• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh... My... God! Netflix pays 100 Million to keep Friends.

giphy.gif

Damn that’s expensive. How much did Daredevil cost to make, per season?

bitbydeath

Just never remove The Office. The meltdowns from that would make the Friends reaction look extremely tame in comparison.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I've only ever caught moments of it in passing.
I dont get the love for it. Maybe I'm just not white enough?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Last edited:
Just never remove The Office. The meltdowns from that would make the Friends reaction look extremely tame in comparison.

Every year I do a series binge watch of The Office and then Parks and Rec. I love those shows to death. Seasons 2, 3, and 4 of The Office is truly an amazing streak.

Nelsin

Banned
Ewwwww noo should've paid 100m to get BBT or season 7 & 8 of suits.

Bad netflix Bad.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Yes. They all had back end deals im pretty sure

I think the office will be worth more when Netflix tries to remove it.
I cant imagine what its like to be syndicated, then when that's about to dry up along comes digital media!

They must be schwimming in the money.

Last edited:

Batjag

This is a pretty smart move on Warner's part. They get this huge payout now, and then in 2020 they get a ton of publicly when they switch Friends over to their new streaming service.

I was looking the thread list on my phone, and all I saw was:

Oh... My... God! Netflix pays 100 Million to keep...

I thought, "Marvel!? Do we get to keep Daredevil, and Punisher and...." *click*

Oh. Friends.

Kagey K

Banned
Is this show even worth keeping? I mean obviously it must do outstanding numbers for them to pay that. I’m surprised they don’t have a “random episode of friends” line in my Netflix.

But I just never found it funny or engaging. Not sure why people like this more then some other funnier sitcoms.

God Enel

For 100mil they could ehem.. produce a Hollywood blockbuster more or less. But I guess if that’s what the fans want. Good guy Netflix

Z3K

Friends is the cash cow that keeps on giving, I'm surprised WB hasn't made plans to bring the series back.

Why isn't there a streaming service that says "you give us your show, we can cancel your contract at anytime after a year, we don't have exclusive streaming rights after a year, at that point you can still make money selling the rights elsewhere, but we can stream your show for as long as we want to, and you get paid only as people watch it."

Netflix movie selection is a joke compared to when I first got it, and there's no good reason to keep losing and regaining TV shows and movies. There has to be a better way to pay content holders and not have timed contracts to show their content.

Friends theme song band? Could you tell me why Netflix constantly pulls content you want to keep watching?

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
Aint going to lie, it was enjoyable when it was on. Watching reruns of it now makes me question my tastes as a teen, though. It is so corny.

Akuza89

It's a great show watched all of it over a few weeks a few months back coincidentally on Netflix.

I can see why they'd want to keep friends, apart from comedy central showing like 5 random episodes here and there, there's nowhere else to watch the entire series!

Klondyke

Banned
Not surpised one bit. Friends is one of those evergreen shows that People keep watching like for ever.

And lol P people sad about Daredevil. It was a mediocre superhero show, and it propably was a 100% Disney decision, because you know Disney+ is a thing.

Who watches that shit?
Very literally millions and millions of people

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I've only ever caught moments of it in passing.
I dont get the love for it. Maybe I'm just not white enough?

I'm Latino as fuck and I love the show. Even more, it was HUGE in Mexico. You don't need to be white to enjoy a good show. ;)

Last edited:
Aint going to lie, it was enjoyable when it was on. Watching reruns of it now makes me question my tastes as a teen, though. It is so corny.

They should get Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza place. Still corny, but a better show overall, AND you get both Ryan Reynolds and Nathan Fillion. Also a complete ripoff of Blister in the Sun for a theme song. What's not to like?

Kenpachii

They will have to renew as much as they can with disney leaving.

Also 100m for a old show rerun for a year lamo. The greed is real.

Last edited:

black_13

Banned
I did rewatch most of it a while back but damn 100 mill is crazy for an old show.

Isn't Netflix running a huge debt too and hoping long term they will make money?

I wish they would get Park's and rec for canada

Last edited:

greyshark

Either they think Friends alone is worth 10 million subscribers, or the cost for deals like these will be passed on to the consumers. for this service. My money is on the latter.

NickFire

The only explanation that makes sense to me is they got too emotionally invested in making a deal to keep it. I just cannot believe that Netflix customers, but and large, want this historic content that much to justify this cost. Great show, but come on that is a ridiculous amount if the goal is to keep the price in the 10-15 a month range.

Susurrus

There's people in that article that say they only keep Netflix for Friends. They're dumb, just buy it digitally, would be cheaper than a Netflix subscription over time and you can rewatch it as much as you want.

More likely they're full of crap.

But whatever, as long as it doesn't impact my subscription price, doesn't bother me any.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't realize the $100M was for only one more year. That's fucking crazy. Though, Netflix spends like $8B per year on programming and recently gave Jerry Seinfeld $100M for his little coffee show and some standup. I guess maybe the entirety of Friends doesn't seem that crazy in comparison.

Z..

I've probably seen a handful of episodes in my life. Is it that good?
Not at all. It's barely average, let alone good. It's lowest common denominator by the numbers drivel like Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half Men.

G-Bus

Banned
Should have saved the money and went for Seinfeld. Isn't that one even more expensive? Remember seeing something about that a year or two ago and was the driving factor for no streaming sites having it.

Crazy but understandable. Show is insanely popular. Wife and I rewatched all that last year I think.

Curious what the cast gets for royalties. I know it's probably more than you truly need in a lifetime.

HoodWinked

i figured it was $30 million for a period of time, only to find out it was $30 million per year, now its $80-$100 million per year that's nuts.
then in 2020 it won't even be exclusive to netflix.

Last edited:

Mahadev

The show isn't that good but it's one of the best time wasting shows with high replayability in existence hence its popularity. You don't watch Friends to focus on it, you watch it when you want something in the backround or when you're tired and want to watch something simple and familiar to shuit your brain down. I understand why Netflix thought it's a good decision to spend all that money, shows like that might not have the best quality but they're kind of unique in a way.

Top Bottom