• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh Deep Silver: Dead Island 2 culled from Steam. Cancelled? [Still Alive]

About an hour ago the Dead Island 2 steam page was seemingly removed from steam, It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out the game is being cancelled. Between Yager dropping out and handing the development Sumo Digital it seems like Deep Silver is most likely abandoning the project.

EDIT: Deep Silver has confirmed it is still in development.

4d26c867e854aeda5dafe50a1ad92e95.png

Corpekata

Banned
Might just be that they are amping up for a re-reveal given that it's clearly gone under a facelift or two by now. E3 is just a couple days away.

Especially with the Definitive Edition releasing tomorrow they might want to be avoiding misclicks or people thinking "Well, why bother, I'll wait for 2."

LewieP

You might be jumping to conclusions here. Could just be part of Sumo Digital taking the reigns.

As much as I don't care about this game in the slightest, Sumo are a good studio, so I hope they do OK out of whatever their deal with Deep Silver is.

I don't think Deep Silver are a very good publisher, and their future prospects don't seem very strong.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not surprised. As I said in the Dead Island DE thread, DI2's Steam app hadn't been touched by a non-Valve hand since last November, which is an abnormally long time for a Steamworks game and suggests either cancellation or a project reboot.

Might just be that they are amping up for a re-reveal given that it's clearly gone under a facelift or two by now. E3 is just a couple days away.

Especially with the Definitive Edition releasing tomorrow they might want to be avoiding misclicks or people thinking "Well, why bother, I'll wait for 2."

I doubt it, we haven't heard anything about the game since Yager dropped out and handled development over to Sumo Digital.

There's a lot of problems going on at Deep Silver right now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I doubt it, we haven't heard anything about the game since Yager dropped out and handled development over to Sumo Digital.

There's a lot of problems going on at Deep Silver right now.

Sumo Digital's involvement was confirmed by Koch just two months ago, though. It'd be a bit odd for the game to be cancelled so soon after confirming that development was being course-corrected.

salromano

Sumo Digital's involvement was confirmed by Koch just two months ago, though. It'd be a bit odd for the game to be cancelled so soon after confirming that development is being course-corrected.

Had the same thought. Gonna go with the project reboot.

Damn. I hope it's not cancelled.

I hope it is, or at least basically being remade.

The game looked like absolute trash last time we saw it.

They need to trash the goofy shit and make it more focused on survival aspects with a far more serious tone. You know, like what everyone wanted the original Dead Island to be.

gossi

It wouldn't be terribly surprising if Homefront reboot caused a huge financial loss. Oh boy. (Koch backed Homefront).

Shihon

Just my opinion but the game trailer and premise looked like it would of been shit anyway. I mean come on, a Dead Island set in California? Keyword being island,also don't forget Dying Light pretty much ended any hype the game would of garnered.

Deep Silver messed up letting Techland go,with that being said I cant wait for Dying Light 2.

Just my opinion but the game trailer and premise looked like it would of been shit anyway. I mean come on, a Dead Island set in California? Keyword being island,also don't forget Dying Light pretty much ended any hype the game would of garnered.

Deep Silver messed up letting Techland go,with that being said I cant wait for Dying Light 2.

Can't agree more, Dying Light was surprisingly good and was much better than Dead Island and Riptide.

Corpekata

Banned

Yes, the chief reason to play was the grammatical accuracy of the title.

Zukkoyaki

Game had some promise, what a shame.

Hopefully Deep Silver can get back on track after a streak of odd decisions and bad luck. Things were looking very bright for them just a couple of years ago.

jond76

Banned
Last week I saw some old pre-order cards for this at Target. Should took one for collector purposes!

Hoping for a re-reveal.

Hope it isnt completely cancelled. While I didnt like what Yager was doing with it, i did like the settings they chose. I was hoping that at least that would stay the same.

Shredderi

Dying Light happening must have been devastating for this. The way I've understood it is that Techland went to Deep Silver with Dying Light but they thought that it would be a bad idea. Whoever made that call must feel so stupid now. Of course you acknowledge that this happens sometimes and you don't always make the best calls but that was one bad call from them.

This game has gone on such an odd path. They did that initial CG reveal at E3, basically no info since then, and then they plastered that trailer over the last season of The Walking Dead as if it was coming out next week. Very confusing.

ViciousDS

Banned
Hope it isnt completely cancelled. While I didnt like what Yager was doing with it, i did like the settings they chose. I was hoping that at least that would stay the same.

I thought techland developed dead island? Unless it's basically the same company. Then they said fuck it and made dying light without deep silver telling the what to do

I thought techland developed dead island? Unless it's basically the same company. Then they said fuck it and made dying light without deep silver telling the what to do

They did, but then Deep Silver got the bright idea to kick them off it. Since then Techland went and developed another very popular open world zombie IP while the only new Dead Island that DS has been able to release is this

deadislandchyut.png

They did, but then Deep Silver got the bright idea to kick them off it. Since then Techland went and developed another very popular open world zombie IP while the only new Dead Island that DS has been able to release is this

deadislandchyut.png

Oh god I remember that game, wasn't it developed by Fatshark which were the same people behind Warhammer Vermintide?

wrowa

I wouldn't read much into it. Whatever the store page showed and said likely doesn't accurately describe the current Dead Island 2 anyway, so why keep the site? Keeping it isn't really doing them any favors.

I hope it is, or at least basically being remade.

The game looked like absolute trash last time we saw it.

They need to trash the goofy shit and make it more focused on survival aspects with a far more serious tone. You know, like what everyone wanted the original Dead Island to be.

A reboot would be fine. A new subtitle would be, too. A new direction, okay, sure. Just not all out cancellation.

Top Bottom