• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Clickbait Cringe 'OK boomer': Abigail Disney tells those offended to 'sit down'

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
The "ok boomer" is probably older than that, but I've spotted it for the first time, when the known types in the context of Obama's criticism of the widespread intolerant "activism" expressed their disagreement with him.
"Baby boomers" is the generation conceived after WWII, when, perhaps boosted by the war's end, birth rates went up (and infant mortality went down).
The way I understand it, it's an euphemism for "shut the fuck up, old man/woman".
This doesn't go that well even within social justice movement, as it is technically"ageism"

The granddaughter of Roy Disney went out to defend the term and its use.

And she does it in two, rather inconsistent ways:

1) "sit... down and let the kids drive", "the world is changing, but you are not" - Essentially "STFU oldie"
2) Don't be "so easily triggered".- welp, don't be a snowflake, valid, but quite different from the other message.
3) Mixes in climate change, oldies should feel guilt for it (another reason to STFU)

If you feel like jumping into the twitter exchange, it's here.

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

-Arcadia-

Aug 20, 2019
It’s really not that serious.

Everyone is trying to politicize it, but it’s just a way of hilariously ignoring Boomer stupidity, that also turned into a fun insult.

We don’t need this to be super-serious generation warz, or another retarded political meme.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
How much time before this becomes like the hipster label. Hipsters accussing other hipsters of being too hipster. Now you have boomer telling "Ok boomer" to slightly older people lol. Fuck internet meme culture is so funny how seriously they take themselves.

Reactions: Dinner Rolls

Nymphae

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
The way I understand it, it's an euphemism for "shut the fuck up, old man/woman"
This is pretty much how I see it used 100% of the time. Rather than being a critique aimed at actual cringeworthy baby boomer behaviours, it's an ignorant and arrogant meme phrase used to belittle people older than the person using it.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I'm old at 37, and I think the boomer memes are funny, tho I am irritated that it has been turned into some sort of age thing by the media. Everyone knows Boomers are the real chads anyways.

Petrae

Nov 19, 2006
West Springfield, MA
www.youtube.com
Abigail Disney is an unhinged individual who thinks she can throw her name around to great effect... but it doesn’t mean shit, other than in her own mind or thanks to unnecessary media coverage.

Her family hasn’t had anything really to do with the company in decades. She can prattle on about how she thinks the company should be run or how her grandfather or great uncle would’ve wanted it or whatever other weird leftist nonsense she’s spouted as part of her “rich guilt”... but it’s all for show.

She’s a fucking “boomer” herself (born in 1960). Spouting millennial memes is desperately trying to avoid/reject her age.

This whole “OK Boomer” nonsense is fucking dumb. It’s a tool for the weak-minded and lazy to shut down discussion without having to generate any kind of counter-argument. The fact that a rich and old heiress is using it doesn’t further the cause; it does the opposite.

quickwhips

Jan 26, 2009
It’s really not that serious.

Everyone is trying to politicize it, but it’s just a way of hilariously ignoring Boomer stupidity, that also turned into a fun insult.

We don’t need this to be super-serious generation warz, or another retarded political meme.
Wait do you think I'm a boomer? I thought you were just an Eric Foreman?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
It is such an obnoxious meme. Like every millennial meme it’s just a thing other generations did before but they present it as some brand new thing. “Don’t trust anyone over 30” was referenced in the first Planet of the Apes movie in 1969.

Of course the new version has all the telltale signs of being smug and bitchy and dismissive and entitled all at once. “Don’t trust...” was a direct call to action, this is just some pointless snark

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
It is such an obnoxious meme. Like every millennial meme it’s just a thing other generations did before but they present it as some brand new thing. “Don’t trust anyone over 30” was referenced in the first Planet of the Apes movie in 1969.

Of course the new version has all the telltale signs of being smug and bitchy and dismissive and entitled all at once. “Don’t trust...” was a direct call to action, this is just some pointless snark
Logan's Run, anyone?

Shrap

Aug 26, 2019
I didn't realise this meme originated from responding to older people who are telling them to stop with things like cancel culture and virtue signalling. Now it just comes off as a weak passive aggressive insult because young people would rather put their fingers in their ears rather than consider genuine advice and criticism.

Older (and especially elder) people really don't get much respect in western countries. It's shameful to see. Especially when you visit other countries, such as many in Asia, and see how well they treat older people.

Reactions: Teslerum

Cleared_Hot

Feb 25, 2018
Ok Boomer, being said by melenial liberals, is the most obvious thing. Liberals are the most prejudice people, yet they don't ever know it.

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018

ok boomer

Captiosus

Jun 7, 2013
"OK Boomer" and "Entitled Millennial" are two sides of the same shit-forged coin. Neither really mean anything, they just exist to handwave away someone who has a differing opinion. I don't see any reason to be offended by either because they say more about the attitude of the person (unironically) using the phrases than it does about the person they're trying to offend with them.

If I'm trying to have a discussion with someone and their only response is "OK boomer" or "typical entitled millennial", I already know that person isn't worth my time. They've closed off their mind and don't care for rational discussion. I don't find that offensive, just sad.

-Arcadia-

Aug 20, 2019
"OK Boomer" and "Entitled Millennial" are two sides of the same shit-forged coin. Neither really mean anything, they just exist to handwave away someone who has a differing opinion. I don't see any reason to be offended by either because they say more about the attitude of the person (unironically) using the phrases than it does about the person they're trying to offend with them.

If I'm trying to have a discussion with someone and their only response is "OK boomer" or "typical entitled millennial", I already know that person isn't worth my time. They've closed off their mind and don't care for rational discussion. I don't find that offensive, just sad.
Ok boomer

• LOL
Reactions: Captiosus and brap

Teslerum

Nov 29, 2018
It's a shitty handwave term to dismiss arguments versus engage.
I just had to listen to an excruciating 10 minute segement about the term on our state-sponsored radio.
And I can't agree more. It's snarky, it's designed to piss people off and as a consequence it seeds hate.

Why is us, as a society, losing respect suddenly a good thing? My parents were born during the baby boomer generation, a lot of my teachers were. People who's opinion I very much respect. We're not suddenly better people just because we were born 20 years later. That's insane.

Last edited:

KorbinDallas

Oct 8, 2019
Boomers may be the worst but this is low-effort trolling by her. That tweet thread by her was completely cringe.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
We're not suddenly better people just because we were born 20 years later. That's insane.
We're also not WORSE people because we were born 20 years later. That is equally insane. And it has nothing to do with age, it has to do with mentality.

But its was never meant as anything serious, and it shows just how fragile human ego is that boomers are so offended by this, especially considering the years and years of hit pieces that boomers have piled on top of millennials.