency is really good now which means the console can find the chunks of data it's looking for faster overall.

REDSLATE

Do you have to do any weird partition stuff or does it partition correctly?

I'd recommend following up with xbpartitioner v1.3. Much better than the built-in partitioning software included with chimp. I do this with all my Xboxes.

technically you're still massively bottlenecked (i believe your top speed will be about 100MB/sec), but your random read latency is really good now which means the console can find the chunks of data it's looking for faster overall.

Right, that was my thinking as well. Still didn't expect it to be so prevalent.

Shaneus

Hm, so I wonder if that means you could get something cheaper/slower (like an SSHD) and see similar performance.

Hell, I'd be prepared to do that to remove some of the weight from the thing, a good portion of it's mass has to be the HDD.

REDSLATE

Hm, so I wonder if that means you could get something cheaper/slower (like an SSHD) and see similar performance.

Hell, I'd be prepared to do that to remove some of the weight from the thing, a good portion of it's mass has to be the HDD.

I'm not a fan of SSHDs. They only see marginal gains over HDDs, and they appear to have a much higher failure rate. Not worth it in my opinion. A standard 2.5" HDD would be affordable and a significant reduction in mass. I have one in one of my boxes.

dubc35

I never played Outrun games back in the day. I bought Outrun2 last week and had 30 min or so to play it this weekend. It's a good time. It's refreshing to have a fun racing game that doesn't require complete mental attention like simulators. I like the challenges and so far the arcade game part is fun. I have yet to finish the easiest route lol.

I never played Outrun games back in the day. I bought Outrun2 last week and had 30 min or so to play it this weekend. It's a good time. It's refreshing to have a fun racing game that doesn't require complete mental attention like simulators. I like the challenges and so far the arcade game part is fun. I have yet to finish the easiest route lol.

Awesome game. I hope we get Outrun 3 some day.

And assuming it has the Ferrari license for Sega to put Outrun 2 back up on all online stores, unlike useless Capcom who didn't (couldn't?) put the Marvel stuff back up.

Worse case scenario they use a generic car like the sprite swap on the Yu Suzuki Game Works (Dreamcast) and 3DS versions of Outrun.

EmiPrime

Worse case scenario they use a generic car like the sprite swap on the Yu Suzuki Game Works (Dreamcast) and 3DS versions of Outrun.

Given the licensing woes with Outrun 2/C2C and Afterburner Climax, I wish they had gone that route from the start. I really don't care much for authentic real life cars, guns, jets etc in games at the best of times and I care even less for them when they have time limited licenses.

Granted these games were made before digital stores and for the arcade first, benefit of hindsight and all that.

I have an old softmod on my XBOX and was wondering if I would be able to just install the newer one overtop or do I have to uninstall the old one and then re-softmod it?

horkrux

¡HarlequinPanic!;244764741 said:
Alright, I got an og xbox, it can be a blurry mess (sega gt 2002). Do I have to buy the HD Pack for 60 bucks on ebay or can I use a chinese component cable?

I think I'm gonna make one myself. I've used one of these cheap knock-off cables until now and there is some mad interference. OG cables are just too expensive.

televator

How do the Destroy All Humans games run on the emulator? It would be interesting to see if the Xbox version is superior to the PS2 on PS4 one.

Coda

Wow, that's exciting. I'm sure it would look amazing in 4K.

Xbox in 4K would blow my mind! Even just games up-resed to 1080p would be nice.

These two games are still some of my most favorite games in my OG Xbox collection. Some of the best unknown games on the system IMO. Double Steal: The Second Clash runs in 720p and is quite impressive graphically and for the amount of chaos that can ensue. I urge others looking for something new on the system to check both games out. Some of the most fun I've had gaming in quite some time.

riZzrGp.jpg

Cday

Banned
Ok, I either die to the first wave or the fifth wave. No in-between.

If I make it to the fifth wave, I can't shoot the anti-T'lan laser at them to clear them out. The stealth is hard to see in all the white (with my old TV contrast as well) and basically gets a free kill on me.

If I boost, I eat attacks, thereby eating up boosts' time by slowly getting up.

Fuck this game. It may have been "ahead of it's time" in regards to doing a first-person movie gimmick thing, but the combat is terrible. The lock-on screws you over when you're trying to melee smack enemies and/or get away and blocking does absolutely nothing since it'll eat into your energy AND HP in small quantities when you're facing more than 2 enemies.

If you're facing 1-2 enemies, the game is fine. But 3+ it starts to show how awful the combat is. It doesn't help that now and then I'll try to "Slider-Uppercut" and have the game recognize me wanting to launch a projectile because somehow the game won't recognize my Left Trigger and/or assumes me holding forward to get into position a second before counts as wanting to slide. Ugh.

I know your pain. I quit there too after so many bullshit parts in that game that you can fudge your way through it hits you with that room. I even looked up some walkthrough maybe even the one you posted and something about it wasn't accurate to what I was getting. I think it's because the walkthrough is playing on easy.

REDSLATE

Breakdown is coming to Xbox One X. If it has a solid enhancement, I'm going to pick up a console. It's that kind of game.

Mercs is a good one too; the 360 emulator was shit. Bioware, Blinx, Conker, and Star Wars... pretty solid initial selection of OG Xbox games.

Artistic

How does the first Mercenaires compare to the sequel? Bought it when it first released on PS3, but seemed like it was a flop compared to the original.

Then again, I didn't put much time into it.

REDSLATE

How does the first Mercenaires compare to the sequel? Bought it when it first released on PS3, but seemed like it was a flop compared to the original.

Then again, I didn't put much time into it.
I first one was miles better than the second, and the setting/plot is just as relevant as ever (Korea). One of the best sandbox games ever made.

Top Bottom