• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh Oh, Living On A Prey-er!

Who here is a Prey 2006 fan?

I remember first playing the demo at fellow GAFFER and irl friend MetalAlien MetalAlien house.

This was around 2006 or 2007 and I remember how impressed I was when you shrunk down after entering a portal and finding yourself on a miniature planet held inside a viewing case.

People were getting ground up into meat to feed The Sphere.

The whole demo itself was a literal roller coaster ride except you're walking.

Then you hear the legend himself Art Bell taking calls about people seeing UFOs and their kids becoming possessed.

If that weren't enough, you're going into the Spirit Realm and you have a freaking spirit guide!

Wtf is going on? Wtf drugs did everyone take? You're a Cherokee in space with shaman powers fighting aliens in a moon-sized gooey-organic-living Sphere while you go in and out different dimensions while the legend of late night paranormal talk radio plays in the background.

Dufuq?

You don't get too many games getting whacky like this without falling into parody but the game manages to keep gritty but with some tongue-in-cheek.

I loved almost everything about this game. The story is simple but has enough background for multiple titles.

No fucks were given, either. Damsel in distress, little kids dying horribly.... things most devs would be too scared to implement in the current year.

We were denied.... maybe some would say robbed.... out of a potentially awesome sequel that would have had a TSA agent surviving one of the abducted airline flights, bashing alien nutsack in a gritty Coruscant.

To sum my thoughts up, my dream would have been this game becoming a franchise. Milk that shit like a crazed hermit Luke Skywalker alone on an island.

Go get Prey 2006. Get it on 360 if you cannot find a PC version. Prey it's not too late.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I remember first playing the demo at fellow GAFFER and irl friend MetalAlien MetalAlien

This was around 2006 or 2007 and I remember how impressed I was when you shrunk down after entering a portal and finding yourself on a miniature planet held inside a viewing case.

Then you hear the legend himself Art Bell taking calls about people seeing UFOs and their kids becoming possessed.

If that weren't enough, you're going into the Spirit Realm and you have a freaking spirit guide!

Wtf is going on? Wtf drugs did everyone take? You're a Cherokee in space with shaman powers fighting aliens in a moon-sized gooey-organic-living Sphere while you go in and out different dimensions while the legend of late night paranormal talk radio plays in the background.

Dufuq?

You don't get too many games getting whacky like this without falling into parody but the game manages to keep gritty but with some tongue-in-cheek.

I loved almost everything about this game. The story is simple but has enough background for multiple titles.

No fucks were given, either. Damsel in distress, little kids dying horribly.... things most devs would be too scared to implement in the current year.

We were denied.... maybe some would say robbed.... out of a potentially awesome sequel that would have had a TSA agent surviving one of the abducted airline flights, bashing alien nutsack in a gritty Coruscant.

To sum my thoughts up, my dream would have been this game becoming a franchise. Milk that shit like a crazed hermit Luke Skywalker alone on an island.

Go get Prey 2006. Get it on 360 if you cannot find a PC version. Prey it's not too late.
One of my favorite games and among my first games on the 360. I don't know how many times I have beaten it. I have nothing but fond memories of it. Awesome game in every sense. I only had problems with the weapons mechanics and sounds, but besides that, I can only agree with everything you said. I wanted to continue that story with Tommy (after the cliffhangerish ending), so I didn't really like what Prey 2 was. If only we got a sequel from the same devs for nextgen...

Can only recommend this game, along with Prey 2017. Though they have no connection besides the name, both of them are some of the best games ever.

Last edited:

Bankai

Love the title of this topic! :lollipop_heart_with_arrow:

Also, I loved Prey on xbox360 back in the day. It felt different than other shooters, with the teleports and the weird setting; native-american in spaaaaaaaace!

The Prey reboot was great as well, although something didn't quite grab me. It had all the right ingredients (Bioshock gameplay vibes), but didn't get it hooks in me. Still finished the game though and enjoyed it.

It was an average FPS game at a time when the market was flooded with below-average FPS games.

If it wasn't for Prey 2 getting dramatically canceled and the new Prey game having nothing to do with the original, no one would even remember Prey 2006.
I was a fan long before Prey 2 was mentioned.

I dunno. 83 critic and 7.9 user score is still good. I would say still a little above average. It's sort of a cult hit.

I liked it at the time, prefer the newer Prey, though. I'll take System Shock type FPS over what 2006 Prey was any day of the week.
The new one seems good too. I mean I even bought it on GOG while the deluxe version was on sale for like 12 bucks.

System Shock is a classic but I'd still rather have the more insane, Portal-lite (and fwiw I'm not even that crazy about the original Portal) 2006 game.

I remember first playing the demo at fellow GAFFER and irl friend MetalAlien MetalAlien

Dufuq?

I was very impressed by its original 3D Realms trailer back around the same time that they teased Duke Nukem Forever.

I was a fan long before Prey 2 was mentioned.

I dunno. 83 critic and 7.9 user score is still good. I would say still a little above average. It's sort of a cult hit.

The new one seems good too. I mean I even bought it on GOG while the deluxe version was on sale for like 12 bucks.

