• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh man, the Punisher game looks awesome!

----

Banned
This could be one of the most brutally violent games I've ever seen. I love how you can choose to kill or interogate the guys you grab and all the imaginatively brutal options you have to kill people. And I love the way it uses the analog stick to control your interogation, if you squeeze too hard it kills them. The way the bodies come apart as you blast them with your guns or as you knife them is sick. The legs, torsos, and arms get ripped off, heads get blown to pieces. This game is going to rule.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'll be surprised if the interrogation mode doesn't raise a few eyebrows, Frank Castle is nailed to the comic description.

I have it marked on my possible sleeper hits list.

919349_20040401_screen001.jpg

100% unadultered pure badass.

Funky Papa said:
I'll be surprised if the interrogation mode doesn't raise a few eyebrows, Frank Castle is nailed to the comic description.

I have it marked on my possible sleeper hits list.

919349_20040401_screen001.jpg

100% unadultered pure badass.

HOLY SHIT.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wait until you see the pirahna interrogation - I accidentally pushed too hard while playing the E3 demo and got the poor guy's face torn to shreds.

Meier

I didnt get a chance to play it but heard very, very positive stuff about it at E3 from the guys I was there with.

hobbitx

Yeah this game totally blew me away when I first saw it on G4, "OMFG! A license that actually looks......INTERESTING!" That one scene that showed Frank dumping the guys face in that tank and pulling up a clean skull was so damn cool. You can tell the dudes making this game really are into the subject material, I wish more license games could be developed with this level of enthusiasm, but oh well. Even if this game gets bad reviews I'll still probably love this.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
There are times at which I get worried about the other gamers in the world.

This is one of those times.

bishoptl said:
Wait until you see the pirahna interrogation - I accidentally pushed too hard while playing the E3 demo and got the poor guy's face torn to shreds.
That's nothing compared to shoving a screaming and kicking guy into a wood chipper ;)

----

Banned
Invader Zim said:
Is there a GameCube version in the works?
I don't think so. They've only announced it for Xbox and PS2.

DavidDayton said:
There are times at which I get worried about the other gamers in the world.

This is one of those times.
Why???

This looks like it's going to be a great innovative game with tons of action and great graphics. It also seems like they're staying very true to the essence of the comic book character.

DDayton

---- said:
Why???

This looks like it's going to be a great innovative game with tons of action and great graphics. It also seems like they're staying very true to the essence of the comic book character.

Well, it's when most of the posts seem excited because of the amount of detailed, specific, individual acts of carnage in the game. When folks get excited because you can feed someone into a woodchipper, torture them in an interrogation minigame, or drown them in acid... it just seems like the game is being based around acts of torture... and the presence of such games has always unnerved me a bit.

Mike Works said:
David Dayton is a pussy, he'd only play a violent game if it involved rolling dice.

That can be violent. Imagine if someone threw dice at you and you were yawning. You could choke on them.

DDayton

Must be nice to be an admin, when you can cheerfully insult folks without retaliation.

Hey, Mike!

----

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Well, it's when most of the posts seem excited because of the amount of detailed, specific, individual acts of carnage in the game. When folks get excited because you can feed someone into a woodchipper, torture them in an interrogation minigame, or drown them in acid... it just seems like the game is being based around acts of torture... and the presence of such games has always unnerved me a bit.
Do you even know what the Punisher is about? Why even bother checking out impressions of the Punisher video game if you're so sensitive to violence?

If violence upsets you then you're seriously into the wrong hobby. You can't expect us to shield you from discussion of all violent or mature video games can you? And you do realize that it's all makebelieve don't you? I think we should be well past this debate/concern after GTA3 proved that the best video games of our times could be built upon the most violent premises.

It's obviously not just about being violent. Nor is it just about having great graphics. Manhunt never interested me for a second because the premise was too dark, methodical, and grotesque. In the Punisher the action looks satisfying, the gameplay is inventive, and the violence is more impressive than stomach churning. When you're blasting someone away with your shotgun at close range in a video game you want to see realistic or satisfying results. The game looks fun and should be a nice stress reliever. It's also nice to still see a game that can shock you. I was watching hundreds of video games one after another with no reaction and this game was getting vocal responses of disbelief out of me. That's a good thing. In contrast I sat there and watched Dead to Rights 2 gameplay and was practically yawning.

DDayton

---- said:
Do you even know what the Punisher is about? Why even bother checking out impressions of the Punisher video game if you're so sensitive to violence?

Yep. Punisher. Know the premise. I still find the reenactment of some of those scenes a bit disturbing for a game, but I'll bow out of this topic and reserve the violence discussions for
another thread. Feel free to chime in!

bjork

Punisher's been a favorite of mine for about fifteen years or so... once I read that War Journal crossover with Wolverine, I became a fan of his character. Didn't see the movie and haven't followed the comics for many years, but I've always liked the character, so it's good to see him get a game that's looking to be solid. :)

EekTheKat

The IGN preview makes this game sound very promising :

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/511/511424p1.html

Apparently you can grab (any) enemies as human shields, drag them around the room and utilize various implementations of persuasion on them.

The interrogation sequences seems to be very interactive as well from the way it's described (being able to feign punches to the face, etc..etc).

I think people who are into the Punisher comics would've been seriously disappointed in a "oh no, another Batman game" sort of way if they just slapped a Punisher skin in Max Payne clone pure shooter.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about this though, but so far it sounds like all the pieces are coming together nicely.

DavidDayton said:
Must be nice to be an admin, when you can cheerfully insult folks without retaliation.

Hey, Mike!
Pfft, if I call you a pussy, you're allowed to do so back without retaliation.

Get your head in the game, Dayton!

Top Bottom