System Shock is a classic but I'd still rather have the more insane, Portal-lite (and fwiw I'm not even that crazy about the original Portal) 2006 game.

Sure, Prey (2006) > Portal, now I feel more at home in the thread.

Bragr

Banned
the fact that you don't play as another bald space marine (which was prominent during this era) is also a nice breath of fresh air.
Throw+out+that+thumbnail+and+have+this+_84ca029726bf6a8718306656c19b0a24.jpg

Prey 2 never releasing was a real kick in the balls.
It's one of the few moments in gaming that still pisses me off.

I'd have no doubt this would have been an awesome game and if successful enough, probably would have spawned more sequels.

I still don't get the decision to "reboot" this game. In fact the new game has almost nothing in relation to the original. I would have been fine with all of it if they should have just gave it a different name, but my guess was this was to spite Human Head somewhat.

Last edited:
It was an average FPS game at a time when the market was flooded with below-average FPS games.

If it wasn't for Prey 2 getting dramatically canceled and the new Prey game having nothing to do with the original, no one would even remember Prey 2006.
It wasn't average. It came in the prime of single player 1st person shooter games. It was great and scored 83 on metacritics.
BTW, 2006-2007 are the years that made X360 great. Quake 4, Prey, Oblivion, Gears of War, lost planet, Bioshock, Halo3... After that and till this day xbox sucked big times. I am glad I witnessed the late 90s to mid 2000s. Best gaming era.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
What are you talking about?
That if you ask people for the best run-and-gun shooters, it's still Quake and Doom that springs to minds even after 2 decades. You have Halo that might fit into the picture, but Half Life transformed the shooter market and more realistic mechanics became the norm. There was no new run-and-gun shooter that mananged to bring back the enthusiam and get amazing reviews like Doom and Quake. We are in a sort of revival with the new Doom games now, but that genre of shooters staggered for a long time.

bender

What time is it?
I finished it and don't really remember much. Let's see: Saving your girlfriend? Portals?

JEeXmjL.png

I haven't played it in so long. Must have been drunk playing it on Christmas Eve at that. Not sure why that play time counter is wrong too. But it's an excellent game. That intro with "Fear the reaper" still works so well to this day. And Tommy was a great, asshole character. Bought it both on 360 and PC later. Such a classic, shame we never got to see it's sequel proper.

Last edited:

Ravix

I think it's one of the most underrated shooters out there. It's horrible what Bethesda did to Human Head studios and how we will never get Prey 2 despite it being almost completed.

It's a game I have fond memories of but I don't think it would hold up at all now. Best it stay just a fuzzy memory. It sucks that the new Prey shares the same name and got backlash for it. It's an amazing game but should have been called Psycho shock or something. Shame we never got a sequel.

Tranquil

I remember playing Prey in 2006, never thought about the game again until I started posting in this forum. It was pretty generic, but fun.

I really love how Prey, Quake 4, Doom 3, Riddick, and others all looked so similar in those years. Big fan of that. It really brings me back.

It's one of the few moments in gaming that still pisses me off.

I'd have no doubt this would have been an awesome game and if successful enough, probably would have spawned more sequels.

I still don't get the decision to "reboot" this game. In fact the new game has almost nothing in relation to the original. I would have been fine with all of it if they should have just gave it a different name, but my guess was this was to spite Human Head somewhat.

Meh, we got a far better game in the end with Prey 2017.

I remember playing Prey in 2006, never thought about the game again until I started posting in this forum. It was pretty generic, but fun.
It's use of portals and how they could change the gravity of the room or even the size your player character was pretty unique and we wouldn't see things like it for years until Portal came out.

GmanLives did an excellent 2020 rereview just over a month ago:

Last edited:
I liked the demo a lot but the full game less so, as the demo sorta showed you just about everything outside of flight and the full game was just more of it. Plus the lack of any real death penalty beyond playing that tedious minigame made the game something of a slog toward the end. Not a bad game though.

I remember reading about Prey back in the Duke 3D days(and the Duke3D cd had a bunch of Prey screenshots on it) and how it was to have innovative use of portal technology. The game disappeared for a long while but when it finally re-emerged in the mid-00s I thought it was cool they kept the portal concept and used it in some cool ways.

Prey 2 is still canon to me. The events still happened even though the game was canceled.

What even is the cannon? My memory is fuzzy, but doesn't he get kidnapped and discovers there's this whole universe of aliens and he get's indoctrinated/jumped/lured into a Bounty Hunter's club or something? And then there's parkour.

Tranquil

It's use of portals and how they could change the gravity of the room or even the size your player character was pretty unique and we wouldn't see things like it for years until Portal came out.

GmanLives did an excellent 2020 rereview just over a month ago:

I don't even remember doing that actually. Maybe it's better than I remember.

What even is the cannon? My memory is fuzzy, but doesn't he get kidnapped and discovers there's this whole universe of aliens and he get's indoctrinated/jumped/lured into a Bounty Hunter's club or something? And then there's parkour.
The devs revealed what was going to happen throughout the game and how it even ended.

Top Bottom